Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shannon Water for Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not Dublners' fault if you can't get your **** together

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm saying is that this proposed project is daft. Saying that Dublin is expanding too much and that it is sucking resources from the rest of the country is fact. Just look at the Shannon airport stopover. Much of the EU funds were spend in the east and Dublin and not in the rest of the country where it is needed more. It would make sense to call stop on this and create another city near the water and the space. Dublin should look to its own area to find water that may include, charges use of rainwater, canals and other methods.

I make no apologies for criticising Dublin for its problems which include traffic, housing, crime and now water shortages all brought about by the assumption Dublin will continue to grow unchecked. Will it become bigger that the rest of the country? Hopefully not.

Strawman arguments.

The Dublin port tunnel was and is in Dublin and didn't involve carting resources at great cost from the rest of the country. Dublin is choking on itself and you can't see that a new counterbalance would benefit the country as a whole. Of course a city area would be cheaper to service that a less built up area and I never made that claim. The water issue is a symptom of unbalanced development but you and many others seem to be blind to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

When Dublin wanted electricity, they dammed the Shannon and then shipped most of the power from Ardnacrusha back to Dublin. Now, not satisfied with just the elecricity the water made, Dublin want's the water as well.

Lets face it, the only version of Ireland that made sense was when Killaloe was the capital, not the illogical version where a Norse viking slave trading compound was expanded beyond it's means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Again have a look at the region that will benefit.

Government and IDA cant just force people to move (business and personnel) to Athlone. Give the hatched area increased supply and let the market decide where is best between Drogheda, Balloinasloe and Arlow.

Nobody is saying move people or existing business to Athlone but rather to make most new developments outside Dublin where this isn't a water issue or many other issues. The market! Leave the water where it is and let the market decide then? This water pipe is 99% for Dublin and surrounds.

My bad I meant move new business etc not existing, just to clear that up.

99% for Dublin and surrounds. Exactly! Tullamore, Portlaoise and Carlow surround Dublin and they need stable plentiful supply to grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just going to nip this mythical fallicy that Dublin costs money in the bud. Dublin costs the rest of the country Z€RO. Everything in Dublin and further afield is payed for by Dublin and when it comes to water extraction the city will foot the bill for all taking avail of it.

Absolutely agree that there should be a counterbalance. In the West or MidWest, but there just doesn't seem to be an appetite for it. We've had centuries of leaders from every part of the country but all of them seem to be content with Dublin being the capital and suckling off it's teat.

Our 'leaders' were taken in by Dublin and the Civil Service by not Making the Capital Athlone as was proposed on the foundation of the state. Anyway back then and until the last 30 years or so Dublin city's unsustainable expansion was not so much an issue as it is now. Dublin does not pay for everything people are taxed all over the country. EU money has provided much funding too. Perhaps you would like a Dublin City State and the rest of the country run itself?

• Advertisement

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭riddles

The water from the Shannon wouldn’t be the best to be drinking.

Areas of cutaway bog could be flooded and used as reservoirs - install pipes under the grand canal reducing the cost and also renovating the canal in the process.

No it's NOT a fact.

Dublin does not suck resources from the rest of the country, the rest of the country is sucking revenue out of Dublin!

The Shannon stopover was one of the worst acts of economic self-sabotage in our country's history. The whole country suffered for the benefit of one small town. Crazy.

Can you substantiate your claim about EU funds? Doubtful.

Ireland does not need another city. We should be encouraging the other cities to develop, but we have a remarkably anti-urban legislature and a mentality that unsustainable, car-dependent, environment-destroying one-off housing is somehow desirable.

Scrap the cap!

Be careful, very careful what you wish for.

Dublin would be an extremely successful city-state.

The rest of the country would be impoverished, we'd have refugees coming from 25 counties… build the wall!

Scrap the cap!

The water would be treated, same as water coming from any other river. The objections get sillier and sillier.

Scrap the cap!

I actually had a look on the CSO website for statistics showing public ependiture per head by region, but didn't notice any. I even emailed them in April, but ran into typical Irish civil service efficiency and a response that someone else would get back to me - didn't say in which century.

So would you mind sharing the source of this information that I failed to find and which the CSO failed to point me to.

If Dublin is the countries economic hub, if it was to retain the money it spreads around the counties the rest of the country would flounder in a matter of months, it's a stupid, financially unviable idea. It's almost as stupid as your idea of taking water from the Shannon via canals!

The info is out there, you just have to look for it. Here's the Wikipedia page about the economy of Dublin, and there's also an article from the Indo about the concerns of some Dublin councillors. If you keep looking you'll find all sorts of reports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Dublin

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/rural-councils-given-50-times-cash-of-dublin/30107352.html

Dublin accounts for €157 billion of the country’s Gross Domestic Product, which equates to 42% of the national figure.

The population of the Dublin City and County (Dublin City, Fingal, South
    Dublin and Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown) and Outer Greater Dublin (Meath,
    Kildare and Wicklow) as of the 2022 census was 2,082,605 persons. This equates to 40.5% of Ireland's population.

With the population and GDP percentages basically being about the same, this implies that it's unlikely Dublin is propping up the rest of the country given 58% of the GDP must be coming from the other 59.5% of the population.

• Advertisement

Is the GDP figure (Hill 16 is) Dublin only but the population includes Kildare, Meath and Wicklow?

In other words excluding Intel from your arithmetic....

Yes in fact the Southern region is the richest in the country.

Who would you get to build it! Anyway the rest of the country might be happy to help with that project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭65535

Dublin and the East Coast is hyper developed when you consider that the 2 largest cities outside of Dublin are not connected with a motorway between them.

Ireland for such a small place is too centralised with no power being devolved to the provinces.

Dublin is not able to keep growing as it is, of course another approach is needed. The water is just one symptom of the problem. I mean on a rain lashed island Dublin can't get enough water to meet the demand nearby!

As for the benefit of one small town (Shannon) that's just willful ignorance or a false narrative. Shannon airport benefited the whole west coast and saved Dublin airport from being too busy. Something else that could be revisited but those who make the decisions are in Dublin, I guess.

As it stands Americans mainly fly into Dublin stay in busy hotels and bus to the Cliffs of Moher etc. on day trips! Mad when they could be there form the start. Not to mention the loss to the local economy.

That's because Dublin is a top tourist attraction. Americans want to see the capital, then it's a very short trip (by American standards) to Mayo. People don't want to fly in to Shannon, they want to fly in to Dublin, that's where the business is and it's the cultural epicentre of the country.

• Advertisement

Ok, let's use your own wiki link:

According to 2022 figures, the GDP of Greater Dublin was approximately $244 billion,[8] representing over 40% of Irish GDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Dublin

And according to the Dublin Chamber of Commerce:

The population of the Greater Dublin Area is 2.1 million as of 2022 Census, accounting for approximately 40.5% of the total population of Ireland.

https://www.dublinchamber.ie/About-Us/Economic-Profile-of-Dublin

I'm guessing you have forgotten in your home-town chest puffing that Apple and Pfizer are in Cork.

Busman didn't put those links up, but anyway, no, if you read back on my posts I said that the cities support the hinterlands in Ireland. Cork is no exception, a powerhouse supporting the region. Cork County and Dublin are exceptional for business and generating money.

Chest puffing getting the better of you methinks

I've stated multiple times that the M20 is an essential piece of infrastructure, but that changes nothing in relation to the poor return Dubliners get on their taxes.

Scrap the cap!

Saved Dublin Airport from being too busy… lol… I've heard all sorts of delusion now.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

One MEP candidate is running with the slogan 'There's more to Ireland than Dublin', so true. If ever there was a metric that shows a city has outgrown itself it would be that it needs water from across the country! Maybe in a Desert but on a rain soaked Island!

That's somewhat depressing to be honest. As a nation we sometimes have the maturity of a ten year old.

Anyway, I'll wait for planning submission to go in.

That sort of stuff goes down well with a certain audience unfortunately, and the whole country suffers as a result.

Scrap the cap!

Yes. I'm sure that the environmental engineers will find a protected species or two along the proposed route.

There is a lot of truth in it. As things stand the whole country suffers from an over centralized economy based on an ever expanding Dublin city.

It isn't only Frank McDonald that writes about it..

https://www.mmcqs.com/post/our-inside-secrets-1

Post edited by saabsaab on

Just to put this assertion that Dublin carries the economic burden of the rest of the country on it's uncomplaining, heroic shoulders, to rest.

I emailed the CSO asking for a breakdown of public expenditure by region, and received this reply:

I contacted our National Accounts section again and it appears that they missed your email first time around. Apologies for this and the subsequent delay in responding.

They have just advised me that unfortunately the CSO doesn’t have a regional breakdown of any expenditure data.

So I'll regard all claims to know that Dublin subsidises the rest of the country as being false, given even the CSO doesn't have the requisite data to base such claims on.

That's good work and fair play to you for going the extra mile to follow that up.

Without the requisite data we too must ignore simple claims that Dublin gets everything, and the country outside the M50 suffers.

I see what you did there very clever! However, the issues such as water, traffic etc. are there and feeding the monster won't cure it.

Looks like the Government has given the go ahead for this madness. Didn't see it on the local media?

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c288ewj3831o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

The population growth has been massive in recent decades, particularly in the greater Dublin area. Unless this changes, people need water. Its good that the government are taking action rather than just allowing a system of water shortages to develop (or maybe that should be worsen?)

• Advertisement

Nobody other than a few begrudging cranks are going to complain about supplying water to half the population. Of course it got cabinet approval, we've being trying to tell you this for throughout the thread, even your own survey told you that.

The massive expansion of Dublin is the problem. Bring development to the resource not the other way around.

Agreed, we need a swing city. A counteracting economic & cultural hub. However this thread was set up to discuss the success of Shannon water to the East.

The counties mentioned to you numerous times still need water and it will come from the Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn't dismiss all the concerns as the work of a few begrudging cranks.

The Shannon still needs to be looked after and that task currently falls to the people in it's catchment.

They reap the benefits of the river IE. tourism, leisure activities.

They also have to put up with the downsides IE.flooding, restrictions on agriculture to protect water quality.

It would seem only fair that Dublin and other areas outside the catchment who want the water should have some responsibility for the river.

Absolutely the Shannon needs to be protected and looked after. It's a jewel of the nation and the nation will look after it & be responsible for it. There are already lots of eyes on the river, the Shannon Flood Risk State Agency Co-ordination Working Group comes under the chairmanship of the OPW in Dublin. Its members are at Chief Executive Officer level or equivalent, representing the following State Agencies: OPW, ESB, IFI, DHLGH, Bord na Móna, EPA, Irish Water and Local Authorities, represented by the CCMA Waterways Ireland, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, so lots of agencies looking after the Shannon.

A maximum of 2% of the average flow will be extracted from a river that's currently overflowing and flooding houses every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭standardg60

The people in the catchment area of the Shannon 'look after' it as much as I look after the Liffey.

We can certainly agree on the importance of the Shannon.

Over the years the proliferation of agencies you mention has often proved more of a hindrance than a help.

My point though was that the involvement of various interests, local communities, environmental groups etc. in the abstraction process is to be welcomed not dismissed.

You probably know that the volumes proposed for abstraction will have no effect on flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭standardg60

No they're just cranks, the spokesperson for the 'protection' committee said they should take the water from the Grand canal instead ffs

Involving some environmental groups would be OK. Local communities, not too sure about that one. Could turn into a series of groups looking for cash.

• Advertisement

You may have heard of The Aarhus Convention.

The principle of public participation in environmental descion making is well established in the EU.

It doesn't mean that the same weight is given to frivolous or impractical interventions as to more considered or sensible interventions.

We are talking about access to justice here not a charter for cranks.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/the-case-for-public-participation

https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/the-case-for-public-participation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement