Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does anyone know if Stuart McCloskey's injury is serious enough to keep him out of the QF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Eh no. The taxpayer is paying teachers to educate children, and doesn't differentiate on where the school is or who goes, exactly like it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

God bless you! California… it looks like a mad house at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

You could make an argument that the taxpayer pays what they need to pay.

Lots of things are means tested. If those schools can afford to pay for their own teachers, maybe they should?

On the other hand, i don't really care either way.

Wasn't able to watch the game but watched it early this morning. I was a bit dubious on Murphy but totally all in now tbh.

So lads! How d'ya like Richie?

• Advertisement

I was mainly excited about how it would affect academy intakes but i've progressed to just excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Very pleased, but it's hard to tell how much is him and how much is simply the absence of McFarland. These are not players suddenly coming good at last - these are players who were humming under Peel and Payne and whose performances went abruptly south once those two weren't around to challenge McFarland.

It's a massive improvement whatever way you look at it. Next season will be tough, though, losing nine players and bringing in two. Duffy should bring some good stuff to the table, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Depends on where you get your media. Right wingers used to detest NYC so it was always the moral panic story: drugs, degeneracy, black people! But 9/11 and a cop mayor meant there was a vacancy for somewhere new that's destroying America, helped of course by the guys who own a lot of media not wanting to pay any tax.

Yea, Cali is generally a great place to live. Its just like most great places these days its getting less affordable.

American generally is a land of blue city vs red country in every state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭El Vino

Gosh Treadwell looked like a player that could do with a few months off to heal up, I've never seen a player with so many bandages. supports and strapping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Interesting suggestion on Baloucoune at 13, I think I'd prefer to try him there ahead of Kok. Kok throws himself about and is fully committed in the tackle but I certainly wouldn't consider him a canny defender. I'd be worried he would shoot up a lot and could get exposed. Baloucoune needs a new lease of life, switching to 13 could give him that.

Neither Treadwell nor O'Connor will be back for Leinster - McCloskey and McIlroy we have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Hoping at least Stu can make it back. Not saying it will change the result but could keep us in the game for longer

Leinster v Ulster, BKT United Rugby Championship Quarter-Final, Aviva Stadium, KO 5pm (Live on TG4, RTE, Premier Sports, BBC Sounds and URC.tv.

(15-9) Stewart Moore, Mike Lowry, Will Addison, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring (C), Tom O’Toole, Harry Sheridan, Cormac Izuchukwu, Matty Rea, David McCann, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Andy Warwick, Scott Wilson, Greg Jones, Dave Ewers, Nathan Doak, Ethan McIlroy, Jude Postlethwaite.

Stu's back! Izzy goes to second row because the cupboard is bare. If we lose him or Sheridan, presumably Rea Sr goes to second row and Ewers or Jones comes in.

I wonder what it is that Murphy sees in Jones - he's been happy to select Rea Jr and Crothers, both of whom are fit as far as I'm aware, so there's something about him that Murphy rates. I know with Matty Rea, he is good at the lineout.

Presumably Doak covering 9/10, with Lowry there if Cooney and Burns both have to go off.

SUFTUM!!!!

Purely out of curiousity, I did an age profile of our 23.

21 years old – Scott Wilson

22 years old – Harry Sheridan, Jude Postlethwaite, Nathan Doak

23 years old – David McCann, Tom Stewart, Ethan McIlroy

24 years old – Cormac Izuchukwu, Stewart Moore

25 years old – Tom O’Toole, Mike Lowry

26 years old –

27 years old –

28 years old – Eric O’Sullivan, Nick Timoney, Jacob Stockdale, Greg Jones (whut?)

29 years old – Billy Burns (30 next week!)

30 years old – Matty Rea

31 years old – Will Addison, Stuart McCloskey

32 years old –

33 years old – Andrew Warwick, Dave Ewers

34 years old – Rob Herring, John Cooney

we def look light in the second & back-row. Not many options to spring from the bench. Essentially we can only hope that the team put up a bit of a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yeah whos Greg Jones?

8 players in that 22-24 age group! That very encouraging because they are all players with real potential.

Interestingly Leinster have only 3. Baird, McCarthy, Osborne.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The age profile of leinsters squad certainly isn't an issue where youth is concerned.

It's a great testament to Murphy that he's given youth a chance, though injuries are a selector here too.

If prendergast gets on the field he'll be the youngest player on it.

Yeah, he's six months younger than Scott Wilson. Very excited about Wilson.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Greg Jones is a peripheral squad player. Hes really just an AIL level player but he gets called up to get 1 or 2 ulster caps each season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Same here, looks like an exciting modern day prop.

While he is indeed, the most impressive I have seen him is giving up nothing to Ox Niche. Niche had absolutely broken O'Toole (there was a Niche fanboy video that did the rounds after - in fairness, Niche had lifted him several feet off the ground) and after Wilson was subbed on - nothing.

Izzy off. Competitive while it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Is it just me or is Stockdale having a terrible game? Commentators seem to think he's playing brilliantly but all Im seeing is him nearly catching balls, nearly staying in field, etc. Brutal afternoon from Ulster, they had a couple of spells in the first half when if they'd scored it would have changed the complexion of the game entirely. Leinster's attack really isn't very good, but when it clicks they score. Big difference.

Considering the number of injuries we have I think we done ok.

Must admit I struggle to see Leinster winning the urc. The bulls will be a real test

I’m happy enough with this, we turned up today; just injuries and a gulf in finance that has killed us. Wasn’t like previous defeats where we just didn’t have the right mentality.

Leinster are winning nothing this year.

Allow the lads a nice summer break and then get a full preseason under Murphy. Some really great performances in the last 4 games. I'm more hopeful about the future than I was a few months back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As a Leinster fan I'll just say hard luck on the day,and I look forward to Murphy hopefully guiding ye back to where Ulster Rugby should be, fighting it out at the top of Champions Cup Pools, in the medals of the URC, and with packed houses under the lights at Ravenhill, providing a daunting venue for big beast teams like Toulouse.

Advertisement