Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,209 ✭✭✭✭km79

I would say 4K or so. Not bad . Some counties don’t even get that at home games…….

It took me 90 minutes to get there. Again not bad but shite road all the way. A spin to Dublin is easier . Won’t have to worry about they this year id say.

The lady beside me was from Ballycroy. Took here nearly 2 and a half hours.
    Short trip that alright 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

You were right, the help email told me I didn't "activate" my gift, doh. I was able to watch the Cavan game, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

He must've been taking it steady in the Yaris for that to take 2 1/2. It's an hour from all the population centres of the county. Half an hour from Ballagh if you want to go down that road

There was talk of 7k+ on the NY trip. All those boys hunkering down paying off the credit union loan for the next few years?

Mayo haven't brought a big crowd to a game since the 21 final. Last 3 championship trips to Croker had sweet FA, the Kildare game a particular lowlight. It's completely fine, every county has times of good support (i.e bandwagons) and times of crap. Donegal and Derry are good examples. Just as long as these self styled Mayo die-hards admit it was a bandwagon they were on in future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

9k in Cavan today for Dublin's round 2 match 😂

Nobody cares anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I see we're still living rent free in poor Avon's little head 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Cut people some slack. The current cost of living crisis is no joke. I've heard some dreadful stories lately attributed to it.

It's really tough out there and people have to chose wisely what games they are willing to attend if any at all.

I think more fixtures has a part to play, there's more a feeling of league than championship around these group games.

I was at Hyde Park today as a neutral and the atmosphere/buzz from both sets of fans was underwhelming. The intensity was below par aswell from both sides.

Every politician going for the Europeans in the constituency must have been outside. There a very grim feeling over the country at the minute I think in general that's seeped into our national games.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I agree wholeheartedly with this. There's a perception out there in the media and in the gaa that people should be packing out every match like it's peak 90s knockout football.

There's even more matches than ever before with less jeopardy i.e. nearly always another bigger day coming down the line for a lot of teams, at least 2 matches per monthly paycheque but if its a dual county you could be expected by the gaa to make it to at least 3 matches per month. That's way too much to expect of people. Not to mind the actual logistics of having other run of the mill family things on those days, or even not wanting to be gone all Sunday 3 times a month to go to matches. Games should all be in small grounds and priced much lower than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Treble double

I think everyone in the country was behind Mayo for five or six years, when they played that all action brand of football and brought the Dubs and Kerry to the brink on a number of occasions. Everyone wanted to be there when they finally got over the line. But then when they beat the Dubs and couldn't get over the line in the final in 21 that was the end of the love in and I'd say it broke Mayo supporters too. Plus as has been said above in the current climate you have to pick and choose your games it's way too expensive and ticket prices are on the increase. Sell out crowds from now on will only be at the marquis occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

basically its armchair season in the gaa , every sort of tomdick and harry turns up with an opinion , donal og cusack is there main representative on the sunday game too regardless of what code they follow 🙄 ……despite how pure the game of hurling is or how much of a fabric it holds on all of us😶😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think the fact that Mayo v Roscommon in the league on a wet , miserable night in March had a bigger attendance than the game yesterday tells you all you need to know about the current format, now it doesn’t help that Mayo aren’t the force they used to be, but there just isn’t enough on the line in these group games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Even Roscommon can qualify still are losing 3 games to mayo. It's makes a joke of it.

Even Dublin can't get a crowd.

Mayo Vs Dublin in 2 weeks and then a preliminary QF and then possibly a QF, 3 games in 3 weeks.

5 games in 8 weeks. Thats a lot of money.

When in reality you could save the money on the first 2 games and then go to the Dublin game and the preliminary QF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Is there any video coverage of Fergal Bolands sending off. Someone was saying to me this morning that it might be mistaken identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Not mistaken identity but clearly a wrong call by the ref

https://x.com/eoghanclogher/status/1797043586359243211?t=7ysXUPDxSLsLMpHC8y-fCQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think it was that lineswoman that made the call. I was sitting behind her for a lot of the game. She had a real attitude problem. Couple of times shouting into the players that she was keeping an eye on them. And warning them about last chances etc. When Fergal got the red card, he was looking over at her, in a manner like - what the fu@k are you doing?

Seemed to catch Ultan Carney by accident with his shoulder. From the video, it looked like Donnacha McHugh gave a little nudge to Carney, which edged him towards Boland, and his head clashed into Fergals shoulder. I'm watching it on my phone, so its not that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

'His head smashed into Fergal's shoulder' LOL! Poor Fergal! Is he OK??? Harvey (Not Carney 🙄) should probably gotten a yellow for hitting poor Fergal!!

Margin call, looked from the angle like a shoulder to the head of a player that was wide open,lookwd like poor Fergal was liking to put a hit in his opponent when he saw the opportunity ... Didn't quite connect as he intended and would normally be given as a yellow, but easy to see why a referee could interpret it as a red (force involved, frontal shoulder ie not shoulder to shoulder, ball was gone.)

Dumb challenge so late in the game, asked the question of the officials that didn't need to be asked really, and could cost him a game suspended and it's a bad time of the season to be missing games, might be hard to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just related to that on the GAAGO I was told that if I brought an Amazon Firestick, I would be able to watch GAAGO for free.

But it does not seem to be free for me.

Does anyone know anything about that?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The level of activity on this thread says otherwise

Plus the fact that you are in such a rush and hurry to find out information, and state that no one cares is a bit of an oxymoron in itself. As you obviously do care!

But you are like the recovering alcoholic who cannot face going to the pubs anymore. So says "There is no one in them". So you can pretend you are not missing anything. You want everyone else to be just as miserable as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I was listening to the Donegal game on the radio and was jumping around the room when Cork won. I think I must have developed a dislike for Donegal as a Derry fan.

Also Martin McHugh spouts some drivel, how has that man had a 25+ year career in the media? He was saying that Tyrone play Westmeath tomorrow when they actually play Clare.

I then was listening to Martin Carney, I had to turn off as I couldn't listen to him fumble his words any longer.

Theres a lot of recovering alcoholics especially Dublin fans if that's the case. Only a few hardcore loonies with nothing better to do left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭overshoot

Plenty comments earlier on Ulster being overrated but thought Donegal looked tired yesterday on the highlights. It’s the 5th game in 6 weeks, 2 with extra time, cork being the first team who won’t be d1 next year, and 12hrs on a bus to/from… for amateur players.

Corks second game since they played the Munster semi v kerry/same day Donegal opened their campaign in an Ulster quarter v Derry.
    timing is definitely off on the championship format. Provincials could certainly align more even if it means some start earlier or later.

In saying all that though, cork took their scored well/will be a good lesson for the lads. Would like to see a resurgent cork/meath/kildare/etc to bring more balance around the provinces. Don’t have the answer but would rather more talk on how to get them to push on rather than rid of the provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

Cork city marathon on today so hotels be busy last night so make it expensive and the bank holiday to add some extra cost.

Even well ahead in second half cluxton not letting the defenders slack off but giving plenty of orders on marking up and watching runners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

10 v 3 for Kerry at ht

Snorefest in reality.

Meath seem incapable of kicking the ball over the bar. Diffetent players, different positions, wide after wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

Snooze fest in navan. Kerry in control. What a bore fest of a football championship.

Delighted for the GAA. You reap what you sow.

Bring on the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

I agree 100 per cent with you, this format has backfired and people are showing it

The format and let's be honest the lack of competitiveness. Dublin have won 19 Leinster's in 20 year's in what was once the Munster hurling of football with massive attendances drawing interest to the championship as a whole.

And they've won god knows how many all Irelands since 2011. People get bored of the same winners. They've just added more matches to in all likelihood see Dublin and maybe Kerry win it.

Hurling championship superior in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Meath must have had 10 wides in that half, some of them criminal. Cricket score could be coming in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Bunch of athletes running around a field. Boring, boring, boring.

• Advertisement

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Advertisement