Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Polls from all 3 constituencies...

With 4 seats here you need about 20% to hit quota. You have to assume Doherty and Andrews are safe. The question then is how transfer friendly the next candidates are. Sinn Féin are not the most transfer friendly of parties and who will Niall Boylan get transfers from?

Between Labour, Soc Dems and Greens there's 19.4% combined, so you could see 1 of those 3 getting through as they have similar voters and should transfer well.

Target here is around 16-17% which means Kelly looks to be elected on first count, and Kelleher easily in too. You babe to assume that McNamara and Funchion get in too. Last seat is a toss-up then.

The fact that the 2nd blueshirt is behind Derek Blighe is both worrying in general but also embarrassing for Fine Gael.

Tighter here all round. Fianna Fail look like they'll actually get a seat here, and Maria Walsh is holding her own. Incumbency counts for a lot in Europe... Sinn fein could struggle here where they should be absolutely getting at least 1 seat.

Have the wheels fallen off the Ciaran Mullooly train or was he always this low?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Casey and McHugh not even featuring in MNW. That's interesting.

I cannot see what the people of Dublin see in Regina.

Smith transfers will go to Niall Boylan and Daly. Boylan will sneak in.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

that MNW Poll versus PaddyPower odds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mulooly and DJ Boylan have been very short odds for a seat since the start of the campaign, yet this hasn't been reflected in any polls I've seen. Are the bookies being ultra-cautious with the odds for 'unknown quantity' candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

Ireland should not be a member of the EU. It gets all the benefits of being in Europe without contributing to its security. Not one bullet has gone from this country to Ukraine, thus aiding Russian terrorism. Instead, Ireland decided to recognise the acts of terror committed by an imaginary country, in the middle east, whose only goal is to erase Jewry from the planet.

Not that Ireland has any bullets to give to Ukraine. Instead, it parasitically uses the security of other nations for its own ends, so that it doesn't have to pay for an air force (a small transport corps in its place), no army (a glorified Gendarmerie in its place) and no navy (merely a coast guard).

No wonder illegal immigrants can just walk into a country surrounded by water. The last time I took a ferry there was an additional African on the foot passenger bus who was not there when we boarded in Wales. No documentation. The border guard let him through.

Everything our grand and great grand parents did for this country has been erased. Out of the British Empire and into the Franco-German Empire. The wealth of Ireland used to flow to London, now it flows to Brussels. In return, Ireland gets the detritus that nobody else in Europe wants. From protestant hegemony to eventual islamic hegemony - there is a price for sucking up to islamists and waving their flag. The price of being a leech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

These polls aren't worth a ****, they completely overestimate the establishment vote and underestimate the protest type vote . Just look how wrong they were in the run up to the last election. I reckon that's what the bookies are factoring in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

Looks like a big Anti-immigrant bounce for FG.
    There’ll be no let up on the tents now till the election is over

Depressing that this race to the bottom with the far-right is being rewarded

There's nothing sinister about the bookie's prices. They're just terrible. They're ensuring that regardless of the outcome they're not going to be caught out.

Some examples from that book of how they are ripping people off:

1. The likes of John Waters and Michelle Smith should be greater than 100/1. Instead they're 9/1 and 10/1
    2. You can covert prices to implied percentages, for example Evens is 50%. 2/1 is 33.3%. 1/2 is 66.6%. There are 5 seats in MNW. Therefore if you add the totals for all the candidates it should come to 500%. However it never will because the bookie has to have an edge. So how much of an edge would be fair? Well if you added a 5% edge then the prices would add up to 525%. What does this MNW book add up to? 602.5%

If Betfair Exchange had this market then we'd see far more accurate pricing (since people can take the other side of the bet) but unfortunately it's not up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ivan Yates and Matt Cooper discussed briefly candidate odds on their podcast and mentioned that if you put say €500 down on 1 candidate it would have a big affect on the odds because so few people bet on votes.

So the polls are going to be more accurate than betting odds.

• Advertisement

I don't believe it will let up at all because as soon as this election is over the starting gun will effectively be fired for the General Election, which will be happening in 4-9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

How is it depressing that the Government is finally, grudgingly taking limited action to address the ludicrous situation where anyone can simply book a flight to Ireland and be guaranteed "own door accommodation" (Roderic O'Gorman's words, broadcast to the destitute of the world in a variety of languages on social media), free healthcare, endless social welfare etc. on arrival?

What's truly depressing is the fact that no one in Government, for the last ten years at least, clearly gave as much as five minute's thought to the inevitable consequences of such a policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No poll can predict the results.

There are too many candidates so the result depends on transfers, and as little as one vote could change the result hugely as the order of elimination could change based on that one vote - even at the fifth and sixth count, particularly with so many no party and no hope candidates.

That Dublin constituency is going to be fascinating. Yes the FG and FF candidates are top but they're still 5% off the quota and they don't have any running mates. Clare Daly will be delighted since she's seen a big jump in her numbers and crucially she's well ahead of Brid Smith. Even still though their combined total is around the 13% mark and you'd be wondering where are the transfers going to come from. The Sinn Fein vote is over 14% combined so same issue there too. Then if you combine the Green, LAB and Soc Dem vote you get over 19% but they're not going to transfer to each other that cleanly.

What's crucial here is there is 15% of the vote unaccounted for. Now a lot of that could be spread out amongst the many far-right candidates. I suspect much of that will make it's way to Niall Boylan.

If we think of these as blocs we have:

1. FG
    2. FF
    3. SF
    4. Soft left GRN/LAB/SD
    5. Hard-left I4C/PBP
    6. Hard-Right

Nobody is certain of a seat at this stage. The order of eliminations is going to be especially crucial.

For example SF need to stay ahead of the hard left cos they will likely be the chief beneficiaries from their transfers. In contrast Daly needs to stay ahead of Smith to get her transfers and then hope to leapfrog over Lynn Boylan to get some of hers.

There could be an outside scenario where FG and FF don't get over the threshold late on and it comes down to one transferring to the other. They'll both be hoping that they pick up transfers from Cuffe though if he goes out first.

I think you could see a really tight count where nobody gets elected in the first 5 or 6 counts and there's an absolute battle for the final few seats.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There wasn't a hint of any meaningful far right or anti immigration sentiments in Irish politics until the current Coalition let the 2 gentlemen in charge of the Department responsible for integration implement their "policies".

Sometimes it's worth thinking about the cause of some of these trends rather than rolling out the usual "far right" term which has become meaningless through overuse.

(I would argue strongly that Ireland is currently not experiencing "anti migration" sentiment but rather anti "the current car crash running of the system by Ministers O'Gorman and McEntee. I notice that this was echoed on this weekends edition of the Inside Politics podcast where anecdotes from canvassers report that "anti migration sentiment" is not universal and mainly coming from certain working areas and also from areas affected by the clown show approach by this Government e.g. areas where hotels are closed etc).

There is way too much conflating of anti Roderic/Helen incompetence and anti migrant sentiment.

And one mistake can change everything. I put 1000 Euro on Michael D at 5/2 about a minute after the infamous Gallagher FF bagman tweet question from Pat Kenny. MDH was evens the next day and romped home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

FG are polling very well in Dublin and only running 1 candidate so right place right time etc rather than candidate quality.

So Dublin Regina, Lynn and even Andrews should be ok but yeah I think N Boylan has work to do, he won't be transfer friendly and their is clearly a seat their for Labour/Greens and more likely Daly. Maybe Neil falls over the line?

Midlands, Ming was always safe, Walsh is cruising and Cowen will get it done. Then though yeah its messy, Ivan Yates was very bullish on Mulhooly and Indy's are polling superbly but not as bullish on him at all. The few polls I have seen from him he is doing mediocrely and Peader is a problem for him. Elsewhere no clue with SF gets in,,,,Nina Carberry has a chance for name recognition.

Down South Kelleher and Kelly are safe , Funchion and Mc Namara will be fine.

I can't get a read of Eddie Punch which complicates things, Yates very bullish on him and seen some very impressive polling numbers from the farmers journal so a good voting bloc to have but those numbers posted are dire.

Grace may hang on in the end at the expense of Wallace which would be absolutely terrible. Terrible I say.🤣

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Re: Eddie Punch. Lots of farmers in Ireland South but in the context of the whole constituency they are a small bloc. 3 cities in Ireland South to balance it out.

Yates seems more bullish on him winning a seat in Clare at the next GE (especially in the absence of McNamara should he be in Brussels).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah good summarization of Eddie. It does seem a big ask for 2 lads from Clare to win who are running relatively similar campaigns and aiming for the same voters and obviously Mc Namara has the name recognition.

Eddie more likely to win a seat in the GE.

So for the fifth seat….Wallace …O Sullivan and maybe Mullens?

• Advertisement

I think the bookies have been ultra cautious and probably think those lads will be transfer friendly. There aren't many good bargains out there. Eddie Punch in South at 13/5 could be a dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Derek blighe is surely up there in the running for the 5th seat as well

Extremely unlikely. He is transfer repellent so he'd need to get a personal vote of at least 10%. He's nowhere near that in any polls. His votes will ultimately likely end up with McNamara (or being non-transferrable).

I heard McNamara would still run for the Dail in Oct/Nov even if he wins an MEP seats.

Peadar Toibin said he would give his MEP seat to his sister and stay in Dail. I think that will lose him considerable votes.

Nope. Blighe will come nowhere near. And rightly so.

I listened to that podcast yesterday and I was very surprised at Yates being so bullish on Punch. He is the lowest profile of the 3 Independent Ireland candidates in the Euros - most voters haven't a clue who he is. He doesn't even feature in that latest poll which means he's polling less than 4%. He might do better than that but ultimately his votes I think will end up getting McNamara elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Really? Not my constituency, but who does he get the transfers off? I see no other similar candidates on that poll above, others (even Wallace) all have some people on similar estimated levels of support in the poll they are likely to get a few off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just to be clear, the 'guarantee' in the 'guaranteed own door accommodation' that you mention only exists inside your head, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

cannot fathom just how Walsh tops the polls here. Think PP is more on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yates seems to be popular for getting things wrong...

Advertisement