Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

How to you propose to solve the Irish Housing crisis then with 14,000 homeless and accommodate the daily arrivals of dozens of men over the N.I border or in the back of a lorry from France?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Correct and only that McCabe recorded his meetings with senior Gardai, he would have been successfully smeared. Look at the Tusla file issue too. They were after him from the very top. I think these bodycams will help keep both Garda and Citizen honest.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll be going for an independent in the locals but undecided on Europe so far.

I do know I'll certainly be staying well away from the great anti-immigration swindle, so no votes for the likes of Boylan, McNamara or Casey from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Strange you didn't quote this part in your reply there to @Bobtheman , kaiser ....

"Currently working nursing homes, student accommodation, housing earmarked for social housing or accommodation planned “for use by other arms of Government” will not be considered. The properties offered must have over 150 bed spaces."

I suppose doesn't suit your narrative .

At least you provided a link for people to check for themselves this time , if they have the sense to do so .

Always good to check the links for yourself I find .

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

He shouldn't have been allowed in here in the first place.

• Advertisement

"Currently working nursing homes, student accommodation, housing earmarked for social housing or accommodation planned “for use by other arms of Government” will not be considered. The properties offered must have over 150 bed spaces."

The keyword there, Goldengirl, is 'currently'. How long is currently going to be current, if you know what I mean. Things are moving fast. Six months from now, a year from now, five years from now, where will we be?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Discrimination!

Next you'll say those suspected of less serious crimes such as inflicting nonfatal torture on others or stealing from vulnerable people should not be allowed into Ireland.

We have international obligations. Anyone who requests asylum must be accommodated and processed no matter whether they have committed genocide. To do otherwise would be to 'other' those people.

Maybe we could have a new holiday, " Othering Sunday" :)) mind you, having it on a Sunday will be bound to offend somebody of some religion, either because it's on their holy day or because it's not on their holy day. Careful Ted, that might offend the girls ….

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Listening to the lady from Simon on the radio yesterday, it is plain that we have lost the ability to even house our own homeless, let alone those from the rest of the planet.

We have a government created crises that has been manufactured by following an ideology based almost entirely on feelings and not practicalities.

It is all very well saying that more housing should have been built, but it wasn't and it still isn't.

Meanwhile we have a shortage for anyone still in the country that will be very difficult to catch up.on and will take many years. Adding more and more people into this mix is just idiotic and not even nearly sustainable.

The idiots who got us into this situation are not going to get us out of it.

And neither are idiots who seem to think that shouting racist and bigot at all and sundry is a viable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Good point, maybe othering Monday 🤔. The prisons could be opened and all prisoners that have been othered released🎉.

Maybe the Zimbabwean asylum seeker suspected of triple murder could be invited back and given a roof over his head🏠.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ridiculous lengths posters will go to argue with posters they perceive to be on some 'opposing side '

The man is a criminal wanted in his own country for his crimes, any attempt to cause an argument over that appears very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Zimbabwean lads trial is kicking off back in Zimbabwe now.

Some info is coming out now about why he was deported to Mozambique too by the Irish government, his fake papers were from there. The idiot guards and government even after being told who he was wouldn't even double check, they just "can't speak on particulars" or some other such none sense and then help him make another getaway with his fake papers.

Luckily he got caught in Mozambique and they deported him to Zimbabwe.

Perhaps start building large scale social housing schemes, like the state did every other time there was a housing crisis in this country.

You do realise there are rules, and instances were people will not be eligible for refugees status, including war crimes, genocide and the likes, ya know? The legislation has been linked here many times, if you care to give it a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Where will the state accommodate the numbers of refugees and undocumented migrants until that happens? Tent encampments is the best these migrants can expect.

Deflection from the point BAAB

I pointed out the misinformation in that posters post to another which you have taken and run with .Nice try .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe read it again GG, particularly the piece I quoted. They want this property in addition to that which is already being used by government agencies, and for social housing.

Now where else might such housing come from? I'll give you a hint - property which is in the private rental sector, or the general housing market. They are even open to property currently under construction or in brand new developments, or housing that requires refurbishment to be habitable.

And while they may not yet be asking for housing from the student sector, the summer months are upon us and we have already seen last year that there was no hesitation in acquiring traditional student accommodation for the new arrivals.

Also, I think you'll find that I generally link to an article I quote from - if I recall right it's a site requirement and only a portion can be directly pasted. Feel free to check that one with the mods.

I'll write the petulant and personal tone of your response off to a bad day (which is a shame on such a nice one), but next time do read what you're replying to before you jump in with an attitude.

Nothing petulant except your response .

I read the post and link and that portion qualifies the statement you obliquely quoted

Why not make reference to it?

Don't start insulting people now just because they point out an omission .

• Advertisement

So long as the encampments have facilities, washing, toilets, social areas, there is nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah GG. I expected better really.

You ARE aware that the housing market isn't just social, student and government agency right?

There's also entire blocks of apartments in the private sector owned by investment funds, housing estates, and others that people who don't qualify for social housing rely on to keep a roof over their heads too.

They don't need housing already under the control of government agencies or used currently for social housing because they can already use those for the purpose of resettling new arrivals if they choose/are mandated to.

This is a very fluid situation as we've all witnessed over the last 2/3 years as Government have scrambled to address a problem entirely of their own making by renting hotels and other commercial buildings, offering financial incentives to property owners and landlords, and even large scale tented accommodation and supports in places like Stradbally.

If you think that anything with a roof that they have easy access to or control over isn't already under consideration then you haven't been paying attention.

But, there's elections on the way and these must be "dispensed" with first before normal service (as we've seen over the last 2 years) can be resumed on this issue. Only if they get enough of a shock and kicking at the polls is there a chance of the sounds-good-soundbites and tinkering at the edges of the controls currently underway becoming actually effective, and a real conversation on the future of Ireland's level of involvement possible.

The increasing support for independent candidates in the latest polls suggests that many have no faith in the current parties to resolve this or any other of the serious issues facing our country. While this may lead to political changes and potential instability in the short term if the polls translate to results, it will force the big 2 to reconsider their positions if they want to remain in power.

SF are already paying for their stance based on the same polls. FG and FF are a little more savvy than that. They may not like it, just as they didn't with the Irish Water climb down, but party survival and member self interest will always win out. Why else is Harris talking tough on enforcing controls and rules? It's not because he and the others have belatedly realised there's a problem, it's because their political survival is threatened.

Ultimately that's what it comes down to - not assisting refugees, not the Green agenda, not anything else. Pure, basic politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Rodders has come out of hiding briefly to call us far right racists and brag about his spuds. What a plonker!

I'm not trying to be a smart arse Goldie - I am also a 'lovely girl' btw :) Over the course of your posts you've said a lot of things that show you're what I'd call a 'normal' person .

I'm also what I hope is normal, not a rabid, far-right racist but I am worried about where we are heading and I'm really not happy about the thousands of men descending on Ireland at the moment and the projections of perhaps up to 30,000 of them this year alone.

I don't think you're being entirely fair to Kaiser who is a very intelligent, reflective person and speaks a lot of common sense. He also is far from being a nutjob racist.

On that subject though, I really don't think I or any other Irish person should have to apologise for wanting to live in a community that reflects who we are. It's not 'strange' or weird for an Irish person, a French person, a Greek person to want to live among their own people. I don't think any of us objects to foreign nationals coming here to work or study in moderate numbers. I don't think most of us object to some foreigners settling here permanently. I think we as a people have shown a warm welcome and compassion to the many true refugees who have come here over the years.

And when you look at our history of reaching out to those in need all over the world, we are among the most caring people on the planet. For example for years we were the only people who gave a toss about the children of Chernobyl. I remember a Ukrainian doctor in Chernobyl saying 'It's a miracle - how can so small a country have so big a heart?' I think that's why Irish people now are absolutely furious at how we are being taken advantage of and condescended to, told what nasty, bad, selfish people we are - really and truly adding insult to injury.

'I really don't think I or any other Irish person should have to apologise for wanting to live in a community that reflects who we are.'

Actively blocking people of other nationalities living in their area should be apologised for.

And when you look at our history of reaching out to those in need all over the world, we are among the most caring people on the planet. 

Its fairly clear that the Irish are very caring, so long as those in need don't expect much help actually in Ireland.

Complete bollocks based on our track record of welcoming refugees in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Because we know that a good percentage of those arriving now are not refugees from war perhaps

Most people I know feel that we are being taken advantage of and are reluctant to help now

My big concern is that those in real genuine need are not getting the help because they are competing with financial migrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Madness.

The fact that these rapists were aware of this loophole suggests they are getting legal assistance, presumably from an NGO or maybe even the likes of PBP or Labour?

Both men, who are on the sex offenders register, walked free on their release date and disappeared. The average processing time of asylum applications is approximately 18 months, meaning they are effectively free until then.

If that wasn't bad enough, these two rapists have disappeared and are roaming the country. Even if they are found, we will be stuck with them for 18 (!!!) months as it will take that long to have their claim processed.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement