Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭pureza

She will.

The right wingers will get bored when the scatter of seperate candidates that they are lose their deposits in the Euro's

Thats the thing about the poll...answering independent means someone different and un connected in each constituency is being promised a vote

A dis jointed vote vs a party vote

The anti government vote will come home to Sinn Féin once theres less hoo ha about migrants,with those voters realising voting independent doesn't do the job

If this is the focus of the 'change starts here' slogan,it's genius

Those thinking the sinn Féin show is over are deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think only a tiny fraction of those opting for independents are ‘far right or right’.
    I agree, many will be up for grabs but they won’t be going to the government parties and SF will be happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's an odd photo and clerly a wind machine was been used…..who every came up with that idea should go back to drawing board :-)

I wonder did they pay for them this time? or screw over another small business…..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You are trying a bit too hard to tell us all that "nothing to worry"

Somehow I think you are trying to tell yourself….don't worry, SF will continue to stick Mary Lou complaining about everything and the faux outrage Pearse after her, she people love that don't they?

They will be back in no time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Focusing on the GE...People can still vote independent if they choose to do so.

I am not surprised to see indies becoming the largest supported "party"and predicted same earlier in the year, but the current poll only spells bad news for SF and makes an FFG led govt even more likley than it has been for the last 2 years; and it has always been the most likley outcome anyway.

• Advertisement

Looking at what they are saying and doing I think there is definitely a strategy in play.
    They aren't chasing the vote like FG have been doing so I reckon they are playing the long game and feel a good bit of it can be won back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭DataDude

The polls wouldn’t support this view - they explicitly asked that question:

“This means almost one in four voters are planning to vote for Independent candidates or those representing small political parties.

In a forced choice, the public voted overwhelming in favour of the next government being a combination of Fine Gael-Fianna Fail-Independents (59pc) rather than a Sinn Féin led government excluding Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil (41pc).”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

😄😄😄😄😄

You should have been a comedian

Slava Ukrainii

Why’s that?

They laughed when I predicted Leo would lead his crew back ti GE numbers.
    If MLMD can’t deliver she will no doubt face the same end as Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Are SF the first party ever to be found out without actually being in Government??!!....its like watching Eamon Gilmore telling us its Labours way or Frankfurts way!

Shambles!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Were SF ever that popular? They were the convenient recipients of a protest vote it now seems

Look at Martin Browne in Tipp, from losing a council seat to getting 10000 FPVs in the space of a few months. The same happened all over the country in 2020.

What did he or SF do to make the gains? Well, nothing except shout loudest really. The independents are shouting louder now and SF have lost their voice

You mean she'd take her own decision to resign ?

That'll never happen

Sinn féin will rise and rise in the polls and elections again as they're a recognised opposition party,theres no other logical place for change voters

Saying in a poll you'll vote independent is one thing..

But in reality on a ballot paper,loads of people picking the same independent wont happen

So converting to seats is much harder

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Extreme Comical Ali levels of denial here.

SF have failed to provide a viable opposition - people have given up on a front bench that's aging and based entirely on shouting.

They're in Government in NI, again; and doing stuff that's entirely opposed to what they claim they'd do down here - the realities of coalition, something they attacked other parties for doing. And people are able to see the results of their efforts in Stormont.

How would they win votes back?

More and more people have realised that they dont have thought out policies and those that thought they would be anti-immigration have realised slowly what the rest of us already knew; that of course, they are not.

On the other side of the power struggle, there has obviously been an uptick in support for FG since Harris took over.

He is a little more centre right than LV was and has read the room well in terms of immigration policy.

FG will likley be ahead of SF come the next poll and a November election looks more and more likley.

How would they win votes back?

I don't know how long you have been into politics.

A party's polling will go up and down.

Within the margin for error SF haven't lost a single vote yet.

What they seem to be doing IMO is holding fire, not chasing that 'angry about immigration' vote and they seem happy to let that vote go if it wants a right wing approach to immigration.

Personally I would be more worried about the right wing making ground here than whether SF get into government or not.

I would be concerned about the far right wing making gains also.

But at the end of the day, SF supporters are the most anti-immigration of the big 3 parties. So having an immigration policy that does not accord with that sentiment is losing them votes.

Waitng in the long grass and doing nothing isn't going to change that fact, nor is it going to reverse the vote losing trend.

Meanwhile, as FG toughen up on immigration, they will win back more votes from those concerned about immigration; particularly those that do not want to support a far right party, as you rightly say.

is losing them votes.

But they haven't lost votes. They are well up in polling on their last EU outing. I haven't seen local election polling and within the margin of error they still have the % they had at the last GE.

Meanwhile, as FG toughen up on immigration, they will win back more votes from those concerned about immigration; particularly those that do not want to support a far right party, as you rightly say.

I would contend this is the riskier strategy from FG - when their hardened 'stance' doesn't match what is actually happening they could be left very exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why would I worry?

A few reasons.

The first is that you dont want that right wing vote at all near SF and have been explicit about not wanting SF to court it.

The second is that you dont want SF anywhere near a rotating Taoiseach arrangement with FF or FG or other.

Given the latest poll numbers SF have the following choices.

If they want to be the biggest party in the next GE they will need some about turn and turn right-wing and nativist on things like immigration. This should worry you.

If they want to retain the role of Taoiseach in any new government, they will want to have substantially more seats than say FF. At the moment it looks like the 2 parties will be very close. This should also worry you.

Or are you happy with SF to sit it out yet again?

@FrancieBrady havent Sinn Féin lost potential votes though,thats what polls predict and secondly,who could be happy in Sinn Féin after nearly 5 years of opposition to be back below where they started?

Isn't that quite damning of their strategists and Mary Lou's leadership ?

To be level with the main opposition party after 13 years in power is surely a monumental win for Fine Gael ?

I don't see how any of the above is deniable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

you must be dizzy as fcuk with all that spinning

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The anti government vote will come home to Sinn Féin once theres less hoo ha about migrants,with those voters realising voting independent doesn't do the job

There is absolutely no reason why that would happen. We have seen that the vote for SF is as soft as the snow. SF core vote is approx 10%, not 25%, not 35%.

There was some good analysis in the Sunday Indo, the term "The herd has moved" was used and it was correct in this instance. People flocked to SF back in 2021/2022 as they were annoyed with the government, now the same herd has moved away from them, mostly to Indos but also FG is getting a slight bump too.

MLMD has been invisible for these last 12 months. Like, where is she?

She was over in Boston at a $500-a-plate fundraising BBQ the other week, while her candidates were out knocking on doors and getting run out of the place in more working-class areas, as some reports are being told. Not a good look.

We all know the boys in West Belfast run the party and put forward policy and they are far removed from the nature of politics in the south.

SF should be romping up to victory with a 35%+ of the vote, but instead, they could be nearer 20%.

An absolute disaster and cluster **** of epic proportions.

PhD's and books will be written about this fall from grace.

SF will spin it as a win regardless, but the fact is, if SF get 22% of the vote in a GE they will lose seats. Astonishing.

I am not a SF member, and my goal re: the future of the country is to end the power swapping between FG and FF. If SF are not capable of doing that I will look to the next best opportunity.
    You are correct - I don't want any party I vote for to court that right-wing vote.
    You are incorrect on - The second is that you don't want SF anywhere near a rotating Taoiseach arrangement with FF or FG or other.

I would prefer they didn't enter the above arrangements but I understand that may not be possible.
    No issue with them sitting it out, if they cannot negotiate a programme for government that is satisfactory.

Sinn Féin lost potential votes though,

Absolutely they have. But not actual votes.

FG are doing well at the moment is undeniable too and hasn't been denied by me anyway.

They are losing support in the polls, which is basically losing votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Francie is probably right in that SF never really had the true support suggested by the polls. The rise in 2020 was not driven by people buying into SF policies, or believing in the quality of their candidates. It was largely a protest vote and SF was the most convenient home for those votes. I mean, are we really to believe that the electorate thought Eoin OBroin, Pearse Doherty, Matt Carthy and David Cullinane had the stuff to address the big issues in the country? Or that Johnny Mythen, Martin Browne and Brian Stanley were being sent to the Dail to deliver a radical legislative agenda? Not very likely, but the votes all counted.

Even SF themselves were caught on the hop with the election outcomes FFS. The problem for them this time around is that people are looking at them closely as potential leader in power, not a 'screw you' vote against the government parties.

The thought process of voters will sharpen on SF as a result. Can they deliver on all the promises and righteous anger? Vote for them and find out I suppose.

You can say all that if they fall back to pre 2020 levels in the next GE.

They are not polling below those 2020 levels (+ or - 3%)and there is still a way to go and a GE campaign to come.

But but a few posts ago you said in typical Francie critical fashion that Varadkar brought Fine Gael back down to general election levels

Hasn't Mary lou done the same,whats her excuse ?

Or are polls only relevant when they don't show a downward SF trend ?

Post edited by pureza on

You will have to find a post where I denied MLMD did that.
    And just accept I am not here as her spokesperson.
    IMO I have outlined what I think SF are doing strategy wise.

I could be wrong.

What are they doing strategy wise?

As far as I can tell, they are not doing very much at all... Other than losing support, month on month.

My point is,its something to be critical of varadkar for according to you

But apparently not something to be critical of Mary Lou for (and she's not in power)

Cén Fáth ?

• Advertisement

Varadkar actually delivered that % in a GE. As yet MLMD has actually delivered growth in a GE.

Advertisement