Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IT'S MY FIELD...

• 01-06-2024 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Anyone else grow up with a nearby beloved field that's since been built on and feel like the Bull McCabe???!!? 😁😁😁

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Around here used to be all fields. Not anymore…🙁

Infested by humans now…😔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

More seaweed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ah, don't worry about it. They weren't my fields. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Can we get a mega thread for the OP so she doesn’t have to open a new one for each brain wave? Every single one is tv/ soap or music video related anyway.

• Advertisement

Me making a reference to a film/play or music in my thread openings does not mean that's how posters should take them....it's just a bit of fun for an opening which I'm sure you are already aware of jequen. Also I'm happy enough with my recent threads…they are not bad conversation starters…..perhaps you don't like that? ..but if you haven't got the audience…shrug??

Anyway....I actually lived in the built up area of 'my field' for a while in an apartment and I have to say I did feel at home there…I don't know...I use to joke saying the water is better here at the time…I can't stress how much of my childhood was spent in those fields...like a lot! 😁😁

I’ll be honest. I don’t even understand the point of your threads.

And at least spell my name correctly if you feel the need to mention me.

Well if you don't like or understand my threads jeqwan then don't contribute to them or even if you want to make a point of not understanding my threads or pretending to pick them up the wrong way or make alternative meanings to them.…then don't contribute to them.

I don't know about your threads because when you look at your profile they are 'hidin' so I can't be a judge on your threads as you are on mine ☺️

Post edited by ruth...less on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Indeed, we used to sledge down the field next to my parents, there were a few houses built on the far side of it, always felt strange having houses there.

I bought the remainder of the field in the end, so it genuinely is now mine, including behind the houses that were built, now I can walk around shouting at the damn Dub's to get out of my field, not that they are in my field, nor do they care, the most likely think I am just another insane culchie out doing culchie things.

• Advertisement

People can take my threads however they feel they want too and that's what's good about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

Back in the day, when Boards was a more lighthearted place, threads like this used to be great craic, especially on a weekend when people had a few jars. But now we’ve grown up, our fields are a distant memory, and we’ve grown crotchety, forgetting the good times, and how to skip over threads that we don’t want to read.

Our field was about a mile away from home and my parents would have killed me if they knew I was going there. It was left wild. Totally overgrown and full of fallen trees and odd objects that people had dumped there. We used to stop in the local shop on the way and have picnics in the long grass.

We went there one day and there were a bunch of wooden crosses on one side, and we were fairly sure that some people must had suddenly died there and this was their burial spot. We never found out though, because soon the field became a building site (maybe to cover up the dead bodies). It was a fun building site for a while though until they completely fenced it off and we had to go back to more conventional playgrounds like the middle of the road or that gap behind some electricity boxes that only kids could fit into.

Maybe we should just have 5 mega threads that suit you and your taste jequen in afterhours and be done with it.

TA, TH, Wherever Thread, Online Dating and 🤔 maybe some nostalgia thread...that should cover it. Would you be happy with that? How are we going to announce it though?....I know...

Cringe.

Well enjoy your field discussion, whatever it means.

The thread is about fields you grew up around that are now built up on.

The thread was not intended as a way for you to exercise your superiority complex and look down your nose at what people post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

brain fart you mean J

great field work OP, well done, well done as Joe Duffy would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The trouble with 'The Field' is that where most countries would take it as a cautionary tale, Ireland took it as an owners manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah there's been no end to farmer on farmer homicides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I seem to recall reading that the first and only homicide in the first year of the Irish state's existence was a sister-brother homicide over a farm land dispute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Fallout2022

The magic tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You don’t need a superiority complex to look down at these types of threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I had a field here, it's all houses now, and I've the money in the bank...

The green green...green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

🎼 IT'S MY FIELD... and I'll cry if I want to. 🎼

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

I lived just right beside Northside Shopping Center as it was being built in the very late 60s.

When the builders went home at 5 O'clock,, It was ours,, the best playground in the world, and for 3 years as a 7 year old kid, it was great fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I actually watched The Field last night. 🙂 The redhead tinker girl is fairly hot. A fine pair of hips on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Grew up in a housing estate in Dublin 9, and we had a few fields right beside us in the 70s and 80s. I remember having to do a nature project in primary school, and my mother suggesting a particular hedgerow in the fields, as she said that it would eventually be lost to housing (which is was a few years later - it's now Charlemont off Griffith Avenue.). I spent weeks documenting the plants, insects and birds that I found in it. I still have it somewhere.

They were a great place to play, but also a magnet for anti-social behavior. Most summers, someone would set them on fire. One year, myself and my friends discovered the start of a fire that was beginning to spread though the dry grass, and put it out with the bonnet of an abandoned car wreck.

Advertisement