Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I wouldn't write Derry off yet but let's be honest they may have missed their chance. They really slipped up against Kerry and Galway in back semis. You need to take your chances when you rise to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭shockframe

People often criticise Mickey Harte for being dour and defensive.

2024 has fairly turned that thoery!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Was that Meaths shrewd plan again today, to not try? Crafty operators this Meath team

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I wouldn’t have called that at all. Hard to known if it was Armagh being good and clicking. Or Derry making eejits of themselves. Keeper thinks he can wander anywhere.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭rrs

What happened on the Derry training camp in Portugal? a few fists thrown?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

Poor Tipp can’t afford to lose Munster football championships like that!!

Didn’t watch the Derry Armagh game…another for the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's interesting to note who has received red cards in their last two matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Harte has been in decline for a while really. I LOVED that Tyrone team of the 00s, absolute warriors and always did it when it mattered. But the latter part of his tenure wasn't as good, too negative and spiteful. I know they got to the final in 2018 (?) but if I'm not mistaken, it was Dublin's handiest win during that run.

I know Derry have been crippled with injuries, but I haven't noticed any discerable improvement in them.

The Mourinho of gaelic, both belong to yesteryear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Watched a bit of both matches today, whats the point of this. Derry lose 3 championship games and can they still qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Its the infantilisation of GAA. Can't possibly knock out teams after losing three championship matches. The poor craturs have been training for months sure.

Participation medals for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd be inclined to say Armagh played well.

They wouldn't be the most star studded team out there in comparison to Derry or Tyrone but they get the most out of what they have.

I'd say Mcgeeney has been there way too long but unlike Davy Fitz in Hurling his teams are there or thereabouts and have been involved in some right good matches the last 2-3 seasons.

Derry were comical though. You'd thing after the last 2 games they would mind the house a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Gaelic Football is horrible, both the way it's played and the current Championship structure. A total shambles.

Good analysis. I thought he done really well with Louth and should have stayed with them. Obviously couldn't turn down the opportunity to manage another genuine AI contender.

After Derry he should do another Louth type appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah your'e right, of course!

Cork was stuck in my head because I remembered T'O'Se's disgust at losing to Cork. He was visibly fuming in studio, he couldn't speak. It was an odd AI that year Cork's Aussie Rule fella knocked out Kerry. Tipp had an Aussie Rule fella and Cavan had an Aussie Rule fella. There will never be one like that again that is for sure- old school format and all.

But just shows what a different one well trained player can do and the amount of players Ireland have lost to Australia.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Paidin Mhaire

I wouldn't say the sizeable population originating outside Meath is significant. Young fellas growing up in meath playing gaa and well into it will want to play representative football at as high a level as they can, regardless of the origin of their parents. Look at the Lyons, Reynolds', M Kerrigan. In fact I'd say the opposite- blowins do ultimately want to integrate, what better way than through sport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I'm watching the Peile Na Gaeltachta semi -final on TG4, way better than than any Inter county game that was played this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Meath football is currently where Offaly hurling was for most of the last few decades.

Wont get anywhere until they face up to facts and stop thinking they are entitled to be a good team just because they won stuff in the 90's

Ha I can't remember who the Cavan player was but I wouldn't say Mark Keane being well trained was the difference. Weather was awful that day and Kerry didn't deserve to win. It was an out of sorts All Ireland alright though obviously. Tipp and Cavan coming out of the provinces…how many years until they coincide again!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Paidin Mhaire

That's an interesting take. What makes you think Meath GAA football think they are entitled to be a good team ?

In all seriousness though, why isn't Jack O'Connor a starter for Meath. Only for him coming on in the Tailteann Cup final, Down would of beat Meath. He came on, took the fight to them and showed leadership, kicked some brilliant long points that inspired confidence around him and really sent Meath on their way. He steadied the ship and it was his presence and influence that won Meath that game, no one else.

Against Dublin, the only player playing with any leadership or intent, running at lads and being generally industrious. On the 4 or 5 times I've seen him, he's literally the only Meath player playing like how an inter-county player should be playing. Yet he seems to start on the bench and come on. Is there a specific reason that your only worthwhile player is resigned to the bench for the start of most matches?

Offaly have only started big improvements after Lowry started pumping money in.

The same with Limerick and JP.

The same with Dublin and the GAA.

Unless Meath get an enormous injection of cash don't expect any change.

@The Golden Miller

Sorry I don't know why. I don't follow Meath football anymore. Just the hurling which means I'm a neutral attending the big Liam McCarthy matches.

It's psychological for them. They actually have the players and talent, thats the frustrating thing for them.

Offaly simply didn't produce the players for a long time, structures and those sort of problems. Meath still produce the players, but they seem to be dead inside when it comes to intensity, passion, belief and fight.

Meath could have David Clifford, and instead of him improving them, they'd suck the life out of him and there would be zero improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He's trying to use the offside trap with his high defensive line. A tactical maverick

He's the sort of manager a team like Meath need actually

For people actually looking for a gaugue as to the ability Meath actually have talent wise, compared to the lacklustre rubbish they serve up most matches, their second half performance against Dublin in 2021 is a very good indicator.

The first half was going the same way as most of their recent meetings, but Meath got an early goal in the second half. There was a spark and kicked life into a dead horse for 35 minutes. For the first and only time in a decade, Meath attacked and brought the fight to Dublin, the shackles came off and the fear went out the window. Everyone suddenly became a leader and they played with an intensity and confidence that they hadn't shown before or since. That was Meath playing at their natural level, in terms of the talent they have. And they had Dublin on the ropes. Would of taken them, only for the huge lead they had to overhaul.

They needed a few games in quick succession after that, to build momentum and belief. But by the following year, that was forgotton, and it was back to square one. But that half of football, against the champions, is a good indicator of what they are actually capable off, when they lose the fear and crippling self doubt thats destroying them

They've a massive fear of Louth these days too so

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Actually McManus was sponsoring Limerick long before they turned it around. It was finally putting in place a system to correctly use the money that was the key.

People put money into Offaly because they were convinced a competent plan existed and competent people were in charge.

Plenty of money in Meath if someone can put something together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be fair louth and westmeath are the only teams in leinster along with dublin that have the conditioning and fitness levels to play modern day intercounty for 70 minutes plus

i have no doubt meath have plenty of talent but they have lacked the fitness levels required to play at the highest level ,

Advertisement