Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

From the RTE report on the setting up of Jim Gavin's committee. Jarlath thinks that they might not change very much. Ex players like Michael Murphy would not try to foist nonsense stuff on to the present players. They have the power to reject any such carry on, and have used it before. And the referees and other officials would walk away in even bigger numbers if they are expected to carry clipboards noting who is inside or outside of zones of the pitch.

"Burns also backed the "exemplary" Gavin and described the committee as a whole as "among the greatest thinking minds on the game, who have achieved everything". But as for the potential for them to recommend wide-reaching changes to the way football is played, Burns said it was also possible to leave the game largely intact.

"The committee might decide to make no change at all because even the defensive game at times, with the goalkeeper going forward, can be very enjoyable to watch because you're waiting for a break and when it breaks the goalkeeper's up and you can see everybody scampering back," he said. "That can be enjoyable. We're after witnessing maybe two or three of the best games we've seen in a long time, particularly the Division 1 league final."

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

Football would benefit from a smaller sized pitch in my opinion. With less time on the ball, decisions will need to be made quicker and it will speed up the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭KingFling

If you receive a hand pass, you can't then hand pass the ball.

Would this simple change not encourage more kick passing and therefore more mistakes throughout the game?? Opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it wasn't always awful to watch, so if it went from exciting to dull and boring, it might go back to what it was at some stage, until it does, I will be watching something else.

It's the players opinions that matter. It was trialled back in 2019, but failed to get them on board.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0119/1024255-handpass-rule-axed-for-league-by-single-vote/

"The rule limited the number of consecutive handpasses to three proved contentious with players, supporters and managers, with a survey of GPA members revealing 90% opposition to the measure among players."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I agree with this

Hurling and Football are literally 2 completely different sports and for some reason the pitches are still the exact same size

The logistics behind any major change like that would be a nightmare but it makes complete sense

That would make the game even worse, the pitch needs to be bigger if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Beg to differ, I’m afraid… it’s common sense that will matter.

It’s the paying customer, the management of the GAA , that will matter.

As soon as attendances start dropping and the players find themselves playing before sparse crowds

the revenue drop will force proper action.

While certainly the players opinions are important, the clipboard merchants hiding in the background

are the ones that need to be tackled before they run the game into the ground.

It’s going there slowly but surely, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Antrim and Sligo played out a brilliant, free flowing and entertaining game today, but it was in the Tailteann Cup so you'll be lucky if you catch 20 seconds of it on the Sunday Game tonight.

The game in Derry was also a good one- why??

In my opinion it was because Armagh threw off the shackles and played attractive open football.

Derry could not respond, still stuck in the auld trundling up and down the field mode, could not

raise the tempo and adapt to the open football brand Armagh were playing.

• Advertisement

was it different to 30 men in 1 half of the field, counter attack football?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It was a high scoring back and forth match with a late comeback, what more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Most football fans do admit it and they do so by not attending anymore. Attendances speak for themselves.

The major issue is the lack of competitiveness. If the spectacle isn't fantastic but it's competitive you'll still keep people's interest but right now it's not entertaining or competitive.

As a spectacle it all went down hill after 2014. Remember in 2013 all the sly digs from Jim Gavin in interviews about how they believe the game should be played in a certain way. Donegal proceeded to hammer them and Dublin returned to the park the bus style of 2011 and 2010 post Meath hammering.

That was the end of football played traditional. The Ulster style proved superior and won.

I dont care if its back and forth and competitive, its boring and ugly to watch the way it is played these days.

The notebook and clipboard lads will disagree there.

Lookit, saw a few of them in the background up in Derry.. they want to hold on to their status and perks.

They needed the clipboards to keep track of the 35 scores. As well as counting the hand passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mooz

Heard on RTE Sport today that one game yesterday had 75 in attendance for Tailteann game, which game was that does anyone know?

Yeah they said attendances are down which im glad to hear, the GAA wont make the changes needed until it hits their pocket. I hear it from lads playing the game now, they know its crap and dont even enjoy playing the game anymore.

Goalkeepers coming out the field is proving to be really stupid, Louth were 4 points up today and their goalkeeper was out of goal, Monaghan got the ball and kicked into an empty net and back to a 1 point game.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭neiphin

from the Longford leader

Less than 100 spectators (the official attendance figure was 75) watched a Waterford outfit, officially ranked as the worst football team in the country coming into the Tier 2 Senior Championship, play really well to score a deserved win in what was a sad day for Longford GAA.”

• Advertisement

Yeah likewise I'm delighted to hear. Been boycotting games myself for year's glad to see many follow.

Is the football side of the GAA at an all time low?

Id say so.

Im going to go to a hurling semi this year instead of my usual football semi final. And I mightn't even bother watching the all Ireland football final on tv which I usually never miss.

Go to both hurling semis!

The Leinster hurling final is good too some year's. I seen Galway beat Wexford and Wexford beat Kilkenny recently. Also seen Dublin beat Galway back in 2013.

Wexford came very close to making it a Dublin V Wexford LHF this year which would have been unreal and I'd have attended.

This weekend with 16 games was a good measure of the standard of play. In the AI groups 8 games produced 235 scores, average per game just over 29. And that included 22 goals. The Tailteann was slightly higher with 242 scores from 8 games, just over 30 on average. And coincidentally also 22 goals.

The hurlers are also posting some mighty scores, which is what makes for great entertainment like in the football. I don't follow it so much, but I see they are gradually adopting the possession game. Including short puck outs from the keeper on some occasions.

The old guard are reacting badly to the adoption of the possession game in hurling, but they are ignoring logic. Keep the ball and the other team cannot score.

https://www.nenaghguardian.ie/2024/03/16/in-all-fairness-hurling-trending-in-the-wrong-path/

"Hurling is now being poisoned by the possession disease that has made Gaelic Football a hard watch in recent years, bar when the few elite teams face off against each other. The thinkers have gotten their hands on the game and in an effort to find a new element to the game of hurling, they have made it harder to watch."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

listen , after watching derry get destroyed by donegal by one stupid tactic and one stupid tactic alone and go and do the exact same thing all over again just goes to show what a shower of idiots are watching gaelic football if they think this is acceptable , think james mccartans point against derry in 1994 against the rubbish tactics today ,

football is fucked if people see today as a guideline

There were three games in Croke Park….all finals if I recollect correctly.

The attendance looked around 5 or 6 hundred most probably families of the players I would suggest.

Coming up with rubbish about scores being the barometer of good entertainment for me says it all.

Let’s hope Jim and his committee members see the light that is so obvious and act sensibly to save our game from bland demise at the hands of the stats gurus.

The old format lasted another 7 years after 1994. Which was the year the reigning AI champions got just one game, and then they were gone. Eventually a system was devised to give teams more games. And a version of that is what we have now. But that is still not enough to keep some people happy. They cannot get their heads around some teams losing three games and still being in. More Championship games with fewer spectators at some, but overall probably just as many watching. Unless someone has numbers to disprove that. The League in which the players obviously deploy the same tactics, is very popular.

On the playing field coaches and players have devised new ways of playing the game. After being hidebound for 100 years by Catch and Kick. Already 20 years ago it was being derided as Puke Football. But it has evolved to a real contest of possession attack based football versus defence, requiring super fitness. Anyone can catch a ball and hoof it up the field, but to keep possession and engineer scores against committed defences takes more skill than that.

Have you not been watching the games lately, lots of teams pack the defense but forwards can easily kick over the blanket and score so whats the point in packing the defense?

Did ye see shane walshes goal v westmeath? it was like the kind of counter attack try teams score in Rugby, he had half the field to run with the ball and there wasnt 1 player near him, that is how the game has changed, it isnt football anymore.

Lookit PeeJay, these lads are only interested in trying to wind people up, so don’t bite the bait.

Todays game is more like field handball than what can be termed as ‘football’ in most cases.

Spectators are slowly getting tired of the fare on offer and are dwindling in interest as the game they

are watching evolves.

Saw Starry Bhoy in the dugout in Derry- a former basketball player.

‘Nuff said😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

I think the lack of a mechanism to restart the shot clock is a massive roadblock to implementation in gaelic football. Time is added back to the shot clock when it hits the ring in basketball - how would you account for this in gaelic football?

If you allow, say, 60 seconds for a score once the ball passes halfway, is the idea that if 60 seconds passes and the ball isn't kick over the bar or into the goal that it's a free out? I would imagine you would end up with a game almost 100% defined by the shot clock: 20+ frees awarded each game for teams failing to score quickly enough upon passing the halfway line, teams intentionally holding the ball up just behind half way to avoid triggering the shot clock, teams kicking garryowens into the corners with 1 second left on the clock to not give away dangerous counterattacks etc.

Advertisement