Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭JamBur

Thanks for that. Just worries and doubts Im having. Its my first EV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

nothing to worry about, go for it, brill car, just make sure it has v3.2 software.. like said above it has niggles.. my fav is not being able to permanently turn off lane assist .. then again it's only 4 taps on the screen! 😁

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've cupra born which is more or less the same car and my only complaint is there's too much reliance on the screen for controls, was a novelty when they came out but pain in the hoop after a while you'd just prefer a single tactile button. Voice controls for Google maps, phone calls and Spotify etc is decent though

I presume the ID3 drives similar to the born and they are lively, I've driven id4 and id5 and they feel much heavier and more cumbersome, although maybe more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why would you turn that off? An excellent safety feature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

my PCP had no mention of limited distance.

I don’t think it’s a things on the ID range

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Comer1

Yes very much so. What's your problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I got my 1st on PCP and there would have been an additional charge for going over an agreed mileage if handing it back after 3 years.

I think it was 6c per kilometre over the agreed amount on the contract.

You're very lucky to like that feature, specially if it can't be switched off on future cars. On the roads I mostly drive on, I hate it. I'm driving along and it feels like someone is trying to pull the wheel from my hands, or that I've gotten a skid.

• Advertisement

You must not be driving in the proper position.

I don't know what that means, but maybe it's a bit like sex, there's no one proper position😜😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Out of curiosity, what kind of roads do you drive on?

I've found the lane assist to be no issue on well marked roads. Generally it might kick in for a second where the lane markings aren't exactly parallel and the car gets a bit worried.

Splits and merges can cause this, but the car only nudges at most, doesn't jerk the car to the side

Unmarked roads can cause it to start nudging sometimes but in general I find it's because I was a bit closer to the edge than the car prefers. Going a bit slower also seems to help, the lane correction is probably more severe when driving faster

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I didn't even realise the car had lane assist until people mentioned it in this post.

We have an Ioniq 5 and the lane assist is much more aggressive, I nearly prefer the ID3 for the twisty country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I’ve never felt the need to disable lane assist, even on unmarked roads. It just an occasional nudge in the right direction and not nearly as intrusive as other cars with the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

me neither. Genuinely miss the feature when I take out our older car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I live in rural Donegal, have never in nearly 3 years felt the need to disable the lane assist.

Funnily enough I sometimes feel like the car nudges in the wrong direction

It must not like me and is trying to kill me 😂

I do understand people's hesitation at the idea of the car having agency in decision making as well as some survival instincts. A few times the lane keeping kicked in while my wife was in the passenger seat and she was immediately like "wtf was that!?"

After I explained it she proceeded to ask why I was out of the lane, which was followed by some embarrassing silence 😅

Anyone want to take a guess as to the pricing of the 52kWh Pure when (or if) it arrives here?

The cheapest one I could configure in Germany was around €33k, it'd be nice if they could match that here

However that was a pretty base spec, didn't even have ACC

they really stripped out the spec. I paid 32k for the basic city version. Which Included heated seats , wireless CarPlay and android auto, and steering wheel. Wireless charging , front and rear USB, ACC , dual zone climate , 125kw charge and a lot more which now are optional extras.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not surprised they cut the spec. There's a decent argument that a 52kWh doesn't need a lot of the creature comforts that you'd want on a long journey

Or at least not as standard

However the old card trick of cutting the price by €1k but ripping €5k of spec out certainly never get old

Still, it's not exactly the worst deal. I priced one in Germany with some basic add-ons (matrix headlights, heat pump, ACC and heated seats) and I think it was just under €35k

we do over 30k a year in it. Heating steering wheel & seats, front and rear USB, wireless phone charger are items we wouldn’t live without.
    a heated steering wheel and seat is far more efficient than any heat pump.

The 52kwh is well able for long journeys, just need to have a destination charger and possible a small charge em route. Remember VW quite useable battery , many use total battery size

I've never had it nudge in the wrong direction. And it only ever nudges when in the wrong position. The car also doesn't have anything near agency, it can be overruled easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I could easily live without a wireless phone charger, most are better at heating up your phone rather than charging it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

First long trip in my new (to me) 2021 58kWh ID.3 doing Dublin to Achill via Galway and return. Left Dublin about 83% and drove straight to the Brite chargers in Galway retail park arriving with 9%. Nobody there but the ESB across the way was busy. Easy to use and no issues. The car pulled 109kW peak.

I got a fairly high charge there and that was enough to land into Achill about 50% which was my plan. Return leg stopped in Westport for lunch and a short charge on EasyGo (50kW only) and then onto Ionity Athlone. I arrived into Ionity with 12% and pulled 115kW which was the highest I'd seen yet. What's the max on the car?

Overall very happy with how the car went. Speeds were mostly 110km/h GPS on motorway on the way down and then whatever was posted on lesser roads. On the way back I did posted and 120km/h GPS on motorways.

My only slight niggle is that the car could be a bit better on corners but I have a feeling that may be the tyres. Dealer put some ditchfinders on the front and originals are on the rear.

I agree the heated seats and steering wheel are essential, as well as the phone connection to the infotainment

The rest isn't enough to make me spend extra on

I've noticed the configurator can be a bit weird sometimes, it'll list heated seats as standard and an extra in some packs. We'll have to wait to see what the Irish spec looks like

I think the ID.4 City was a very good deal for the price, so good that VW almost immediately realised their mistake and stopped selling them 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Has anyone noticed something funny with the brakes, it happens me very infrequently that I've not bothered to post about it a few times now.

When I'm coming to a stop from a slow speed like for example in slow moving traffic or approaching a stop sign while in D mode, I've noticed that sometimes the pressure needed to stop the car is not linear, like if I apply 20% pressure I'd expect to stop eventually but not abruptly, where as I've noticed the car kinda feels like it hasn't engaged the brake at all in some cases and then I need to hit them hard causing me stop much more aggressively.

Could all be in my head, but thought I'd ask!

After a quick google, it looks like a known behaviour of switching from regen braking to traditional braking, poor design imo and quite dangerous

https://www.speakev.com/threads/id3-brakes-revisited.166215/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

VW say they quote the usable but I don't think anyone with a 58kWh of 77kWh version have that capacity available to them when tested.

So will the 52 be 48kWh? If it was actually 52kWh available it would be very close in range in reality to the next size up.

Post edited by Mr Q on

Maybe check if eco assist is enabled? That can override the brakes to try and recover energy, but I think it can only apply more braking force rather than less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

Any car I have driven with blended brakes has similar characteristics. Feel can vary depending upon temperature, battery fill level etc. And is noticeable when at slow speeds when regen disengages.

Advertisement