Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

The quality is worse and from those third world countries corruption is rife where rich families can pay for qualifications. And then you factor in the wrong diagnosis, wrong prescription or botched surgery. We don't have a great health system here. If our own doctors who are much better trained and are leaving then we should be looking at better salaries and sorting out the housing crisis. https://archive.ph/cWg14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Hmm maybe thats whats happening in the countries where our new bredren are coming from. Not being rude and not all either but of lazy stock? Considering youve made the same reference. I see it as only being fair. Difference is we look after ours. So you think the onus is on irish people to support extra said.

People btw with medical degrees come here to live in tents? Do you see the logic of your arguement here? Doctor by day , tent by night is it? A 5th you say.

Cheaper labour always wins out. Its proably capitalism 101

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Not exactly doing much to keep it on track yourself are you? Think you’ll find the majority of foreign doctors aren’t exactly stowing away in containers from Cherbourg and sleeping in a tent by the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yep .

Have said so back the thread last week in answer to ...hmmm ..can't remember now who , sorry .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I’ve enough problems of my own.

Can’t understand why all these 1000s of males problems suddenly become my responsibility.

“Asylum seekers ” has to be the most loosely used term at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Similar to Aodhan O riordain so who in 2014 gave speech saying we don't have the capacity to take unlimited asylum seekers and now has flipped. They are tds and that's what they do. It is ok to alter your views though.

Refresh my memory, what part of McNamara’s platform was it that you were taken in by again?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

Only if the Garda cannot freely turn them off and on, arbitrary control will just discredit them further

Garda are no different to anyone else but are more likely to be involved with perverting the course of justice by virtue of their position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

On this thread we’ve been told that the government don’t want to be seen to pander to the ‘far right’ (Simon Harris not sacking Helen McEntee) but that they’re also following ‘demands’ about Ukrainian people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Sure it's here. It's the part where he pretends his views on immigration haven't changed dramatically.

Clear example of a denial by omission, aka sweeping under the carpet.

https://clarechampion.ie/leahy-and-mcnamara-dispute-migration-record/

This is quite a dramatic flip though, and in such a short space of time.

Here he is in June 2020 complaining about conditions in a direct provision center where it is alleged there were water leaks and rodent droppings.

In it he talks about his admiration and respect for Islamic cultures.

He likens IPA's struggles with the struggle for Irish independence.

He does talk about single males in small rural communities… but he complains the government are putting them there to make it harder for them to start families and avoid deportation.

Just a couple of comments on this but he gets called out for an open-borders approach and welcoming IPAs during a migrant crisis.

Some turn around for a guy that now gives personal interviews to Gript.ie, complains about undocumented and unvetted males, and 'grills' McAntee on Ireland's pretend failures under Dublin agreement.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=257829938788122

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can't help it if you don't understand what's been posted. It's there in black and white. While no-one is obliged to respond to anyone else on this forum, I have responded to your "allegation" twice now and the link to the article is and always was there for all to see. I stand by these and in fact all my posts, but as I've said in the past, people are free to make their own minds up and indeed should always do so.

However, I won't be responding to you any further so don't feel any obligation to respond to it or this post. Your response above and to BAAB a few posts under it (which completely disregards her reasonable points and the time and effort she made to reply to you at all) shows a level of bad faith and immaturity that means no reasonable discussion can be had.

The fact that you resort to claims of xenophobia, playing to the crowd (which insults every other poster on this thread as not being able to make up their own minds), and even pot-shots at someone's willingness and ability to respond in detail to explain their reasoning says more about you than those you are replying to.

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

When opponents have to dig up dirt from years ago and try to use against a current candidate. You know that candidate is making serious waves and their fellow candidates are worried about their seats.

Two of the examples I've given are from 2020 and 2021, hardly ancient history.

I think it's worth noting again that he pretends his views haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

This has being going on for years. The government simply haven't a clue the type of people they are intentionally flooding the country with. The tip of the iceberg.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Who cares?

When the facts change, you should be able to change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Reminds me of something ivan Yates said on his podcast recently, can't remember exactly but he was basically saying as a politician he had a particular set of values but if people didn't like them he had a completely different set of values.

Was it pat rabbitte who said "that's what you tend to do during an election?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What? This doesn't make any sense whatsoever, you're clearly trying to wind people up.

• Advertisement

No. Asylum seekers are housed in DP centres or left to sleep on the streets. They are not affecting the housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 18 shaymouse

but they don't stay as asylum seekers, they usually are given permission to stay, and end up on the housing list.

it's supply and demand, how many houses do we need to build just to accommodate former ASers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don’t agree that 2020 is a short space of time in this context. We’ve seen how certain events can change the world overnight. Therefore McNamara is free to change his mind. And I’m not sure that his views in 2020 are some kind of gotcha either. Does it not prove that he’s not a racist bigot but just thinks we need to sort out the shitshow that’s happening right now?

And if they are given permission to stay, they are no longer asylum seekers!

Everyone in the country puts a strain on housing, former asylum seekers are a relatively minimal number of immigrants into the country. There are groups that out a whole lot more pressure on. Singling out one small group for the housing crisis is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Are there not something like 5 or 6 thousand people still living in DP that have been granted permission to stay in ireland but have nowhere to go so are still in DP accommodation?

Pretty sure I heard that figure recently, if all those people had to leave that accomodations tomorrow surely they'd have to go on the housing list?

I'm quite amazed you're ok with this from 2020/2021 when you claim O'Gorman's tweets in 2019 bought tens of thousands of people here.

An Irish TD putting out videos of himself in the Dail defending IPAs rights to better accommodation and their human rights requirements to start families and avoid deportation!

I doubt with his history with Refugee NGO's he would have been unaware of the vetting processes back then when he wanted people to join swimming groups with the 'unvetted males', or Irelands history with higher IPA arrivals, or the numbers who had arrived Europe but who had largely stopped coming to Ireland at that point.

Here's the video again from his Youtube channel in case anyone couldn't see it on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

Certainly isn't. There's plenty of proof on this thread.

Remains consistent with the idea that his present policies are in response to a systemic abuse of the asylum system. Obviously recognises it isn’t in his interest it engage in purity test with Leahy. I reckon he’s right too. In addition to adopting policies of deterrence, another thing that could be learned from other Member States such as Denmark is that there is a way to discuss and debate migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭sekiro

It seems like the argument is over how those people would be classified.

So, while it's true that those 6,000 people would need homes, they would no longer be classified as "Asylum Seekers" and so Asylum Seekers are not putting a strain on housing.

That's the tactic. We quibble over definitions to distract from the fact that we don't have enough homes for the people already here all while the government plans to bring in even more people but not to build accommodation for them.

Not a great plan.

Imagine filling up a litre jug of water by 100ml every hour then after 10 hours you stop because the jug will overflow. "Why do you want to stop now!? You've added 100ml to the jug every hour for the last 9 hours with no complaints, why is it an issue now!?"

So you are forced to keep pouring at a faster and faster rate and the jug is overflowing and there's water getting everywhere. Should you stop? Of course not! Just start adding milk to the jug instead! Won't that just make an even bigger mess? Don't be silly! You were hardly complaining about the water 9 hours ago so why are you suddenly bothered about milk now!? It's not milk that's been spilling all over the floor!

Some time later your daughter comes in and slips on the spilled milk and water all over the floor you think she might be injured but why don't you shut up because the neighbours aunt slipped on some ice last winter and you didn't care then so why do you care about people slipping now? Also she slipped in milky-water so I don't see how thats related to the reckless pouring of milk and the reckless pouring of water anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Proof of what? You said

Because people with anti asylum seeker sentiment have demended the Government target Ukrainians.

Evidence? Where is the evidence of anything on this thread being a factor in government decision makiing?

In keeping with the Big Fact Hunt tone of the thread, there are no Ukrainian Asylum Seekers in Ireland so even if people had anti asylum seeker sentiment, what's that got to do with Ukrainians?

Advertisement