Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Thank you. That's gonna make getting the bus to work a chore now unfortunately.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Looks like the trial of no right turn into/out of Westwood is permanent now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Had to be done in fairness.

Ideally the club would be closed or moved to a more fitting location that's not on a main artery into the city.

You have to go around Bram Stoker park now right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Trying to turn right out of westwood, yes, going around Bram Stoker park, or up the Howth road and down Hollybrook Road/St. Lawrence Road would be the official way, but I'd imagine that most will do a u turn at the junction. To get into Westwood wood coming from the city now, you'll go past westwood, under the bridge, and do a u-turn at the the little slip for the dart station.

Still not ideal, as you point out, it's just not a great spot for something that causes so much demand/traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Disco24

Except that the slip into dart station is about to become Bus Only. Now marked out for painting. Dart Station, 15 bus routes, segregated cycle lane and ppl will still drive, some need to, most don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kincora2017

if they’re doing that there’ll still be the slip for access to the pitches surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I walked by a taxi man explaining to a neighbour this morning how the cycle lane in Fairview is costing €70m, it's impossible to drive through now thanks to the bloody cyclists, to which the neighbour commented that loads of businesses have closed down.

I was sorely tempted to turn around and correct all of their fake news...but I didn't fancy getting heartburn at 8.30am.

The level of ignorance and misinformation is crazy once anything cycle related is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ideally the club would be closed or moved to a more fitting location that's not on a main artery into the city.

Ah now, that is a wind up, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Disco24

Yep at the next turn off 10 meters away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's location isn't really suitable to be fair. It's been a nuisance for years and years.

I drove out of town on the Motorocyle yesterday, and I used that road.
    The temporary line marking/painting is a disgrace, I argue dangerous. There needs to be cones in the centre of the road and there is none.

There are about 3 or 4 places where the road/lane abruptly ends. I consider myself a very competent MC rider and Driver and I was getting confused as to where on the road I was supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Any progress of late? The bridge in North Strand and all along Marino mart were still completely dug up with old and new pipes exposed a couple of weeks ago. I'll be home in 2 weeks after nearly 5 weeks away and doubt there'll be much improvement.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Still big dug up holes with exposed pipes around Marino.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The area around Westwood is close to being finished, the central divide is essentially done, with just the island in the middle to do now, which has already been marked out. The far side still has a fairly big hole where the traffic lights will be going in, but around the corner has been refinished already.

Further down towards Marino, the section under the pedestrian bridge is done as well, they were removing/moving the traffic barriers the last time I looked. Not sure how long ago that was by now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You mean she said the inbound cycle track would be finished, and it was?

The project is clearly beyond its original finishing date now. But it was never due to be finished last year. The amount of misinformation around this is unreal, regardless if it's because of people spreading it on purpose or being unable to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Another issue that has coming up is the exams taking place in both Joey's and Marino College. All works outside both had to be suspended while the summer exams and JC & LC exams are taking place. This is adding more time to that area, which has already been badly delayed.

Also, they are still working on underground works. As of today a new pipe (think water mains) and sub terrain around the Grafton barber along Fairview Strand.

The paving between Fairview Ave. and Gaffneys is taking shape.

I suppose you could say the inbound section was complete if you didn't include all the junctions that weren't completed and the section under the railway bridge. In fact, it's still not completed as they've dug up a section to reinstall bus stops after trying to pull a fast one.

The original timeline for this project was 2 years and it started in late November 2021, so it's way over schedule. The June 2024 finish date was communicated very late in the project and now that's also been pushed to September, which seems ambitious.

This is really interesting compared to what's often said.

Go on out of that.

Nobody tried to pull a fast one. Councillors, etc, were so focused on the impact on cars that they didn't bother looking at anything else.

The sod turning was on March 28th, 2022. There were only minor exploratory and enabling works in 2021.

"The project is scheduled for completion in Q1 2024” — Dublin City Council press release issued on March 28th 2022, when the project started. The June date was given to the community forum, which includes at least one councillor who was dead set against the project… it's funny how it was left to a cycling website to report that delay and the more recent one… it's nearly like some people want confusion and frustration.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I bet those people just drive through the area, but don't actually live in the area or use any of the business there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How is it not suitable? It has been there for over 20 years at this stage, it is used a lot and is clearly a viable business.

I don't think the issue is Westwood here, it is perfectly suited where it is and I can remember what was there before that…nothing.

You saying it is a nuisance doesn't make it so.

• Advertisement

Well, they pulled the bus stop "temporarily", put parking spots there, and are now putting the bus stop back in. It was discussed to death in this very thread at the time.

The project started in late 2021, they can dress it however they want but that when the disruption started with lane closures and all that good stuff. DCC claiming it started in March 2022 is patently not true, similar to them saying the inbound section was complete. Although knowing DCC the word complete probably means something completely different to them compared to what the general understanding of what the term means.

Q1 2024 is long gone, Q2 2024 has passed, we are into Q3 now and still a fair bit left to do. A 2 year project overrunning by a minimum of 25% isn't great, especially when you consider the level of distribution it is causing to the local community (not businesses, the actual people who live in the area).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Q2 doesn’t finish for another month! You’re jumping a bit ahead of yourself.

The traffic changes didn’t happen until the end of March 2022.

It is frustrating as any major works are - remember the hooha over the LUAS works on Harcourt Street?

No one likes them while they are ongoing but once they’re finished then people quickly forget them.

If you look at Amiens Street between the Five Lamps and Connolly, which is nearing completion, it’s much nicer than what was there before.

If it was never due to be finished last year, why did the council publish that it would be? One of the chief DCC engineers told me end of 2023. Next time I spoke to him he said end of June 2024, and that had always been the plan from day one. Then it was announced as September. And engineers for Clonmel have told me christmas 2024 they are expecting to finish.

Talbot Street just announced for big funding to improve the street too.

Although I think it'll be hard to improve it. It's a bit of rough part to travel through at the moment.

You're right about that, it will be a far nicer place to cycle and walk once the works are completed. I'm not going to lie though, it has been very frustrating looking at a build site in the area for over 2 years but particularly this past while where it feels like there are stop/goes everywhere, all the time now. Anyway, it'll be done sometime this year and hopefully the new route for the ESB underground cables being proposed doesn't start this nonsense all over again around Fairview and Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

As a regular commuter on this route I will be glad when it is finally finished. It will be a huge improvement though for everybody once it's complete.

Let's not also forget that the reason this project has taken so long is because it's a huge amalgamation of a number of infrastructure projects and not just the provision of a cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just so we're clear on when construction actually started, here's February/March 2022:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Even by July 2022, large stretches of the route are yet to be touched. Basically only Connolly to Five Lamps and along the park at Fairview Strand

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Looking back at the start of the thread it would seem the first restrictions started at the start of April 2022 and the inbound traffic diversion started on August 8 2022. It has been a lot slower because the notification put out at that time said the restriction would be in place for about a year and clearly we're closer to two years now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Clearly evident in these photos is the mayhem which led to the closure of a thriving jewellery retailer in the following days

Advertisement