Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving of Other Cars - Clauses

Options
  • 03-06-2024 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭

Hi all, can anyone explain Section X to me in the below? I'm renewing my insurance here and took a moment to re-read the clauses on the "Driving of Other Cars" section. Section X confuses me, am I, or am I not covered to drive my wife's car (owned and insured separately by her) under my own policy's 'driving of other cars' rule?

If Your cover is Comprehensive We will cover You under the terms of Section 1 (Third Party Only) and Section 3 (Accidental Damage) of this Policy, provided Section 2 is operative on Your Policy Schedule, while You are driving any private motor car with the owner’s permission, providing: 
    (i) the car is not owned by You, Your employer or Your business partner; 
    (ii) it is not hired to You, Your employer or Your business partner under a hire purchase agreement or a leasing agreement; 
    (iii) it is not owned by or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade Business of which You are a member, director or employee; 
    (iv)  it is not a car-van with only 2 seats or less, nor a motorcycle nor commercial vehicle of any kind; 
    (v) there is no other policy in force, whether You are the policyholder of that policy or not, that covers Your driving of the car You are driving under this Section; 
    (vi) The current Schedule of Insurance shows that your cover is comprehensive; 
    (vii) The current Certificate of Motor Insurance contains the ‘driving other cars’ cover; 
    (viii) The engine of the car is less than 2500 cubic centimetres engine capacity or does not exceed 75kWh if battery powered electric car; 
    (ix) The current value of the vehicle is no greater than €50,000;           
    (x) The car is insured under a current policy of insurance in the name of another person who is not Your spouse/partner; 
    (xi) You have the owner’s permission to drive the other car; 
    (xii) The car is registered, taxed and normally situated in the Republic of Ireland and is compliant with Road Traffic legislation and is the subject of a valid NCT certificate where so required by law; 
    (xiii) The car is not modified beyond the manufacturer’s standard specification; 
    (xiv) You still own and insure Your car under this policy and Your car has not been damaged beyond economic repair.

Comments

Advertisement