Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting method

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

In any count centre, you'll end up with hundreds of spoiled votes, not intentionally, but marked X,X,X,X or 1,1,1,1 etc.

I wonder if some of this might be due to people from different voting cultures (e.g. Britain's FPTP or a Continental list system) not understanding how STV works. When I had the opportunity to vote in England, it felt weird (and inherently wrong!) to do nothing but mark a single "X" against one name; and even more weird when I first encountered a French list, accompanied by the instruction to make no marks on it at all!

These days, I could well imagine that voters - including Irish natives - who don't really pay much attention to finer details of the electoral process might be so saturated with coverage of the Red/Blue binary choice in the UK and US that they assume things must be the same in every English-speaking country and go all-out for one camp or another. It'd be interesting to see if the figures in regard to votes spoilt ni this way change over the coming years.

Post edited by CelticRambler on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd guess that some voters think you have 3, 4, or 5 votes as well, depending on the number of seats which might explain the multiple X's or 1's. Ironically, if you're completely tuned into the US or UK, you might put only a single X, which should be accepted here as it is a clear first preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

How do you vote on the French ballot if you are instructed not to mark it?

It depends on the election, but in essence you have a collection of pre-printed lists of candidates (all candiates from the same party on one list); you pick one, put it in an unmarked envelope, and put that in the ballot box (or another envelope if voting remotely). Job done, vote cast for the whole lot of them and none of the others. What had me puzzled that first time is that there was only one list (it was for the school "governers"/parents' council) and I couldn't understand how I was casting a vote if all I was doing was handing back the list of names that had been given to me.

For the municipal elections, it is permitted to strike a candidate from the list, or to add a name of your choice - not that it makes any difference at all when there's still only one list. In our last municipal election, there were eleven candidates on one list fighting for eleven seats. They were all elected; quelle surprise … !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

The French presidential election always sounds like they should just use STV to avoid everyone having to trudge back a second time for the runoff between the top two candidates. I suppose they make a big deal of the time between the two votes spent grappling with one's conscience as to which of the two is less bad than the other … Much better to get all that over with in one day imo …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would never have considered that this happens until reading about it here.

I would have thought maybe 1 in a 1,000 votes, but you suggest it's reasonably common.

No wonder there are spolit votes.

I wonder is it a lack of education among people in older cohorts, by that I mean people born maybe 1940-1960?

In the good ol' days, the first round was a way for the peasants to express their dissatisfaction with the current pseudo-monarch and cast a protest vote for their favourite nutjob, safe in the knowlege that the second round would be the traditional Left vs. Right contest. That no longer holds true, and the between-the-rounds period has turned into a desperate scramble between the final two candidates (nowadays getting through to that second round on the basis of about 24% of the vote) to form some sort of coalition with the also-rans. Somewhat ironically, as soon as the election is over, 75% of the electorate will claim that they didn't vote for whoever one - they always refer back to how they cast their vote in the first round. So yes, STV would be a sensible, logical change for these modern, turbulent times … but we don't really do change in France. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, its definitely down to Irish people who don't understand.

The number of British citizens who vote in Dáil elections (as they are entitled to do) is tiny, and EU citizens can only vote in local and European polls anyway.

The lack of education of the system when kids are in secondary school, and by the Electoral bodies in the media in advance of elections, is chronic.

There should be ads on radio and TV regularly in the current period, reminding people how to mark their ballots correctly and where to find simple guides online to inform them further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wonder does a lot of it come from every candidate asking for a no.1?

Some might think that 1111 is how it works because that's what they were asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Something to note is that 1s for no hopers, and late preferences for the eliminated can have financial implications for the state.

If a party gets over 2% of nationwide FPV in a general, they get funding til the next. Renua got this with no TDs in 2016 and basically uses it to pay for trolling twitter.

If a candidate has a quarter of a quota at elimination in general, euro or presidential (not local) elections they can get a partial refund of election expenses. Surpluses too small to elect someone can still be transferred if they can save someone's expenses. This is a case where a very low preference could give someone money - depending who it is you gave that preference to, this is something you may or may not want that to happen!

Ok so that answered my first question, ie how do they choose which ballots are the ones that transfer when they are transferring a fraction of them.

They randomise the ballots at the very beginning (after the boxes have been opened and the total numbers are verified). I have witnessed this myself in count centres with them throwing the ballots into a big wooden chest and mixing it up.

Then later on:

It does not however answer my second question. How do they break ties when the percentages to transfer don't result in a whole number?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not everyone can keep track on a 26-candidate ballot.

I don't understand what that means either.

You advocate giving a preference right down the ballot. Why? Why stop?

Honestly, I've no idea how the minutiae works. I've only ever worked as a boggo handcounter and the instructions are handed down from the returning officer at the top table. He or she works their process from a computer programme which creates the next step as the count progresses.

There certainly is a random element to the distribution, and it can be one of the main reasons for full or partial recounts if a candidate feels they were not proportionately accounted for.

Its funny, its quite a difficult thing to find a detailed description of online.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You stop when the only remaining candidates are people between whom you are unable to form a meaningful preference. If you know literally nothing about the remaining candidates on the ballot or about their parties, or if you know something but it doesn't enable you to say that you like any one of them more or less than any other, then you don't have a preference. And there's no merit in writing down random numbers.

A not uncommon situation is:

• There's a slew of candidates at the top of the list between whom you have meaningful preferences.
    • There's one or two candidates at the bottom of the list about whom you think "I'd rather have anyone but them. I'd rather elect a dog turd than them".
    • In between, there's a bunch of candidates that you know little about, and don't really like any one of them more or less than any other of them.

In that situation it's rational to order the first bunch of candidates according to your actual preference, and then distribute further preferences among the third bunch of candidates, more or less at random. You may know nothing about them, but you have already decided that you'd rather have anyone that Mr. Hitler, and they're "anyone". You prefer all of them to Mr Hitler and that's a preference, so express it. It might help to keep Mr. Hitler out, which is the outcome you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭geographica

Thanks for all the replies, and the debate.

Is there one factual specific reply that answers my question though?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Correct, your vote dies at #2.

However, you rank the eight others equally. Other voters then have a greater say in ballot, when you have foregone that option. You should mark paper as far as possible to ensure your voice is heard

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And FTPT promotes internal party divisions and all of these secret Party within a party's shenanigans with the likes of the ERG in the Tories having secret memberships, so voters don't even know who their candidate is really going to be representing after the election

• Advertisement

Voting all the way down makes sense if you like 3 candidates, don't care about most of the others, but really hate one or 2 candidates, so you're randomly selecting middle preferences but very deliberately giving the candidates you hate the lowest preferences

Yes. If you only mark preferences for two candidates then it is impossible for your vote to count for any of the other candidates. If you only wish to support these two and don't care what happens with the rest then only marking two preferences is a fine strategy for you.

Who 'only cares' about 2 candidates? You mightn't know all the candidates but surely there are some people or parties that you know for a fact that you don't agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭geographica

The poster was very clear about their intentions. They presumably read the many detailed responses in this thread explaining all the nuances of the voting system and came back to ask their original question again. That's the question I am answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

This all really depends on how many seats need to be filled. Voting for two candidates when there are three or more seats means people will definitely be elected without you having any say in it at all. As somebody said above, it's the difference between somebody you strongly dislike and a rabid fascist lunatic. I would always take the opportunity to vote for the person I strongly dislike if it means keeping the lunatic out of a seat.

The important thing to bear in mind throughout is that every vote FOR one candidate is a vote AGAINST the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

In our system does a candidate have to get a certain number of first preferences to reach a quota to stay in the race and benefit from transfers of other eliminated candidates? Basically wondering if I should give my first preference to someone who I know wont be elected and then transfer to more likely to be elected candidates or if my votes dies if my first preference gets eliminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to have enough votes to not get eliminated immediately. This isn't a fixed thing. Even not being last may not keep you in past one count.

When eliminated all votes are transferred, unless there is simply no point (everyone else is elected, or they delay as they have bigger bundles to transfer first)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Technically, no. It's possible to construct a scenario where a candidate gets no FPVs and still gets elected. Consider:

• Nine candidates, four seats, and 50,000 valid votes, which gives a quota of 10,001
    • On the first count, Candidate A gets zero FPVs
    • Candidate B is runaway favourite, and gets 20,000+ votes, no other candidate gets more than 5,000
    • B is elected on the first count. Second count begins with the distribution of B's excess votes (more than 10,000)
    • A is the overwhelmingly most common second preference of B's votes, and immediately becomes the new count leader

Obviously that's an extreme example, but it's theoretically possible. For a more realistic example, see Dublin Central in 2007: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Central_(D%C3%A1il_constituency)#2007_general_election. Cyprian Brady received only 939 FPVs (against a quota of 6,928), but still got elected thanks to a large number of transfers from one Bertie Ahern.

There are other reasons where you might give an FPV to a less likely candidate - in order to qualify for funding under the Electoral Acts (from the Central Exchequer), a political party must have obtained at least 2% of the FPVs at the last Dáil election.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

I think a great example of lower order preferences making a crucial difference was in a real political Sliding Doors moment from the recent past.

Holly Cairns is the leader of the Social Democrats. However just over 5 years ago she was a political nobody.

She ran for that party in the rural area of Bantry-West Cork in the 2019 local elections. She ultimately got elected by a single vote to Cork County Council. Less than a year later she got elected to the Dail and the rest is history.

Here are the details of that election count:

Cairns had polled very well in First Preference (#1) votes placing her inside the top 3 with 4 seats to fill. However there were 3 FG candidates below her and when their votes consolidated their lead candidate leap-frogged Cairns to ultimately join the top 2 in getting elected. That left Cairns fighting it out with Independent candidate Finbarr Harrington (who himself had lost out on the 12th count in the 2014 election) for the final seat.

A pivotal moment was the 6th count. At this point Harrington was 40 votes ahead of Cairns. After the fifth count the second FF candidate, George Gill, was eliminated. This was the final elimination of the contest prior to the final round. That means that all of the subsequent rounds were determined by transferred ballots that had George Gill as their top preference of the remaining candidates.

So initially the largest number of those potential 1,508 Gill transfers went, as expected to his FF running mate Patrick Gerard Murphy, getting him elected. Cairns also did much better than Harrington out of them and was able to close the 40 vote gap between them completely to leave it as a tie.

The elected candidate Patrick Gerard Murphy received 489 transfers and since he was only just short of the quota of 2,308 prior to that count he now had an excess of 474 votes. When those were examined there was enough to get the FG candidate, Katie Murphy elected (she too had been just short of the quota). Crucially the battle between Harrington and Cairns swung back in the other direction as Harrington received more of these transfers and took a 9 vote lead.

That just left 68 votes to transfer. Just to reiterate these were votes that all had, in order of preference, George Gill, Patrick Gerard Murphy, Katie Murphy on them. They may not have had them as their exact #1, #2, #3 as there could have been other candidates on the ballot that had already been elected or eliminated but they were all definitely there and in that exact order.

Of those 68 ballots it turns out that a large number were actually non-transferrable at this point. That is to say that 32 out of the 68 of the ballots, that were going to decide the final seat, had neither Cairns nor Harrington marked at all on them. That means that 36 did. Since Harrington had a lead of 9 he only needed 14 of those to go his way in order to win. He got 13.

For the record this did actually go to a re-count and the above is the summation of that recount. In the initial vote Harrington was deemed to have won by a single vote but after the recount it was found that he had actually lost by that same margin. He is running again in this week's election.

Advertisement