Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think people's paranoia really exploded during lockdown. Lapped up media like sheep.

Had someone in the office today blithering on about EVs every myth there is. I just walked away.

Meant to come back to this. I see both shops advertising their chargers. On reflection I think all my local ones have chargers. Though I've never used them. Easy go I think. While I never use a local one. I can see the value in knowing a chain of shops is likely to have a charger wherever you go. Obviously handy for people without home charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is it overreaching or embarrassing if California, the UK and Ethiopia get there before us?

It's overreaching and embarrassing to think that's a useful comparison....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

There used to be queues at these until charging was introduced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/06/01/from-dublin-to-mayo-will-my-ev-get-me-to-the-church-on-time-for-a-family-wedding/

Not anti Ev but definitely an article that wouldnt even be news if there wasnt a concern that Evs are a pain in the hole to charge/ not news if the country had ample chargers in more remote locations - charging anxiety now replacing range anxiety.

Summary, Irish times correspondent owns an Ev, lives in a terrace house so "can only dream of the luxury of a dedicated parking space to charge my car at discounted night-time rates", and has a wedding in Mayo to go to. Charging the car to 100% before the journey is not simple but with effort and luck it is almost managed and they also get lucky with chargers on the way there and back so in the end all is good, albeit a lot of time and effort spent on the phone looking for chargers and alternatives. Ironically a green party Ev is blocking (perfectly legally of course) one of the potential charge points!

In the end, its a fuel cost of about €75 rather than €100 for an ICE so as a reader you are left wondering if its worth the hassle and anxiety, the correspondents view is improvements in charging infrastructure is the only way to meet the governments targets on Ev uptake

Tangent…. some Ev heads get insanely annoyed at anyone who says they are "privileged" to have a driveway, maybe "luxury" of a driveway as used in the above article would be ok phraseology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Complete BS article, designed to feed an anti EV narrative. Yer man has a cross country journey the next day so, rather than charge the night before at a fast charger like a normal person, decides to go hunting for a *slow* charger to plug into for hours the next morning before travelling and then moans he has trouble doing so and is caught for time. You'd want to be pretty thick to do that - or deliberately engineering your piece for clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I can't read the article and I don't know what part of mayo he was going to or what part of Dublin he's starting in

I drove Dublin to knock airport last weekend, total charging time 20 mins in Charlestown so had enough to get back.

Last year I drove Dublin to Westport for a Tommy tiernan show and can't remember charging time, but it was minimal and we eat at same time as charging.

At no stage was I anxious, worried or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

It just reinforces the view expressed by many EV owners on here, dont bother buying an EV unless you have home charging

Was down in Cork yesterday and charged at Mahon Point supercharger. Was lucky that 2 free chargers when I arrived but another lad arrived just after me.and plugged into last one. Then 3 further cars arrived and queued. I was charging for just over 20 min while the lad beside me left about a min before me.

The other 2 chargers were hogged by 2 Model S that were plugged in but not charging. So the 3rd car could have been waiting up to 40 min for a charge. Pita if you were in a rush. Not an anti EV view just reality.

I know it's a 60 to 70k car or whatever it costs, but the new BMW 3 series reaffirmed my belief that PHEVs are a big part of the future, it may require a policy shift but a 100km range from battery and ICE engine is not to be sniffed at.

I'm fully EV, 2 of them outside and not an engine in sight but I do think to win people over to driving on battery power, a 100km PHEV is a tempting proposition.

I also don't think it would be that expensive to put the 20kwh battery into cheaper, more mainstream cars.

Plenty of people with driveways refuse to entertain the idea of EV, it's not just those without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yes but unless the unfortunate driveway-less eV drivers get their story out there that the charging situation has to be both plentiful AND cheap for mass adoption, then there will be nether mass adoption nor many feel good stories in the media

The writer of the article lives in Stonybatter and from what i can see theres only slow chargers in that area. He would hardly be expected to drive to blanchardstown or the likes to do a "quick" charge for an hour or so and then back in would he ? Thats hardly the definition of convienent compared to plugging into a slow charger round the corner and picking up the car a few hours later, and he is hardly being malicious to keep to the normal charging routine that he would normally use.

What's the end objective of adding 20kwh to cars.

What would you call waiting until last minute to charge from 0% for a long distance journey to a wedding. Knowing full well access to local chargers is problematic. Not least considering the person had exactly the same experience the last time they did this.

I mean why have an EV at all if you've no access to reliable to charging. Seems like that's asking for problems. But perhaps that's the objective.

More journeys done on battery. Like it or not, a big majority don't have the same mindset as us, some people will never go full EV until there's 1000km range and fast charging as easy as filling with petrol. Which means massive batteries of newer technology, costs on buying cars and costs of providing infrastructure.

Doesn't solve for the drivewayless amongst us but would solve for anti EV

I had a shorter range phev before EV and with 100kms real world range, I'd do it again if I liked the car and price was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have said this repeatedly, but this place is like an ard feis for the Green Party on the subject. Modern generation PHEVs with good range are the perfect solution for more or less carbon free driving together with having none of the downsides of a bev.

Yeah and I think the future will be a 'hybrid', pardon the pun of EVs and PHEVs.

Hard to foretell human behaviour but if electricity is substantially cheaper per km driven than petrol, you'd like to think people will go to the effort of plugging in. But then again, maybe not.

I had phev 530e but it was the original one from 2017/18 and the range just wasn't good enough, for me, on electric, and I like driving on electric but I was 50/50 electric/petrol and constantly trying to eek out range. I wouldn't be doing that with anything approaching 80kms real world most days. I couldn't ever see myself charging on long drives though which I suppose is a drawback.

Nothing perfect, eh!

But personally, I'm happy with ev. The biggest advantage for me is no engine or gearbox to worry about to be honest

I think someone who finds the organisation of charging a large battery once or twice a week isn't going to be bothered charging a very small battery every night or every other night. Really the stats back that up. Whatever the % that will jump to EVs. It's a tiny % will regularly charge phevs. They end up being driven on ICE almost all the time.

I used to think if you actually spend all week doing local journeys and then the occasional long journey, or regular long journeys then a phev makes sense. I'm not so sure now. Seems to be very few who actually do that. The theory is great. Just isn't backed up in real world use.

most people do precisely that. Short journeys together with occasional long journeys, the exactly use case where PHEVs excel.

its far cheaper to plug in the PHEV than run it on petrol and if someone wants to run it on petrol all the time and pay for the privilege, so what.

Arguably the BEV does that far better. Mostly short journeys with occasional long trips.

If you're using the ICE most of the time in a PHEV you might as well have a 100% ICE.

If someone actually uses the battery a lot in a PHEV and plugs it in religiously they are getting the best out of it. Studies have shown that the majority just don't do that. Thats a problem. Arguably it's like people buying massive 4x4s to drive around a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting and probably true; however not a good thing really if it is true.

Anyway - having observed the consistency of anti-cycling and in particular anti-cyclist articles over the past 10/15 years across all mediums of media, I can merely say 'Welcome to the Club'.

The most benign spin you can put on it is that its part of some culture war, what part I dont understand.

But the fact is that most print media and day time radio is consumed by an older, conservative demographic who like their old ways; and they sure dont like cyclists. Newspapers can be 'voice of record' in theory, but they aint gonna cross those punters.

• Advertisement

I've noticed an increase in disinformation, false narratives, distortion etc. One I spotted an article that was balanced and the next day it had been edited to distort the truth. I know at that point it's deliberate. Started for me with public services, then cycling then EVs. noticed it also with housing stats, landlords, immigration etc. Some news organisations have an obvious political agenda, and then click bait comes into it.

The EV stuff though has got to absurd levels. Going to wedding on other side of the country, going to charge the car very last minute in an area without fast chargers, or reliable charging. That's just nonsense. Having to charge 2hrs for 30 mins driving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ev fan

The opposite approach would be range extenders like the new Qashqai e power. I don't know how the cost comparisons are between a longer range phev and range extenders? A friend of mine bought a new RAV4 but wouldn't go for the PHEV version even though he could afford it. He reckoned the extra price premium for the PHEV vs potential fuel savings wasn't worth it. The RAV4 hybrid is surprisingly frugal for such a big tall car with around 50mpg overall.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Qashqai e power isn't a range extender, it's just a series hybrid with no capability to charge the battery other than running the petrol motor to generate electricity.

The term range extender is used for cars that primarily operate from a battery charged via a plug that has a similar series hybrid system to extend the battery range, such as BMWs I3 REX

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ev fan

Sorry got my thoughts crossed on this. The e power runs solely on electric power which is supplied by a petrol engine. I actually meant something like rhe BMW i3 Rex range extender for people who aren't prepared to rely on a full BEV.

Some of car reviews I've seen have mentioned the comparatively poor economy of the e-power PHEV. But also noted it was the closest to an BEV in terms of driving experience. Those new nissan SUVs are roomier then many competitors, I really liked them. Lots of real buttons also. Perhaps if you stay within the battery mostly it all works out.

Some owner reviews of the e-power really liked them. A large i3 Rex seating 5+ might tick a lot of boxes for people.

I thought the ice doesn't power the drivetrain directly though in e-power . They might have more than one drive train called e-power though.

https://www.evanshalshaw.com/blog/what-is-nissan-e-power/#:~:text=In%20a%20conventional%20hybrid%2C%20the,pack%20while%20you're%20driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

The petrol engine runs as a generator and charges the battery. The battery powers an electric motor to move the wheels. For some reason there is no way to plug them in to charge the battery, so the petrol engine isn't a range extender, it's the only energy source.

even if they didn’t plug it in; unless you are in the green lobby… so?

I have a rav4 phev, it’s always plugged in and all its driving is on cheap electricity. I rarely (only once ever) used public charging because the ice is more convenient and arguably cheaper to run that public charging.

The additional cost of the phev is well worth it, as you get away more performance, 4x4 and better towing capacity. 50mpg is optimistic, I think it’s closer to mid 40s.

• Advertisement

That you jump straight to "green lobby" speaks volumes.

Its pointless to carry the extra weight and complexity of hybrid drive train if people don't plug it in. They'd get better mpg (and all the other stuff) without it. Just buy a non hybrid ICE. It's just physics. They are generally paying more for a less economical vehicle, if they don't (or rarely) plug it in. They certainly aren't recovering the extra cost by cheap electricity if they don't plug it in.

Likewise I doubt the fuel saving on filling up in a garage on occasional long trips vs the cost of public charging really offsets the extra costs of the PHEV, unless you are doing a lot of long distance driving and public charging.

But then if you are doing a lot of long distance driving and public charging, a non hybrid diesel makes more sense. Whereas if the vast majority of your driving is home charged then a BEV makes more sense.

Likewise any fringe cases like towing or 4x4 use just get the ICE. If someone says they are happy to pay more to have the PHEV and no range anxiety, I get that. Or just like driving a hybrid.or actually plug it in a lot..

But the govt is not penalising anyone from having a diesel or petrol so theres no requirement to have a hybrid over a non hybrid. It's still 2008 in that regard.

Advertisement