Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

When you resort to making things up it isn't a good look. Ireland haven't taken in more Ukrainians per capita than any other EU nation.

I'm happy to change the term to anti-refugee sentiment. Or maybe anti-persons fleeing war sentiment? I'm comfortable using both terms.

I can't provide evidence of this thread influencing the government tbf. I accept that. So instead, we can agree that posters on this thread who've demended that Ukrainians be targeted with cuts and disincentives to stay in Ireland are no doubt delighted that the Government have done exactly that.

Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If it is the case that the asylum system is open to systematic abuse McNamara would have been well aware of it long before 2020 and 2021, so why only start discussing it now?

Here's a list of some of the roles he previously filled as part the EU's section on employment, social affair and citizenship.

https://pace.coe.int/en/members/6764/mcnamara

Here's a report he wrote on human rights and the EU detailing arguments on asylum and border control.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2014_2019/documents/libe/dv/5_report_/5_report_en.pdf

Here's an EU measure he votes against in 2014 calling on support for Italy to clamp down on traffickers in the Mediterranean.

https://pace.coe.int/pdf/71e5d01deed13799b1e714e39d056a573adfe671dcc4af33a3fcd7b60a728eac/doc.%2013531.pdf

He's been very engaged in this area for a long time now. If there were systematic abuses, or the potential for them, I think it's fair to say he would have known. So why change his tune now, just as an EU election arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Why, at a time when Government efficiency in the area is declining and abuse of the system has increased exponentially, would a person become interested in addressing the issue? I wonder indeed. McDowell is consistent on the issue, I commend him for that, but I won’t condemn McNamara or others for altering their opinion in light of recent developments in the area. McNamara is an intelligent, eloquent speaker which is valuable, whether he has altered his views because the reality of the policy space has changed, or because it is politically convenient, or out of some mixture of the two. And I suspect it’s his capability, rather than some drive to expose hypocrisy, that has you so exercised.

Post edited by Geert von Instetten on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Regardless of whether those people living in DP accommodation are still classified as asylum seekers or not is irrelevant, if they were all asked to leave tomorrow to free up space for people still in the system the homelessness figures would rise to close to 20k overnight and would be a terrible look for govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So anecdotal then, thanks.

Anti-persons fleeing war? Could we not agree on anti-persons gaming a system set up for people fleeing war in order to gain residency rights where they don't meet work visa criteria?

• Advertisement

No, we can't agree on that. Ukrainians are fleeing war. There's no debating that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

That's not even up for debate, I do not include them, I include Albanians, Georgians, Algerians, South Africans, Pakistanis, Nigerians, countries where it is possible for citizens to live a safe and peaceful life, yet we are inundated with IPAs from these countries and it is causing an unnecessary drain on resources trying to help persons fleeing an actual war, see the displacement of Ukrainians to accommodate unprocessed IPAs.

But we are talking about Ukrainians. The anti-war fleeing brigade on this thread have consistently demended the Government target Ukrainians and cut payments to them. So when that happens, I find it very strange the same brigade then turn around and complain how the government have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I notice the article you linked to is from October 2023 and only tells one part of the story. The OECD figures for 2023 show that Ireland had one of the highest rates per capita in the EU, and more than Germany, France or the UK. Only six countries in the EU took more per capita than we did.

In November 2023 EU published figures showed that between September 2022 and September 2023, Ireland had an increase in the number of Ukrainian refugees arriving, of around 72%, whereas across the EU the average figure was a 7.5% increase.

Jean-Christophe Dumont, head of the OECD International Migration Division, said the high numbers of Ukrainians fleeing to Ireland was “surprising”, due to Ireland’s location and the tiny Ukrainian diaspora in Ireland before the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There is no misunderstanding @_Kaiser_

You posted a link in which the information directly contradicted your post to another and made reference to 'idiots ' .

I usually scroll past your long speeches which only serve to reinforce your opinion as the common narrative on the thread and do not add anything that can be discussed because it is usually just that , your opinion , which you are entitled to .You are also good at writing as I have said before .

Now this post was different .

You included a link which did not go with your reply to Bobtheman at all . Thanked as usual by those who haven't it seems read the link either . And the final statement about idiots was insulting both to him and others who disagree with the narrative being purveyed here .

I asked you why you didn't refer to the conflicting evidence within . You post back a patronising response and have continued in that vein ( misunderstood ? ) .

If you post you must be prepared to discuss , but you have not shown yourself willing here to reply in good faith .

Hence accusing me of all sorts which is clearly untrue is just to end the discussion .

If you had the honesty to admit that what was said in the link does alter what you replied to the op that would be fine . We could have reasonably discussed the housing situation and the government's plans .

But here we see that not only will you not , and doubled dwn , but you now seek to close the debate by insulting me , and trying to demean my posts saying I insulted another , it shows your immaturity .

Maybe you were as you say enjoying the weekend and didn't want to discuss at that time . Thats fair enough ...I was too .

But to be answer with rude and patronising posts that do not address the question asked is not on .

I will leave you to your speechifying so because thats what you are good for .

Now you enjoy your weekend .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement

Long speeches are an Irish tradition. We are a nation of orators, we're loquacious, long-winded, verbose, it's an Irish trait and long may it survive.

I don't know why you assume xenophobia just because some of us don't want Ireland to be flooded with hordes of dodgy men from Albania, Georgia, Nigeria etc. who can then spend years in the asylum system, lodging appeal after appeal. In what way is it a good thing for Ireland?

This discussion started with another poster asking for clarification about said politician being a " career politician " .

So yes @MegamanBoo has successfully shown that Michael McNamara is , a career politician and as such will do what it takes to get elected .

As long as people are aware of that no problem .

But you quote Pat Rabbitte whose smart answer completely decimated public trust in his party and lost them multiple seats

There are many voting next Friday who would not be happy if the person they voted for flipped in another direction purely because" thats what politicians do "!

He has not stated yet afaik which group in Europe he will ally with... said he wants to get to know them first ..fair enough.But those voting really should know because the groups in the European Parliament are crucial to the effectiveness of the MEP you are voting for .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

When you stop talking about being " flooded with hordes " I might take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I agree . Very insulting to be presumed to be Xenophobic because we see a serious problem arising

Most people are tolerant and accepting of genuine refugees and genuine asylum seekers and are happy to help and support them

Most people also know that allowing those in who are not fleeing war but are financial migrants in is making life more difficult for those in real need . Most people know that when resources are limited that you must prioritise those resources for those who need it most .
    Our resources , shelter and support is of course limited we dont have a magic money tree or can magic up enough housing so we have to be selective where our resources go

If that is called Xenophobia then people naturally call it out and reply .

The article is perfectly clear. The claim the poster made that Ireland has taken more Ukrainain refugees per capita than any other EU country is wrong.

Fair enough. The article is clear but doesn't mention the comparatively high number of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland compared to most EU countries.

What's your opinion regarding the OECD's immigration head and his bewilderment as to why so many Ukrainians headed for Ireland? Why do you think they did?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@slay55 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Should be taken into account that one of the main reasons took in so many Ukrainians is that Ireland is not a member of NATO and was therefore in no position to help Ukraine militarily. We are virtually the only country in western Europe who is not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dunno, people had the opportunity to reject FF/FG/Lab in GE 2020 and did not. All of these arguments were made back then too - immigration, emigration, welfare shopping, healthcare, housing in particular, taxation value for money.. People were called far-right and racist when pointed out that xx% of social housing lists were foreign-born or that resources such as education, services, were at breaking point.

But no, people were calling radio stations offering accommodation to Syrian refugees, demanding we do our fair EU share in taking in refugees instead of Greece, Spain, Italy being overburdened, demanding we send our Navy to the Med to rescue boats, that we need to uphold our reputation of céad míle fáilte, etc

• Advertisement

tbh I'm on the fence at this point on McNamara myself.

On the one hand I find the views he's now pushing deplorable, and for my money he epitomizes the great anti-immigration swindle.

On the other hand if the electorate are to elect some anti-immigration candidates, McNamara is the ideal choice for those of us who oppose the lies put forward by this movement. He lacks credibility not just for his dramatic 180 political u-turn but also for his previous flirtations with the anti-vax, anti-mask brigades. More importantly his previous experience and statements effectively undermine an awful lot of the anti-immigration narratives around 'unvetted males', islamophobia and the O'Gorman tweets.

As an aside I find his behavior here quite fascinating. I think it takes some brass-neck to come from where he did and now jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon. I'd also think it quite a dangerous route. How desperately does this guy need to be re-elected that he'll put himself in a position where he can be, and essentially has been, accused of stealing votes from the Irish far-right movement, some of whom we know to be extremely dangerous and violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Michael McNamara is not anti Immigration and not anti vax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The only way to get a Danish approach to immigration is to force it at the ballot box.

All three of the government parties have made it extremely clear that having an open and friendly policy towards asylum seekers is an important policy.

I see a few people here who seem to be under this mistaken opinion that some of the people in government will somehow be persuaded to change their mind. This is the stuff of fantasy and is in direct contradiction to their words and actions.

Interesting, I’m unconvinced and I’m unsure if you are being genuine. If the question is would a pro-immigration, pro-asylum person prefer McNamara to be elected over Blighe or one of the various other right-wing candidates, then fine, I accept that you would. McNamara is moderate, critical of immigration but ultimately moderate - to you McNamara is the lesser of two evils. Except, in ideal circumstances as far as you are concerned, neither would be elected, instead the electorate would vote for increased immigration. Which why I think you rant about McNamara, because he appears likely to be elected, and that rankles.

On the other hand, I reckon that despite your assertions to the contrary, McNamara has a credibility which would probably be more productive for those interested in limiting migration and asylum. Even Goldengirl was initially taken in by his policy platform. I reckon there’s more value in that than a person like Blighe, that doesn’t know the system, and doesn’t quite know how to temper his comments. Perhaps you do too. Perhaps that’s the concern!

Post edited by Geert von Instetten on

He's not anti-vax but as I said he's flirted with anti-vax positions.

He's certainly seen here as an anti-immigration candidate, unless you lot are washing your hands of him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'm not sure what you mean by 'your lot' but Michael McNamara is pro Immigration. He is against some of the governments policies and how they are handling things but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well said - I feel the exact same. You captured the madness of it all so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

No, their souls are already damned

But i can't accept that this madness continues .. so theres no one to answer my prayer you say ?

Tax payer me must continue funding this insanity indefinitely. We bailed out banks, masked up, shut up .. couldnt have found more obedient servants of Irish state past 10 years .. and we get this 😂

I refuse to accept it

Absolutely agree. Policies of deterrence consistent with the Danish model - increased thresholds for protection, reduced protection time-limits, reduced access to the labour market, reduced access to welfare, increased use of detention, reduced family reunification - are increasing in popularity throughout the EU. In Ireland, awareness of the Danish model has to be increased. Establishment politicians and the press are uninterested in entertaining it and right-wing candidates appear to have fairly limited understanding of it. As awareness of it increases, it’s popularity will increase. The key is to increase awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

Im overly Aware as it is .. hyper aware like

So who do I vote for to help make this come about ?

I need names

Advertisement