Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: some posts deleted. Any more goading and I'll be banning people!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

This is exactly it ….. by current party standards Sunak is a 'moderate' …. as you point out the party is packed with extremists like Braverman …. I remember I preferred Sunak at the time to Truss who ended up winning and then sinking 3 weeks later !! … Sunak though is no moderate really …. like a lot of autocratic regimes the leader who could be the PM or the President …. almost always is more 'moderate' than other members …. in case it is needed …..

I don't know if or when the Tories will head back to the centre …. current talk is Farage has designs in taking them over …. and that is hardly a step towards the centre …. I predict Sunak will not last much longer after the election which he will lose …. and he could be replaced with someone like Braverman, Truss again or even Farage …..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kemi Badenoch once again debasing herself.

This is just what they are now: Culture warriors intent on nothing but their own survival. This is supposed to be a party of government.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Abbot continuing to show all criticism of her is warranted, the levels of narcissism she is displaying are astounding she must have all attention on her at all times and keeps disrupting labour's manifesto announcements to grab attention back.

I doubt she was the one who deleted it and expect a staff member correctly took control.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Greengrass53

No you don't. You really can't bear the idea of them winning but you're gonna have to suck it up I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

You cannot move where the party membership doesn't want to go. Since the Tory party membership is at its lowest ebb in its history and the remaining rump are to a man over 60's rich bigots - how can you bring back the party to a moderate center. If you try the members are likely to drift away to a more extreme Reform platform and leave a party unable to campaign on the ground or field candidates.
    They have chosen their path and I feel it will drag them to hell before they find a way back. The same is happening to the Republican party which is turning itself into an irrelevance which can only get elected by extreme illegality and gerrymandering. Unfortunately the Tory/Republican media echo chamber will cheer them to hell and make the poor saps imagine they are the "hidden majority" that will have their day if they just keep faith and double down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's emblematic of the toxicity of that wing of the party. We're about to have the most left wing government in decades and they're doing everything they can to sabotage that. They'd rather take over and ruin Labour than have someone else implement left wing policies.

Don't get me wrong, Diane Abbott is absolutely a trailblazer but she's also a serious liability now and has been for some time. It's intensely frustrating. I voted Labour in 2019 while holding my nose but these Tory enablers would rather another Conservative government.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Oul Nigel has a big announcement at 4pm today apparently.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are suggestions that he might be about to announce that he is standing in the upcoming GE.

As one tweet said, "Go get the dolphin..."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭zell12

An emergency announcement, no less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I reckon he wants to make UK rejoining the EU his no.1 priority, hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

this is the sort of patronizing drivel you get from both extremes of the political spectrum. Be it the Morning Star or Gript. People constantly harping on about the main stream media lieing to the uneducated sheeple and only they know what is good for them.

I'd say he fancies some seat where the Tories are weak but which might fall to Reform instead of the Lib Dems.

H. H. Asquith

If you dont understand the huge influence of the Tory media in UK politics you are not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

and the left wing media has no influence at all, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Tories and Labour seem terrified of the right wing press, but to have no fear at all of what the likes of the Guardian and the Mirror are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Couple of papers are reporting that Farage will stand in Clacton.

Essex coastal constituency, with the typical faded-glory Victorian sea-side resort look in it's biggest towns. Previously won by Douglas Carswell (UKIP), currently a massive Conservative majority (72% vote in 2019) but considered vulnerable. One of the more plausible seats for Reform to have a chance in, slim though it would be. Similar make-up to South Thanet where Farage had his best result.

Not really. The Guardian is the main bastion of corporate leftism in the UK. Maybe the Independent as well?

Honestly, I'd almost forgotten that the Morning Star even exists.

H. H. Asquith

That definitely seems to be the rumour alright, as Farage is scheduled to make an 'announcement' at 4pm.

The most interesting part of this is not so much whether he wins a seat or not, but what this means for the Tories electoral chances overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is virtually no left wing media in the UK to begin with. Never has been.

One former broadsheet with a low circulation (Guardian), one mass market tabloid (Mirror)

There is also a right wing but anti the Tories since Boris mass market tabloid (Star)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So Farage decides to contest, when the tea leaves show he'd almost certainly win, brave man?

There are 5 serious Tory papers to the two left wing outlets - so there is a huge screud bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Farage taking over as Reform UK leader.
    Guess they feel it’s time to stop pretending

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Didn't he say he was staying out of the UK elections because it was more important to be shilling for Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Left wing media could be summed up as the Guardian and individual commentators here and there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically, IIRC; I'm guessing someone had a word in his ear that what remained of his credibility and access might disappear without at least attempting to stand.

I see the press conference (not in Clacton, must be noted) has seen some tetchiness. Truly the UK's biggest spoofer of the last few generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The YouGov/Sky News major polling prediction suggests Labour is on course for the biggest majority for over 100 years.

They project 422 Labour, 140 Conservative, 48 Libs, 17 for SNP, 2 Greens, 2 PC, Reform UK 0

140 seats for the Tories is being very optimistic : they could easily drop below 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭PommieBast

There was one poll not that long ago that put them at 66, barely ahead of the LibDems. Still early days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was one adjusted for maximal tactical voting, not a direct vote based one.

Advertisement