Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@slay55 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Should be taken into account that one of the main reasons took in so many Ukrainians is that Ireland is not a member of NATO and was therefore in no position to help Ukraine militarily. We are virtually the only country in western Europe who is not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dunno, people had the opportunity to reject FF/FG/Lab in GE 2020 and did not. All of these arguments were made back then too - immigration, emigration, welfare shopping, healthcare, housing in particular, taxation value for money.. People were called far-right and racist when pointed out that xx% of social housing lists were foreign-born or that resources such as education, services, were at breaking point.

But no, people were calling radio stations offering accommodation to Syrian refugees, demanding we do our fair EU share in taking in refugees instead of Greece, Spain, Italy being overburdened, demanding we send our Navy to the Med to rescue boats, that we need to uphold our reputation of céad míle fáilte, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

tbh I'm on the fence at this point on McNamara myself.

On the one hand I find the views he's now pushing deplorable, and for my money he epitomizes the great anti-immigration swindle.

On the other hand if the electorate are to elect some anti-immigration candidates, McNamara is the ideal choice for those of us who oppose the lies put forward by this movement. He lacks credibility not just for his dramatic 180 political u-turn but also for his previous flirtations with the anti-vax, anti-mask brigades. More importantly his previous experience and statements effectively undermine an awful lot of the anti-immigration narratives around 'unvetted males', islamophobia and the O'Gorman tweets.

As an aside I find his behavior here quite fascinating. I think it takes some brass-neck to come from where he did and now jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon. I'd also think it quite a dangerous route. How desperately does this guy need to be re-elected that he'll put himself in a position where he can be, and essentially has been, accused of stealing votes from the Irish far-right movement, some of whom we know to be extremely dangerous and violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Michael McNamara is not anti Immigration and not anti vax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The only way to get a Danish approach to immigration is to force it at the ballot box.

All three of the government parties have made it extremely clear that having an open and friendly policy towards asylum seekers is an important policy.

I see a few people here who seem to be under this mistaken opinion that some of the people in government will somehow be persuaded to change their mind. This is the stuff of fantasy and is in direct contradiction to their words and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Interesting, I’m unconvinced and I’m unsure if you are being genuine. If the question is would a pro-immigration, pro-asylum person prefer McNamara to be elected over Blighe or one of the various other right-wing candidates, then fine, I accept that you would. McNamara is moderate, critical of immigration but ultimately moderate - to you McNamara is the lesser of two evils. Except, in ideal circumstances as far as you are concerned, neither would be elected, instead the electorate would vote for increased immigration. Which why I think you rant about McNamara, because he appears likely to be elected, and that rankles.

On the other hand, I reckon that despite your assertions to the contrary, McNamara has a credibility which would probably be more productive for those interested in limiting migration and asylum. Even Goldengirl was initially taken in by his policy platform. I reckon there’s more value in that than a person like Blighe, that doesn’t know the system, and doesn’t quite know how to temper his comments. Perhaps you do too. Perhaps that’s the concern!

Post edited by Geert von Instetten on

He's not anti-vax but as I said he's flirted with anti-vax positions.

He's certainly seen here as an anti-immigration candidate, unless you lot are washing your hands of him now?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'your lot' but Michael McNamara is pro Immigration. He is against some of the governments policies and how they are handling things but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well said - I feel the exact same. You captured the madness of it all so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

No, their souls are already damned

But i can't accept that this madness continues .. so theres no one to answer my prayer you say ?

Tax payer me must continue funding this insanity indefinitely. We bailed out banks, masked up, shut up .. couldnt have found more obedient servants of Irish state past 10 years .. and we get this 😂

I refuse to accept it

Absolutely agree. Policies of deterrence consistent with the Danish model - increased thresholds for protection, reduced protection time-limits, reduced access to the labour market, reduced access to welfare, increased use of detention, reduced family reunification - are increasing in popularity throughout the EU. In Ireland, awareness of the Danish model has to be increased. Establishment politicians and the press are uninterested in entertaining it and right-wing candidates appear to have fairly limited understanding of it. As awareness of it increases, it’s popularity will increase. The key is to increase awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

Im overly Aware as it is .. hyper aware like

So who do I vote for to help make this come about ?

I need names

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Of course that is not xenophobia .

.But exaggerating numbers and attributing criminal attributes to people just because they don't know them is called xenophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I still think he comes across as intelligent , reasonable and moderate .

My worry would be that he has not declared his interests as regards his chosen group in the EP .

He would be a great asset to the right group and dangerous in the wrong group indeed .

By right I am not talking politically ..I think you know .

Btw I am Dublin so it's academic for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting video. Thanks for posting it. Unsurprisingly the NGOs aren't happy. You can tell the narrator/reporter isn't happy with it either - almost sulking in parts (ah for the days when news was unbiased).

Hard to disagree with the comments from people on the street near the end though. Interesting too that this is coming from a centre-left Government - so much for all the "far right" scaremongering.

Ultimately it's about finding a balance that still supports those who arrive and deserve it, but within sustainable limits, and in a way that still respects the natives and their culture, society, and needs.

What's wrong with that, honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

instead of Hoard you can use “5-6 legions” if that’s the level of accuracy we are being asked of.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

Agree, very interesting video. The centre left Danes have managed to reduce numbers by 80% in a short number of years without breaking any laws.

Instantly debunks the repeated claims made by a certain poster that there's no point in doing anything because nowhere in the world has managed to come up with policies that are effective in reducing numbers.

If that's me your referring to I've acknowledged that Denmark has managed to make itself more unattractive than other EU states.

The problem being that it seems to have only managed to push IPAs towards other EU countries, as evidenced by the thousands who've gone missing from it's detention camps, presumed now trying for asylum or living undocumented elsewhere in the EU.

As a larger entity such deterrent policies are unlikely to be effective EU wide, and will fail if more widely adopted. We'll remain more attractive than our Russian neighbour, for people fleeing persecution or desperate poverty in Africa or the middle east, and deterrent policies will fail as they have for the US and Australia where no alternative strong economy democracies are available in reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Advertisement

I have noticed the same at outdoor facilities going back a few years. I think this is mainly due to the tiny proportion of Irish who like to get out and about in nature compared to other nationalities. I find it is very obvious on a day like today, when the weather is OK but not sunny and warm. I think this says something more negative about the Irish than about other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Yes but should we just sit about and let Ireland become Britain.2. There will come a time maybe in 20/30 years that us white Irish will only make up 60% of the population, maybe even less. Now that's unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Scar001

That's the crux of it for me.

How far will they dwindle down the native Irish population to??

And let's be honest, assylum seekers are only a small percentage of non Irish in the country.

Immigration in general needs to be controlled.

I'm afraid if the next government/EU doesn't act then all hell will break loose and current Michael McNamaras and Mattie McGraths so called right winged views will pale into insignificance compared to those that follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Too long for me to read, but I gave it a like for the name …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Wow. And posters claim there is no racism or discrimination based on religion in Ireland........

Tell us poster did you ask them their religion or their nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What exactly do you see wrong with the ethnic breakdown of UK citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

If they are harming no one, I don't see the problem.

Amongst all the current state idiocy this is barking up the wrong tree. (No pun intended)

Exactly, Denmark demonstrates that a moderate Government is capable of adequately addressing concerns related to immigration and asylum without devolving into radical extremism, which is precisely why the Danish model, despite increasingly popularity in other EU Member States, is maligned. A policy of deterrence would be particularly effective in Ireland, an island on the edge of the EU and one of the last intuitive destinations for asylum seekers. Unfortunately the establishment are opposed to it and the burgeoning right-wing appear to unfamiliar with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Native population being outnumbered in large parts of their towns and cities

Advertisement