Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Not made with hands

Oh I see!

Well in fairness this is one of the benefits of the scheme.

On the golf course the other day I could see a few in the bins. You wouldn't bother when playing but makes sense for the grounds people to do it.

Same with everything from electric picnic to the all Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

Alot of people that would usually be siting down looking for money ,are now walking around carrying big black bags that rattle alot ,also noticed a lot of corpo bins have suddenly been bent open to gain access. O

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'll do a couple of bumps to crank it up for the morning 👊.

.👊.

.👊.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It is ninety percent of the containers.…do you see the link between public engagement and percentage of items returned? Do you think they will ever get close to 90 percent returns? More importantly how much of the percentage returned will be recycled?

How exactly should there be little need for extra car journeys? If you look simply at this charitable collections scheme you'll see there are going to be extra car journeys there that werent there before, or look at the amount of people who are doing their bit for the environment by shopping online who now need to hope in a car to try return items.

It's a deposit in all but name. It tax as it applies to all items no matter where purchased and the scheme is clearly designed to make it difficult for people to claim it back.

One of the many anomalies which you'd think would have come to light and been addressed prior to any public rollout of the scheme....

You've said on many occasions things like 'its early says' 'some other solution might be found' around various aspects of this specific scheme. We've been told there was a public consultation on this and sure isn't this scheme working well in other parts of Europe. There's no excuses for this scheme not delivering, yet all we are hearing are excuses.

It's a tax masquerading as a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No so fast there E.

They'd be processed as manual returns IE. counted.

That ain't speculation.

You backed down once questioned further, because your original statement was made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

He might find some Green Party politicians as he rummages through the rubbish bins following the next general election.

• Advertisement

Tesco have a history of not being able to localise.

They sell Union Jack emblazoned pencil cases etc, regularly sell BT phone double adaptors that don’t fit any known wall socket here and never seem to notice … They sold DAB radios in areas that don’t have DAB. I’ve seen them selling Dublin GAA shirts in Cork.

So, nothing surprises me that they’ve taken some UK Father’s Day promo and just rolled it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bog master

……..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Can we get our money back if we ReTurn this thread?

@Boards.ie: Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pot kettle black.

The bit you quoted was in reply to your suggestion that charity volunteers would have to look for an RVM.

You said

What will the charity do with all the cans when they can't find a working machine either?

I'll leave it to others to judge who is making stuff up.

I don't know any more than you do if they will reach 90%.

I hope they do and they are all recycled.

I have been recycling for years and never make a separate journey. I always fit it in with another trip.

It's just not a tax no matter how often you say it is.

I agree with you that it should be easier to get deposits back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's not a tax. Taxes go to into the exchequer. Your "deposit", on the other hand, is going directly into the pockets of a private company. It won't benefit the country like a tax. It only swells the coffers of Re-turn and their vested interests.

That's a fair reflection of what it actually is.

Do you think that they will reach ninety percent return rate based on what you have seen so far?

Many people try do their bit for the environment by shopping from home, they tend not to go to the shop on a weekly basis. This scheme will add to their car journeys, indeed the overall mileage needed now to 'recycle' will have increased dramatically in the end to end cycle.

Again, we've been told elsewhere this scheme has worked elsewhere for decades, yet they are having teething problems and problems that they didn't foresee. Doesn't add up.

Another poster has better described what the DRS fee is. Maybe not a tax, but worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

75 million returns in May, and 150 million total in the first four months. Assuming €0.022 per item that is €3.3 million going to the retailers already. The fact that May on its own equalled the first three months, shows that the system is on the up. Although I have never been delayed at a machine, the fact that queues have been reported also shows it is being well supported.

"All Retailers who operate return points and take back Deposit Return Scheme 'in
    scope' containers from consumers, will be paid the following Handling Fees:

Manual Collection
    €0.026 per container*

Automatic Collection (RVM)
    €0.022 per container*
    *Price is per unit regardless of material"

People have no choice if they want to get their money back so their will be some level of support all the time.

You'd never have any idea of the amount of support for the legacy scheme but I'd wager it was more than this one currently anyway.

They've still not addressed the many issues that apparently blindsided them since day one and failing to address those has turned many people against this.

When exactly, I wonder are they suppose to start producing meaningful figures?

• Advertisement

As discussed on the thread before, Re-Turn thinks it is fair to give it a year from the end of the phase in. As they say that will capture the peaks and troughs which go to make up the average sales over the course of a year.

"Return rates

The Irish Scheme began on 1 February 2024. Retailers are still phasing out non-logo and non-deposit drinks containers on shelves until the end of the transition period, 31 May 2024. Therefore, Ireland will not have a full year of the scheme in action until 1 June 2025 to assess more accurate return metrics.

The assumption of an equal number of containers sold daily throughout the year, 5 million per day, doesn’t align with the actual sales pattern of drink containers. Peak periods, such as Christmas and the summer months, significantly impact sales. Additionally, this method fails to consider the volume of non-deposit stock sold by retailers during the transition period until 31 May."

Of course they do.

I wonder what will happen in June next year when they release the figures and see they are well off where they should be. Serious questions need to be asked. They are being asked now but the organisation are completely ignoring people.

They have no issues releasing the monthly return figures but problems releasing the sales figures. Why so I wonder?

Who are the auditors for this company? It would be important to verify the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Why can't you use the refund receipt at any store?

It just cheeses people off and will backfire on their corrupt money making scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's a guy that's emptying the bins on the platforms, of any cans and bottles with the deposit, which usually go straight to a compactor, without recyclables being separated.

I already said I don't know if they will reach 90%.

You'll have to settle for that because there's not enough information available to make a full assessment of their chances.

TBH I doubt if anyone in Re-turn could give you a guarantee at this point.

If people want to make special journeys to recycle I suppose they will.

But most, I think, will do the obvious and fit it in with some other task.

I wish there were less teething problems but I don't know whose fault each problem was.

I was surprised that Lidl who had experience in other countries and actually ran pilot systems here had so much trouble.

At least we have moved on from calling DRS a tax

• Advertisement

That's a value judgement that I disagree with.

It's clearly a refundable deposit.

The current problems with the system don't change that.

Each consumer who pays a deposit has a container that can be returned for a refund.

That's the legal situation, you are entitled to a refund.

The retailers and Re-turn need to get their act together and make sure you get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement