Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ah now Oat23, I'm fairly sure Jarvis scored 4 and ye got walloped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Won't complain about that result anyway. Galway really should have scored a 2nd goal after they equalised but they didn't and great work from Leavy who wasn't in form recently set up for Nolan to slot home for the winner. Galway hit the crossbar immediately after that but we held on.

Would disagree somewhat with the Galway poster above that Galway dominated the game bar the fifteen minutes before halftime. Neither team did anything for the first 30 minutes which should be recorded and marketed as a cure for insomnia. We scored and dominated the rest of the half and could easily have scored a second. The first 15 minutes of the 2nd half was fairly even but then Lombodo came on and Galway completely took over for the next 25 minutes and deserved their equaliser. They had a few chances after that but we scored and bar the aforementioned crossbar header we held on reasonably comfortably.

Melia really put the Galway backline under pressure and was fouled repeatedly. He's a super talent. Palmer while not quiet as good as last week had a good game and it isn't that much of a coincidence that we started to struggle once he went off. Lennon had a nightmare of a match and bar setpieces Brandon Kavanagh offers very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d say Forrester was the best player on the pitch, definitely the best Pats player tonight. Melia has a good future ahead of him, but he’s playing in the big boys league and the ref had him wrapped in cotton wool tonight.

A draw would have been a deserved result for either side, but fair play to Pats, dived to look for a penalty for the second, should have been booked, but Galway should have played the whistle and not stopped. Had opportunities to stop both Pats goals and didn’t.

Such is football, and fine margins etc…. An enjoyable(ish) trip to Inchicore!
    Onto next week!

Considering some of the frees your backline and McCormack "earned" there was plenty of cotton wool for all tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City lose to Athlone. The fine run has come to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Great win at the RSC tonight, must check the rest of the results now. Presume Rovers won handy and the greatest player in the history of the league had a cracking game as Shels swatted Sligo aside with ease?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hard one to take against Sligo because we had more than enough chances to win the game, but credit to them, Sligo stood tall and took their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d say it was probably the best defeat in the history of the LOI! 😂😂

We're brilliant at getting body position frees. Melia won plenty of justifiable frees but the one where Francely ran beside him and he just fell on the ground was woeful from the ref. Leavy 100% dived to try and get a pen and then assisted the goal from that, galling.

I'd agree not much happened first 30 but anything that was from us, ye we're just giving the ball away constantly. Think we had 4 corners and a cuppa half chances when ye coughed up possession.

Melia is talented but not sure the future Irish international stuff from the commentator is necessary yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

I can definitely see why you felt robbed of a point. After the equaliser it looked like there was only going to be one winner. However, them’s the breaks. Just nice to be on the right end of a late goal for once. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, we robbed Drogheda a cupla weeks ago and we got it back tonight. Doesn't feel as bad as I'm sure they felt that night though. We played well, created chances and were very comfortable for long periods, we can take a lot from tonight.

Weird vibe to have lads on here whose team also lost, giving it the big one about Shels losing.

Golden Miller lad truly has some of you on strings

Are lads not allowed have a laugh back even when their team lose? Surely if it's good enough to waffle on and give the guff it has to be a two way street? Definitely wouldn't get too precious about it like.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Taking the piss out of someone constantly giving it the biggun, very weird alright. Relax there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Blue moon rising, up to 4th with 2 games in hand on 3 above. Big game in the Brandywell next, hard to believe where we are now after Derry outplayed us at the RSC not so long ago. C'mon Blues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shels are still going to win the league and TGM's outlandish posts from February will be rembered forever. Like Super Gretna but with a happy ending.

If we win the league I would happily get a Will Jarvis soliloquy tattooed on my face

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

Are you 12 Ffs hahaha. He doesn't have anyone "on strings" everyone is just laughing at him.

• Advertisement

Eh if people have genuinely been waiting 9 games for us to lose a game to get their shots in, then I think people might be slightly more wound up by those posts than they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Those two goals Shels conceded tonight are even more horrible to watch on the LOI TV replay though Sligo took their opportunities clinically. That substitution of Ledwidge for Martin going three at the back I thought was crazy when Duff made it as we got the equaliser and we were in control, that was a rare drop in discipline of Duff's tactics and two minutes later we were punished on that same left side and we never recovered for the rest of the match

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers win in Drogheda. This is not a drill.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In your head, in your head, Golden Miller....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Shelbourne, top of the league.......

Just one of those games. Sligo goalie played a blinder, could of put 6 past them. Lost count of the one on ones we had.

Still, comfortably top of the table, still going to win the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Jusr because you say it doesn't make it right.

It's interesting that you become so paranoid just because you lose a game.

Would you prefer not to be top if the league and no-one speaks about you?

Become a Drogheda supporter like me so.

Everyone likes us. Because they beat us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Great win for the blues. Most in form team of the last ten games now. Fantastic to see the club being run as good on the pitch as we are off it. Between the great community initiatives and the performances it's been a great season so far. Would still snatch the hand off you for eight but we will enjoy this while we can.

Have people not been taking the piss out of his posts non stop?

When he makes them yeah, but not waiting 9 games for us to lose one to dive in 5 minutes after it’s over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

for future reference what’s the time limit when we can discuss shells.

It’s pretty much all we do these days. Duff and Golden Miller probably consume approx 50% of the posts on this thread these days (I swear I’m not feeling left out).

Apparently one of the lads on our bench won't be able to travel to Waterford next week as he's doing his junior cert. Is that a first? Probably be missing a few others doing the leaving as well but that's more common.

• Advertisement

Junior cert! Have never heard that one now I must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Madrid's win last night has a knock-on effect of bumping Ferencváros from round 1 to round 2 of the CL Qualifiers.

Lessens the likelihood of Rovers having to suffer a hammering off them for a 3rd year in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Champions League qualifying is mad. Shams start off seeded where they could get a winnable tie against the champions of San Marino, Andorra or Nordie champions Larne (surely the dream tie). Then they'd be unseeded in round 2 where it's unusual for an opponent not to have a budget of €20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SK having a tough start at Pats.

Terrible so far tonight, but just got a goal back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭RamonD3

That Derry Waterford score mad too, no form book this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭RamonD3

Getting rid of the preliminary round has meant a few more favourable potential opponents in QR1 (albeit Breidablik came out of that last year and were a fine side). Wouldn't fancy Larne at all but the one that put the shudder up the spines was Panavesys. New club but bad memories!

Where to start with that rubbish from us. I'll start with some praise for Guilin free kick, an absolutely brilliant strike, his 2nd and their 3rd might have got a deflection but it was a good strike anyway. But their 2nd goal....Rogers can't let the ball through him like that. He's been fairly good but that was a shocker.

The rest of the team tho, we had forty five minutes to get an equaliser and we had two chances that I'd classify as an actual chance. Dundalk came closer to scoring a fourth really. Full backs were woeful and we need a new right back in July even through there's three in the squad, need a left back also because we've only one of them and he's injured. Forrester and Lennon are just so easier to play through. Lennon was really poor for their 2nd and 3rd goal, his positioning is dreadful and too often opposition have space between the midfield and our defence because he's out of position. Forrester is slowing down play too much and quite simply is played around when we don't have. Leavy runs and runs but quality from him is fairly rare, he wasn't the worst of us today but he's been poor since the 2nd or 3rd match. Mulraney was rubbish today, hit some awful setpieces and Brandon Kavanagh is awful from open play. It's says a lot when a 16 year old admittedly a very talented one is our best player although Melia wasn't good today and I think two full matches in a weekend is too much atm for him. Cian Kavanagh isn't good but if we were just going to lump balls into the box like we ended up doing I'd nearly rather he was kept on.

Kenny should know now the scale of the task in front of him. We can't afford to lose in Drogheda as we'd be deep in relegation if we do.

Big win for ourselves at the Showgrounds. Draw wouldn't have been unjust however. Ref sh*te as always. Is there a chance Evan Weir stays with Drogs or is he heading to Walsall at the end of the month?

We announced ex Derry & Bohs winger Stephen Mallon at HT. Guessing he will replace Hartmann. Any Bohs/Derry fans know if he's any use? Been with Cliftonville recently.

Crazy result at Richmond Park.

Mallon showed a lot of potential when he arrived at the Brandywell. He was very direct and did well, but I think he started to slip out of the starting lineup or got injured or something. And faded.

Has potential, that's for sure. Not sure how he was doing in the IL, never really seen any from him up there.

THats 2 easy victories against Waterford. Can't see how they are so high up in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Can’t be giving teams a 3 goal start. We’re just conceding too many poor goals, though you can’t legislate for someth8ng like Rogers howler for the second. At the other end of the pitch meanwhile we aren’t creat8ng enough chances. A bad, bad combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wouldnt blame Rogers because he pulled off some good saves, especially the shot from Kenny at the end. he is a good keeper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I always thought he looked good when he played for us, but he rarely did as he was always injured. Long rated him highly and drove up to Belfast close to Christmas time to convince him to sign for Bohs.

Yous might get a good 45 minutes out of him over 10 games but the physio will see more action out of him, seems he didn't get a lot of minutes at Cliftonville either.

Ah I dunno, as a Blue I expected nothing from that game. Squad, midfield in particular starting to get very stretched with injury, long trip 3 days after a match and nobody to rotate with our 36 year old striker who presses well into injury time in games. Fatigue is going to be a factor at this point with some of the efforts recently.

In all honesty though I still don't think we will get much change out of Dery this year, they were the most dominant team to beat us at the RSC aswell a few weeks back, we never looked like troubling them over the 90 minutes there. Their style just nullified us completely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement