Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furiosa

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

maybe, but "mad max" was never really that big a franchise anyway, so don't think the absence of the "main" character is doing it in. Heck I'd say the absence of Charlize Theron is probably a larger negative factor?

But the fact Warners gave Miller not one but TWO blank cheques for functionally niche Aussie flicks is strange but kinda wonderful.

If you go, be cognisant that it is NOT Fury Road and a constant chase. It spends most of its time away from the War Rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Northman and Beau is Afraid are another couple cases from recent years where directors got the go ahead for "artsy" type films, but unfortunately they weren't hits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not entirely true: I don't have figures cos streaming numbers can be hard to get, but apparently The Northman was a huge hit on digital. A box office flop absolutely no question, but it did really well on streaming and VoD

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh I know it's a different kettle of fish, but to be honest, I can't remember a single thing from 'Fury Road', so that won't be a factor. 😄

As for Mad Max not being a "big franchise", perhaps. But the film still has A Mad Max Saga as part of the title.

Plus a cameo by Max

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought it was an excellent film though definitely a step down in terms of action & pacing from Fury Road. Furiosa is about a half hour longer than FR and I felt that extra runtime towards the end unlike Fury Road which seemed to fly by. The standout action scene for me was the glider attack on the convoy not just in how the action was staged but also showing the audience something we hadn't seen before. A lot of the film feels like stuff recycled/leftover from the previous mad max film/comic/videogame. Even the character of "Praetorian Jack" is basically a recycled Mad Max. That probably sounds like I'm being harsher to the film than I actually feel. I'm glad I got to see it on the cinema screen and I'll get the bluray to sit alongside my copy of Fury Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Loved it, no interest in a "which is better" conversation as I think both this and Fury Road massively enhance each other, working really well as a double feature no matter what order you watch in.

Praetorian Jack is very clearly an intentional stand-in for Max and I think it gives good justification for why Furiosa trusts and sort of seeks connection with Max in Fury Road.

I also really like the choice to have two actresses play Furiosa in this movie, as it makes the later transition from ATJ to Theron less jarring, 3 actors for 3 distinct chapters of her life.

EDIT: Finally, something I've always loved about this franchise is the idea that the movies are myths/legends told by the Wastelanders and this movie fully leans into that idea with the History Man narration.

Also not sure I've seen it mentioned yet but this movie sort of canonizes the 2015 Mad Max video game, featuring reference to Dementus and the characters of Scrotus and Chumbucket. I believe Fury Road, the video game, and Furiosa (originally as an animated series) were supposed to be made and released together as a sort of cross-media trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭head82

Mel Gibson will always be Max to me. Having seen 'Mad Max 2: Road Warrior' on it's initial big screen release, I was completely blown away! Don't think I ever got to see the original 'Mad Max' on a big screen but certainly caught up with it on VHS. Although not as grandiose, it was equally impressive.. allowing for budget constraints and the technology available for it's day.

I'll refrain from mentioning 'Beyond Thunderdome'. I need to re-watch it in order to give it a fair appraisal.

When 'Fury Road' was announced, my heart sunk a little when there was no mention of Mel involved. ( I know, I know.. "he was too old" but they managed to shoehorn Arnie into 'The Terminator' franchise so they could have done something with the Mel Gibson 'Max' character.. no disrespect to Tom Hardy! ).

As much as I enjoyed 'Fury Road', it was more for the George Miller mental, metal, mayhem madness than anything to do with the Max character. He was essentially only a secondary character anyway.

As for 'Furiosa', I could care less for her backstory. I enjoyed it for the George Miller 'movie making mentalism'. If George is granted the finances to make another.. I'll happily go and see it.

But I miss Max.. Mel's 'Max', not anyone elses 'Max' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Been to see this three times now in the local big screen. So refreshing to see a well crafted piece of high octane action and proper sequential storytelling in the local cinema. Yeah it has a tendency to hark back to the original Mad Max works, especially 'The Road Warrior' (I think the road Taylor Joy walks about on after Burke kicks her out the war rig is one of the same roads depicted in Road Warrior) but it harks back very in a very subtle way, not plastering easter eggs or whatever all over the place just for the sake of it. Disappointed this isn't performing so well at the box office, but it's like everything else in the modern world of artistic creation, the $hit floats to the top.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

thumbs up for wanting the real Mad Max ;)

I haven’t seen Fury Road yet (about to watch it now) but I saw Furiosa yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Fantastic costumes and designs.

Hemsworth’s chariot was great and his performance was great fun. The kid playing young Furiosa deserved top billing with Joy and Hemsworth.

I didn’t like the choppy sped up moments in the action scenes. I thought at first there was something wrong with the projector until I remembered it was in Mad Max 2. Why did Miller do it? It makes those moments look silly.

Edit: just watched Fury Road. Another blast and there was a lot less choppy sped up moments (or maybe the were not so noticeable) although the blonde wife being killed was really horrible .

I expected the wives to be just eye candy but they took the time to give them personalities and make them capable survivors. And the Vulavani were great in the fight too. They were very likeable very quickly which them dying really matter.

Would have been a lot more fun with Mel Gibson in it but nothing wrong the way Tom Hardy played it. I remember talk of him being a major prick during filming. Why was a female producer not allowed on the set?

Is Max’s car the same one he had in Road Warrior? That would mean Fury Road takes place before Beyond Thunderdome?

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

"Is Max’s car the same one he had in Road Warrior? That would mean Fury Road takes place before Beyond Thunderdome?"

I can't say for certain but here's a little something that may offer some clarification:

"The Mad Max cameo in Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is so brief and seemingly insubstantial that it can barely be
    considered a cameo. It’s merely a cutaway to a wide shot of Max (played
    by Jacob Tomuri, Tom Hardy’s stunt double from Mad Max: Fury Road),
    his face not particularly visible, leaning against his V8 Interceptor,
    eating a can of food and casually staring out over a cliff into the
    emptiness below — a classic Mad Max stance, recalling the opening of Fury Road (although it’s taking place many years before that movie). Beneath him,
    way in the distance, we can see Furiosa slowly limping her way across
    the desert toward the Citadel."

Taken from Vulture.com

• Advertisement

The first thing to understand about Mad Max canon: there is none.

George Miller famously doesn't give a crap and doesn't even try to imply or suggest all the films are interconnected and trying to divine some kind of linearity between Mad Max, Road Warrior, Thunderdome & Fury Road is a fool's errand. Best way to think of it: the entire series are fables, oral history told between people of this guy called "Max" who kept showing up at various points - sometimes in defiance of apparent lifespans or logic - to help people out; then he disappears into the ether, never staying put.

But lore or canon? Nuh'uh, just ain't happening. Furiosa obviously IS a prequel to the titular character's backstory, but the main "Max" films simply don't have that kind of canon.

If you haven't seen the older films:

Doesn't the Gyro captain appear in both The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome with no continuity?

They're separate characters AFAIK albeit played by the same guy, again as part of the whole "canon doesn't matter here".

Was listening to the Blank Check podcast on this and seems like Miller retains full control of this property - hence the relative lack of output and merchandise. One worries once he passes we're gonna see the reboot appear not long after. Unless perhaps he passes the rights to an Estate?

I figured as much about Miller’s attitude to canon and continuity from his comment that Furiosa “maybe takes place after Thunderdome / 45 years after the collapse”.

However nothing in the original three films or in Fury Road contradicts and they seem to have a continuity other than Bruce Spence playing two different but the same pilots.

Bruce Spence is the “Gyro Captain” in Road Warrior. In Thunderdome he is a pilot called Jebadiah but Miller himself (I think) said he isn’t the same guy, he just wanted Spence again.

There's continuity in the original Mad Max series in that it takes place in the same "universe" and it features a guy called Max. Beyond that, there's not much to point a finger at. But there doesn't have to be. It's the world that the audience is coming to these movies to see, not any particular character, or canon, or lore. But Gibson's Max is the same guy in all three movies and we follow him on his adventure through the wasteland. But the three stories are quite different and relatively unconnected, which isn't a bad thing.

Unfortunately though, for the likes of 'Fury Road' and 'Furiosa', it's impossible for me to see them as part of the original series of films with Gibson. To me they are their own breed, as it were. Hardy's Max just isn't Gibson's Max and he could just as easily be called Crazy Carl. I think it would have been better if 'Fury Road' hadn't included Max at all, in fact, and was just a continuation of the post apocalyptic world instead.

It's clear that Miller isn't all that enthused at building any kind of canon for his series and that's great, as far as I'm concerned. Because, almost inevitably, that canon gets muddled and confused, and sometimes completely contradicted. Hello Star Wars/Star Trek.

The car Max drives in 'Mad Max' 1 and 2.. a V8 Interceptor (actually a Ford Falcon Coupe) is the same car you see at the beginning of 'Fury Road' and the brief cameo in 'Furiosa'. I can't remember what car, if any he drives in 'Beyond Thunderdome'.
    If we are attempting to impose a time scale or linearity upon these movies, it would not be unreasonable to assume that the 'Beyond Thunderdome' storyline takes place after 'Fury Road/Furiosa'.

Max's V8 doesn't make an appearance in Beyond Thunderdome. He's using a camel drawn cart made from some previously motorised vehicle at the beginning of the film. That gets repaired in Bartertown and he uses it at the end.

Its a fine way to spend a spare day, if you have it, watching the three of Mel Gibsons Mad Max character films. Everybody loves the second one but the first film is just clever raw underground brilliance. And the third one is a hell of a lot better than some of the trash that gets spewed out these days. I've a soft spot for the third one really, its heavily dictated by the corporate Hollywood franchise machine, both in its production value (great) and its story (weak enough), but it's a spectacular barometer of what was eventually to come in our own age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

3 is nowhere near as bad as people claim, it's better than many praised actioners. It's only weak in comparison to it's predecessor.

It's worth watching alone, imho, for Tina

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Three's ugly duckling status suffers from it never originally being a Mad Max movie, but was a random script about lost kids living through the apocalypse; they put Max into it but it never quite escaped that sense of it being something else entirely.

The production and world-building in the third one is brilliant though. Fury Road wouldn't exist without the world building aspect of the wasteland in Beyond Thunderdome, as weakish as the story aspect was.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Beyond Thunderdome is not a complete turd of a film but it is a much lesser film than either of the previous Max films, partly for the blatant "two stories inelegantly smushed together" aspect of the narrative and partly for the drop in age rating meaning that the violent nature of life in the post-apocalyptic outback was neutered.

It still has some great moments, mind, but I'd say it's the only Mad Max film (including Furiosa) that I'd have to give a caveat for when recommending it.

The train chase was fabulous, while Master Blaster and the overall aesthetic lended and argument that the iconography of Fury Road was directly related to Thunderdome more than Road Warrior.

Yeah, It's just the aspect of brutal warlords taking over the wasteland and indoctrinating some sort of brute cult control that we see in the third one with Aunties character, setting up the fortress with all its scams and forced control that only benefit her and her immediate circle. That's what Fury Road was all about, and I suspect what Miller was originally going for in Beyond Thunderdome, but the greasy Hollywood money got involved so it had to incorporate the money making shtick at the time, which was Speilbergian blockbuster works such as the Goonies/Lost boys etc. Thats why we had to suffer the lost desert kids, and why the whole thing became messy. The story of brutal warlords/warladies taking over is the entertaining aspect of the third one, and was IMO Millers original interpretation for it.

'Beyond Thunderdome' is a genuinely good film. Its opening is superb, in fact I think it's the best opening of the three original films. The ending is excellent too. Where the third film falls down is when we meet up with the kids. I get what Miller was trying to do with all of that, but it's always just a let down and it brings everything to a crashing halt. However it's, as you say, a hell of a lot better than some of the trash that gets spewed out these days. But that's really not hard considering the poor fare that's on offer a lot of the time.

Personally, I feel that the worst of the original three is the first film. Sure, it's got something going for it in that it was made for tuppence ha'penny and the stunts can be great to look at. But it doesn't really get going until the last 15 minutes and for too long it feels dull. Also, I don't feel like I'm anywhere but the Australian outback in 1979, as opposed to the brilliantly realised post-apocalyptic world in 'Mad Max 2' and 'Beyond Thunderdome'. I get that 'Mad Max' is the epoch of the apocalypse and that not everything has completely fallen apart yet, but it's just not enough. Bottom line is I've always felt the first movie to be a real chore to get through.

I used to feel that way about the first film but liked it more after watching it again around the release of Fury Road. It helps that it's only 90 minutes or so, but like you say the budget was very thin.

For the truck smash toward the end, they paid some local $100 to use his truck. He was a bit worried about damaging it so he put some ply-wood over the grill, if you watch the scene closely you can see it.

That nobody ever died making that first movie remains a minor miracle.

Heck that nobody died making Fury Road is also a miracle. Even Steven Soderbergh agrees lol

https://theplaylist.net/steven-soderbergh-mad-max-fury-road-20171109/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The irony of dying in a film littered with quasi-suicidal characters screaming "Witness me!".

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement