Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Are we talking about zgemmah7 here? Because if we are than the answer is the zgemmah7 isnt really fit to be a kodi box never mind addons. It will work but only just, kodi will always be on the edge with ram and cpu again never mind add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AindrisBro

well that’s better explains it. I simply took the fact it had it preinstalled that it was something that was manageable. In all fairness the cpu is usually low around the 20% (I’m assuming it’s cause of the ssd) just the ram stuck at 87%.. has anyone ever tried upgrading the ram in the box? I wouldn’t mind having it on it just to expand its use further

edit just looked it up and it’s impossible to upgrade the memory as it’s soldered into the motherboard. Just in case in anyone in the future is wondering. Cheers for the replies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Morning all, I installed the latest Vix version 6.5.003. Having an issue with plugins specifically Crossepg as it did not restore and won't from backups, I also can't find it in "download plugins"

The error is "bad magic number"

Can anyone point me as to where I can source crossepg and install manually?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭andy1249

Crossepg does not work with Openvix 6.5.xxx

Its in the release notes and discussed over on the WOS forums.

You use the installed EPG importers instead , which are simplicity itself to set up and work just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can I be really lazy and just ask how in the name of God do you retune a channel on this box when it changes frequency? Ive been through the menus 50 times and there is nothing, whats the easiest way?

For example on my parents Ariva you just add transponder→Scan→move the new channel to its desired position on the channel list and delete the old one. There is nothing like this on the Zgemma…

• Advertisement

So if I grabbed this USB dongle and plugged it in I could access the box without having to break out the network cable and run it to the router every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Setting up ABM autobouquetmaker plugin to run at 1am will remove and rescan your channels and no need to go searching and assume your box is connected to internet.

Or check Kingofsats for channel info to see if it has moved data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

" for this "Can I be really lazy and just ask how in the name of God do you retune a channel on this box when it changes frequency? Ive been through the menus 50 times and there is nothing, what/s the easiest way?" If using vix image.

1. menu, setup, tuners & scanning, press ok , now arrow down to signal finder, press ok, arrow down to tune, it will say predefined, arrow right it will say user defined, now enter your new details and press green, more than one channel may appear, select the one you want, press ok, it opens , arrow up, then menu, now see 7 add service , select it and then a list of bouquets appear select the one you want and press ok, It will be added to your bouquet but at the end, so now select it in bouquet, press menu and see red button enable move mode, then highlight the channel you want to move and it turns red, now move it to where you want. NB If enable move mode does not appear come back.

2, You can have same channel in loads of bouquets, Its seems tedious but once you learn it its easy peasy.

……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

after a few weeks with this box I've found a couple of things that I don't like.
    Maybe it is particular to my box or config, if so please add your opinion!

1. time shift doesn't seem to have a limit (other than disk space) This filled up a NAS share and crashed the STB.

2. the terristrial tuner seems "weak" for RTE2/TG4 mux. I do have it split nd can probably improve it, but one feed goes to TV and the other goes to the box. Even if I swap the feeds around, the TV has no problem where the STB occasionaly has glithcy reception.

3. it only has 1 terrestrial tuner. it really limits the ability to watch and record local TV or watch on 2 screens.

4. UI is a challange. I'm using the sky-ish one and you can switch from a sub menu to a a different menu branch - you have to go out then back in. eg. from EPG you can't go direct to recorded files. You can probably reconfigure what the buttons do but tthat seems like a massive job.

5. I've had a "random lockup" that required a hard reboot.

6. if the box is showing a menu dialog it doesn't seem possible to go onto standby until you exit back up to the main screen.
    eg. if I am watching a different input on the TV, I can't turn the STB off at the end of the night if it was waiting on a submenu dialog.

I'm wondering if the issues I have described are going to be the same on other HW running the same image, or the same if I run a different image on the H7s….

2 I would be rechecking your area provider is correct and your connections are good on your cables and no stray strands.

3 Never had an issue as if i wanted to record on terrestrial on another channel and view other on tv .

4 Most E2 boxes you have to exit out before moving to another job in the menu.

5 I also have had box lock up many times on all images even on ones done fresh and no backups restored.

6 Yes you have to clear any item from menu been showing before box can go into standby or other , all items are the same on other E2 boxes except the Hard reboot.

Point no 4: Ditch the sky copycat skin , they are all rubbish.

Its not a sky box , skins that pretend it is are flaky as hell. I ditched it for the openvix default skin and all my problems went away. Openvix default skin also lets me do whatever I want within all the menus without any fuss , live TV just moves up to a smaller window on the left whilst Im messing around.

Point number 1 , timeshift menu should give you options for start , stop , and amount of space/recording time used , if it doesnt , then again the issue is most likely that dodgy sky skin …… I have timeshift set for 2 hours max , option to save/do not save as recording when exiting.

By default , my setup will delete timeshift recordings after each program if it is left unattended

Post edited by andy1249 on

@andy1249
    Thanks, I'll give that a go.
    Only reason for the sky skin was to try and get the Mrs comfortable with the change.
    The timeshift certainly had options for what to do when exiting, but not to manage the size.

Is that Simple 1080 skin as using that on all boxes?

I have never setup or used timeshift.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

Check it tuned to the correct frequency for your location. This drove me nuts for a while. I even went as far as getting an external tuner. I had it aerial pointing in the right location but the wrong frequency. It tuned itself to a transmitter further away.

Yes , " Simple Ten Eighty " as its listed under Menu/Setup/User Interface/Skin Selection

Back at the beginning I had the Blue Skin or whatever it was called , basically it was a clone of the SkyHD box interface , including all the icons , which of course did not do the same things as it does on the Sky box.

It was regularly broken , either by someone in the house trying to enter or use the hidden " Sky" Menus or by timeshifting having a glitch and filling up the hard drive , which it is never supposed to do.

Did a complete re-set of the box with openvix default skin and no problems since.

Its really simple to use , and openvix make it easier by every update. You dont even need a thumb drive anymore to update or flash , it does it over the internet in less than 5 minutes.

Recordings are easy to get too , and once you set up your favourites and ABM you always boot to the favourites menu and if a channel moves/changes its always there somewhere for you to drop back into favourites.

I didn't see any options for limiting the timeshift size/duration with the default skin either….?
    In general though the 1080 skin is nicer though.

Still, some of the other "issues" I mention with the UI are still present.

• Advertisement

I just checked this and you are spot on!

Not knowing what the frequency should be, I compared what the TV was using and found the STB was on ch42 and the TV was using ch47. Signal strength was 50-ish vs 77-ish.

Now to correct this, I am assuming I just update the transponder somehow and probably re-do the bouquet?

EDIT:

I think I updated the transpoder. In the bouquet editor I have an extra Terrestrial provider with (new) next to it the other has (services). I'm sure there was only 1 before…

in the (services) it looks like everything is doubled up?? there is 2 of everything.
    In the (new) one, it looks like it has the updated frequency.

What is the relationship between (new) and (services)

Post edited by ArrBee on

Sounds like your not using the correct source and have 2 listings and doubled up.

I would ask is what area are you in and using what transmitter for Saorview.

I'm in north Offaly

and I am now using the longford transmitter (Well I think I am.) I just updated it from "all Ireland" to Longford.
    I think I probably need to do a remove and rescan or something….

edit:

did a tidy up and I think it's all good now.
    Possibly the new transponder channels were being added to the old instead of replacing…

Still think the UI and button actions could do with some work, but I will live with that for now.

Post edited by ArrBee on

Cairn Hill ?

Arrbee can you say the image and skin you are now using and what features you really need? are you coming from sky?

@swoofer
    Yes, I am coming from sky but I am personally not "stuck on Sky" interface. All my comments come from a general UX/UI perspective rather than a "it's not like Sky" one.

Feature wise I think this somes it up:
    1. navigate directly to top level menus from any sub menu
    -there are a bunch of "top level menues" that you should be able to jump straight to at the push of a button - no matter how deepinto sub menus you are.
    eg. file list; tv; menu; epg

2. consistancy around the back/exit/red button
    -back doesn't work as a back button, and exit mostly works as a back button but sometimes as an exit. red acts as a back sometimes until it doesn't. :P
    -I appreciate, I can probably redefine what the buttons do in various situations, but a well working predefined config would be nice.

3. ability to power off(standby) from any menu.
    -some menus will not let you go into standby.

4. stacking of recorded programs
    -where all recordings are nested under the parent program name.

5. double terrestrial tuner
    -I know this is a HW limitation, but it might have been enough of a reason for me to go with a VU+ (I think they have a twin tunner plug in card?)

I just had something weird happen to the box as I went to collect some of the below info…
    -When coming out of standby it didn't show any channel like normal, it was on a openvix splashscreen. No epg, or channel etc.
    I'm guessing that it was "outside" of a bouquet as I just jumped back in to one and all was ok again (including surviving restarts). It's little things like that were it behaves inconsistantly that will throw one person in the house….

Here are the image details….
    Skin: Simple1080
    SystemOE: OE-Alliance 5.3
    Firmwareversion: OpenViX 6.4.011 (2024-01-08)
    KernelDrivers: 4.10.12 / 20191123

Openvix , and most other flavours of Enigma2 , have context sensitive menus , buttons do different things in different menus.

Something that just has to be gotten used too.

Anyway , point 4 , its very simple to gather recordings together ….. go into recordings , now press menu / settings ….. its in here that you can sort recordings , ( Enable Automatic Collections to "on" saves to folders ) and following on from earlier , set space for recordings , and most importantly , empty network trash …..etc. So if you are recording to a nas for example , you must set this up or timeshift will fill it , its off by default.

Openvix has a manual , one of the reasons I prefer it over the others , most everyday issues are covered in it.

https://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/VIX%20Manual%20Vs%201.1.pdf

Post edited by andy1249 on

Ardee I read your posts you have to stop… and pause. The sky box came locked so you learnt how to use it. The zgemma H7 is configurable but only if you know what you are doing. With openvix the image is already configured and its easy peasy but you have to learn. You are a trite unlucky in that image 6.4.011 is ….p in that the bit you ask Q 4 has been omitted. See pic above for Ver 6.5 You cant go back and ask for it to be re-installed because its ver 6.5 and they wont entertain you. So you have to update to ver 6.5 but you must do this first.

1. Make sure epg is saved to HDD.
    2. Have the network working and a good connection speed.

You can update online.

As for slyk skin you can have it working but it takes a lot of effort and know how. It works fine.

Here is a few pics with Slyk1080 r-19. First one is top picks changes automatically overnight or can be done manually.

second and 3rd self explanatory.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Is this box super difficult to set up for someone with average knowledge?

Im trying to ditch Sky Q too, but I need record ability and ideally through a few rooms, is that possible with these boxes? One central hard drive networked to multiple screens?

I imagine id need a separate box for each screen for live tv watching though?

Where is the best place to buy them?

Advertisement