Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathwood Furniture - Appalling Business Methods

Options
  • 29-05-2024 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I ordered a garden furniture cube set and was delighted that the delivery was earlier than anticipated. Until it came that is. The box containing the furniture was too big to go through my front door! The delivery person was 'not allowed' to remove the furniture from the box and take it through the house. When I suggested that I remove it from the box would he help me take it through and the response again was 'not allowed'! I had no alternative but to get him to take the furniture back with him and request a refund. It's good to know that a company in the current environment can allow this to happen! Profits for Rathwood must be extremely good. What has happened to 'Customer Service'? I have ordered plenty of furniture from other companies who do their utmost to position furniture in my house and take away any packaging.

Now the refund. I sent an email the same day the item was returned requesting a refund. Response should have been within 48-72 hours. After the 72 hours no response so I telephoned. 20 minutes waiting and then getting someone on the other end on a very bad line who made no attempt to apologise. He said he would send a link to the customer portal so I could check where the refund was at - I had already explained to him the portal didn't work and again the email contained a link that didn't work. How long am I going to have to wait for this refund! Rathwood have had my money for over a month now and are saying they need to check they have received back the furniture (sent back same day as delivery - 4 working days ago) this takes 1-2 days apparently (according to the agent on the phone) and then 5-10 working days for it to hit my account! I need to order garden furniture from somewhere else and would like to have it before Summer is over!

Appalling way to run a business - shame on you Rathwood!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Can you get on to the bank to do a charge back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

From their website;

Step 2 – Check the Location and the Path to the Location

Using the online measurements, check will the selected product fit in your desired location? Will you have to move any existing items etc. Will the boxed item fit through side gates etc?

Ensure the location is accessible for our delivery drivers on the day of delivery. It is solely the responsibility of the customer to transport the goods over or through any obstacles.

Please note delivery drivers cannot enter homes unless it is for interior furniture deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Please note delivery drivers cannot enter homes unless it is for interior furniture deliveries.

Jesus, talk about a "Computer says No" policy 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

sounds fair enough tbh and not terribly unusual it think it's woodies or b&q only do kerbside deliveries as well.….the delay in getting the refund is annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bfclancy2

why couldn't you bring the furniture in yourself, seems an issue of your own making

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I read it as someone had a Karen moment and it backfired badly, fully expect Rathwood to deduct expenses involved in fulfilling their end of the contract.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Exactly the same when you buy any furniture. Your new couch won't fit through your doors? That's your problem, you're told to check access yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id imagine the OPs refund (when it arrives) is going to come minus a €50 or €100 re-stocking fee for sending an item back when it didnt have defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The company's policy on deliveries, which is quite normal, or the OP's unrealistic expectation that a delivery man will unpack and carry the furniture through the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

In the OPs (partial at least!) defence, they probably measured up the furniture against the door frames based on the websites furniture dimensions - this would not factor in the packaging being considerably bigger. I'd say it could catch you out if you lived in a terrace.

Still, you should always have a person with you when receiving heavy furniture so you can move it in yourself. Should have been able to take everything out of the packaging and move it through your house with a friend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP's report on how they got on, or at least to just respond to some points here, would be nice. they've not posted again in the six days since they started the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP having dealt with Rathwood for a delivery recently, I have to say I found them great & I think the issue here partly rests with you. It's made very clear that there are 2 options for delivery. 1 is €19 & states that it is curb side only & even recommends that you have 2 people to lift it as they will be big/heavy. The 2nd option is €79 and does include delivery to the location of your choice & a timed delivery window. Their insurance on the first option will not cover them if they come into your house & have an accident themselves, damage the delivery or damage anything else so it's not worth the risk. If you wanted it put in a specific location, you should have paid for the more expensive delivery. Alternative was you could have accepted it & gotten someone else to help you move it where you wanted.

As for the refund, it says on their website it can take 7-10 working days to inspect returned items to ensure that they're ok & then a further potential 10 working days to process the refund. So realistically based on the date you posted (& potential impact from the May bank holiday which would have been around the delivery time) they may still be within that window. It's working days & just days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Very much off your own making OP.

Read terms and conditions before ordering especially oversized items. You went with cheaper option where they use a courier. The couriers have no responsibility besides getting it to your door. If you couldn't manage getting it in yourself or get someone to help, you should have paid for Rathwoods delivery service.

As for delay getting refund it's going to take a couple days for courier to return it to Rathwood and they then need time to inspect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I find rathwood good overall - garden stuff delivered if large will likely not even fit through a side passage of a house without first disassembling the packaging and bringing the individual chairs and tables around back separately - a bit of cop on is probably required here as to what expect or not expect the company to do and if in any doubt to ask in advance

Advertisement