Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear Energy for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Turlough hill is an excellent idea and we need more of them. Sometimes (not very often admittedly) the wind doesn't blow so we do need battery and other storage to compliment the renewables, which is effectively what Turlough hill is.

Interesting thought, maybe some chemical scientists can answer. Can we use something more suitable than water as the liquid turning turbines in a Turlough Hill style scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The IDA had a word last month and complained that Eamon Ryan was damaging Ireland`s credibility among international companies over his stance on data centres connecting to the the gas grid to power their operations if they have to come off the strained electricity grid.

They also warned last year that they were having increased difficulty attracting FDI here due to uncertainties over our electricity generation plans.

Prior to 2021 Finland was generating 27% of its electricity from nuclear. With the addition of OL3 it is now generating 41% and has for the first time become self sufficient in electricity.

Finland has the same population as Ireland but per capita uses around 2.5 times the electricity we do, so that i4% represents a third of our present reguirements. Even being years late and over budget the cost was €11 Billion. To put that in context €33 Billion for our present requirements compared to anything from €150 Billion upwards on a current proposed offshore wind/hydrogen plan where even Eamon Ryan now admits 25% of those proposed wind turbines can not be constructed for at least the next 20 years if ever, and a hydrogen plan that nobody has a clue as to cost or even if it would work to scale.

Finnish greens, unlike their counterparts in Germany who shut down 14% of the electricity they were recieving from nuclear carbon free to spend €30 Billion on LNG gas fired plants and terminals, have no problem with nuclear and look on it as a sustainable carbon neutral energy source. They are part of the growing green movement of Greens for Science and Technology based on science and technology achieving climate neutral emissions on energy generation.

A quick google suggests there are 440 nuclear reactors in operation globally. Since 1961 there have been 4 serious nuclear power plant accidents. SL-1 in 1961, Three Mile Island (1979) Chernobyl (1986) and Fukushima (2011)

There's a list the length of my arm of gas, coal and oil related accidents in that same time. The historical stats back up that it is quite safe and environmentally friendly.

But if our offshore wind plan goes ahead as planned we will have no need for nuclear

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are failing to appreciate the scale of the problem, which is far greater than any pumped storage can even begin to address. This is from an ESB video describing Irelands future energy requirements to reach it's 2050 and 2030 CO2 obligations:

The little black dot is Turlough hill vs the sheer scale of energy storage required by 2050 if we pursue the insanity of renewables only.

Ireland does not have suitable geography for pumped storage, and there are few things more environmentally destructive and awful as building dams and flooding eco-systems and habitat - in perpetuity.

The times the wind isn't blowing nearly enough for considerable periods, which frequently is several weeks without a break, is far more than you think.

Onshore wind is hopelessly inadequate 76% of the time while offshore wind is inadequate 53% of the time. Your 'not very often' is completely at odds with reality.

Not only are they inadequate, they are at least four times more expensive than nuclear. I say 'at least' because it is literally impossible to calculate exactly how much it would cost Ireland to have so much storage and wind/solar capacity it would have a net-zero electricity grid. France has a net-zero grid right now when other countries are tearing their hair out, or just lying to themselves in the case of Ireland, trying to work out how to achieve the same result using renewables.

The only country that has achieved a net zero grid is France, because they use nuclear, no country has managed to achieve a net-zero grid using renewables and storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Whatever about this being a viable option for our country. It's scary to imagine what a mess the government would make of such a project given the sh1tshow that is the national children's hospital. It doesn't bear thinking about.

There's a lot being said there

The little black dot is Turlough hill vs the sheer scale of energy storage required by 2050 if we pursue the insanity of renewables only.

So you are agreed we would need more of them

Ireland does not have suitable geography for pumped storage, and there are few things more environmentally destructive and awful as building dams and flooding eco-systems and habitat - in perpetuity.

We have mountain ranges in Donegal, Kerry, Waterford, Dublin etc Is that not considered "suitable geography?" Most of those lands are remote so not sure what eco-systems or habitats you mean

they are at least four times more expensive than nuclear. I say 'at least' because it is literally impossible to calculate exactly how much it would cost

You realise that you are contradicting yourself here?

The only country that has achieved a net zero grid is France, because they use nuclear, no country has managed to achieve a net-zero grid using renewables and storage.

Forgetting about Iceland are we?

We currently have about 6.6GW of installed power plants, that demand is likely to increase substantially with population growth and the move to electric vehicles. The 3GW announced last May covers nearly half of what we now require and I'd imagine 1/3rd of what we need when they come online just from one project. Introducing nuclear now is simply not needed in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Creating reservoirs and dams is awful for the environment - completely wipes out entire areas of natural habitats.

Also there are not nearly as many suitable sites as you think. And the capacity of hydro storage is not great for the significant investment and ecological damage it requires.

The problem with the 37GW offshore wind/hydrogen plan for generation being carbon neutral here by 2050, (other than nobody knowing the cost, or if they do then they are keeping very quite fearing it would scare the horses), is that it is a fantasy exercise with no basis in reality.

A quarter of the wind turbines for this proposed plan were supposed to be on floating platforms. Eamon Ryan just recently admitted that it was not technically possible to do so, and would not be within the next 20 years. In other word ever. Even if it was that 37GW proposal would not generate the projected needs from Eirgrid for 2050, let alone anyone knowing how much the hydrogen part of the proposal would cost, or even if it would work to the scale required.

Continuing with this proposal is just throwing good money after bad and will leave us by 2050 with higher CO2 emissions from generation than we have now, and even more dependant on gas with Corrib depleated long before that.

That 3GW from the ORESS auction is part of that 37GW wind/hydrogen proposal and like the 37GW it refers to the installed nameplate capacity. The capacity factor for offshore wind fixed turbines is at best 42%. That will only deliver 1.26 GW not 3 GW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

That's a very big "if" about offshore wind.

For example. Has taken Oriel windfarm developers almost 20 years to get to the point of just lodging a planning application with An Bord Pleanála (ABP), earlier this month. If successful, development and commissioning is many years away.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Agree.

Went to one of the Offshore Renewable Energy Development Plan public consultations year so ago. Some interest form local businesses hoping to make a buck.
    Whatever about the east coast, most of the rest fantasy.

Thay didn't a Scooby how these projects might be built, connected, never mind maintained in one of the harshest maritime environments in the world. The location of the fixed inshore proposed one in Connemara is not technically feasible. As for floaters think Ryan's wrong/misinformed, would be technical possible but the cost would be mind-blowing.
    As the CO2/Net Zero scam seems to be developing some very big cracks, UK, Norway, Netherlands and others are ramping up their petroleum development.
    Ireland has potential to do the same, lots of very high quality gas on the west (and east) coast and high quality oil off the north west.
    The Corrib infrastructure already in place was not constructed for just the five wells there. There's good potential for more development out there with tie-back to existing subsea infrastructure

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Pumped storage is an energy minus operation. Due to gravity it takes more energy to pump water up a hill than it generates when flowing back down. Fine if you have excess energy to do so aoff peak, but what energy will we have off peak when all these EVs are using it to charge, heat pumps running continuously plus everything else we are now being told to use off peak electricity to operate ?

It is basically a one off quick shot to fill a gap in supply, but with our proposed plan based on nothing much more than wind, (along with being horrendously expensive and the destruction of habitats), when we have long periods of little or no wind as we have seen a number of times now when our demand is high, after that one off shot it would be redundant as there would be nothing to pump that water back up the hill.

For me Eamon Ryan and his supporters have an ideology that is nothing much more than a blind faith that they know best that ignores both the financial cost, the engineering realities and the end results of that ideology.

They have spent years fighting against LNG while being told by Eirgrid and the CRU that it was needed for our energy security with Corrib being depleted and Ryan only accepted the reality when a report he himself commissioned, even though he tried to tie their hand on, also pointed out what Eirgrid and the CRU had spent years telling him. Has he done anything about it though, not a damn thing. There is a ot of noise now about the over-spend on the Childrens Hospital, et we have this offshore wind plan that nobody can give a price for. I find it impossible to believe that the relevant Minister and the driver behind this proposal does know the cost, or even more likely he has chosen not to because even he knows it is financially unviable.

Occassionaly though with Eamon Ryan he gets a rush of blood to the head when his ideology is questioned. Lisa Chambers criticised him over the lack of progress for wind turbines off the West coast, Ryan jumped straight in and said that the technology was not there to build floating turbines and would not be foe 20 years or more. I would find it one hell of a coincidence that he just found out then that a proposed plan that required 25% of it`s turbines to be of the floating variety off the West and South coast were not even possible.

As to whether he is wrong or misinformed, the Hywind floating wind farm in Scotland would tend to show otherwise. The turbines there that were supposed to operate for 25 years are being towed en mass this Summer to Norway because the damage they have sustained in less than 6 years is so extensive it is too dangerous to attempt doing "the heavy maintance" required on site.

Of the three floaters, the turbines of the first have been torn to shreds and the entire array is having to be towed back to Norway from Scotland for what they euphamistically call 'heavy maintainance', which I'll call a complete rebuild, this is after just 7 years since being commissioned. I'm referring to Hywind Scotland.

The next commercial FOSW farm after that was at Kincardine, Scotland. It took just 2 years for one the handful of turbines in that array to fail and have to be towed back to the Netherlands for maintainance.

I have every confidence that the third commercial FOSW farm, Hywind Tampen in Norway, will also have it's turbines shredded by the elements in a small fraction of the 30 years fixed OSW farms are supposedly expected to last with 26-30% of their initial capital having to be spent on operations and maintainance.

Hywind Tampen, the one that was just commissioned, was the cheapest to build at $8.49b per GW. The Korean APR-1400s built for the UAE cost $4.36b per GW. They are designed to last 60 years. So with 10 years for an FOSW farm looking like a very optimistic estimate and the capacity factor being 54% vs an APR-1400s 96%, let's work out how much Hywind Tampen will cost per GW over 60 years… 8.49 times the capacity factor adjustment of 1.46, gives $12.4b per GW, times 6 for the 10 year longevity, being kind, gives you $74.4b per GW, estimating O&M at 40%, so multiply by 1.4 gives you $104.12b per GW vs $4.53 b for an APR-1400 reactor, adjusting for it's capacity factor.

This is for the cheapest FOSW farm yet built - 23 times more expensive than nuclear.

I know I havent included the O&M and fuel costs for the nuclear option as I haven't found them but they are mentioned as not being very significant relevant to the original capital cost, so the actual difference will be slightly less than 23 times, but whatever it is it's still not going to make much of a difference.

FOSW farms are a car wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kohaiu

Can't we eventually build pumped storage underground? All you need is a difference in elevation between two pools of water, there's enough vertical space for that underground.

10Twh of storage sounds extremely inflated. What possible reason could there be to store, what, an entire year of electricity demand? There's absolutely no reason to store that much ever, especially when Celtic Interconnector would just let us buy electricity from the continent in case there's somehow no wind nor sun over the island. That, and hydrogen is pretty much discredited as a long-term storage option at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Good luck digging holes that big, let alone building the tanks.

Ireland's annual electricity consumption is about 30TWh so it works out more like 4 months' worth. However Ireland also uses 6-7 megatons of oil annualy and longer-term all that will have to be electrified.

The plan for net zero is not just for the grid, but includes transport, heating and industry, achieved by electrification of everything, or hydrogen as a fuel where that isn't possible.

Transport energy requirements are greater than the current grid's output and heating is also massive, so we are not talking about today's grid, but the one where almost everyone is trying to charge their EV at night, and heat their homes with a heat pump. The generation capacity required using renewables is 45GW

It's not my plan and I didn't do the calculations for the required levels of storage, that was the ESB, argue with them.

It amuses me that even the ESB can't help themselves and rather dejecectedly point out they don't have the nuclear option. The crazy hydrogen idea is precisely because intermittent renewables are useless without massive amounts of storage if you want to satisfy the high and constant demands of a grid. Nuclear does not require the massive hydrogen storage the ESB is touting out of desperation. I can't fathom why they don't just tell the government that what they want is impossible and to grow up and grow a pair..

The Celtic interconnector will cost as much as the national childrens hospital for a meagre 0.7 GW. When we are supposedly going to need generation capacity of 45 GW, the interconnector isn't going to do anything meaningful when the wind isn't blowing sufficiently or the sun is doing it's usual nothing.

I'm glad you think hydrogen is not a viable option, I do too, which is partly why I am in favour of nuclear energy, as it's the only way to achive net zero carbon emissions as there is no feasible storage mechanism that can enable renewables to supply base-load.

@cnocbui

I'm glad you think hydrogen is not a viable option, I do too, which is
    partly why I am in favour of nuclear energy, as it's the only way to
    achive net zero carbon emissions as there is no feasible storage
    mechanism that can enable renewables to supply base-load.

I do wonder how the prospects of a practical technology that could store a week or two of country-wide energy use compare to fusion reactors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

The OL3 reactor hasn't been particularly reliable since it went online 14 years late - for example, it's currently down due to a turbine fault.

While it's a new type of reactor, it is at least part of an existing facility with two older reactors already present.

Realistically, it's hard to see Ireland building anything similar with no existing infrastructure - it would probably take decades for a new Irish nuclear power plant to start producing electricity. I'm not sure if the political will is there, and then any project can always be countered with "SMRs are coming soon" (which I feel might be similar to the 90's style hopes of "fusion reactors are comng soon").

I don't have any particular opposition to the idea of nuclear energy in Ireland, it's just difficult to see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

OL1 and OL3 offline now. We would multiple reactors over here and backup power generators just like the Finnish grid had to bring online when OL3 went offline.

Needing that backup generation can't really be used as a stick to beat renewables with.

So OL3 has a teething problem. How is that terrible when here, solar panels don't work 89% of the time and wind turbines don't work 72% of the time? This was our reliable wind turbines just 32 or so hours ago:

The two APR-1400's built and commissioned at the Shin-Hanul NPP in S Korea have a current capacity factor of 100.1%, because in the 2 years since, they have not stopped producing energy. Nuclear energy is the most reliable commercial source of power there is

Unit 2 of the Heysham II nuclear power plant on the north
    west coast of England yesterday broke the world record for the
    continuous operation of a commercial nuclear power reactor. The reactor
    is due to be taken offline next month for maintenance.

As of 1 August, the Advanced Gas-cooled Reactor (AGR) achieved 895 days of
    continuous operation, having operated non-stop since 18 February 2014.
    The reactor - also referred to as Heysham 2 unit 8 - is scheduled to
    continue operating until 16 September, when it will be taken offline for
    a planned maintenance and inspection outage. Assuming the unit carries
    on operating until that time, it would have run continuously for 941
    days.

Offshore wind farms require 26-30% of their total initial capital cost to be spent on operations and maintainance, and thats with them only having a 30 year life span.

It does not take decades to build APR-1400s, it takes 8 years with hold ups and snags. The UAE didn't have any NPP infrastructure or experience before having the Barakah NPP built. During the period their 4 reactors were being constructed, they established a nuclear engineering course at one of their universities and trained up the staff to run them and no doubt sent them to Korea for some hands-on experience as well.

Poland has no nuclear power reactors or infrastructure, they are planning to build 6 soon. No country has a NPP until they go and build the first one.

A major plank in our renewables plan is to build multiple offshore wind farms. We neither have the skills or infrastructure to do so. The ships that install the turbines and service them cost €700 million a pop. We need to get at least one built, and that will take years. None of our ports can handle the job and facillities at existing ones will have to be expanded and upgraded before they can - more tens of millions. Even Scotland, with it's extensive oil platform servicing experience and infrastructure, had to build anew and expand ports to build and service OSW farms.

The lack of something that can be acquired is not a valid reason for not acquiring it; it's no more valid a negative in terms of nuclear power plants than for offshore wind. People keep mentioning fusion hoping there will be a breakthrough soon. Would our lack of experince and infrastructure suddenly be trotted out as a reason why we couldn't build and operate fusion reactors here if they suddenly became a reality?

Even if they achived a sustained fusion reaction tomorrow, it would be 30-50 years before a commercial plant could be built here. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about fusion. The main benefit was supposedly near limitless fuel with none of radioactive waste, safety and decomissioning drawbacks of fission, but except for the safety angle, these expectations are false. None of the reactors being tested just use hydrogen as a fuel source, they all use scarce isotopes.

Fusion reactors are not 'clean'. They would produce less high level nuclear waste, but a lot more low level waste. Most of it would have shorter half lives, but I don't think that would make much difference as I think fission waste can be easily and safely dealt with if they use synroc and salt layers.

If you are OK with fusion you should be equally ok with fission, which can be done right now.

Any syatem can be down at times due to a fault or for maintainance. We have seen how our own all eggs in the wind basket plan has dropped to providing little or nothing for prolonged periods when demand was high.

As a poster said earlier nobody had a NPP until they built their first. I don`t know why people keep coming up with this "it would take decades", it`s not as if we would be looking for a couple of Irish lads with shovels to build one. Even if it took 20 years you would still be ahead of the current 2050 offshore wind/hydrogen plan. The technology for a NPP has been there and working for decades, whereas the technology for 25% of the turbines required for the offshore wind/hydrogen plan according to Eamon Ryan has not been invented, and will not be for at least the next 20 years. So what does that say for that plan other than it leaves a major hole in a plan, for not just being carbon neutral by 2050, but not even able to provide our projected requirements for 2050 even after a spend that is so financially unviable even those that favor it hide under the bed when cots are mentioned.

Going underground is a very expensive. Overland rail costs compared undergroung rail have shown that. For hydro-electric generation the level of generation is determined by the head of water and the rate of flow. You would have little of either building underground.

While 10TWh of storage may sound a lot at present, you have to keep in mind that this is based on our projected requirement for 2050 which Eirdrid estimate as being 73-86 TWh. That 10 TWh would be 6 weeks storage rather than 6 months.

The Celtic interconnector will cost around €2 Billion and would supply 700MW. Our 2050 requirements according to Eirgrid will be around 14GW. Even by todays prices that would require a €40 Billion spend on top of a an unviable spend for this offshore wind/hydrogen proposal. You would still be left, even after all that, with an energy security problem as well as being at the end of a supply line looking for nuclear power when wind is providing next to nothing all over Europe as we have seen happen in the past. Easpecially during periods when demand is at its highest both here and in Europe.

I was remarking on how industrial energy storage was about as much of a moon-shot as fusion, but otherwise yes all good points. Touch and go whether I'll see production fusion reactors in my life-time.

A lot of the time Ireland looks at the UK experience with fission reactors, but the British AGR program was an utter botch-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Shoog

What program hasn't been an utter botch up.

Even the french EDF are facing bankruptcy in the face of looming decommisoning costs. It will inevitably result in plants been run well beyond their safe service life, and the tax payer been lumbered with an open ended bill with no financial benefit to them. It's a looming **** show of epic proportions and no one is buying into their ludicrously low costings.

….continuing on from the infrastructure thread:.

>snip<

€13 million for 8.5 MW, that's €1.53 billion per GW of capacity for solar. Finland commissioned the OL3 1.6 GW reactor that was a cost disaster, at €11 billion, in 2023. It was their national childrens hospital cost blow out at 3 times the original estimated price.

But work it out based on actual energy generated using a capacity factor of 92% (the capacity factor of the other two reactors at the same site) and… 100/92*11/1.6 = €7.47 billion per GW of capcity.

Do the same for cheap Irish solar and it's €13.9 billion per GW, and that's just a simple cost of energy produced and not even beginning to cost the storage element you would need to add to actually make it work. Oh, and then there's the 25-30 year life span of solar vs 60 years for OL3.

Even a massive cost overun disaster like OL3 is vastly cheaper in terms of energy actually produced, than Irish solar, and there are cheaper and faster to build nuclear options than OL3.

Post edited by cnocbui on

What has cost got to do with it if the world is about to end due to anthropogenic CO2?

France has a zero CO2 energy grid now - today - in 2023 even - and probably going back many years, we don't have a coherent plan to achieve the same by 2050, let alone a costing of it.

Criticising France on any measure is just asinine for anyone in Ireland based on our grid CO2 output now and for the next 26 years.

• Advertisement

I'll let someone who is warmer to nuclear than I am pull up examples.

The AGR program was a complete screw-up because each reactor was a bespoke project by a different consortium, which is not how to organise any sort of civil engineering.

Advertisement