Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Long term commitment and offering him what could be seen as a promotion. Secures the contract so if someone like Real come in they'll have to buy it out and the board obviously feel that this is more likely than long term failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s hard to see the situation where Emery’s contract becomes a negative asset anyway. He’s a long long way off being 5 bad games off the sack (as is the case for many managers in modern football).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Interesting to see that our owners are currently looking into buying Vasco Da Gama. Them being currently linked to signing Coutinho and being a pipeline into the brazilian market are obviously notable too.

Crysencio Summerville (Leeds and the championship POTS I believe) also being linked again. He wants out at Leeds and them not getting promoted is being reported as having big financial implications and them having to sell a few players. Might not let him go as cheaply as that might imply though as it seems plenty of clubs are linked including Us, Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Villa have extended the sleeve sponsorship deal, probably including an increase given it will now be on display in the CL but I see no mention of that.

We continue to be linked to Soler from PSG. Perhaps Barkley is seen as a Dendoncker replacement while Soler might take the place of Zaniolo as there are suggestions he could be leaving PSG on loan. What chance we have I don't know but our name keeps popping up with regards free transfer Adrian Rabiot. I'd say they are planning with not getting him in mind though.

UEFA's coefficient payments are based on a club’s past ten years of results in European competitions, which meant Newcastle United were given only £3.8m last season compared to Manchester City's £28m package. However Crystal Palace are putting forward a proposal that if voted for would benefit Villa this season and allow clubs to claim the difference in coefficient funding between themselves and the top club in Europe as allowable losses. If Premier League clubs agree to it, Villa would be given an extra £20m-£30m in allowable financial losses. 

Birmingham born 22y/o left back Archie Brown now plying his trade with Gent after also spending a year in Switzerland is also being linked now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just watched the Conference League final.

How in the hell did that team put so many goals past Villa?

It's already the off season - otherwise pundits would never spend this much time talking about Villa but still it's nice to not just get a quick mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The 2 games against Olympiacos were largely out of character for Villa, in relation to the season as a whole. They came at the exact point where we hit a wall due to the sheer number of games and injuries. I feel if we had played them even a month before that it would have been very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That Sleeve sponsor is apparently going from 2m a year to 8m a year. Added to the 20m a years deals from bothe Addidas and Betano Villa are definitally stepping up their sponsorship game as they look to counter the PSR concerns everyone is talking about. There is also a proposal being voted on soon to raise the allowable loses from 105m to 135m and work is underway to create almost 1,500 new premium seats in Villa park that the club can sell at higher prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Theres a motion on the table to allow clubs in the Champions League to extend the losses based on not having a high enough Coefficient and I think it was put forward by Bournemouth. Greedy 6 will never vote for that.

Was I the only one who thought Barkley was on a free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah i think he still has a year left on his contract, so not surprised that there is a small fee. I believe his wages were also quite low, so overall hopefully wont be an expensive one.

What do you think of him as a signing? From the bit that i had seen if him at luton (which wasnt much), he had seemed to have turned a corner. But i definitely realise how good he was for them. Some of the stats going around are impressive. Seems like a addition to the squad.

I do think his signing will divide opinion amongst villa fans based on his season with us! But ultimately if Unai thinks its a good idea then so I!

I think he did very well at Luton. Hated him at Villa but Unai knows better than me.

122215517#Comment_122215517t122215517#Comment_122215517

There was talk of him being free since Luton were relegated. Luton chairman kept laughing that one off though.

122215517#Comment_122215517t122215517#Comment_122215517

There was talk of him being free since Luton were relegated. Luton chairman kept laughing that one off though.

Fairbit of rumour of Luiz to Juventus and Weston McKennie coming back in a swap. I'd be wanting 25-30 million as well personally.

And then some. That reads like an abysmal deal frankly. Luis must be worth 75 to 80 in this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

McKennie was dreadful at Leeds. Wouldn’t have him in a fit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's a dud deal for us.

Yeah rumours are coming from a italian source. The figures quoted are absolute rubbish. Saying Dougie is valued at 60m. I dont think anyone will come in with 100m for him, but we would be looking to get at least 80m (I would think). And the article saying McKennie is worth 30m, which is laughable given his time at Leeds, and the fact that he only has 1 year left.

I think most likely this is being pushed from the italian side in an attempt to move McKennie. I have seem some stuff about how broke Juve are. Seems its unlikely they could afford what we value Dougie at. Or to give us McKennie plus the what we see as the difference.

Luiz and Duran being linked all over the place. I wouldnt like to lose either but at least it seems like there will be bidding wars for both.

Juve, Liverpool and Arsenal supposed to be looking at Luiz. Duran has Chelsea, a team in Spain and Saudis looking at him.

Ramsey also being linked away which I reckon is a bad move. He was apparently 50 million to Newcastle last season, no way anyone drops anything near that after all the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Ollie and Konsa off to the euros. Delighted to see them get the recognition but was really hoping they’d get the summer off. They’ve played a lot of football this season.

Don’t think they’ll play much this summer, but could have done with a full break for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Our proposal to increase allowable losses was knocked back by the other PL clubs earlier today. Sky also stating that we are among a number of clubs that are struggling to meet PSR and might have to sell someone before the end of June.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13145428/chelsea-newcastle-aston-villa-everton-nottm-forest-and-leicester-must-all-sell-players-by-june-30-to-avoid-psr-breaches

I find it hard to believe that we'd be buying a right back for £9m in January to leave him with his current club if we were sailing that close to the wind. Also buying Rogers was a luxury given that nobody expected him to become a regular so soon.

Thought that had some popular support. It was Crystal Palace proposal if not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Given the financial restrictions I don’t think we need to do a lot it’s more important to get the injured players back fit. Unfortunately I think Mings, Kamara and Buendia will take a bit of time to get back to match fitness and might not reach the same level they were at.

If we were looking at quality players Ideally I’d like to see Gallagher or Smith Rowe come in as Emery does have the knack of improving those type of players though right back should be a priority. Looking forward to seeing more of Morgan next season hopefully Bailey continues his good form, Tielemans continues to improve and Diaby after his first PL season kicks on.

When's the new Jersey out

• Advertisement

I havent seen a date mentioned yet, but looking forward to seeing it!

Fabrizio Romano reporting that Luiz to Juve is almost completed, in exchange for McKennie, Iling Jr., and 20million cash.

I dont think anyone wants Luiz to go, but sounds like we have to some money from somewhere. I dont know much about Iling Jr, but doesnt sound like he has played much for Juve. McKennie was terrible at Leeds, but has apparently been good at Juve. On paper I'm not excited at all by this swap, but hopefully Unai and Monchi are working their magic.

I really don't like it / want it but it is starting to feel like there is far too much smoke for there to be no fire with regards Douglas Luiz.

Heavily linked to Juve and the talk is money plus Weston McKennie (with Samuel Iling Jr a possibility too).

McKennie would probably be a rotation / squad option instead of a guaranteed starter but if nobody else gets sold before the June 30th deadline maybe this could be happening. As great as Luiz is and has been for us he may be one of the more replaceable stars in the long term in some ways as he has often been asked to play deeper than actually suits him while the likes of Tielemans and McGinn or Barkley can perhaps play in the role he should be in when he isn't covering the likes of Kamara being absent.

The other one that keeps doing the rounds atm is Matty Cash to AC Milan and Denzel Dumfries (who only has a year left on hiss contract) to Villa from Inter for around the same money.

Should also be interesting to see if anything happens with Kelechi Iheanacho as he was linked with a free transfer a lot during the year and he is now officially gone from Leicester. Don't think we will be top of the queue though unless someone comes in and bends our arm for Duran. His international teammate Ndidi is also available on a free as of the end of this month and would not be the worst Luiz replacement if someone other than Juvve came in with a cash only offer.

Sounds like there’s gonna be a fair bit of change either way

Now seeing a lot of chat about Duran close to going to Chelsea for 50m. I would love if we got another year out of him, but 50m is a lot of money (if true), so hard to turn that down. And clearly he has had his head turned.

I'd take Iheanacho, means he can't score against us.

one reason for this potential player swap business may be that it is being reported Manchester City retain a 20 per cent sell-on fee of any future transfer concerning Douglas Luiz away from Aston Villa.

so instead of giving City 10m+ of a 50m+ fee they might get 4m or so from us.

I’d still be hoping that after June 30th villa could start investing again but if we could really get 40-50m for Duran it’d be hard to turn that down. I know when I mentioned him as a sale able asset the club might might take advantage of, people were against it (and it wasn’t something I wanted) but if he is going to agitate for a move then using him to avoid PSR (which might not even be an issue next year) and then immediately signing Iheanacho and maybe someone like Jonathan David in July would give us plenty of options / allows Watkins be not run into the ground as well as of course being financially prudent.

Hopefully we could still go after the likes of (previously linked) Hermoso & Dumfries in July too especially if we can get Coutinho among others off the wage bill.

They would probably need to sell their Dutch lb to Dortmund and maybe Gallagher to Spurs first if they were to buy from us before the PSR deadline.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Can't see it happen, Chelsea need to sell like us.

I dont know that they do. They sold their hotel to themselves and I think they got themselves out of a hole that way.

Plus, buying a player isnt really a huge issue, as its spread out over the length of the contract.

• Advertisement

So looks like we might be offloading Luiz, Duran and Cash if things all fall into place. Moreno reported to be looking for a move back to Spain also. You'd have to wonder how much is related to PSR. I'd hate to think where we'd be without Emery getting us Europe two years in a row. I thought the champions league was going to help us and not get us deeper in trouble. I know that revenue doesn't kick in yet but we had a run to a European semi final this year and a big jump in prize money from finishing 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Losing Luiz hurts as much as losing Grealish - feels so integral to the clubs growth in recent seasons

It feels the same, but in reality it's not. When we lost Grealish, he was the man in a 1 man team. Luiz has been really good, and really important, but we are long way from being a 1 man team. And much and all as we all like him, it is the type of position that is replaceable. Martinez or Watkins would be bigger losses (in that they would be harder to replace).

I think that the rumoured Duran and Cash sales are more opportunistic sales on the part of the club. If Chelsea come along and offer 50m for Duran, we are never going to say no. That's triple what we paid for him. The Athletic have an article about the Cash situation out today, and it sounds way less certain. Basically saying that when Milan are looking to buy someone, they will sniff around a bunch of players in that position. In this case, Cash seems be just one players of a bunch they are considering. It also sounds like we don't really want to sell, so we have set a price of 30m. Win win if they do want to pay that.

I don't think the CL is getting us into trouble. But we do have a short term issue we need to solve.

Oh I know, it's just that since Grealish left, Dougie (along with Emi and Bailey) hs become a real character in the squad - Watkins is brilliant but just a bit boring, polished personality wise.

If it wasn't for the sheer trust I have in Emery, I'd be worried about what we appear to be shipping put. Imagine having to meet the PSR obligations with Gerrard still here

Weird noises coming out of the club at present. Hard to imagine that CL qualification would have been possible without the PSR rules, but now they’re the worst thing in the world (I also think they could be done a little bit better, but im not sure those changes would help us either)

Coutinho gone - something at least of the wages bill, but probably cost us as a pay off rather than any sort on incoming transfer fee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Crazy stuff I’d value him at about 20 mil maybe 25 tops I’d say Ramsey is about 35 mill and Duran is nowhere near his level Ollie was 28 mill. Lots of internet noise that Unai doesn’t want him. I suppose Duran’s value is what people are prepared to pay and after all we did get 20 mill for Carney C.

looking more and more like the Duran deal might go through

significant profit for someone who barely started and even though I’d like him to stay and he clearly has big potential he is a player who could be replaced after the June 30th deadline.

• Advertisement

I think Duran could be a serious player, but if the word on the street about his attitude is correct, ship him out.

Advertisement