Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Augme

I doubt any commented "where would they return" when you mentioned higher fines for airplanes. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

People have a "problem" with "foreigners" who are arriving here illegally by posing as something else to gain entry

People have a "problem" with money and resources being allocated in such huge amounts that it's affecting the resources available to address our own existing domestic needs.

People have a "problem" with the numbers of "asylum seekers" (whose legitimacy is questionable) being so large that we have tent cities springing up and small towns and communities being changed overnight by large groups being essentially dumped there for the locals to deal with.

People have a "problem" with the impact this will all have on our society and culture in the long term because of the outcomes seen in places like the UK. No thought or measures are evident in the current "strategies" from Government which only increases this concern.

People have a "problem" with being called racists, xenophobic, and other such nonsense for expressing concerns and asking questions (particularly, what is the end goal/where does it end?) - this in a country which gives 2 billion annually in foreign aid and risks the lives of our citizens in peacekeeping operations abroad.

People have a "problem" with vested interests and NGOs making a fortune in taxpayer monies while deliberately ignoring the effects these measures are having.

People have a "problem" with politicians and parties who have not only allowed/caused this situation but actively encouraged it, now making 180 degree turnarounds on the issue only because their seats are under threat in the upcoming elections.

There's the "problems" for you - have you any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Augme

Again have a read of the last few pages. People have a problem with Muslims. People have a problem with too foreigners at their favourite picnic spot. People have a problem with too many curry houses. People have a problem with too many non white people.

If the people who did have an issue with only people here illegally they'd have no issue with calling out to racist behaviour, but the fact they don't or even pretend it doesn't exist really doesn't help their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

My comment from yesterday around @4:23pm was removed as quote a warning - bragging about blocking users? My comment was very level headed and broke down some of the intertwining class issues with migration/health/crime.

Replied back to this mod, they haven't replied back and wasn't even giving the chance to edit my comment too. Just deleted it!

I never bragged about anything, mentioned I've blocked some posters here because of the name labeling and spam type from certain posters without mentioning their username/profile name.
    Honest to god these same posters that spam the whole of current affairs, especially immigration threads.
    They're untouchable with the derailing threads bringing in trump , corporation tax, asking for many links that's available with the basic google search etc… and consistent name labelling/calling.

That's pretty low form from the mods here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Try reading the last few pages. Plenty of examples

Against my better judgement here, but…

There is nothing racist about expressing concerns or asking questions about the effects that allowing a culture and religion which is so at odds with our own tolerant, Western culture might have on our own country and society.

This is not xenophobia, racism, or paranoia. The evidence of what can happen is evident in our nearest neighbour. Social division, parallel societies and exclusion, cultural problems and clashes, and massive demographic shifts without the systems in place to prepare for, address, and ultimately integrate all groups into a common society that respects the laws, traditions and culture of the native hosts.

You can't just bring in tens of thousands of people from countries and cultures that are hugely different to that where they arrive and think "it'll be grand". That's exactly the short-sighted naïve mindset that not only causes the issues thereafter but encourages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Should we take this as your not going to answer the question?

And that is not what posters were doing. You are well aware of that if you read the posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s clear some people do for sure - hard to say if that’s the majority though.

Not everyone(I’d hazard a guess the majority) who is anti illegal migration is anti legal migration.

I read them and rather than getting hung up on specific examples (which people like yourself are using to cry racism), I can see the intent behind the posts and the concerns being raised through them - namely, what effect is all this having on our society and culture now, and what will those effects be in the coming years and decades? What effect will a culture that is very much adherent to a religion that is at odds with Western norms have in a country that has largely stepped away from a previously culturally destructive religion itself in only the last few decades?

These are perfectly legitimate questions to ask, especially when the effects witnessed elsewhere are negative in many cases where control was lost/given up by the state and separate parallel communities that don't integrate with or respect the hosts took root. Again this isn't speculation or xenophobia - it's evidenced by the situation now in parts of the UK.

As I keep saying, Ireland isn't special or unique in that regard and there's no evidence to suggest we won't go down that same path if we make the same mistakes - mistakes which are already being made and effects that will be felt all the more because of our smaller population and smaller communities outside of the main cities. You can already see the shifts occurring in these places now.

What people ultimately want is a system that respects our native identity, culture and needs but still enables migration of those with skills we need and who will integrate positively into our society, enriching it but not replacing it. Simultaneously we need a system that supports legitimate refugees/asylum seekers in numbers that are sustainable and which contains controls to identify and refuse or expel those trying to game or circumvent the controls.

Is that really too much to ask?

'I can see the intent behind the posts '

Well, that's clearly not true.

What you want is to try and frame racist and xenophobic posts as being perfectly reasonable. All you're actually doing is watering down any of your real concerns, by not condemning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

The obvious question is, how many airlines have been fined the current €3k and how often, wouldn't be surprised if it's very few.

Well you said before you were born outside Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fair play to you @_Kaiser_ , a well reasoned synopsis (across your last couple of posts) of the reasons for the groundswell of opinion that matches yours. This, and not some far right loons, are arguably one of the largest political cohorts not represented by anyone currently.

I've worked in MNCs for over 20 years and as a result my friends (well, those made from work) are a mix of Irish, as well as swedish, french, indian, US and other. One of my best friends who I met through boards is also asian. I have no problem at all with immigration, far from it, we need immigration to function. However we don't need universally funded immigration where people come here often with no documentation and taxpayer money is unilaterally used to pay for these people and prioritizing these people over Irish residents of all races and creeds who paid the taxes that fund the payments for these immigrants that are abusing the asylum process. I have no problem at all, with people moving here for work, or people moving here that can fund themselves (EG retirees with proof of funds).

The problem with the current society is that anyone opposed even 1% to the current setup is labeled as far right. I'm as abhorrent of far right loons as I am left wing loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I thought you guys were ok with 180 degree turnarounds?

Or is that only for candidates with Gript.ie approval?

Haven't you heard? There's no place for Islamophobia in the anti-immigration movement. They are honorable and welcoming societies, according to this leading anti-immigration candidate, who now does personal interviews with Gript.ie.

Speaking of smaller communities it seems the people of Milltown Malbay are delighted with their new arrivals, everyone's integrating really well, and they all go swimming together regardless of who's 'vetted' or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"People have a problem with Muslims. People have a problem with too foreigners at their favourite picnic spot. People have a problem with too many curry houses. People have a problem with too many non white people."

I'd say it would be more accurate to say that people have a problem with the ultra-conservative cultural values of some Muslims which are at odds with modern Ireland. People have a problem with the attitudes of some Muslim men towards women, their own women and western women. People have a problem with the potential for religious extremists becoming a feature of Irish society. People have a problem with tens of thousands of Muslim men coming into the country and the possibility that a percentage of them may be religious extremists, terrorists or potential terrorists in the future, if they become disillusioned or angry with the west.

We've had Muslims and other races here for some years and most Irish people have never had a problem with that. But they came here gradually and with legitimate reason. The only really big influx in one go was when Poland joined the EU and Polish people who've chosen to stay in Ireland have settled in well and seem to be liked, so you can't say that the Irish are especially xenophobic.

If you look at Ballyhaunis which has long been Ireland's most culturally diverse town, back in 2016 the ethnic Irish population was 40%. In 2022 it's dropped even further to 37%.The town, in particular the schools there and the teachers, face massive challenges. How long before other Irish towns follow suit?

Irish people don't hate other races or nationalities. I think people would just like Ireland to feel as if it's still Ireland.

We can talk about how Boylan hates the homeless or Peter 'the bogus economic migrant' Casey instead if you like?

But remember, it's the mainstream parties treating people like idiots.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

I proposed higher fines a few hundred pages back, apparently it “wasn’t a possibility”

Yet here we are now, so there are concrete steps and policies that can be taken to solve issues, imagine that

• Registered Users Posts: 54,120 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

From 3,000 to 5,000 is just pittance and it should've been alot more hard hitting

On separate note why oh why are we not adding more countries to the safe list, just easy things like this would make a difference

Agree, a million euro per infraction would concentrate minds at airlines

an immigrant is a person living in a country other than that of his or her birth.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/content/explainer-who-immigrant

What issue does this solve?

When people can come across the border as they please, what does putting further admin responsibility on airlines do?

Is Dublin airport running too smoothly for your liking?

People who could be anyone travelling without documentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

All good but no need feel sorry .. Its your right as an Irish person to express how you see things.

The Danish video is nothing other than a report on Danish experience .. tho people can read what they want. Danes basically say .. look we tried this, it didnt work .. here are the Stats. I think thats fair enough. Had it been a roaring success, then we'd hear that story but it wasnt ..

There are many immigrants in Denmark and happy to stay .. but they are active, working, functioning members of Danish society (primarily).

Since immigration directly impacts me, refugee-paying Irishman, then i have a right to know facts about immigrants .. of what to expect ..

Meanwhile Danes have found a solution .. and it works. They preserve the well being of their people and are a rich, productive country ..

No need for Danes to be fighting on Boards.dn .. defending their right to Danishness .. Freedom to be Danish ! They have fought for and saved their country / identity. We need do the same ..

just that we have a government who have totally abandoned its people .. lights on .. nobody home .. such bog ignorance is astonishing. It hurts to think some of these will be voted back to power

Advertisement