Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

it doesn’t get that hot because the bits are too small

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭lisij

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fired up Joe yesterday for a bit of a party. Marinated chicken skewers were amazing, bought in Cribbens butchers in Tesco Extra Naas.

had some good bbq this weekend

Rotisserie Beef neck

and some rib eye, sausages and pork chops from by local butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

First time I ever had brisket was pulled brisket in Seattle. It was delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Very nice. Did you bookend the beef with a piece of onion or something? Never done a charcoal rotisserie but very interested

yeah half onion each side. It was a mix of briquettes and lump charcoal, i typically put some briquettes to bottom of fire starter and top it off with lump charcoal, so if theres small pieces they wont fall through the fire starter and be wasted

they/them/theirs

No particular reason, just want to use up weber lump charcoal bag i have left

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Horse Quack

Didn't get any pics of the finished product because things got a bit hectic. I used the Lidl rib holder and it worked very well, the butcher only had baby backs, not sure it would have worked as well with a bigger slab of spare ribs. Got 4 ribs on handy enough. Applied rub the night before, got a bit of snake action going in the weber and put my 4 ribs in the holder. I moved them around twice at about 1hour and 2 hours in to ensure the ones in the middle and back got some love. Had an unscheduled trip to the supermarket to deal with so ended up leaving them a bit longer than intended so didn't wrap until around 4 hours, left them wrapped for an hour than wrapped in towels and into the cool box to keep warm. They turned out great, fall off the bone tender (I would have preferred a bit more bite but they tasted good and people were happy with the tenderness so I won't complain). Couple of pics around about 1 hour and 2 hours in.

I just finished what was left of my Weber briquettes at the weekend for the rbs above so my next cook with briquettes will be using them.

I've used their lump charcoal a couple of times and it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Cooked on a gas BBQ for the first time in about 5 years at the weekend. The food is not a patch on charcoal BBQ for taste and flavour.

some good looking ribs you have/had there, where did you get them from? Every time im looking for some, they are skinny as hell with no meat what so ever

Cheers mate, let me know please, as im running dry on the briquettes and lump

Just from the local butcher. Their burgers were a bit **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I got some seriously chunky spare ribs over the weekend. That’s just a single rack cut in half. Loads of meat.

2.5-1.5-0.5 at 250f

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

HI folks, I'm looking to pick up a charcoal bbq. Will mostly be just grilling for a family of three but from looking at the threads here, I'd be tempted to branch out and try cooking larger cuts of meat, whole chicken etc. Looking at the weber go anywhere or the weber compact 47cm which . I know the weber go anywhere is designed as a portable bbq so I'm wondering would the compact kettle be more multi-functional? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭squonk

The GA is very small. You’d be limited for space with bigger cuts I think. I’d go the 47cm kettle route if you want to branch out. The GA is very portable and great for camping or the beach or whatever. If that’s nite inerrant to you, go for tge GA but I think the kettle is probably the better choice imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks for taking the time to advise, will go with the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

Go 57! And not compact. It'll be far more versatile.

second that. You better save and buy large than regret later. Original Kettle e5730 with ash catcher

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Completely agree with this...when I got into charcoal first, I got a 47cm (2nd hand to trial).....now that I am fully fledged I should have got a 57cm one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

That's what I have. Aside from being able to do big pieces of meat, where it's really handy is cooking a meal where most of the stuff is indirect. I'll be doing 16 chicken pieces, 2 garlic breads 3 sweetcorn and 4 chorizo sausages all indirect today. I'd say I'll fit everything except the garlic bread on, so can just do that at the end (it's quick anyway). And 2 steaks direct.

Even cooking for 2 people there are lots of days where you simply need the 57cm.

On the other hand, when cooking direct you can feed dozens on it. I fed about 60 one day and it wasn't a whole lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes definitely save a few extra quid and get the 57cm, it'll give you a lot more flexibility (especially when you have a larger group) and you won't need to buy another for a many years to come; I've had my Master Touch since 2015 and have cooked for 100s of hours on it in that time and it's still performing brilliantly to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Get both 😉

Well get the GA, and may as well get the 57 at that point

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

As guys said get the 57cm unless you are really very tight for space. Much more versatile. You can just fire up a small amount of charcoal if you just want a quick grill. Just putting lid on and closing vents will save most of the charcoal when you finish to reuse.

Planning to get GA myself soon to have for camping and holidays. Will probably also get used when I just want to cook a few burgers or chicken skewers.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Go big. Good quality material like the kettle will still be good on charcoal when you master the vents. I got the 57cm smokey mountain because the other one was out of stock. Don't regret it at all when it comes to grill area, better looking at it than looking for it.

Advertisement