Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

First straight into Quarter finals, 2nd and 3rd have play off game round from what I recall last season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Didn't see/hear the game but would pushing McDaid into the half back line help with the pace issue you highlighted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭threeball

Did McDaid play as a conventional corner forward or come out as a third midfielder. It was a weird selection as we're light on inside forwards then we pick a guy in there who's not suited to the position and we don't really need as 3rd midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I left him out of analysis as it was his first start after a long absence. Kicked a good score hesitantly off his left. Other than that his mistakes/turnovers would of been probably the highest on the pitch. Game will hopefully bring him on but 100% what you say he needs to be further out the pitch. Playing with his back to goal I'm sure is not something he's overly used too other than the odd game for Monivea/Abbey. Breaking lines and pushing forward is definitely his strong point.

He stayed in there. It was so strange. He was turned over a lot. In the end Galway stopped playing it in there and it made Westmeaths job easier as they could press us out further knowing we weren't going to look for an inside pass. Hernon seemed a bit lost as to what was expected of him too. Kicked a score but not much else went right.

I know we are down what we are down but overall management didn't make it easy on the players with the way we set up. Even Shane was out the field a lot when we so badly needed a focal point close to go to keep Westmeath honest. Odd time Matty drifted in there he caused them no end of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

He did some ligaments in the second half against Derry. He wanted to go off earlier against Derry but Joyce told him to run it off. He was subbed though a few minutes later but could've aggravated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

why go spouting that nonsense on here ….completely contradicts what Joyce said this evening.

Speculation is all part of discussion even if you may deem it "nonsense". It may alarm you to note that on a discussion forum there's actually a significant amount of speculation on all aspects of life.

Also Joyce has played up/down injuries numerous times in his tenure, as do a lot of managers. It's the nature of the role to never give your opposition the full picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well if the manager is saying the opposite to yourself it almost deems your post pointless , a lot of people come on here from other counties too to gain information and see what is happening in other counties , speculation and hearsay is the last thing anyone wants to hear or see

I was told that from a couple of fairly reliable source that have both come good on a few things already this championship. Part of being a supporter is hearing talk from somebody who knows a man about a dog. If Finnerty starts in 2 weeks I'll happily hold my hands up and take my lickings.

For the record I'd be delighted to see Finnerty play against Armagh. He's having a standout season and we need firepower like him. Hopefully Comer and Kelly are fit too. Having those three even on the matchday panel would be a massive boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

that's fair enough in reality its the reason the likes of myself use this because of people being knowledgeable and knowing whats going on behind the scenes

a really good win for galway today last year was a battle as well but impressive to do it without kelly and comer that cant be understated , molloy chipping in with a late super score is some answer to his substation in the connacht final and a measure of the galway squad at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭mjp

Looks like Armagh game will be in Markevicz park which not too bad a venue for us. No confirmation on times yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭vid36

I agree, much handier than Navan.Bring it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Happy that it isn't in Navan as rumoured. Markevicz is a nice venue and fair as a neutral venue for both travelling supporters. It's nice to see more regional grounds getting a look in for the Round 3 group games. I think it will be slightly under a sellout but I'd sooner see a nearly full smaller venue than a half empty Croker.

Should be a good atmosphere. Not sure what will attend but felt like a sizable increase at the Galway vs Westmeath game (around 8k maybe) that felt a big jump on last year. I've a feeling this Armagh game will be the same.

Be interesting to see what they do with the team. I personally at this stage would change 4-5 and see. Our balance is wrong. Daniel O Flaherty, Molloy (in his natural half back position) Sweeney, Culhane (in the absence of Comer/Finnerty) could all be worth a start and a change of set up.

Maybe with it being Armagh we'll see an improvement in mentality. Will be needed to stay in this game.

For whatever reason I think Joyce is holding back Cillian O'Curraoin this championship. I think he'd be ideal to start in the full-forward line if there's no Comer or Finnerty. McDaid is wasted up there as a stop-gap and he'd be a huge addition to midfield or with Daly and McHugh in the half-backs.

I know we're potentially missing 3 big names but I'm very happy to see Tierney going well after limited football in 2024 so far. You'd imagine any goal threat will need to involve himself, Heaney, Walsh or D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭mjp

Have to agree re O Curraoin. Stepped up to the mark hugely to keep us in div 1 when he had very little experience with him and thought he would get a chance with likes of comer and finnerty beside him see what he can do. Heaney has been a bit below his high standards in championship this year but should come good.

I think there's huge potential in Galway to score about 5 or 6 points more per game if the players were shooting from 40 yards out. Some do and some don't, so I don't know is it an instruction or their own instinct that's stopping them.

Tierney, Conroy, McDaid, Heaney, Walsh, Comer, OCurraoin, even maybe Finnerty, have all kicked 40 yarders now and again in the last 2 years. I think Armagh will score them against us and our slow build up play just keeps the opposition, no matter what level they're at, in the game for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Henry still Galway manager…..

Must want to stay on?

• Advertisement

Was that confirmed. Bad news for us if that's the case. Henrys philosophy on hurling is for a game that's not successful anymore. Hurling has moved on and its not going back any time soon. Add to that the fact that we don't have the players to play that way even if it had potential to work and we're losing on two fronts. Its a rebuild job and you need to appoint someone with a 3-5yr vision, not someone who doesn't want to go out on a bad note.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Robert2014

Agreed, we should have decided to start this after the second half against Limerick last year. A wasted year and if Henry stays on, the future will be delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A new manager won't solve Galway's problems.

Darren Morrissey, Daithí Burke, Fintan Burke

Kevin Cooney, Conor Whelan, Cathal Mannion

Full back line. Full forward line. Fill in the middle. Easier said that done maybe but not many teams start off with a template like that to work off.

Shefflin seemed too reluctant to bed in new faces like Killeen and Lawless, who were better options even if they don't work out long-term than moving Linnane to wing-back or keeping Grealish at corner back. I'd have zero confidence that he'd bed in new blood unless his hand got forced by retirements, which I think is a certainty over the winter.

Sometimes you just need to admit a job is too big for you and Shefflin, who I've no doubt tried his best, needs to realise that this rebuild is way above his skillset.

Fintan Burke can't be corner back. When he's pulled around following a pacy corner forward he gets very exposed.

Tbf the day of traditional "Corner backs" are gone. Nearly every team plays with two up top and then it's up to management to get match ups right. I agree a hugely pacy player wouldn't suit him.

For me Fintan Burke was the biggest positive in 2024. Went toe to toe with Gillane (subbed off league) TJ Reid and Chin and held his own in all. Thought he was man of the man from a Galway point of view against Dublin. When Daithí returned to the full back line against Antrim very little damage was caused in that line for the last two games.

Darach Fahy had a good year. Caimin Fahy impressed as an individual in the half back line and Gavin Lee got plenty of scores over the round Robin.

But the middle eight as a unit was close to Joe McDonagh hurling than All Ireland winners. No pressure at all defensively. Amount of times against Wexford and Dublin they had a free man in the middle of the pitch with no Galway player within 20 yards was criminal. Modern day hurling a free shot from half way is almost a gimme. Individually they are decent players (mostly) but collectively it was a disaster that management never looked like rectifying. Started against Carlow and got no better.

That balance isn't fixed it's a waste of some good hurlers.

Think it's fair to say a few of our better performers didn't turn up this year. If management are staying let's hope it was just a bad year rather than disillusionment with those at the top.

Well Shefflin staying will only exacerbate the problems. Theres 24 senior clubs in Galway with a further 6 or 7 intermediate clubs where that's their first team. If you only looked at the top 3 or 4 players from each club you'd have over 100 players with potential to add something.

There needs to be a better structure in place than bringing in a handful in the muck and shìt of the walsh cup and early league only to discard them. The net has to be cast wider and the opportunity to impress must be longer and in better circumstances.

Limerick can bring in lads off bad u20 teams who make an impression immediately and we can't add a single player of note from any age group. Even the best players will look average to poor in a badly set up team.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laymansterms

There may be 24 senior clubs in Galway but there are not 24 clubs playing senior standard Hurling. I'd include my own club in that. The structure of that championship needs to be looked at - 24 is just too many and I can think of at least 6 clubs off the top of my head that would be better off playing (and competing and possibly winning) at Intermediate level. The same goes for some of the so called intermediate clubs at the moment, some of them should be playing Junior.

I'm not saying that to disrespect any club but it's just he reality. It's very obvious when you attend games.

Having said that, I do think that the Hurlers are there. There are easily 100 hurlers as you say. We have the foundations and there is proof that the foundations are good - Club AI, Minor AI etc. The fact that there is no news on Shefflin leads me to believe that it's his decision to make. IF he is to stay, I would like to see a statement that it is for 3 years and that he is rebuilding the team. Another 1 year serves nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It doesn't really matter what level a player's club is playing at, you could have a very good player playing at junior level, who'd be well fit for county standard. The net definitely has to be cast wider, can't keep going to the same faces or only selecting from players who played at under age level, some player's develop at a later age. It should be looked at as a long term rebuilding (probably 3 years), don't think Shefflin is the right man for the job, has tried his best, but it's clearly not working. Needs a new manager to bring fresh ideas.

We also need to accept that we aren't going to be all Ireland contenders in the next couple of years-tbh we haven't been contenders in the last few years either, if we take off the rose tinted glasses that we ran Limerick close a couple of times, those were one off performances which papered over the cracks and they were games in which we never looked like winning anyway. We have been consistently poor for the last 3 or 4 years with the odd decent performance thrown in.

Advertisement