Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The answer is for the players to stop **** the bed, unfortunately. There's only so much a coach can do to prepare them, at the end of the day, he's in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If we had lost by blowouts in a few finals then you could have a discussion about Cullen's position. But Leinster have lost the last three finals by an aggregate of 4 points. That's nothing.

There definitely should be questions asked about why Leinster fail to execute in these finals. But for the sake of 4 points I don't think we should be doing something as drastic as sacking a head coach.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no need for drastic action but after replacing a coach with a history of coming up short with a renowned winner of tight games and getting the same result, it's hard to even know what question to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

He only had half a season with them though and admittedly didnt make deliberate drastic changes. The main question I suppose is given time to settle in and a full preseason with the squad what improvements will we see next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Got a chance to watch the Connacht game back in some detail yesterday. Solid win if not spectacular largely tempered by the fact that Connacht were abysmal. Any one of their coaches could potentially be in line to lose their job but it ultimately needs to land at Wilkins' door.

Leinster went into the game looking to throw it around and run up a bit of a score, I feel. And because of that, they were very wasteful at times. I think they tried trick plays on the line out 5 times during the game with short pops to the front which largely ended with us losing the ball. If we had held onto it and gone out to midfield for a recycle, we probably would have had the BP sorted by half time. Going 40 minutes without a score was a concern, to be honest. There was (again) a shift in pattern after the break with far more box kicking and looking to shut the game down. It was noticeable how much less ball the backline saw after the break.

Halfbacks were good. Foley is still very slow at the base but has ability. But if he can't speed that up, he'll be a poor man's Conor Murray (35 year old Murray, not 25 year old Murray). Prendergast showed a few nice touches and looked fairly comfortable. Wasn't tested at all defensively really although he fell off one on the narrow side in the second half that led to a half break. Showed enough to suggest he's ready to be more of a fixture in the 23 next season at the least.

Molony got the emotional call but JOB was excellent again aside from one sliced kick and spilling an unsympathetic offload in the first half. He looked dangerous and a cut above when he had the ball. I thought the departing guys looked really good. For my money, Ed Byrne has been hard done by. Any time he plays, he goes well. If any of our other props did the job he did on Bealham, we'd be hearing a lot more about it. Thought he was excellent and showed well in the loose also. Thought Ruddock was very good around the park during his time on the field. Always been a model blindside, won line out ball, made a rake of tackles and turned slow, crap ball into go forward ball. Thought Ngatai looked fairly unfit but could see his rugby brain is still more instinctive than 90% of the Leinster squad. Saved a near certain try from the full back position when he delayed committing to their carrier and then stepped in, forcing a knock on at the last second. He then went on a pick and go for about 30-40m upfield before Connacht could reset and played scrum half then at the breakdown. It's a huge shame that he is so injury prone as he's genuinely a class act. I'd have had him starting last week if he was fully fit.

On the less positive side, Rob Russell seems to have stagnated a bit. He looks like a confidence player and once he made that error against Ulster, expecting a whistle, he has looked wobbly. A couple more errors at the weekend didn't help. Milne was also someone I really am unconvinced by. Came on for 30 minutes, scrum dominance disappeared and conceded two lazy breakdown penalties. Given Ed Byrne is still only 30, I'd happily be holding onto him ahead of Milne although finances may have been a part of that.

• Advertisement

On a different note, I'm not sure where Connacht go from here. They looked mentally checked out aside from a handful of guys. I recommend going back and watching Conan's try from the camera angle behind the goals. Carty should be embarrassed. He was looking for an intercept but he literally ran between two attackers on his own 5m line rather than commit to a tackle. Oliver wasn't able to stop Conan on his own and they conceded. I'd play nearly any other option at 10 ahead of Carty now.

The other concerning one was Bealham. He looked totally disinterested. Was well beaten at the scrum and made no impact around the park. I can see Jager getting the nod for at least one of the summer tests. Maybe age is starting to impact Bealham a little as he turns 33 this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It pains me greatly to say this but the one thing that underlines those losses (and I include NZ) is big game performances and big game strategy.

The Leinster and Ireland team had lots of heroic performances but invariably 'The Rocky Elsom' impact performances were on the other sides. They also had better strategy and identified weaknesses and exploited them. Sometimes glaringly.

I'm not convinced at all with Nienaber and winning the URC (which they could even do with Prendergast playing 10) is not going to change my opinion.

Leinster in talks with Rabah Slimani of Clermont to replace Ala'alatoa. Being reported by a French publication which Rugby pass are now commenting on.

I'm kind of with you on Byrne. He's the definition of a high floor, low ceiling player but Leinster seem to want players capable of great things even if susceptible to bleeding penalties. Which I can understand, it's hard to build a side of average stalwarts and achieve success.

Milne just doesn't seem to have what it takes to scrummage. I've seen more promise from Boyle in the tight and the loose in his appearances so far. You can say what you like about props needing to grow into the game in their late 20s but young players like Fin Baxter and Opoku-Fordjour (and Healy and Furlong, closer to home) show that need not be the case.

Bit shite that Vakh Abdaladze seems to have gotten over his injury issues once he left. He could have been useful this year and next if he hadn't Nacewaed himself for 30 mins of international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Really interesting signing if it happens. Fits the profile of what Leinster need and won't break the bank like Tupou would have. Excellent scrummager, on the older side but another 12 months of Clarkson and McGuire being able to develop. Plus Slimani won't be playing any international rugby going forward so he's kept fairly fresh. If Healy can stay fit next year, Leinster will have an excellent scrummaging front row off the bench.

• Advertisement

If the price is right, I'm ok with Slimani. He's 35 in the autumn and actually a smaller guy than Ala'alatoa but he's a solid scrummager and has held his own against the best including going well against the Sharks first choice front row a few weeks ago.

But I wouldn't want him for more than a year. It's a case of trying to extrapolate as much scrummaging information and expertise out of him in a 12 month window if he arrives and then move him on. He still has some legs (1,500 minutes this season over 31 games) so will hopefully be available for a solid chunk of the season if he arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

Id start with 'why didn't you take Ross off at half time? His kicks were short and he was bang average.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭durthacht

Steady on. This is not the place for such a sensible, measured, and rational comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That is a lower level of signing than i would have expected there. It seems hard to get dispensation in front row as is. Seems like an underwhelming way to use it if you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Andrew Brace to ref Saturdays game..

Was worried that Frank Murphy might have been appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

One question is, is Nienaber a proven winner or the assistant to a proven winner?

His job title might have been head coach of the Boks but I don’t think anyone believes he was calling too many shots.

I still think our biggest weakness is on field leadership. Losing Sexton and then seeing both co-captains have their season decimated by injury hasn’t helped, but we need players to start showing something here.

I had thought initially that the IRFU were blocking the signing of any NIQ Tight head to Leinster. If Slimani does sign for Leinster, that dispels that rumor. More than likely it was just Tupou himself that the IRFU blocked. Whether it was due to his massive salary or that he has been dealing with injury, poor form and fitness issues for the Rebels.

At this stage of the season, Leinster were going to be very limited in who they could sign at the Tight head position. Most top tight heads are locked into long term contracts due to how important the position is and how few good quality TH's there is.

Slimani ticks the box's Leinster wanted and while he isn't the same ball carrier or doesn't have the same bulk as Tupou, his scrummaging will be a really nice addition to Leinster bench. Plus his age profile doesn't hinder the development of Rory McGuire or Tom Clarkson. More than like Slimani like RG Snyman and Jordie Barrett would be until the end of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster -16 points with the bookies is mad imo.

ulster have beaten leinster twice already this season, in very close games. The Leinster team in the RDS was a good mixture of firsts and seconds, and played in wet conditions which suited the better pack. leinsters starting pack was Healy, Sheehan, Clarkson, Jenkins, McCarthy, Baird, Connors and Doris, with VDF, molony, conan, big mike and boyle from the bench.

the ulster team that beat us up in ravenhill will be similar to what we will face this weekend as well.

Ulster are clearly playing better now than they were doing for the majority of the season.

I can see this being a 6-8 point game to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Blocking specifically Tipou would be insanely nit picky from the irfu imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can't see it being a particularly close game, even on this run of good results I haven't found Ulster to be all that impressive. Leinster with a starting 23 is still leagues above a team with 7 or 8 rotations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Add to that, this is a must-win game for any hope of silverware. Mentality will be very different to a game they wanted but didn't need to win.

I think Leinster will win comfortably on the scoreboard.

Up until this week he was under contract to the Rebels for next season, on a hefty salary.

The Leinster team in the RDS was a good mixture of firsts and seconds, and played in wet conditions which suited the better pack. leinsters starting pack was Healy, Sheehan, Clarkson, Jenkins, McCarthy, Baird, Connors and Doris, with VDF, molony, conan, big mike and boyle from the bench.

It was a decent Leinster team (pretty callow in the backs), but going back to a point I made yesterday about continuity; only three of the Leinster XV started the previous match (against Munster), versus 10 for Ulster against Connacht. And 11 of the Ulster team had started the game before that, against Racing.

Ciaran Frawley was the only Leinster player to start all three matches in that same window, but he did so at 10, 12 and 15, and a different out-half started each game for Leinster, none of whom were our actual first-choice OH.

This has to take a toll on team performance.

And now, assuming we go full-strength against Ulster, maybe only JOB will start from the XV that started against Connacht, possibly Osborne if it's a week too soon for Ringrose.

Edit: I still expect us to win, just an observation that it's not ideal.

Are the same players getting picked for Ireland based on continuity suffering from a lack of continuity at Leinster?

What a world we live in.

I think the IRFU were afraid of further backlash that they would receive if Leinster were to land 3 superstars in one season. They did put Leinster in a very difficult decision. Leinster desperately needed a replacement for Michael Ala'alatoa, they also knew that Leinster desperately wanted to bring in an extra piece off the bench who would compliment Nienaber's "bomb squad" Tupou would have been the perfect person to bring on for 30 minutes in the 2nd half and physically beat up the opponent. The same can be said for Snyman. With them two monstering teams alongside the already well established Leinster bench, Leinster would have been a completely different animal next season.

At the end of the day, the IRFU probably had to keep the other provinces happy by being seen to actively say no to Leinster on Tupou.

I suppose it's easier to just call for the coaches to be sacked than to think about why everything might not be perfect week in week out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They're getting picked for Ireland because they're the best players in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ah I doubt the IRFU could give a toss about backlash. Leinster produces the majority of the irish team so the theory that every team has a right to be treated equally is nonsensical (I'm not suggesting that you're saying this). All teams should be treated fairly but that doesn't mean equally.

Tupou may just not have worked out for other reasons (ie availability)

EDIT: Typo

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

Advertisement