Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ireland survive without importing anything?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

Your last point there I think is a good one, I think General satisfaction would increase as people move from moving numbers on a computer to working with their hands and the real impact that work would have, if you dont harvest enough turnips the winter will be very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Think of all the meat and vegetables you could trade them for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

There is a mountain of beef n sheep n milk products. A pile of fish. Loads of whiskey. Loads of clothes. Ireland is not a cold country..so a couple of jumpers n a hat indoors in the winter. I'd say we'd band together fairly well. Initially we'd be grand from all the stocks we have and from a few years on we would have adapted ..no problem. We don't grow much wheat or vegetables but we'd up production. We would be basically living like our grandparents n probably better off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, the OP said there'd be a sudden unexpected collapse in shipping. that's a very different scenario from having time to completely reorient our entire system of agriculture.

There are 5 million sheep slaughtered a year in ireland alone. That's a sheep and a fleece for everyone in the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Exactly how long do you think a single sheep would keep the average person fed for???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

Turf powered hospitals? Within a generation we'd be back to industrial age standards of living. We have so much stuff but no means to replace / repair it indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Purely back of an envelope using figures pulled from Google but the question intrigued me so I took a shot at answering it:

Google says there are 292 calories in 100 grams of Lamb and that the mature weight of ewes is 80 – 100kgs.

If we assume every part of the animal is used (bones used to make broth, we're eating eyeballs, tongue, offal all used etc.) and take a conservative estimate of 50kgs of edible material per animal that works out at 46,000 calories per animal.

At 2,500 calories a day (well above anyone's starving level), that's 58.4 days of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Yes. If you could live without:

Food

Pharmaceuticals

Medicine

Fuel

Fertiliser

Technology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

If it got to the stage of not being able to import anything, I imagine we would not be keeping the data centres open for too long. Huge power saving there and their power storage would allow us to smooth our wind energy. I could happily power my house with my few solar panels - maybe not hoover so often, but would be able to keep the car going for small journeys for at least some of the year.

I would also allow the neighbours access to some ground for growing their own veg, or increase my own production and use surplus to barter/trade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The Irish State? No

The people currently occupying the Island of Ireland? Yes, but not in a lifestyle as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Social order in the cities would be a problem as much of what they are used to would be gone and rationing would have to be introduced. You are right too that the loss of much fossil fuel derived fertilizer and imported fuel would impact on the volume of production. However, other sources cold come into play if they wern't exported i.e. gas, veg oil diesel HVO, seaweed etc. I am not saying they would replace totally our dependence on FF but essential services could still run. Still we would be in a much better position than most other Western Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

And I suppose the "party" will be on hand to give out turnips if anyone doesn't harvest enough turnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

be great.
    first thing is we’d all need to eat more meat and dairy. Two wonderful foods that thankfully we produce in abundance thanks to our climate. We could well get by on these until we got serious about supporting our market garden sector to produce suitable fruit and veg in larger quantities. It’s important to remember though that something like 70% of our land isn’t suitable for crops so beef and dairy would still prevail as major food studs.

I’d say fuel rationing would have to happen immediately so it’s reserved for food production and powering essential services like hospitals

Strange food problems would pop up, like we produce loads of wheat but there’s essentially no commercial milling happening so flour and porridge would be scarse.

"so beef and dairy would still prevail as major food studs." - looks like we have a volunteer for milking the bulls.

• Advertisement

You're looking at 30kg (including offal) per sheep at 1/2 kg a day....60 days. But then you have the 1.8 million cattle slaughtered per year giving 550 million kgs of beef giving another 220 days at 1/2 kg a day. Pigs would be 3.3 million or 80 days at 1/2kg. 100 million chickens give another 60 days. That's 60+220+80+60= 420 days of 500g meat for 5 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no, the economy would completely collapse! best of luck with trying to provide critical needs such as food, energy and health care needs under such conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭nachouser

And it sure wouldn't be 5m people for very long. Once supermarkets run dry in the first week(??), then 95% of the population will be completely fupped. Sure, you might have a few potatoes, tomatoes and a bit of lettuce growing in the back garden but good luck with that keeping you going until nationwide food distribution is sorted from the - presumably now nationalised - main food producers in the country. It's Mad Max: Fury Road time after the first couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…been there done that, interesting country but not exactly democratic nor wealthy and healthy for most….

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭teediddlyeye

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How many horses, carts and bicycles are there in the country? We'd be a minimum of a couple of years waiting for even a few horses, who knows how to make cartwheels now? Though maybe recycled car wheels might work, and opening a bicyle factory would be a great idea, but where would the metal come from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well here in Switzerland it is not hypothetical, we have stock pilled sufficient reserves for the population for about 6 months along with sufficient seeds to start growing crops etc. after the apocalypse or whatever… Manufacturers and import merchants are required by law to hold sufficient stocks at their expense to cover six months and it is inspected on a regular basis to ensure it truly exists. This was the lessons learned from WW2 and the cold war.

The funny thing is we were about to vote on reducing and eliminating some of those stocks just before covid struck and the polling was showing it would be an easy win! So how did it work out - mixed. There was no panic buying everyone knew we had sufficient stocks of everything, including toilet paper for 9m people for 6 months! Having it and being able to distribute it are two very different things. A lot of it is squirreled away under the Alps (which are like a Swiss cheese now so much stuff is under them) and little thought was put into how you actually get it out and onto the shelves in the supermarkets! It took about three months to get it flowing and even the postal services lorries etc were brought into service.

Could Ireland survive, probably but it would need a lot of planning up front and as far as I know that is absent today.

Advertisement