Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He's proven again and again to be a bad teammate too. But I don't see the logic of dropping him for one race. If they have a decent replacement, take him now or wait until end of season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Bad team-mate but decent driver.

Alpine seems like a bit of a sinking ship to be honest. You can make cases for most teams being on the up (with the exception of HAAS) but with Alpine there never seems to be any kind of good news coming from their camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Ted (I know, I know!) was mentioning at some point over the weekend that the team principles have basically said Andretti can join, but only by buying an existing team and Alpine is potentially the one they could buy. Not the most reliable source, but given they seem to be in no mans land at the moment, now may be the best time for them to sell up

Ted is one of the better ones they have at Sky. Also, i'd imagine the bosses at Renault Automobile are thinking this sh!tshow is potentially bad for business. If they become a laughing stock it potentially impacts retail sales, and also the money they have pumped in to the F1 eam already

Ya, it's been said a bunch that the obvious candidates for being sold are Alpine or RB. But with the new engines coming in 2026 and presumably a big investment having gone into the engine project by Renault, I'd be surprised if they want to sell until a year or 2 into new regs if they are still tanking.

• Advertisement

F1 2024 game driver ratings released. Discuss. I really hope they don't do that video they've done in the past where drivers guess their and their team mate's rating. Poor Sargent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think that is a tad unfair on William and Vowels. Himself and Pat Fry have basically rebuilt the infrastructure at the factory to run better and more efficiently, that won't naturally show in terms of results just yet, but they are very much in the rebuilding phase.

Newey has already said he wants another challenge, he just hasn't said when yet. I think Williams is probably better suited to what he wants than any other team really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

That video was already up on YouTube by the time you posted! I don’t think there’s anything too crazy in those rankings as they’re using stats and factoring more than just immediate form as far as I’m aware. If it was 2024 form, you would need a good reshuffle for certain drivers.

Pleasantly surprised that the stats have Alonso number two. Definitely a less sexy option than some of the younger alternatives but still a great driver when the cars going well. It’s a shame that Red Bull were so dominant in early 2023 when the Aston Martin was competitive and Alonso looked great - could have had race wins only for it.

Personally, I rate Sainz a little bit below LeClerc and Norris. It’s easier for me to say now after each has picked up a recent race win but they are both brillant at qualifying and their ceiling has seemed higher than Sainz’s. In comparison to Sainz, I feel like LeClerc is judged more harshly as the expectations are so high and have been from the bar he set early on. Not taking away from Sainz who has had very good form over the last year or so. Ferrari are losing a very good driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

They currently remind me of the time they had the Merc copy when they were racing point, they just can’t seem to keep on top of it when they eventually have a good car challenging at the front of the grid and they fall away. Obviously it will take another while to see if the aggressive hiring they’ve done over the past couple of years bears any fruit.

• Advertisement

One thing that was great about the Monaco GP (maybe the only thing) was seeing the yellow cars going around. I know I am nostalgic and a bit prideful with Jordan F1, but their cars were really beautiful.

The yellow was great. And as Eddie Jordan pointed out on his podcast at some point, it was always easy to pick them out of the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Absolutely nothing to do with F1, but it made me laugh and it's yellow, from the comment above..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

LOl

I wish Laurence Stroll would send Lance somewhere else so Carlos could get that seat. That would be a great lineup at Aston Martin with Fernando and Carlos.

At the moment Carlos's options are not great short term either Sauber/Audi or Williams but maybe long term they might have potential.

If Carlos were to end up in Aston Martin then Bottas could go to Sauber/Audi and Tsunado could go to Williams.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Perez confirmed at RedBull until end of 2025 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Its race week. Montreal next so an evening race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

OCon leaving alpine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I wonder will Toto give him a year at Merc to give Kimi more time in f2.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Ocon is being dumped at the end of the season.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/13147234/esteban-ocon-alpine-driver-to-leave-team-at-end-of-2024-formula-1-season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sadly, Alpine is looking like Sainz's best option for the moment.

Ms

That or Aston Martin if Laurence Stroll wants Aston Martin up at the top the Lance has to go.

Ocon and Gasly were just not a good pairing. The rest of the season should be fun watching them two together racing.

I wonder where he will end up. I would say he woukd like to go to to Sauber/Audi but will probably end up at Haas. We shull see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭furiousox

Jacovs11:34 am

Perez confirmed at RedBull until end of 2025 season.

Where are you getting that from?

Can't see any confirmation online.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sorry, quoted wrong post.

I meant to query the post about Perez being renewed for 2025.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just thinking, is Ocon still managed by Toto Wolff?

https://x.com/Planet_F1/status/1797706517564522823?t=6QcqsRpteJndiY_FdyRDeQ&s=19

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I don't know much if a shakeup Ocon leaving is going to have. Ricciardo to Williams or Audi I wonder. Sargent to Haas. Sainz to who knows. It's quite interesting as there's a few drivers potentially leaving F1 this season

Sargent is gone from the grid at end of season. There is 0 chance he ends up with a different team.

• Advertisement

RedBull posted on twitter, some announcement coming at 17:00 BST.

The grid is going to look totally different next year.

There must have been a hell of a lot more going on behind the scenes with Ocon to be turfed out.

Ms

Not Totally. A little different but not totally. Red Bull will still be the same and so will Mclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari will both have a new driver, Aston Martin more than likely will be the same two drivers,

Haas, Sauber, VCARB, Williams and Alpine will all have at least one new driver.

So about 70 per cent different.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd say 70% different equates to more than "a little different"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Two year contract extension for Perez at Red Bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

Boring! Compared to the 90s, the teams are holding on for far longer on drivers as those are part of the brand

This is basically it.The brand. Where do we need to grow the brand/brand potential.

China/Japan/Mexico…..is a driver affiliated with big money sponsors…….You can bet your last cent that there are better drivers out there that will never get the chance to drive an F1 car

Fair play to Perez’s negotiating team. Two years is a bit of a surprise to me. Read that the money he brings in is very material to Red Bull which I guess is all part of it. Presume they are happy enough the the driver dynamic too.

I was delighted for him when he got the shot at Red Bull after the Racing Point breakup as he deserved a good drive. There’s been a few false dawns but it’s felt like he’s stagnated this last year and generally lacks consistency. Would like to have seen him back in something like an Aston Martin but let’s see what happens.

It’s funny how the Red Bull tolerance for underperforming has changed over the years but again, theres more to it than that and circumstances have probably allowed it.

A straight 2 year extension? Not a 1 + 1? I'm surprised...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A 2 year extension for Perez? The mind boggles, id say Liam Lawson must be wondering wtf he's doing being part of that organisation.

Has to be a reasonable shot at the Visa Cash App seat for 2025 for Lawson. Maybe Perez being in the main team will work out for Lawson in the mid term if he impresses.

Safe bet with Perez, he has been up and down in previous years. His last few races seem to be a bit suspect but who else would Red Bull really want? The talk was that Sainz and Verstappens fathers were the main issue at Torro Rosso, if that still holds true…that would be a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭Trampas

I don’t see the reason behind red bull announcing it now as not like Perez is going to want to leave. I expect Perez showed up with waving some notes in front of him and said I’m in for next few years

I can see Yuki moving now. Where to, idk. Kick in the teeth for him after his recent performances. Not saying he would do better than Checo, just that this was his best shot. Riciardo wont/cant move, be glad just to keep hold of his RB seat and staying in F1. Liam Lawson possibly with him at RB.

Bearman surely taking Hulkenberg's place at Haas.

If theres 2 rookies on the grid, would mean 2 others have to step out. Sargeant and Zhou are my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And god forbid that a new team joins which can offer 2 new seats. 😒

Politics unfortunately.

Also, no idea why Checo has got his contract renewed. Unreliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

Rumour was that Audi asked RB for him, they declined to let him go so Audi would need to buy him out.
    Although see the point of them buying a driver out, too many free agents for what they will be doing the next years.
    Bottas, Sainz, Zhou, Ocon, Magnussen …

At least 2 of them will never be seen again in F1. Throw that joker from Florida in there too

But Yuki is out of contract end of this season, so shouldnt be a problem for next season I wouldnt think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement