Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That has been an option for a long time. You take the risk of an Injury in your final year meaning you'll end up with no club, a long-term injury and no support. It's a risk for sure.

Football really needs to look at the role of agents in the game as well. They are getting far too much of the pie for what they do. Deals like the Haaland deal are mental.
    A % of a player's wage and a wage cap would be sensible to stop things spiralling out of control down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dave Sexton, 1967 - 1974

Chelsea have had as many managerial appointments (23) since the year 2000 as Liverpool have had in their history since being founded in 1892

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think it will be rare, clubs won't have the money to pay the player the singing on fee if they don't get incoming transfer fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's also risky for players who aren't as high profile as Mbappé. What happens if you get injured or have a bad run of form towards the end of your contract. You could find yourself in the K League with Lingard.

Or like DDG. Surprised he hasn't gone anywhere. Wonder where Martial will end up too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's starting to look like De Gea's just been biding his time for a massive money move - Ronaldo's been pushing for De Gea to be signed for Al Nassr, but they were at their limit of outside signings. Looks like Ospina will be moved on now to make way for De Gea, who will probably earn many times what he would've earned in that year had he gone somewhere.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

how popular is Saudi league? I genuinely wouldnt know one team name (although have seen them written of course, like in previous message) but what level of interest, if any, do people have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've never heard anybody talk about outside of the ridiculous money Neymar got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

https://twitter.com/lawton_times/status/1797998795084423191?s=46

Watershed moment for the premier league coming their way

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Man City launch unprecedented legal action against Premier League. Has sparked civil war among clubs with hearing due to start on June 10. City describing PL financial rules as ‘tyranny of the majority’. Full story here on ⁦
    @TimesSport

behind a paywall. im sure other outlets will run it soon.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/football/article/man-city-legal-action-premier-league-hearing-7k6r5glhq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

yes, but it’s high profile player I’m taking about. If they get a massive deal at 21/22 that sets them up for life, they can take the risk. As for having no incoming transfer fees, the same money is sloshing around, it’s just a matter of how it’s a spent.

launching that legal action would seem to indicate they are bang to rights on the FFP charges.

last roll of the dice.

This is what I expected. They'll try and keep.thid in court as long as possible and cost the Premier league a fortune. If they don't get the result they want them they'll bring the charges to court on points of law. They'll try and put the Premier league in debt then offer company all their legal costs and accept a hefty fine. They've so much money they are hard to take on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Imagine if City win the case. The amount of sponsorship they will be able to give themselves would be unlimited. Newcastle will also be keeping a close eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

The tyranny of the majority, Jesus. Not big fans of democracy then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think we already knew that! City’s owners are probably wondering why they simply can’t murder a few EPL administrators to get their way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is wild. If City win this case it will be City vs Newcastle in perpetuity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I wonder will people stop watching in protest if this happens. My guess would be no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Still sour that nobody recognises their achievements. And people never will either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

they might just stop watching, or watch less, cause it’s shïte though

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Or stop paying to watch, which is much the same thing for the PL

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I have pretty much given up watching if a game is on free to I might watch but since the World Cup in Qatar and with Saudi odds on the get it at the next round of bidding I just don’t really care about it anymore. I know plenty who used to pay for Sky/BT who no longer pay and only watch MOTD now. More and more people are just going to drop away and younger generations only want bite size clips of goals and. contentious issues and they definitely won’t pay sky rates for that.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

For a club, and fanbase, who insist on pleading their innocence, this is not exactly the action that would reflect that.

And an aside, Man City must have a fairly hefty legal bill themselves now too. I wonder if that large legal bill will appear on their own club accounts or will it be outsourced to an Associated Party sponsorship type set up, or maybe the City Football Group will pick up the tab for them, the nice not-associated folks that they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Any chance that Man City could be suspended from the league because they are bringing legal action against it, or is this due process?

New York FC will pay that probably. I know this is harsh but I'm lovin this just for sheer amusement. I do genuinely feel for fans of other clubs. The reality is are people really surprised? This is the result of letting countries own clubs. Surprising it hasn't happened sooner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I very much doubt it.

But I would like a rake of 12.30 on Saturday games and anything else that might be awkward for them.

Such a joke really that this hasn't been sorted yet. We've been hearing about these charges for an absolute age.

I would love to see them chucked out of the league and stripped of their titles etc but I just cannot see that happening - but for the good of the game, something a kin ti that has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Think the easiest solution is to sell the Premier League to City, let them make up the rules, etc and everyone involved is paid exponentially more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Anyone who thought they could be found innocent on the basis of 'well let's wait and see what the courts say' need to give themselves a good fúcking shake.

City fans included.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If I'm reading it right then their entire argument boils down to this. They voluntarily signed up to the rules set out by the PL but now that they've broken said rules they've decided the rules are no longer fair and they should be allowed do whatever they want.

This all coming hot on the heels of a recent meeting between UAE and British government officials. The same British government that is setting up a regulatory body to oversee the PL. This all seems like a complete coincidence and definitely aren't related at all, no siree.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was it not the Saudis who met with the British government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Can Forest get there 4pts back then....will take them in the new season. Thanks😁

And dame the tyranny of the majority....whoever they are.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If City win this case then that's football done and dusted.

People cancelling their sky subscriptions etc en masses might have some effect in that instance.

Eventually this ball will end up in the court of football fans because City leveraging their financial clout to get away with everything must be the biggest foregone conclusion in history.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"Tyranny of the majority"? Wtf is that? Funny way of saying the will of the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Tyranny.....I especially like the last one.... probably how dictators and monarch's work...no?

• a state under cruel and oppressive government.
    • cruel, unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control."the tyranny of her stepmother"
    • (especially in ancient Greece) rule by one who has absolute power without legal right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So they are essentially conceding on one (or a number) of the 115 charges but now want courts to say they were unfair to begin with.

Unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's quite clear why City's Khaldoon has been so confident in any interview he's had on this.

He fully knows that he and his colleagues are willing to financially destroy the Premier League over this, and he does not believe the Premier League will stay the course for that reason.

Their only tactic all along has been to keep it in the courts as long as possible, because their pockets are bottomless. And they know it.

Shame on the PL letting them buy a club in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

If Liverpool, Man Utd or Arsenal were thrown out of the PL, either of the other two winning the PL would be demeaned by the absence of the 3rd.

If City or Newcastle were thrown out, Liverpool, Man Utd or Arsenal winning it wouldn’t be demeaned one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

the neck on them! but if they win, thats the end of it.

The newspaper reports City are attempting to end the Premier League's Associated Party Transaction (ATP) rules.

Those rules regard commercial and sponsorship deals with companies owned or associated with the same club's owners.

As things stand, those rules dictate such transactions have to be independently assessed to be of fair market value.

The Times reports that City believe the rules are "unlawful" and they want to seek damages for revenue lost by preventions made by those rules.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/13147867/man-city-launch-legal-action-against-premier-league-over-financial-rules-ahead-of-their-own-115-charge-hearing

on the original 115:

"The hearing into those charges is set for November but obviously, a lot of those charges are also to do with sponsorship deals, deals that were done with companies that are connected to the owners of Manchester City.

"So, if Man City win this case, which starts next week, that would blow a big hole in the Premier League's case at the hearing in November about the 115 charges because Man City would have argued successfully next week that some of these rules are unlawful and incompatible with UK competition law."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

I saw in a tv show once where a young man who had “busy hands” went home and told his parents that a girl might go to the police over his actions. So, what did they do? They launched their legal action first, alleging that the girl was the one who committed the offences. That’s what City are at. An absolute plague of an entity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But the charges are that the lied about the source of the sponsorship funds, not that they were inflated. In fact the charges say the sponsors were only paying a fraction of what city claimed.

The third party stuff has no bearing on any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

A breakaway league that excludes clubs with nation state owners is the way to go at this stage. Let City and Newcastle crack on and battle it out in their own little league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Genie is out of the bottle in that one, and both would claim they are not state backed. Newcastle especially.

The only counter is the ffp rules, and this anchoring idea the most powerful tool in that. They could see that thrown out, I think the PFA will oppose it on principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That article says that there is a "division between PL clubs", "civil war". At least one club submitted a witness statement in defence of Man City but 'more than half of the clubs are on the side of the PL'. That implies that there are multiple other PL clubs are siding with Man City here.

With the exception of the obvious Newcastle, and perhaps Chelsea, given their history under Roman and current links to Saudi. Who else would side with Man City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Villa seem pretty determined to remove any financial rules

Villa? They have serious cash and are willing to spend apparantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Man United, Man City and Aston Villa voted against the proposed payroll cap.

Maybe Man U want to open the door to Ineos sponsorship that's actually Ratcliffe pouring money directly into it? I'm sure it'll come out in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This is what happens when you don't have a properly structured set of rules for clubs to follow.

City unleashing the lawyers hoping to use the greed of those other clubs to try and muddy the waters. I'd be seriously annoyed to know my club were siding with that lot.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement