Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Hopefully those merges will be minimized as the majority of Dart SW trains can solely use the PPT and the northern two tracks of the 4-track Kildare line. Emerging from the PPT, trains can only use the Drumcondra section and head to Spencer Dock or Connolly. The Maynooth Darts can merge onto either the Royal Canal or Drumcondra sections. If they use the Royal Canal section, they have to terminate at Spencer Dock.

It remains to be seen what service patterns are chosen, but if all Maynooth Darts use the Royal Canal and terminate at Spencer Dock, then there won't be any conflict between West and SW Darts.

But of course the addition of some Intercity and Commuter services will create conflicts. North Strand junction into Connolly will be the biggest issue, for which the only solution is a DU Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

Has it been decided what side of the existing tracks the new tracks will laid on for the four tracking section of Dart SW? I looked over the railway order but couldn't see if the tracks will be to the north or south of the track. I'm currently looking at houses on Landen road and trying to get a sense of the impact of the works. Would appreciate if anyone knowledgeable with the project knows the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The drawings that are on the railway order site will have all of the details you want.

https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/railwayorder/dart-south-west-railway-order

Book 1, Railway Works Plan is the one you need.

There is very little new land take for these works, but some retaining walls have been moved out in places.

Thanks it appears the substratum will be acquired but the back garden should stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OisinCooke

I believe they’re upgrading northern two lines (ie. the up slow and up fast lines) so as to not require a crossover to access the PPT. They’ll be sunken slightly crossing under the South Circular Rd at Islandbridge Jnct so as to fit the wires but I believe that’s the only track work that’s being done, aside from adding the 4th track for the last 4km to Heuston - open to correction on that though

• Advertisement

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you are you saying they are just electrifying the two existing tracks that run through much of Ballyfermot? Looking at the works book it looked like they would be laying 2 brand new tracks

Most of the SW cortidor is already four tracks thanks to previous investments in the 2000s.. from looking at the drawings it seems that these works were done with future electrification in mind, and will just need installation of the necessary equipment.

However, because of space and cost constraints at the time, the 4 km or so coming in to Heuston was not expanded to four tracks (it currently has three tracks for most of the length): this will be changed to having four tracks all the way through. Also the two electrified tracks that will be assigned to DART will be changed in order to allow seamless running to the Phoenix Park Tunnel (currently, any trains for the PPT have to cross the path of trains bound for Heuston).

The drawings use a colour code to show which tracks require new construction (moving or new build), and which are just electrification of what's already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Sure, the proposal to have the 2 tracks on the Up (or North) side of the 4-track section as DART+ eliminates most of the conflict at Islandbridge, but it also means the loss of turnback facilities for the existing slow tracks. How will these facilities be maintained?. Can a fast train out of Heuston overtake slower Heuston-based stopping trains as at present? If the answer is Yes, because the Heuston stoppers can use the DART tracks, then there is the problem of conflict when they have to cross over onto the Down main at Hazlehatch.

In my opinion it might have been better to run the DART+ on the existing slow tracks, with at least 2 crossovers for changing tracks between Islandbridge and Cherry Orchard, giving some flexibility so as to minimise conflicts with Heuston traffic.

Have another look at the project drawings.

The overtaking problem will largely go away - it only exists now because slow and fast services are not segregated coming in to Heuston. The majority of Heuston-bound "slow" services are being replaced by electric trains - the electrification work also includes platforms 5,6,7,8 at Heuston, as well as the new West platforms and the PPT. That only leaves the regional commuter trains which I suspect will end up stopping only at Hazelhatch (change for DART) and Heuston: these services can use the fast lines in and out of Heuston without delaying inter city trains.

The current arrangement of slow tracks in the middle would make electrification works, and subsequent maintenance much more expensive. Placing both 1500 V tracks to one side allows pylons and cabling to be located at the outside of the railway corridor, rather than having to route it under or over the fast tracks.

Sorry what I meant was, once all the four-tracking work is done, it’ll be the northernmost 2 lines that’ll have wires.

This makes a lot of sense actually, I presume that that’s what they’ll do with regard to Hazelhatch services. Just seems a bit of an unfortunate waste of the existing track platforms at Adamstown and Hazelhatch, but I suppose they’ll still get the odd use as they are still being electrified. I know most of the services on SW will be continuing through the Phoenix Park Tunnel and on to Connolly/Spencer Dock, but I presume the odd service will go all the way to Heuston…?

• Advertisement

Also does anyone know what the plan for Glasnevin is…? I assume a mix (about half and half) of the SW and W DARTs will go to Spencer Dock and the other half south to Bray, but does anyone know will Glasnevin be getting 4 platforms…? As in 2 spanning the line to Deumcondra and 2 for the Royal Canal branch straight to Spencer Dock…? I assume (and hope) so but you’d never know…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

DART services to and from Hazelhatch will operate as a mix of services to/from Heuston or via the PPT.

As above, the regional commuter services will run non-stop on the fast lines between Hazelhatch and Heuston.

@oisinCooke The extra platform at Hazelhatch would allow a DART train to wait for an inbound regional service: ideally, when you get off one train, the connecting train is always waiting on another platform, even if your regional train was delayed.

The extra platform at Adamstown is useful if Hazelhatch becomes the only stop for regional services, as it will allow for a second inbound DART at times when the train from Hazelhatch is filled up with transfer passengers. (and in reverse in the evening peak)

The bay platforms give flexibility at times of disruption or when engineering works - better to have them than not!

Ahhh ok yes actually that makes a lot of sense I hadn’t thought about it from a perspective of DART services taking passengers off regional and some intercity services at Hazelhatch.

Speaking of which it might become useful in a post-metro world to have all inbound intercity services interconnect with DART services somewhere to allow transfer to Glasnevin and onward to the airport… Really this could be at any of the stations between Hazelhatch and Heuston however the addition of an extra 2 platforms would be ideal to minimise disruption and Adamstown or Kishogue are the best located places to construct these in terms of available space.

All planning docs are available at the links below. Glasnevin station is in the Metrolink application. Structures document book 2 of 3.

There will be two separate Dart platforms at the same level, with the Metro platforms accessible from each.

https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/railwayorder/dartwest

https://www.metrolinkro.ie/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

From aerial imagery definitely seems that Adamstown and Kishogue already have two extra platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

5 in total yes. The central 2 are the only 2 to ever be in use. The turnstiles for the outer down platform are always just left open and they never even installed any on the outer up platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Outer up platform at all those stations is essentially emergency use only surely and I'd presume was basically always planned that way (as well as providing option flexibility when upgrading to Dart)

Yes sorry, I meant even a 6th and 7th one to have 6 through platforms in Adamstown to allow some intercity trains to stop there too for DART (and onward Metro) connection but it’s probably not necessary. Was just thinking out loud

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, there are four platforms at all of the stations between Parkwest and Hazelhatch, with one on each of the running lines.

Adamstown and Hazelhatch each have an additional turnback platform allowing trains to switch direction without blocking the running lines.

Without adding any additional through platforms, stopping every train at one of the stations along this section of the line would have a seriously negative impact on the line capacity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sorry LX, I don’t follow.

If there are 2 non-stopping long distance platforms, and 2 stopping short distance ones, why would 5th and 6th platforms ever be needed?

If you are going to have every single train on the fast line stopping at Hazelhatch (for example), then that in itself reduces the number of trains that can be run on the line, as there won’t be any trains running through at line speed.

But if they all have to use the same platform then that just slows everything up even further, as trains would have to queue up to serve the station.

Say one train needed slightly longer than scheduled to stop then every train behind would have to wait. Having additional platforms allows another train to arrive while the first train departs.

The current set up works far better from a line capacity perspective as Cork trains benefit from the line speed all the way to Portlaoise, having the stopping service from Heuston feeding into them there.

Services are “flighted” to maximise line capacity - send out a couple of fast services together ahead of a stopping service.

Yeah there's no way Hazelhatch will work as an Intercity stop, unless there's at least 6x through platforms. The aim is to have hourly or half hourly to every city, plus commuter trains and Dart (a lot of trains). To do it right, it would need 6x through platforms and 2x turn back platforms (for Dart).

I hope they will do this eventually though. Changing to a commuter at Portlaoise would be insane - it's 82km from Heuston, versus 16km for Hazelhatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Any news at all expected from Dart+West RO, any indications when we could get some news?

Just realised it's 2 years old already https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/314232

😔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Indeed, it's blunder after blunder. The oral hearing is long over and there is nothing other than a rubber stamp preventing construction on west and southwest routes and then we will have judicial review potentially for years yet, by which time an 'optimised' DART expansion with battery trains in a scaled down depot might be implemented.

The sooner this 'planning system' is dismantled the better. At the very least 'oral hearing' needs to be abolished, it's a piece of compulsory-attendance theatre for the benefit of narcissistic grave-dodgers who's only joy is being heard (forcibly if need be). The only material benefit is had by the lawyers.

The only other people there are long-shot money gougers / hustlers who bought property near the railway with the supposed expectation that it'd never be heavily used or renovated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Crakepottle?

The two new tracks will be on the CIE Works side of the railway line. Some houses on Landen will lose the ends of their gardens. Its all online pardon the pun.

I couldn’t agree more, there should be no issues or problems with DART+ definitely not with SW and not too much with W or at least there’s definitely not enough potential issues to warrant this much of a self-indulgent delay from ABP with all their bulls**t…

We need a complete overhaul of how we deal with critical infrastructure in this country, projects taking this long to go from paper to shovels in the ground is unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Critical infrastructure should have a simple 6 month path through planning in which its decided a)does it comply with all the regs, b)does it put anyone out

Most likely both is yes, so then some experts decide how much compensation is required for the people who are put out by the development, they are paid and that's it. No theatre required.

Post edited by cgcsb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

What was wrong with the sole member tribunal that got the Luas up and running after years of bluff and bullsh*t? ABP is a complete black hole at present.

Advertisement