Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

its a good solution for both him and the environment.. in fairness if most of your driving can be done in ev drive.. and you do a number of longer journeys a year then how bad? newer phevs like the new tiguan can do nearly 100km and charge quicker so would be ideal for most commuters.. id be tempted myself if it didnt feel like a step backwards.. not having to think about where you might need to charge while i holiday is definitely something nice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm surprised any EVs are sold in this country when purchasers are so easily influenced by articles like this. I bought a new iPhone. I normally use an Android but all phones are the same so you can consider me an expert. Last night it was on 5% going to bed but there isn’t a socket within reach of the bed so I didn’t charge it. I had to go in to the office first thing this morning for a meeting so I had to leave the house with it on 3%. Couldn’t get a seat on the train to charge it, so couldn’t make any calls on the way to work or handle emails. Pain. Building pass is stored on the phone so I needed the phone alive to get in. Just made it with 1% to spare but stress.

Would any person after reading the above think “not a hope in hell I’m buying an iPhone” ?

i dont understand your example… you wouldnt leave the house with a car on 3%? actually it might tempt me to buy an iphone as its standby usage seems very good overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

its a good question… when i bought mine 2 years ago - i was looking at the time horizon thinking at some point ice cars would start to reduce in value for trade in purposes. i could get the grant 5k, half price tolls on the motorways, ev charger grant and access to potentially cheaper night rates.. whats the landscape now? im changing in a month to another ev, basically the same with nothing down and pcp remains the same monthly.. so thats ok.. i know the price of my ev has plummeted pretty dramatically in the 2 years but im lucky that its not impacting me changing.. if i wanted to buy something else it would.. plus when i changed in 2022 trade in prices were stupid high.. it cost me nothing to change back then either.. on a 3 year old tiguan… do i care about zero emissions? not enough for it to cost me more money than an ice car.. the single biggest thing the government could do now is to subsidise ev rates at public chargers.. cap them at 30 cents and make them significantly cheaper than petrol/diesel.. and consider ev charger retrofit grants for houses with older wiring.. a higher grant to upgrade wiring versus a new house install..

i should add that im probably in the 'early adopter' category in general for tech…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

Whats the alternative? Haven't yet come across a petrol fueled phone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

to save 25 euro on a trip you make once a year like I already said, duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah before he bought it the public charging infrastructure was woefully inadequate as well. We did try to charge my EV in the mobile home. Blew the fuse twice, once when trying to charge at 10A, once at 5A so that option was definitely out as well.

He's making the most of the EV drive and uses the petrol only as a backup, but he is the exception to be fair

The problem with the Tiguan, if he were to buy it today is most likely going to be the price. From 48k, there's much better value in EVs out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Would any person after reading the above think “not a hope in hell I’m buying an iPhone” ?

The same is could be said for all mobile phones, not just iPhones. The ICE alternative in your situation is the landline phone

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭crl84

Other than the obvious reasons for buying a new car, mostly to save money.

Most people who have, or could, buy an EV have home charging available, and aren't doing regular trips from Dublin to Belmullet. Pope does not have home charging, and his example trip is so irregular (and uncommon for people), it's basically irrelevant.

• Advertisement

No seriously. Why do people, specifically self professed enthusiasts buy BEVs over petrol cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in my case I was buying a new car anyway and there wasn't an ice vehicle that matched the spec and performance of my ev for the same price, the reduced running costs were also a factor.

I'm also pretty keen on a reduction of local harmful emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Perhaps we took to at a slower pace but when fuel prices shot up it tipped many people towards EVs, which in turn begat a period of Fear Of Missing Out, and now we're just gliding back towards some sane rate of takeup.

I do think as more new options arrive reticence will recede, but there's definitely a lot of US based anti EV news being share by Irish people just for the sake of lashing out.

I remember the anti Japanese backlash in the US in the late 80s, I was in NY when there was hysteria over the Rockafeller centre being bought by a Japanese company, whereas now Lexus is thought of as a premium brand by the same generations that once swore they'd only ever drive 'Murican. I think there was a crap Michael Douglas movie spun off that whole Yellow Peril vibe.

I think a lot of the FUD will recede will a combination of the next rage bait coming along and more people be expose to EVs via family, friends and work, just as many Murican's adapted to the reliability of Japanese cars in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That rises a couple of questions.

How does he run any electrical equipment that requires 5a.

How did you get an EV there and ( I assume back) if there are no options for charging.

It's leaving anything that's time critical to very last minute leaving no margin for errors. No one needs to make up any more analogies.

If you mean "Black Rain" that's a great movie.

As for the rest is a combination of historical racial issues and trade / industry protectionism. Remember buy Irish.

I don't think any of it is comparable to EVs adoption in Ireland. Theres a range of different issues at play. But certainly the sheer volume of anti EV articles in the media plays its part.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Ev fan

Back to my original point....... could range extenders be a better call than longer range PHEVs given that you could be in EV mode most of the time even on longer journeys- the use of petrol could be on an exceptional basis - eg going on a long journey and being tight for time. Even Toyota might come on board given that range extenders still have an engine which is their 1st 😍 love ???

I assume not everyone takes such articles at face value. But recognise it's objective is to drive clicks, it's not really trying to inform anyone about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Why do people buy an EV?

I can only give my honest assessment and I wasn't an EV enthusiast before I bought one.

Mainly the savings on fuel - I was paying around €280 per month for diesel. I'm paying around €30 for the same mileage. I use the car 3 days (I work from home the other days), and my wife uses it 3 days. She is using less than half the diesel she was using. Between the two of us, we're saving over €350 per month.

My tax was over €600. Now it's €120. My insurance was €640, now it's €305. I'm saving around €5k a year in total.

Could a PHEV have sufficed... probably, but my work commute is 130km, so perhaps not. Also, I don't see the benefit of carrying a big engine and not using it. Why have all the components of an ICE, and the associated servicing costs, when I don't need them. A range of 450km is more than enough. I go to bed and wake up to a charged car ready for another 400-plus km.

In one year, I've only publicly charged 3 times. I've been all over the country and never had an issue with range. It's literally a non-issue.

(edited due to woeful spelling and grammar as I was on the train after the match!)

Post edited by RoboRat on

• Advertisement

Yes but could you wake up in the morning without any planning drive 1000km Non stop to a wedding, towing a horse, across a muddy field, at 120km for 8hrs on a motorway to location thats 2hrs drive from any form of charging, including a domestic 3 pin socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

Does that gem actually add anything to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Baseball72

in fairness that’s a sensible rational reason to choose an ev over anything else!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I reckon he saved more than that but his process was for more views, clicks and to suit an agenda of his bosses. Silly article!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What PHEV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Exaggerated example but you are correct, I have heard people invent scenarios in their head that they'll probably never do

What about if I've to drive to west cork from Dublin?

When's the last time you had to do this? Well, never, but it might happen...

I've done that Dublin to West Cork maybe three times in my life, long time ago, once to a wedding ironically enough. ABRP tells me I can do it and hit fast DC chargers all the way, and theres at minimum AC chargers in all the destinations I've been too.

Someone posted a story on another forum about doing that in a new EV then complaining about having to charge it back up on granny cable all weekend. But as people told them, they past multiple fast DC chargers to get there.

A more recent similar journey I've done a few times (in an ICE) is Dublin north Kerry which has fewer chargers than west Cork. Bit of black spot. Where I stayed there isn't a charger within 30 mins drive. Though where I stayed there was a Tesla in the car park. So obviously some EVs are managing to get there.

While I didn't buy an EV for long distance journeys I did look at all my long distance journeys I've done in recent years to see how I'd get there in an EV. That's part of the re-adjustment to driving an EV. I could totally get why others just wouldn't have any interest in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

MG4 Long Range. It cost less than an entry-level Golf and I was happy to pay that price. I probably would have gone for a Tesla M3 or BYD Seal at the current prices, but I chose what I felt offered good value for money at the time.

To be honest, I am a bit of a petrolhead (I come from a family of mechanics) so an EV was a big change. I was concerned about range as sometimes I have to visit multiple offices in one day, so I charted my driving for 6 months and noted the mileage and costs. I was looking at another 4-5 year old Diesel but when I factored in the fuel costs an EV made sense. I never bought a new car before because I don't look at them as an investment, and I generally go for a 4-5 year-old as they offer the best value but when I put it all down on a spreadsheet, it was hard to ignore the numbers.

Wifey wasn't sold on the idea as she had heard all the FUD but I managed to convince her. It's funny, she still gets people trying to pedal the FUD, but she knows better now and loves the car. If I'm not using it, she takes it and it's saved her a lot on diesel too.

Advertisement