Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mooz

I was lucky enough to be at that enthralling spectacle on Saturday night and in my opinion, it's the best atmosphere I've ever seen in Nowlan Park for a game, including the KK vs Tipp senior game. As a neutral, it was a joy to sit back and watch the game ebb and flow. The bank holiday weekend, Saturday evening, the weather, the sell out crowd, the renewed excitement with Offaly supporters made for a most enjoyable and entertaining occasion and one which was very fitting to honour James Nowlan.

I have to say the groundsman did some job in patching up the pitch as best he could. I actually walked it during the week and again on Saturday evening and that was a good idea to use the green dye to take the awful look off it. Apart from that, the cover that was on the rest of the pitch was unblemished, lush and was like a carpet. I got talking to so many Offaly supporters and the excitement is just unreal, they really are on a high and as a hurling supporter, isn't it fantastic to see them back winning All-Ireland titles. Hopefully that continues and they make the breakthrough back to the Liam McCarthy and we get to see Adam Screeney, Dan Burke et al mix it against Kilkenny teams on the big stage in years to come. Hurling is in safe hands when you see the talent, skill and confidence of both teams on display at the U-20 grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

ye you’re right to call me out. The county board is not run by the county board but by a few people at the top table who have formed sub committees who are handpicked by the top people. The county board as a collective will have to stand up and be counted and ask the hard questions. Some of these guys are at the top table since I was a boy and I’m a big boy now and I feel that anyone new that comes in are controlled by the top people who do not trust the younger generation to do a job. Even take the situation where we are seeking ground for a centre of excellence they would only go at it half arsed instead of striving to have the best facilities in the country, imo they are light years ahead in their forward thinking. But I do see them making big progress with the appointment of Michael Fennelly and seems to be making big progress already. But just before that appointment Ciaran Muldowney wanted to implement all the things they are doing now in the academy and he resigned out of frustration. So in answer to your question the ordinary soldiers in the county board will either have to actively ask the hard questions or go about replacing the top tier with a new, younger and more dynamic top tier.

Wexford only scored three points from play they obviously had a strategy to foul them further out the field where Sean O Brien couldn’t do damage. Clare will be a hard task in the semi final. What’s the story with Galway, limping along into a semifinal? Are they going to be a danger yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

I don't disagree with you at all WB but I'll say it once and leave it at that 😊 pitch was poor at one end. I think the toilets and stands are a disgrace and to cap it all the Offaly flag was upside down 🙄

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1517053/offaly-fans-baffled-as-county-flag-is-flown-upside-down-at-u20-all-ireland-final.html

• Advertisement

they will always have the flag upside down from now on as a good luck charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

The condition of the pitch had absoulety no bearing on the u20 final it had no bearing on the Wexford Kilkenny match it looked patchy in places so what,two very good matches were played on it,one poster here comparing the pitch to the county board and standards is laughable stuff altogether.There are other issuses with Nolan Park which other posters have highlighted which need some investing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

I've disagreed with you on some of your points but you're spot on with this post

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

Kilkenny will be hard to stop at minor I think

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

You've missed the point. Everything is connected. If you dont see that......we are already on the back foot. Training, facilities, S&C, fund raising, fixtures scheduling, knowledge of rules and eligibility, the sponsors, opposition analysis, communication with clubs, minding the playing surface of our county ground.

It was one glaring example which was on show for whole country this time though.....there are plenty of others, but this was one I was particularly sore about because we went out of our way to ensure a commemorative all ireland final and mark the occasion where everything should be perfect. We done great on the day(obviously issues with some public facilities like toilets aside as pointed out by others), but dropped the ball in the lead up regarding gig/fixture schedules beforehand not taken into account. To me that's a drop in standards and no one owned up.....with many saying....its grand.

Just look at Offaly....getting their house in order. Getting a little success after sorting standards across the organisation of hurling. Even they are still making mistakes (re tickets).....but they hold hands up when they're made, and it wont be made again I'd say.

But I know not everyone will agree with me.

I won't comment on it anymore. I hope lessons learned going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Totally agree. The Celtic Final was played on the same surface yesterday and absolutely no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

No one could predict 9 months of rain. The concert was set over 6 months earlier. Most May's your eye would be cut out if you with the dust and they would be watering the pitch. Give it a rest I was in the park for all 3 events. All 3 were great occasions and much needed funds for the county board and local businesses.

A few years ago Nowlan park was feted twice as pitch of the year and all the big boys came forward to collect the accolades where are they when things go wrong. Now I would agree with all previous posters that the pitch had no bearing on the results of the last three matches held in the park but it looked fierce bad on the aerial camera Saturday night. On the commemoration of James Nowlan I thought it was shocking there was little or no planning the one time they should have formed a committee, they didn’t I thought it should have been a huge fanfare with a commemorative jersey but again it was piecemeal the county board are not selling their products only recently where they started to give results for inter county underage challenge matches. Like someone alluded to earlier Offaly had the right idea about how to get the crowds in like buses from all the clubs to bring young people to the matches,a simple idea and I hope they bring a crowd to Dublin next Saturday for the Joe Mc Donagh match against Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 16 neverbet

As far as I know nobody on the county board is on a salary? There are many things they can do better, but they do a lot right. It's easy come on here and slate them , have you ever considered taking on a role yourself. You sound like you would move mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gaafanatic

As an Offaly fan, it was a really joyous occasion in Kilkenny on Saturday last.
    Supporters young and old hugging, cheering and crying at the final whistle.

I’ve seen comments on Facebook and Twitter saying we’ve gone overboard, but to a small county like ourselves, Saturday meant absolutely everything.
    I met people on the pitch afterwards that I’ve never dreamt I’d see at a match and older people who were probably consigned to never seeing the Offaly hurlers win another All Ireland.
    And as you all know too well, there just isn’t anything quite as sweet as beating Tipp!

On the issue of the venue, I must commend Kilkenny GAA.
    Ample stewards and policing in force throughout the game and afterwards. There were a bunch of 10-12 young stewards who walked across the pitch at half time, looked perhaps like members of the Kilkenny minor team? If so, fair play to them for helping out.

With regards to the pitch, it wasn’t in great shape at the O’Loughlin Gaels end and that was very clear watching the game back on TG4 player.

However, everything else makes up for that and there is no other venue that would have suited it better.
    However, the national anthem singer left a bit to be desired. 😬
    The atmosphere was amazing and I think Thurles is the only place that could have rivalled it.

I find the Gaelic Grounds to be a rather soulless venue.

Laois GAA had set the bar extraordinarily low for hosting a big game at the Leinster u20 final last week, so fair play to Kilkenny for not making the same mistakes.

I hadn’t been to Kilkenny city too many times before, but it really is gorgeous. The pubs and restaurants will surely be hoping for our return soon enough. O’Loughlin Gaels stewards said that they parked approx 800 cars @ €5 a pop. I’d imagine there bar sales were even higher.

With regards to next Saturday in Croke Park, I’d be interested to hear who Kilkenny people will shout for in the Joe McDonagh? Would the Laois rivalry be intense or would the fanfare around Offaly and our relative success (compared to Laois) sway people away from us?

Kilkenny hurling has been very much admired in Offaly during our barren times.
    We would always have shouted for Kilkenny against most (or all) teams and an interview with Adam Screeney from last week echoed this where he said he was brought up going to Kilkenny games and chasing TJ’s autograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wouldn't normally have a preference between offaly and laois personally, two leinster teams that I'd like to see consistently competitive. The ideal would be to have both counties get to a level of being competitive in leinster, to a point where they would force a change in the structure of the championship (two groups of four for the round robin). In the medium term though, offaly obviously have huge momentum coming out of last week and that team will presumably be the foundation for offalys senior teams in the next five or six years, and for them to progress it would be fantastic if they could get into, and stay in, the Bob O'Keefe for a few years until the lads who make the step up to senior get properly bedded in. So, yeah I'm hoping offaly do the business this weekend. Hope ye bring a good big crowd to support them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Maybe they could blame him for 'destroying' the pitch also ?? seeing that he was there , dancing in the park ……….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The referee made a bad call last saturday looking at a straight red card incident coughed out of it. You have to wonder how Killian Doyle felt looking at it. As regards Nowlan park no gaa grounds have good toilet facilates may be Cork , Croke park. Next sunday any news on injuries, walking up high street sunday would i have seen M Carey on crutches in a boot hope i am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NCNewb

Looks like John Donnelly is out for the rest of the season which is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Disaster…our player of the year so far and has become a real leader on this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

I heard he needs a operation but he is going to try hold it off and he will play. Mikey Carey in bother alright. Getting a scan today he is in a boot

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shane Murphy should come back to replace Carey with Eoin Wall in the forwards if John Donnelly iis missing. Leaves us very bare on the bench with Wally and Harry Shine as forward subs and Fogarty plus Buckley subs in the backs

Shane Murphy may not be fit to play either is what I'm being told.

Very hard to see mikey Carey being fit which is a big loss because he has pace something we lack. Lyng should learn from last year and not make a few changes for one position upsetting the whole team. Deegan is mr versatile and he could slot into wing back although I would like to see molloy get a go if he was fit and leave deegan midfield. I don't think corcoran has the legs because Dublins game is all about running and pace is needed. Donnelly will play is what I'm hearing and Mullen will also be fit. Tom phelan could be under pressure. This is a must win match for kk and avoiding Cork. Great that marty Murphy is called in although he is only starting the leaving cert tomorrow I'd be surprised if he hasn't a long future with kk seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I like Marty but dont agree with dragging players doing the LC in at this late stage.

And if you were bringing one LC in, it would be Jeff Neary for me, as cover for Tommy Walsh.

• Advertisement

Next year's u20 crop should be decent again. Offaly of course will be favourites and although they might seem meaningless competitions I watched the u19s and they have a few good hurlers and although a big jump the 17s are one step from getting to a all ireland. We will have chaps getting exposed to adult hurling this summer who could thrive. Brian dowling is getting success and should be in the running for minor or u20 he knows most of the chaps from kierans. Tom mullally is a top class coach and before he is snapped up he should be contacted to see is he staying with cw. There's plenty ex hurlers unproven yes but they have to start somewhere and gortha,Brian hogan,Richie power,Michael rice,paddy mullally,conor phelan,herity,eddie brennan and many more are involved here and different counties,club and county so Richie hogan is one I'd get involved. The u20 is a attractive job without the big money and id be surprised if lads wouldn't take this with the big job in the pipeline in a few years. It's not like years ago lyng won't be there for 20 years.

Interesting to hear Richie hogan recently talking about drennan how he might be better suited to center forward.its an awful pity he has slipped down the ladder he was our best u20 player 2 years ago he is a good bit down the pecking order now but he is still young to be fair we will have to have more patience.

Advertisement