Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was looking for a racing game to bounce off and reinstalled Dirt Rally 2 asi loved DR 1 but never gave 2 a proper chance. Playing or again, I'm just not feeling it, think it's the auto generated tracks feel very generic. Went to reinstall DR 1 and couldn't find it on the store. Googled it and it was delisted but i can still download it from my library which I'm just doing but it's mad how games can completely disappear (digitally).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Quick spin of DR1 and it's definitely superior to 2. The ai is ridiculous to beat but the driving is so much more tense and engaging. Can only imagine it in vr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero, if you have PS+ Extra you should give Assetto Corsa Competizione a go. It's a very good GT track racer.

Never played that, might give it a look thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So first there's native ports of N64 games to PC. Now a native port of a PS2 game. Hope there's a lot more of these because PS2 emulation is still quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The new WRC is great. Prob the best rally game since DR1

Saw there were a LOT of WRC games but the latest EA WRC leads with 'from the makers of Dirt Rally' so definitely a good sign. Will check it out when it drops in price a bit.

Yeah the EA one. They bought up code masters and got the licence . so the EA Sports WRC is essentially dirt 6 ( the dirt numbering is all over the place 😂).

And it's on sale today for 15 on psn which seems a very good price. Looked at a few reviews and all mention performance issues like stutters which doesn't sound great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You have to take Famitsu reviews with a massive bowl of salt but SMTV sounds like a massive improvement on an already great game.

A lot of that was ironed out, I didn't really notice it. But at the same time I'm usually speeding off into the ditch any way 🤣

They are still releasing new content too.

Hhmm I'm not sure if I'm looking to compete against other racers and not just solo like Rally. Gonna try Assetto Cornetto Competitzione and see what that's like.

Answer the man Geoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

All this talk of rally games got me thinking of Colin McRae rally, I used to love that I think I'm right in saying that was the original of the 3D genre? Great game and a great rally driver too.

Edit: I see Dirt is Colin McRae, rebranded. That makes sense now!

Yeah it started out as Colin McRae Dirt Rally and I think rebranded to just dirt after he died. Great game on PS1. Played it for hours.

Would play that then drive to the arcade on the Ennis road get the top score on sega rally then drive home for more dirt.

Maaaaan, the same! I used to love McCrea Rally 1 and then Sega rally in the arcade was just incredible. Good times, simple times...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That was some game. Great cheat codes too. Turning into a flying DeLorean, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was a fan of Colin McRae, but my jam back then were the V-Rally games, specifically V-Rally 97. Played that game to death! Back when I could finish tracks…

Dirt 1 in VR was great. WRC got a VR update but only on PC I think not PSVR2.

Reading up on it today, the general consensus is that Dirt Rally 2 has the better driving and physics while ea WRC has better career and content so think I'll give DR 2 another go.

Also finished Resi 3 remake, took 6 hours and i quite enjoyed it. Bit soulless and lacking atmosphere but Jill was a bad ass and i never felt like i didn't have the resources to take on each area, nice palette cleanser.

Now to focus on Elden Ring end game to prepare for the dlc and dabble in a bit of dirt rally. Oh, also want to try Streets of Rage 4 (ps plus) as that seems to be getting rave reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished the rather wonderful Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. Think a weirdo, puzzle-obsessed, combat-free take on the classic Resident Evil formula, with bold visual ideas and a narrative playfulness. Indeed, while it's not really a survival horror game itself, it does feel like a more adventerous and imaginative homage to the genre than many contemporary attempts to do the same (even the successful ones).

One of the most distinctive art designs I've encountered, and also one of the most versatile. When I say it's like Resi 1, it also contains the most striking and eerie PS1 graphical (and control scheme) homages I've seen. It uses fixed camera angles to really frame some extraordinary imagery, but also is very cheeky with how it mixes that up throughout.

The puzzles initially seem largely focused around combination locks and simple maths puzzles - the info is somewhere in the world, and you need to put it in the right place. That remains the basic formula, but it evolves to more elaborate, mansion-wide puzzles over the course of the game too. What really makes it interesting is how gradually the writing starts to meld with the puzzles. Without giving too much away, recurring patterns, numbers and motifs start to take on great resonance, and in the latter half of the game understanding of the events alluded to in the documents and stories you uncover begins to grow a lot more important.

Anyway, don't want to say too much, as it's a big, generous game that's worth meeting on its own terms (and thankfully there's some helpful guides out there that hint rather than tell for when you do need a nudge in the right direction). Simogo have done it once again, as I never doubted they would.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

With over 22 days of playtime, I have officially unlocked the last achievement for Civilization 6. I'd say a fair amount of that was just when I left the game running as I went and did something else, but even so….. That's a lot. On Xbox. Because I've also played it on PC….. and switch…

Anyway, on to the back log! A Plague Tale 2 is up first, already about half way through it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oof: had realised my old favourite Team Fortress 2 had fallen so low; depressing to see a former great in this state & valve leaving it rot...

Streets of Rage 4 surprised me with how good it is and it's gotten so much better with a very generous selection of characters.

I was waiting on the Johnny ultimate review. Sounds really good and heard it described as being like Sudan51's Flower Sun Rain, not like I'd know what it's like as not played that!

Halo remaster rumoured to be coming g to PlayStation. That is some turn of events, if true.

https://www.eurogamer.net/halo-combat-evolved-remaster-reportedly-in-the-works-being-considered-for-playstation-release

Id they do remake it I want them to improve the second half of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A senior designer at MS has seemingly poured cold water on the news, although I'm pretty sure some XB people did that when Hifi Rush was first touted as going multiplat also. Whatever the truth is, this doesn't look great for Microsoft, imo - we had the same crap 6 months ago and it looks like in all that time they still haven't internally agreed on a strategy. We'll have this multiplat debate every time they announce a new game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure why it's a debate really, some games are going to go multiplatform, and Halo was always one of the more likely ones. MS are still desperate to break into the live services games, and live service games only make sense when on as many platforms as possible. Infinite had a lot of early promise there, with the game eventually dying off because the Devs literally couldn't support it. The engine being cumbersome, along with insanely stupid hiring practices at 343 being the main culprits.

Anyway, makes sense that it's a remake, they need a single player aspect to it that is low risk, and nothing is lower risk than remastering a popular game, but in reality, this is just a vehicle for them to launch/relaunch their attempt at a Live Service Halo multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

it would be great if they could come up with a game that would actually sell a system somewhat. What was the last thing on Xbox that you’d wish was also on ps. Fable? Sea of thieves?

• Advertisement

Yeah there is a real lack of strategy. While PS are selling games on PC with a clear intention to entice gamers over to the console to buy the sequels, Xbox come across as just desperate to make money.

Advertisement