Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí to allow the public upload Dash Cam footage from approx. 2026 via online portal

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

I'll keep that in mind, but I have this belief that if I don't have one I don't need one.

I know it's superstitious but it works for me. Like people not walking under ladders etc.

So for now I be OK without one. For now!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have this belief that if I don't have one I don't need one.

You never need one until you do need one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i too, plan on never being crashed into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

See the video I posted above of the cyclist throwing himself onto the car bonnet. There are plenty of other videos where a driver (with a dashcam) is completely in the right when another person causes an accident and the other person immediately starts claiming the dashcam driver was in the wrong. If that happens to you, you will be glad you had the dashcam rather than a "he said/she said" scenario.

An example:

Plenty of scammers out there too "brake-checking" or pulling handbrakes to have the person behind them run into the back of them for the lovely compo

You are starting to convert me!

Yes it's something I will definitely consider getting soon but I suppose my point being I don't want to live in a society where everyone is recording each other and it's encouraged or incentivized. That just seems so wrong so draconian in my opinion but I understand like you said loads of chancers and scammers out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I actually don't have one myself on the car but I keep meaning to get one. I actually have one on a tractor as cars often overtake dangerously and I don't want to be in a situation where I would be accused of causing an accident because some impatient person couldn't wait 2 seconds and overtakes dangerously and either gets into a head-on collision or cuts back in across me in a panic when they realise they have just tried to pass out something that is 40' long when they couldn't see around that bend up ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've considered getting one for the bike but given the stories I've heard anecdotally about gardai giving people the runaround, I've not done anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Eh no. The facts don't change, despite your best spinning efforts.
    The 'busybodies' aren't doing any policing. They're doing reporting. Police are doing the policing.
    Maybe you could confirm the full scope of crimes that people shouldn't be reporting to police. If I see a lad climbing out of your kitchen window with a Tesco back full of phones and jewellery, should I call the police, or would that make me a busybody? If I see someone assaulting one of the women in your life, a daughter or wife or sister, outside a pub, should I call the police, or would that make me a busybody?

What facts? I never even mentioned 'facts' not once. It's all my opinion and anecdotal stuff from my life experience. What bloody 'facts' are you even talking about?

Police this and that, presume you must be in the UK pal we have Gardai here not police.

If you live in Ireland why bother calling the British police? What the hell has assaults on women outside pubs got to do with people sharing dashcam footage? Two completely unrelated things altogether.

And I'm the one spinning apparently eh! Pot/kettle/black.

I even said to Donald Trump I'm considering getting a dashcam and coming around to his way of thinking so I'm very willing to change opinion but it's my OPINION that most of the reporting will be done by busybody bad driver types that doesn't mean there is some good merit to dashcams but pros and cons to everything in life.

• Advertisement

if every time i went out for a walk for half an hour or more, someone endangered me or came uncomfortably close to harming me, and when i went to report it to the gardai, their response was 'well, it's your word against theirs'; no-one would say boo to me if i decided to wear a body cam.

i'd love it if the behaviour on the roads was good enough, or they policed well enough, that cameras were moot or redundant. but people choose to use them for self protection, it's not quite as proactive as sticking a camera on a pole on o'connell street and feeding it into a facial recognition system.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭ARX

Maybe I should tell the Old Bill An Garda Síochána that they're not in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For your own sake, I would get one as even if you do nothing but have it their passively recording, it means that if someone does something stupid in front of you causing a collision involving you, the they said / you said which can drag out disappears. I rarely report stuff from my dashcam but there have been some close calls, which I am just a statistic that they didn't hit me. I might report a small bit more if the portal goes up but I won't be adding any great effort into it. I simply don't have the time but even if the added fear is there that someone might get reported is a huge benefit in my mind, there is no concern out there at the minute. If I was to point out I had a dashcam, they are as likely to punch me as they are to walk away. I have one for cycling as well but its a bit like house insurance, it is not for the small things, I don't upload to youtube and I don't report to the Gardai for the small things because it is just not worth the time or effort. It is there for the time that a life altering injury occurs, that I have the proof of what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

I can see so many implications in this, breaches of privacy, gdpr, recording and submitting without consent. People aren’t the gards and its not their job. If garda want to implement this system, then they better get the finger out.
    Irish drivers are a feking disaster anyway. Hogging fast lanes, driving under the speed limit only causing more danger by people getting annoyed and then undertaking, swapping lanes. This is one thing it should be fixed asap. In any other country this just doesn’t happen, but morons here say well im driving the speed limit and F everyone else.
    Then you have useless garda doing nothing when it comes to crime. Road policing and fines its the easiest option for them, and now the citizens can do their work and snitch. World is falling apart.

breaches of privacy,

You have no privacy when in a public place

gdpr,

This is allowed under GDPR FFS 🙄

recording and submitting without consent

You think you need consent from someone you think may be breaking the law before you can report them? Are you serious?

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

if people want privacy when driving, they shouldn't be driving on public roads.

• Advertisement

The facts are that reporting an offence is not policing or busting. It is just reporting - same as reporting a burglary or reporting an assault. What is it about traffic crimes that makes you think they shouldn't be reported?
    It wouldn't be, by any chance, and this is a long shot, that you routinely break the speed limit or use your phone at the wheel, would it?

I think you need to make your self familiar with GDPR and how it works. You might be recording in public fine, but when it comes to identifying and submitting such data then come the implications as now you become a data processor. This will be a very complex issue and solicitors will have a field day.
    All the info can be found online.

I think you need to make your self familiar with GDPR and how it works. You might be recording in public fine, but when it comes to identifying and submitting such data then come the implications as now you become a data processor. This will be a very complex issue and solicitors will have a field day. 
    All the info can be found online.

When you looked at the info online, did you miss the household exemption for GDPR?

There is absolutely no GDPR issue in giving a recording of a potential offence to the gardai. The amount of sh1te some people come out with when it comes to GDPR is unreal!

• Advertisement
Advertisement