Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the transport operators share fares?

Options
  • 04-06-2024 4:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I tried to find some information about this online but haven't been able.

Say you take a Luas from A to B. Now you get on a bus at B within 90 mins — this costs you €0 extra, but does the bus operator somehow then share the original €2 with the Luas operator? Or do they get €0 and it is just assumed it all balances out?

Or do the PSO operators simply get paid a fixed amount for operating a route as defined by the NTA?

(All the above of course assuming you correctly tags on and off at the appropriate times etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Each operator gets paid a fixed amount based on the amount of passengers they've carried (with deductions for cancellations etc.), which is part of the reason why you're still expected to scan your leap card for each subsequent journey within the 90 minutes even if you've already paid the fare on a previous mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Eh, I wouldn't be so certain of that anymore. Unless I'm misinformed, the bus Operators are now paid a fee per mileage run, regardless of pax carried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Sorry yes that is the case for bus operators, my bad! The NTA still want to keep track of the number of passengers as well though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Thanks guys. So the bus operators don't get paid directly per passenger carried anymore, while perhaps the Luas operator does?

Do we know if the Short Hop fare of €1.30 makes any difference to the income of any operator?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Luas doesn't get paid directly either, neither does DART, they are all covered under PSO contracts with the NTA. Actually Luas had this setup since the start, almost 20 years ago, while it is relatively new to buses.

I'm not sure why you are asking if it makes a difference to the operator? It makes a difference to the NTA and the financing viability of all these services. Not paying the correct fare is theft and you could get a fine from an inspector. Plus drivers do tend to keep an eye out for people paying the short fare and going further. Most people just pay the €2, so it is notable when someone asks for a short fare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement