Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty major public meltdown

Comments

As far as I'm aware Gemma O'Doherty used to be a rational being and not the madcap version we see today.

She's not well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, I don't think she is well. And while she shouldn't be encouraged in any way, she is more to be pitied than ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

'Look, the claim was that she unjustly calls her opponents pedophiles'

Opponents? You do realize she isn't a politician? Moving goalposts? Says you who completely fabricates someone's job to suit their narrative! She was never an elected politician in fact so how are politicians her opponents? Don't feel bad we all saw it coming and you were destined to do so. But it's playing a losing hand, you've lost the argument, and no-one needs to take you seriously now. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An utterly disingenuous post. If they aren't her opponents why is she going around insulting them and campaigning against them? Semantic games are an obvious sign you've lost the argument and you know it.

So anyone can go around saying that some of Gemma O'Dohertys supporers are paedos. I'm going to say that you are a Gemma O'Doherty supporter, of at least some of her agenda, as is obvious from your posts jumping to her defence while showing zero concern for the victims of her conduct. We're not going to name which of them are though. So neither directly implicate you by name OR exonerate you.

But that's all grand according to the logic in your earlier post, because nobody has actually named which of her supporters are paedos. Can just leave that insinuation hanging there, with you in scope of it. They haven't unjustly named anyone as a paedo. This is all based on the 'logic' expressed by you in your posts in defending Gemma going around casting aspersions about paedo politicians - so it would be utterly hypocritical for you to object to such an insinuation against yourself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That you would think even for a second that politicians are the only people with opponents is - quite frankly - entirely disengenious. Transparently so. When I said not to feel bad about playing such a losing hand, I didn't mean to keep doing it.

You're done on this one Frumy. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭elperello

G O'Doherty may not have been an elected politician but it wasn't for want of trying.

She sought nomination to run for President.

She stood in a European Parliament election and ran in twice for election to Dail Eireann.

She also went about setting up some sort of political party.

Safe to describe her as a political activist.

Sorry, Frumy. But no, just… no. You've driven your coach-and-four down a rhetorical cul-de-sac, and hit a brick wall. Time to stop cracking the whip and reverse gingerly.

Maybe you'll have better luck with another approach. But do try to put more effort in next time. I mean subtle effort, not… whatever that post was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Word games won't help you here.

The claim you made was that she wasn't calling people she didn't like paedophiles.

She does, quite reguarly, and she quite clearly did in the video.

Pretty simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Whatever happened to Godwins Law? Oh yeah that's right people started disagreeing with the establishment so spurious claims of fascism had to be allowed in the absence of reasonable argument.

I'm not a Gemma O Doherty supporter no perhaps you good for you. I don't even know what it means to be a 'supporter' of a journalist. I thought you could just read what they wrote define supporting a journalist? Like how do you support her?

The only person I have ever seen her name as a paedophile is John McClean who was convicted in a court of being one. If you have evidence on the contrary please provide it. If she named politicians they could sue her quite easily and win quite easily as you well know.

It's interesting to note the victims of John said without her he would have never faced justice. Bizarrely and alarmingly people like you have a real problem with her naming and getting serial paedophiles convicted as I've never seen her mention names apart from his and only his and he was convicted of being one! I mean it should be easy to find other names considering she records her livestreams and interactions no less so you must have plenty of people she accuses of these heinous things by name. If you have evidence on the contrary please provide it and I will gladly be corrected; you being a supporter of hers won't find it hard to find such videos.

• Advertisement

Your posts demonstrate otherwise, or else why are you jumping in trying to defend her and her reprehensible conduct?

It talks like a duck etc etc and if someone posts like a supporter of hers, then it is reasonable to state that.

You're trying to contradict actual video evidence of her going around accusing politicians of being paedos. If she had any actual evidence why hasn't she presented it? She has none and she knows it, so she is just casting aspersions, and here you are, defending her ability to tarnish the reputation of all politicians with such slurs. Clearly the actions we would expect from a Gemma O'Doherty supporter.

Desperate stuff. You've lost that argument entirely so now you've resorted to whataboutery and semantic games.

And as multiple posters have pointed out, your semantic games have completely failed also with nonsense about 'opponents' - she is a failed politician who stood for election. Again, clearly the actions we would expect from a Gemma O'Doherty supporter, trying to drag the thread down a semantic rathole.

If you are not a Gemma O'Doherty supporter \ defender, then maybe you should reflect on what you are doing here with your posts.

So she's clearly going around calling people paedos, rolling out semantics and whataboutery isn't going to convince anyone otherwise when the evidence is there for all to see.

Cool.

And will you also confirm that she accuses people of being "paedophiles" in the video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lets be very clear here @Frumy: this is what you regard as "journalism".

Yawn. So you have no evidence of names aside from the one paedophile she did name and she did help get convicted by being the only person to get together and interview all his victims (those that are still alive) I stand by my point. She's too cute/shrewd to name names and when she does she damn well has the evidence like that Terenure College paedophile John McClean.

the whole people thing? My point on that was incredibly simple but again you twist and manipulate it. I was simply stating if no one is named no one is slandered or defamed. I'm not saying what she did is right or wrong or whatever I'm simply stating this is the case. Which it is!

I'm no fan of the far right in fact I even started a thread proving 'The Irish People's party is full of thugs and criminals but wouldn't her 'supporters' support these 'nationalist' or 'far right' parties? Why not?

Her supporters are all left wing now is it? Gimme a break.

What you people desperately fail to understand is my point on dichotomous thinking, seeing everything in extreme black and extreme white. I can agree with her on some things and disagree with her massively on other things but you all fail to realize that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Any one saying anything positive about this nasty unhnged creature is really outing them selfs

people who think she is a legitimate political or journalistic voice are heading down the same **** rabbit hole that she is trapped in

she is is clearly in need of long term mental health treatment and possibly isolation as she has been the cause of at least one death and likely more

Are you still trying to deny she was calling politicians paedos? Desperate stuff.

The hill you're going to stand and fight on defending Gemma O'Doherty is that she didn't name them?

Where's her evidence then?

It is plain in not naming them, aspersions are cast about all politicians.

It is still a scurrilous conduct, and you defend it.

So you agree it is ok to go around with such scurrilous accusations without evidence? Grand. I think we can all see the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of her tactics and your posts defending them.

And they are her opponents, she stood for election and lost. Another desperate semantic argument you tried and abjectly failed to make stick in her defence.

So exactly as I wrote in my earlier post, you are a supporter of at least some of her agenda.

And here you are defending her scurrilous tactics.

And you've expressed exactly zero concern for the victims of her conduct, either these scurrilous rumours OR her other vindictive campaign against grieving families.

And yes, it is very simple to see what your are doing here.

You said "I'm not saying what she did is right or wrong."

Well why not? That would be "incredibly simple" to do, but nope, all we get are semantics and whataboutery.

So by not doing so, and engaging in such tactics, the impression you create is that you think such conduct is ok, and it is entirely reasonable to criticise your posts along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭scottser

Jaysus, that's a lot of crazy right there.

Jews started the famine… she should really google 'The British Relief Organisation'.

And you've expressed exactly zero concern for the victims of her conduct-

What victims?

Like 'expressing concern' for victims on a online forum is going to do what exactly anyway?

Do you honestly think people have nothing better to do than read boards.ie? People have life's you know!

Perhaps you can 'express concern' for the victims of the Terenure college abused boys?

You currently have expressed zero concern now that I think about it

More of what @Frumy regards as "journalism"

• Advertisement

You mean like this earlier post from you 'expressing concern' about the importance of 'context' in relation to the video posted in the OP?

Desperate desperate stuff. It didn't take long for you to utterly contradict and belittle your own posts did it? Hardly needs the rest of us to pick it about when you do so yourself.

How about you go back and re-read this post in light of your comments.

And for those who feign ignorance of Gemma O'Dohertys vile conduct…

Publisher Gemma O'Doherty has told the High Court that a case taken against her over her alleged harassment of the mother of a young man who died by suicide is part of a targeted campaign funded by third parties who are out to silence her.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0410/1442818-gemma-odoherty/

I typed she's a journalist and how can I consider this publication journalism if I've never seen it ever in my life? I've even asked you for a link to the publication but you are incapable of even sending a link so you keep bizarrely sending screenshots of it.

I also typed I haven't seen this publication you are very fond of and you keep posting.

May I ask do you read anything else outside of The Irish Light?

How is it a slight on me if you reference publications I haven't seen but you read and you screenshot? You are trying to knock me for things you read? How does that work?

You certainly don't read my posts I've already told you I've never seen this publication you are very fond of. Keep posting screenshots of your favorite The Irish Light what the hell do I care. Knock yourself out! 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Gemma also has victims fyi. She started naming individuals and claiming the COVID vaccine killed them. That's incredibly distressing to the family's that had to put up with it. In her career, previously she may have brought attention to serious issues however her actions in recent years has been atrocious and dangerous.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/05/28/high-court-action-against-gemma-odoherty-over-image-linking-teenagers-death-to-vaccine/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

@Frumy have a look at this video

https://x.com/DUPleader/status/1652105877325742081

Anyone who thinks this is "journalism" has serious mental issues.

Accusations of pedophilia? Check

Named individual? Check

You're done on this one, @Frumy The mask hasn't just slipped, you're tripping over it.

Hi @Frumy

Could you confirm that you watched the video and also confirm that she accuses people of being "Paedophiles" in said video? You seem to have ignored my straight-forward question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also stinks of some homophobia too in terms of claiming that about a gay politician....

You may see a psychotherapist so; it's only you seeing this reading this and screenshotting this.

I've asked you repeatedly for the link and nah. Nothing but screenshots from your favorite publication. You have extensive knowledge of it you really do.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement