Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I can honestly say I wouldn't recognise her myself… Also yesterday in the crescent, they're clearly targeting the retired population. The minster might have been better off in Dublin doing her actual job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

well if he is far more concerned with he town and ind est he should say so , but his poster say for a rail to the airport etc

The problem for FG and Daniel Butler is that there is already 3 very strong FG-ish candidates out there running as indies.

Helen O Donnell - Husband of the late Tom O Donnell, former TD minister, and MEP for FG

John Moran - Businessman until selected by Michael Noonan as Head of Banking at the Department of Finance and eventually becoming the Secretary General

Dee Ryan - Currently FF but canvased for Michael Noonan back in the day.

I imagine Butler was down the pecking order but as most of the higher profile candidates weren't interested he was pushed into it

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

As previously stated, the Mayoral Count does not start till Monday.

However, the boxes have to opened and the votes for the various polls segregated on Saturday morning so assuming that there are tally "persons" present, I imagine that they will be taking a keen interest in the mayoral votes and perhaps we will have some trends by lunchtime.

On Monday itself, as there is only one "seat to fill", there will be no surpluses to distribute so there will be progressive eliminations, which tend to take less time than choosing and distributing surpluses.

I am guessing too that unless MQ comes in with a huge lead (12,000 to 15,000, assuming a quota of 45,000) in the first count, it will be settled by transfers between DB, DR, HO'D and JM but I wouldn't like to call it yet.

It's a great pity that there hasn't been an opinion poll but sampling the views of 2,000 - 3,000 people costs money that the local media don't have and there is minimal national interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Very, very ambitious and very very over optimistic. You only have to look at the record of infrastructure construction in the country. It's taking between 10 and 15 years from project conception to opening. It's takes 2-3 years for design a good 2 years in planning, then it needs to be financed, put out to tender and finally built. This isn't even something thats been agreed to, so not even initial design has taken place. Meade is telling people what they want to hear.

I'll go back to main point that the DEM will not have any powers to get any national infrastructure project built. And definitely not in a different county. Saying that he can get it done is BS electioneering on the highest order that he knows he can't deliver on.

Butler couldn't deliver the LNDR either BTW as 1) Eamonn Ryan won't allow it to be built and 2) it's a Co. Clare project

• Advertisement

At the 2020 GE there was about 92,000 valid votes between the city and county. This would put the quota at 46,000

Of the 14 other candidates MQ is most likely to get transfers from 4 of them. Sarah Beasley, Elisa O'Donovan, Caitríona Ní Chatháin and Ruairi Fahy. Maybe some from Frankie Daly as an anti-govt vote but I don't think any of the above will be major vote getters and will be eliminated in the early rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Dee Ryan is the current favourite for some reason. Helen O'Donnell had been after being endorsed by JP McManus. Moran and Butler are also contenders, if you take the bookies odds as the single metric.

Yes they are all FGish candidates and that might make the early rounds interesting. Afaik Helen O'Donnell was intended to be the FG candidate until she decided not to be at the last minute. The level of harrassment against Butler makes this understandable I guess. Threats against him and his family. Great replacement theory nutjobs are targetting a lot of FG politicians.

Elisa O'Donovan says she was victimized by people making whatsapp classify her number as spam. I'm a little skeptical because afaik the only way this can happen is if people you've actually messaged report your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I know you can report someone and it sends the last five messages in chat with your report. I'd assume if enough people kept reporting your number even without any messages sent WhatsApp might do something maybe.

It would only be possible by people she actually messaged though, right? And surely whatsapp would review it before making a permanent ban? Iirc she had to get a new number, which suggests a permanent ban. It seems more likely that she was just spam texting than that she was targetted in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No as long as someone is a contact in your phone you can report them whether you've messaged each other or not. Would assume though that WhatsApp surely wouldn't ban you unless you broke their terms and conditions.

I'd take all the bookies favourites with a pinch of salt... Only one poll matters and that's the one for Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

The older people are great to get out and vote so I wouldn't knock them. Plus, there's a lot more than old people in the SC - people of all ages from a wide area come there so it's actually a good place to canvas during the day when people are probably not at home. Jennifer Carroll is married to former Irish rugby fullback Hugo McNeill - people of a certain vintage might remember him from the 80's. Not sure why I'm sharing that nugget of info but we all like a bit of 'celeb' news I suppose.

There are new posters up for DB, particularly (for some reason😀) in the vicinity of Bobby Byrne's public house).

I don't think that the cartoon-like image does him any favours at all.

If anything it resembles something you would have seen on a gable-end in Leningrad or Leipzig in the early fifties with an accompanying propaganda slogan underneath!

A few months back, I was expecting La Byrne herself to run.

The Byrnes don't own the pub anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

Helen O'Donnell was never in contention for the FG ticket. They might have wanted her, but she was very intent on going Independent for it because of her background in community work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They can't be as bad as the gigantic Frankie Daly ones on the back of the road signs down O'Connell St.

At the Killmallock roundabout a stencil and power hose have been used to write Vote Frankie Daly No1 onto walls multiple times.

If the owners of the walls (Irish Rail?/ Council?) haven't consented, then isn't that criminal damage (albeit reversible)?

It sounds like an act of desperation and somewhat ironic given the specific reference to environmental issues in the mayoral remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

They've done the same along the footpaths in Hospital. Some businesses not happy as one cafe had a sign up saying they have no affiliation with him and wanted it removed from outside their business. Not sure what the local Tidy Towns committee will make of it.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's the the lads who power hose the streets getting their revenge seeing as O'Donnell called them useless and Daly the only one stood up for them 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

hes done the same on O'Callaghan Strand by cleeves

On pavement in Murroe also. Done noisily in the night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Bear in mind today, the 2012 dept of Finance USC tax 'hasn't gone away you know'.

The economy has recovered well though.

Solutions to the problems caused by the housing bubble were never going to be painless. However, they were successful.

Being prepared to do what you see as the best thing over the popular thing is a positive trait.

Not surprising that he is the only mainstream candidate other than Leddin who seems to have a clear vision. My impression of the rest is a jumble of soundbites of popular opinions. Gosh that hospital is in an awful state yadda yadda yadda.

I presume this is in relation to candidate John Moran who advised the USC and the closure of the A&E's? The man hand picked by Michael Noonan for the position but definitely independent

There's no such thing as an true independent amongst the front runners in any election in Ireland. They will all be closer to one party or another.

Buts still independent compared to a candidate who has to take orders from or show off to the national party.

An independent with close links to the party will have a lot of the same policies and might be tempted to join said party

They might or like O'Brioin or Donnelly might switch from one party to another after being elected.

Or a party member might go independent or form a new party after being elected.

Can't vote for anyone if you go with all the "mights" out there.

• Advertisement

I'd go with the "most likely" situation rather than the "might" situation. The 2 big independents have links and policies very close to Fine Gael. Their chances of joining that party would be much higher than, for example, them joining People Before Profit.

Advertisement