Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Nationally in 2023, 850 dog attacks were reported, including 430 on
    people. There were 240 on livestock, and 180 on other animals.

Heather Humphreys, Minister for Rural and Community Development, said she is “appalled” by the attack.

She said it’s important that gardaí establish the facts of what happened.

The incident comes a week after an unrelated dog attack in Limerick on a nine-year-old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

XL bully.

What an absolute surprise.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

She posted last year that "now they'll all be painted the same" after the Wexford attack..

I'm Just glad it wasn't someone else's child.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I hate these beastly dogs, I don’t see a reason for them other than machoism or bravado. I’d be suspicious of anyone who owns them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

A lot to unpack in that if true.

These dogs are just too powerful if they go rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

As odd as this sounds, I have thought about carrying a knife with me to the local park/playground, in case one of these dogs attacks my kids. I'm not afraid of dogs but I am not comfortable with pitbulls anywhere near my kids - especially when I see that the person walking the dog is barely able to control the dog on the lead.

A couple of years back I saw a dad with his daughter of about 5 walking along with their 2 pitbulls. The girl was scared of the dogs who had begun circling her.

What did the dad do? He slapped his daughter and told her to cop on.

I called the cops and reported it - didn't wait around to see if anything was done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

If there is somebody reading this thread that owns one of these breeds, could they please outline why in the name of fcuk you have one?

Why would you own a dog, or anything, that can kill people in an instant? There are circa 360 recognized breed of dog in the world, and that doesn't count all mongrels going around.

Why, would you pick one of those dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not reading back through the whole thread but are you talking about XL Bullies? Or the various "dangerous dogs" in general?

I've owned 2 Rottweilers in my time and if I ever did get a dog again it would be another Rottie. I grew up with Golden Retrievers and Collies, have had a Labrador in the past, and had a mini Jack Russell alongside the 2 Rotties (they're both dead now, the JR is in the home stretch).

The Rotties both came to me for rehoming. One because her owner was a feckless eejit who got bored with her after a year and one because the owners had a smallish house and when a baby arrived, they felt they couldn't cope.

Both of them were the most gentle and affectionate dogs I've ever had, including a load of Golden Retrievers growing up. The older one died early of bone cancer but the younger one lived to a grand old age of 12 before passing away in her sleep. We also had half a dozen cats through the house during her time and she was as gentle with them as she was to us. I have a video of the first time she met a 2 week old kitten, with Beth (the dog) licking and nuzzling the kitten and treating it like her own puppy. As Lucy the kitten got older she gave Beth the occasional slap simply because Lucy is a Tortie and therefore an arse hole, and Beth never reacted.

So that's why I'd pick a Rottie. Because the best dog I've ever owned was a Rottie, plus they're beautiful dogs. I'm well aware of the strength of the breed and I would adhere to the legislation regarding muzzles etc, and I'd never leave a Rottie, or a Golden Retriever for that matter, alone with a child.

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's no good reason to own one of these dogs. I'm sorry for the girl but she was genuinely deluded acquiring this monster and sadly paid the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's true. I'm not going to post the screenshot but her FB page is still public.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pitbulls and their crosses are dangerous. Stats from the USA shown they are responsible for 75% of serious injuries and deaths in dog attacks on humans. Think about that for a minute then consider that they only make up a small % of the dog population!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IF there was any justice, these rabid dogs would be turning on their scum owners and mauling them, unfortunately it mostly seems to be innocent people who bear the brunt of attacks.

I simply cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would own one of these dogs when there's kids in the house. Utter madness. It's like an unexploded bomb, but so many owners maintain they are the gentlest creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

People who own those dogs are idiots, and people who have them around children are scum.

Normal society shouldn’t have to tolerate these killer animals and their moronic owners in our midst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Don’t bring a knife out with you. The only way to get a dog that has clamped on to release is to cut off its air supply. Pick up a rope type dog lead in your local Euro/bargain shop and have that in your coat pocket should the unfortunate happen.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

Another horrific death Rip

After the poor child was mauled in Wexford there was lots of shock and horror expressed by government and they said there would be action taken after a long time reviewing the dangerous dogs act etc the recommendation was increase the fines that's it crazy when was the last fine people with restricted breeds don't care about the law as it's not enforced I see people out every day with restricted breeds not muzzled ,not on leads,etc I have even seen them walking past gardai like that and the guard doesn't bat an eyelid

It's an absolute disgrace what's happening with restricted breeds and it will continue until enforcement of existing law is carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If there is somebody reading this thread that owns one of these breeds,
    could they please outline why in the name of fcuk you have one?

Oh please don't. I listed in on a conversation on UK radio recently where a XL bully owner was taking about her wonderful non aggrieve (so she said) version of this dog breed.

To be frank listening to her she creeped me out. The way she spoke of it you'd think she was in a personal relationship with it. Despite all the deaths she was adamant the breed shouldn't be banned. It was just all so weird that she has such a thing for this particular breed, that an alternative breed just wouldn't do. I'm sorry but I think that's just plain weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

"An armed officer had to put 4 bullets into the dog to stop it"

And some people think these are suitable pets.

There was a case in the US a couple of years back of a guy who was killed by one of these Xl bully dogs. The guy was a 16 stone bodybuilder and he couldn't stop the animal from taking his life in a sustained attack that lasted over 15 minutes apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Seriously how many of these incidents will it take to ban these breeds? The old mantra "it's bad owners" well yes many of the owners of these kinds of dogs are scumbags but regardless the vast majority of dog attacks are from specific breeds or their crosses. It really is time to stop allowing these dangerous animals to be kept as pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I totally agree and ignore the ridiculous “it’s the owner not the dog” comments from the ill informed.
    These aren’t fcking shitzus - while yes those dogs can bite too, and all dogs can do some damage to humans given the right circumstances, they’re not going to kill and adult and are unlikely to do too much damage to a child - in general dogs don’t tend to go after humans in the street - but these breeds do no matter how responsible the owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The vast majority of owners are scumbags and then there's a few unfortunates who think they are hero's for rescuing them from pounds when the scumbag owners who invariably lose interest in them when the first big vet bill comes along.

They don't need a loving home, they need to be brought to the vets and put down. Councils also need to enforce the rules on owning these dogs in council housing and take the house/apartment off the dog owners if caught with a restricted breed.

Sometimes Government have to make decisions for people cos they are too thick to do it themselves.

This is one case. I'd set a date now for the total removal of them from society.

I've said it before on boards and I'll say it again. Put every singe one of them to sleep and ban the breed.

It will take the death of a child.

will even that change things?

it is only a matter of when a child is killed by one, not if.

We already had that young lad facially disfigured for life a couple of years ago. His life changed forever.

I'd be all for an amnesty now for them to be brought in and put to sleep. And I think if you own one of these and it mauls someone, you should do lengthy jail time. If it kills someone, you do life. That might make the hard men lose interest in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Too late now, but a lot of red flags in that report. It reminds me when talking to guy I used to meet in one of the park doggy play areas, he was telling me he didn't like the (lack of) control a particular dog owner had over their dog. So, he picked up his own small mutt and left. He was only gone when the same dog attacked and killed another small dog. You don't hear of these dog on dog attacks either. So, we've no idea how much it's happening. Though the gardai were involved in that case.

XL bullies need to be banned outright. They should be treated the same as other dangerous wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What a terrible week. Just a day or two ago I was reading about how a couple in the US lost their baby to a husky that had supposedly never shown the slightest sign of agression in 8 years.

Some years ago, I paid a visit with my then young daughter to a lady known to the family. She had an excited small dog that took an excited interest in my daughter, jumping up on her.

'Don't mind her, she's very gentle, she's would never bi… oh I'm terribly sorry, she's never done that before.'

I'm not kidding, before she had even finished her sentence addressed to my alarmed daughter about not minding her precious dog because she would never bite, the dog had bitten her on the arm, drawing blood, thankfully just barely breaking the skin.

Not only can you not trust any dogs, you can not trust the dog owners either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

if dogs like this XBully get to bite the calf of your leg it will rip completely off the bone , they will eat it before attacking you again …. So says our local drug dealer who has two of them ready if people don’t pay for their drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Advertisement