Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Follow Venezuela. The Sinn Fein plan to control immigration.

You didn't. You are irrelevant anyway.

Mary Lou McDonald did. She is marginally more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭pureza

SF do have a particular kink when it comes to odd regimes though, would you not agree? They do love a beret.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Advertisement

We've no embassy in either Cuba or Venuezela,what do the many and regular SF visitors do in those bastions of democracy and social housing,when they lose their passport,contact the British consulate ? 🤣🤣

No they jump the border into Colombia. Then they ring Catriona Ruane and she will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

lol. SF/ IRA / Republicans always seem to be on the wrong side of history. As my granny used to say, you can evaluate someone by the company he/she keeps ( or words to that effect).

When I think of Republicans friends overseas in the past, I think of Ghadaffi in Libya, FARC, Hamas, Sean Russell with the Nazis, even the IRA visit to North Korea.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/official-iras-terror-trip-to-north-korea/29760564.html

You think you have problems now, wait until Pearse is calling Maduro for advice on government economic policy.

Exit stage far left

I take it you recognise that the immigration handling so far has been a mess? (Could anyone be in denial that it isn't?)

I think it is extremely odd that you fantasise about Pearse Doherty but you have no issues with the current government's incompetent handling/organisation is creating fertile ground for the far right and quite frankly, racists to prosper here.

• Advertisement

Again you miss the point. Immigration is a huge issue for every EU country, not just Ireland. The bloc is creaking under an unprecedented pressure and voting intentions across the EU will reflect this across the board. The Irish govt has done a relatively good enough job in the circumstances to house 100k plus people at short notice, which is entirely divorced from the issue of homelessness as anyone with understanding of the 2 issues will attest to. Plenty of mistakes made no doubt, but show me a govt or system that has done very much better.

You try to paint this as FF or FG fault which is, as usual, evidence of either myopic naivety or deeply cynical opportunism. At any point can you acknowledge that a broader context is at play on these issues?

https://www.euronews.com/2023/12/29/the-simmering-migrant-crisis-at-the-french-italian-border

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/irregular-migrant-arrivals-almost-doubled-spain-2023-2024-01-03/

https://www.gisreportsonline.com/r/sweden-immigrants-crisis/

https://www.politico.eu/article/germanys-never-ending-migration-crisis/#:~:text=The%20recent%20surge%20has%20pushed,country%20so%20far%20this%20year.&text=The%20German%20public%20has%20also%20grown%20increasingly%20uneasy.

Good luck with that request 😂

You will no doubt have observed that Sinn Féin debating points on this topic are to ignore what you've said,vacously waffle that its the governments mess and ironically allow the government in the face of the pan European pressure look good with its clamp down measures spearheaded by the new broom Simon, whilst at the same time píssing off their own Sinn Féin base by being all soft and wishy washy on illegal migrants themselves ?

If there was a carlsberg cluster fook up for Belfast to do,they've surely hit the jackpot with this one?

So, instead of looking for excuses for a moment and broader contexts let's just keep with here for a moment.

You don't think it is FF and FG and the Greens fault that we have huge specific issues with immigration and the housing ofthose immigrants but you think that 'Plenty of mistakes made no doubt'?

Have I that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Like all topics " it's da guberments fault"

😂

But thats just it, you simply cannot look at the situation without the broader context. To ignore it is simply illogical, if not wilfully ignorant. How can one assess the response in a vaccuum?

All countries have huge specific issues with immigration. The challenge in itself is not of the governments making, and will be there irrespective of the makeup of government.

Mistakes around communication were made by the current lot in not controlling better the narrative, but again to think that a 'better communication plan' was going to sate the more hardline anti-immigrant groups is just folly. Ireland has helped over 100,000 Ukrainian people since the outbreak of war, and in such an emergency any and all places of refuge were always going to be needed. The illegal/undocumented migration issue is a global one, and you would have to be pretty thick not to realise it. The irony in all this of course is that while SF cry 'hard right' as the reasons for their declining support, they are only kicking themselves that they didn't shift to the right in time to capitalize on that populist trend.

The hijab was a fatal error.

I haven't ignored it. Nor have I used a broader context as an excuse.
    You said 'plenty of mistakes made no doubt'.

That was YOU who said that.
    Now, never mind SF specifically here, is criticism of those 'mistakes' allowed or not?
    Is it the duty of an opposition to point out those mistakes and make alternative suggestions as to how to avoid making them?

We don't need to look to Europe or the rest of the world to answer that simple question and whether you agree it is a solution or not, isn't the point either.

I sometimes wonder is it a dictatorship you guys want. How dare anyone criticise or propose another way.

Again with ignoring of the importance of context. It's not an excuse, it's context. There is a difference. Also, dictatorships do not generally concede errors or scope for improvement, so the notion that anyone here or in govt is thinking like that is outside the line. There have been no concrete alternative suggestions on immigration from opposition, just vague, faux soundings about consulting the people on the one hand, while dog whistling to more extreme elements with criticism of policing responses etc.

A thought experiment on the importance of context: when SF win the next Dail election and are in power North and South, will they dismantle the NI state, close Stormont and move all instruments of government into a new Dail? If they have the mandate North and South, then they should get on with it, no?. Or perhaps there would be a wider context to consider?

There have been no concrete alternative suggestions on immigration from opposition, just vague, faux soundings about consulting the people on the one hand, while dog whistling to more extreme elements with criticism of policing responses etc.

This is just your opinion.
    You avoided the question I noted.

Nobody has avoided the 'context'. We know there is a wider problem being experienced elsewhere but YOU said 'many mistakes' were made here.

Is it the duty of an opposition to point out those mistakes and make alternative suggestions as to how to avoid making them?

This is what the opposition as a body have done. What they propose to do to fix those mistakes has been also addressed. You don't think it will work, but then you would say that.

All valid criticisms welcome, it's a democracy after all. Admission that some issues could have been better dealt with is a positive in my view, a sign of maturity. Failing to accept that is immature by contrast.

Its a strange line to take that opposition in this country is being silenced somehow by the authorities or dictatorship wannabes. A Freuedian undercurrent on your part perhaps?

Ireland consistently sits at the top of international freedom index, brought to you by a century of FF and FG in government. Be proud.

Ah, give Maduro a chance. He has only been President of Venezuala for 11 years. Sure it took Adams a lot longer than that as leader of SF to get things right. Pearse has something in common with Maduro though. According to school records, Maduro did not graduate from high school. According to records here, Pearse dropped out of college twice. Sure they will hit it off famously. ;)

• Advertisement

Nobody said anything about the opposition being silenced, so you can stop that line of posting and deflection. .

Admission that some issues could have been better dealt with is a positive in my view, a sign of maturity. Failing to accept that is immature by contrast.

I accept 'many mistakes' were made Finty.
    The community I live in was recently in the news.. More than 30% of the population (now closer to half) is non native. There are little to no issues with this though, no protests, no buildings burned etc.
    Why? Because of how they were integrated and how people were kept informed. Local political reps (from most of our political parties) made it their business to take part in this process.

So I think the communication issue was huge in creating specific problems here. It was not done the same way elsewhere, many mistakes were demonstratively made and FF FG and Greens cannot run and hide, they were told again and again that it was a mistake. Just one of several.

You say there are "little to no issues with this (mass immigration) though".

Yes there are huge issues nationally, and will be more in the future looking at the experience of every other European country eg France Sweden Belgium Germany etc.

Not just housing, government finances, the strain on education, medical care, doctors, lack of tourism spin off in areas where no hotels are currently available for tourists etc. Lots of implications for many people.

Most of your fellow SF supporters disagree with you, so no wonder you are losing support by the day.

So what do you think the solution/way forward should be?

Throw our hands up in the air and say, well sure Germany and France and Sweden etc are in the same boat, what can we do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The current visibility and salience of the immigration issue can almost entirely be traced back to opening the door to 80-100,000 Ukrainian immigrants which overwhelmed what capacity we had. Given we have provided piss all else support I am fine with that, albeit it comes with poor consequences.

Yes, opposition should highlight errors and mistakes that the government make. But SF, as is their wont, do not highlight this rather obvious issue nor suggest that we shouldn't have done it. Mostly because they have campaigned for years on supporting exactly this type of thing, to give them some credit.

It's hardly completely unique to SF of course, but their "opposition" around the immigration issue seems mostly to revolve around just saying "you should do it better".

Anyway, I don't think there is any chance of SF or anyone else going into coalition with any of the more anti-immigration aligned parties. Any success they have will simply make forming a government as a whole a lot harder.

You are the one who is after saying you have "little to no issues with this (mass immigration) though", so presumably you think no solution is necessary. Most of your fellow SF voters disagree on immigration it seems.

Fair enough points there.

I think what added to the problems was the absolute opprobrium, not to mention, allegations unleashed on anyone interrupting the virtue signalling that was going on and who tried to highlight problems or what was happening.
    We know it was virtue signaling in the main as these people no longer matter as much and Simon has hardened his stance.

I didn't say anything about or use the term 'mass immigration'.

Why fabricate comments for people, what is your agenda here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Don't forget to question the FFG politicians about the health, and housing crises when they call to your door looking for your votes on Friday 👍👍

If you can, try and find out what their next crisis is intended to be and post here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Where woukd they hide her.......o sorry they could dissappear her tge Belfast boys were great at hiding people in bogs

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭acceletor

Advertisement