Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Per minute overstay fee and/or per min embedded into the pricing sorts this out instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Additionally Pope made an absolute meal of it. He describes getting stuck waiting at Enfield services and quitting and the resulting squeaky bum time as a result traffic in Longford. He fails to mention that he passed the Enfield Tesla supercharger, kinnegad Hub and ballinalack ultra rapid. He also had access to 50kw chargers at Longford and Ballaghaderreen, ultra rapid hub in Charlestown, fast chargers in Swinford, ultra rapids and fast chargers in Castlebar. Even if he set off with 30% that's a journey with no range anxiety given the many and good charging options en route.

One has to wonder at the wisdom though of owning an EV when you don't have access to home charging, I personally think his use case is better suited to PHEV - as he seems to be motivated to electric by environmental concerns. He could potter about town on electric when motivated to go out and charge it but also retain the option of petrol when it wasn't practical.

With home charging he'd have done the first leg of the journey on a single charge with most newer EVs. That said, better stop selection would have made his journey less stressful.

I couldn't identify the car he has though, it's an SUV but doesn't look like a VW.

Anyone know what hotel in Westport has the presumably 50kw DC charger?

I actually do that journey quite regularly. The stop is fermoy or frankfield on the way there and Portlaoise, Mayfield or Kill on the way back. What's more annoying though is that you are arriving with such a low state of charge that you don't have much ability for local driving if necessary.

I probably could do it without stopping but I'd be coming back in the low single digits. It's a journey that's beyond my own non-stop distance though and I'd be anxious of running out of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

I thought that was already in place. Didn't seem to matter to those 2 Model S owners though

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭3d4life

Vote No. 1 : Positron

edit : Just stumbled across a piece for Down-Under Doom-mongers

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/on-the-road/huge-backlog-tesla-graveyard-as-unsold-cars-pile-up/news-story/bf4ed19c3edccf65bad29b2e5a9c2752

( dont think the piccys show any reason to be alarmed about stock levels down there. I mean, do people really want to be told that their new car is on a 6 month leadtime ? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭crl84

Yep, he mentions "the app" and "ESB app" in the article, so it seems to me that he's only aware of ESB ones, and not all the other providers along his route…..

He said:

"As the sun goes down on Clew Bay, we arrive in Westport and are delighted to see on the ESB app two sets of charging points nearby. The first set is occupied by a non-EV car (rage) so we head to one in a hotel car park. It’s free.“Oh my God, it’s a fast charger,” my wife exclaims like she’s just seen a unicorn cantering through the town. "

On the ESB app, there's two ESB chargers in Westport, one type 2 22KW, and one at the Westport Leisure Centre car park - 100kW. I assume it's that one he means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Knowing in advance (advance been the keyword here) that on Friday you are going to Mayo.

You would use the slow charger on Thursday - not wait until Friday.

Bear in mind that we are looking at using the exact same local charging on Thursday that you are using on the Friday.

Except for two things.

1) if there's a problem you've bought yourself an extra 12 to 24 hours to rectify it.

2) your story might get a lot less interesting.

2) is why people who are into EVs will wonder if some "mistakes" weren't in fact mistakes.

Anyway I decided to try an experiment with a Better Route planner.

For his piece Conor Pope was stood next to a Mercedes EQB in a photo.

I used the following.

Car - Mercedes EQB 350 4matic

Journey plan inputted

Depart Stoneybatter with 20 percent battery - travel to Belmullet and return to Stoneybatter.

From the Stoneybatter address suggested by ABRP it recommended going to Sundrive Road Kimmage and charge for 27 mins from 19 to 79 percent.

Then continue to Charlestown Co Mayo for a 38 min charge.

Then on return stop at Carrick on Shannon for 20 mins.

Projected FULL trip charging time is 1 hr 24 mins.....

However this is based on ABRPs default settings including a minimum arrival SoC at charger of 10 percent.

The only change I made was to set departure SoC to 20 percent which I don't think you'd plan for if a trip you knew about in advance.....

The arrival back to Stoneybatter is projected to be 11 percent for example

Also worth noting is that if you do Belmullet to Stoneybatter and back to Belmullet - starting at 90 percent.

Then the projected departure from Stoneybatter on the return SoC is 45 percent. Same Merc as above - I just entered two separate trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That was my point most will unplug at 80% anyway because it slows down. I can't imagine at 20% you had long to wait charging at 95kw/h.

It took 30 minutes to get to 80% with a projected 20 further minutes to have sufficient charge to get home. Charge rate was down to 55kwh at that point and presumably would have dropped rapidly had I remained charging

I'm still surprised it was so slow, could it have been down to power sharing due to adjacent cars being at low SOC?

Could be thermal throttling if you'd been hammering it.

55kw isn't really that slow.

• Advertisement

I was hammering it the evening before😆 but not on the day of charging. I'm not going to say anymore but 95kwh at 20% on a 250kwh charger is very slow in my book. Will keep an eye on it the next few charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Answer 1: No need, Gas heating and cooking

Answer 2: I never said there were no options, I said there were poor options. Up until earlier this year there was a single ESB 50kW unit, usually waiting on 2 cars in front to start. Not too bad if visiting for the weekend, not great at all if you're living there for the months of July and August

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does he not need electric for the spark within the cooker to get it going?

Love how the story has changed. We've gone from no way of charging, to a DC 50kw/h charger with a queue. It's like moe telling a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Where is this house? Toora Boora caves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

Possibly doesn't affect Model S owners on free SC for life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No as it works in a power cut, in any case you wouldn't need 5A to get it going. What's the relevance exactly?

I think you're getting confused, the story never changed. Today there are many more DC fast chargers in that area, as there is in most of the country, but he bought in 2021.

At the time the car was cheaper than the EV equivalent, the running costs were slightly higher but there were no worries about range anxiety, charging availability or refilling times.

As previously stated it's a mobile home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

With a PHEV he'd have to find a charger maybe 8? times as often as with a BEV. Seems like a lose lose for him to have a PHEV to me

No, he wouldn't have to find a charger at all. What he'd do is that he'd plug in and charge when only it was convenient - topping up while shopping in lidl for example, or using the chargers at his destination in westport for his local holiday driving.

With an EV only and no home charging, he has to find time to frequently plug into inconvenient and expensive public chargers to have the capacity to do any journey. Basically, the current crop of EVs have too short of range to make public charging only too inconvenient to be worthwhile. Maybe when we see 150kwh vehicles hit the mass market (they are becoming available in China) things will be different.

• Advertisement

Lol.

I've no problem if someone said they just preferred a PHEV. You don't need such a convoluted saga, with more holes than a string bag, that makes a very weak case for PHEV anyway.

Someone might not use the car all year but once a year do driving holiday where they want a long range diesel for example. No different to people who keep a weekend car. I've a mate with about half a dozen cars, some old and most get hardly driven. He just likes having them to play with.

I don't really understand this to be honest. If a supply is limited to less than 5A, you have practically no electric power available, you couldn't boil a kettle. Most mobile homes have a 16A supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭yagan

You don't chose a phev to restrict yourself to chargers.

Phev is perfect for people with home charging who don't want to think about where else to charge.

If phev's like the ones byd sell elsewhere I can imagine they'll impact EV sales in Ireland.

They're just the better option for our lower population density.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think a PHEV is sensible option at all if you can't charge at home. There ideal use case is charging at home for average daily usage, then using the combustion engine when you need to go beyond. Ideal for people who do a mixed mileage of regular daily journeys and who often need to go beyond a 300km return trip.

"...He wouldn't have to find a charger at all..."

Like the studies show. In general, most are using their phevs like ICE only vehicles most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭josip

It would suit our needs perfectly. My wife could do her commute entirely on the nightly recharge and then no need to think about recharging on long trips.

I reckon that would cover most drivers in Ireland, drive it in ev mode 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

That logic baffles me. If you're going to drive in EV mode 90% of the time, why not buy an EV? You have a larger battery, less maintenance, fewer parts failing, and you're not carrying around a large engine for the 10% of the time that you think you need it, thus reducing the range of said battery. I'm sure people can square it off in their heads, but it baffles me nonetheless. If they were doing 50% EV mode and 50% combined/ ICE, that would make more sense… or 40/ 60 in favour of ICE. I can only see the benefit of a PHEV if the majority of your driving is outside the limits of an EV range, or if home charging wasn't feasible.

Some people don't want to have to think about where there are chargers, or if they'll be able to actually access them.

PHEV gives you the freedom to not think about that. Plus if 90% of the driving is in EV mode from nightly home charging then the motor wear is 10% of an ICE vehicle.

I was very open to changing to EV in the coming years, but I think I'll be going PHEV until EV charging is as ubiquitous as Lidl and Aldi carparks around the island.

• Advertisement

That would likely be true, but the reality is that his use case is not all that suited for electric at all. He doesn't have home charging and public charging is an expensive faff - paying for parking and ecars extortionate pricing.

Environmental reasons do however seem to be a significant motivator for him so I think a good compromise for that case is PHEV. He can have as much electric driving as he's willing to go out and charge it but at the same time not absolutely have to find public chargers to go anywhere.

Advertisement