Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭foxsake

in this context I was commenting merely on the definition of "holocaust denial" posted by somebody and how i found it was bizarre.

your angle of debate is odd tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So is your premise in fairness. Nobody is preventing anybody from asking questions but it's incredibly easy to tell pushing holocaust denial from genuine debate and curiosity, the latter of which should be encouraged.

I read history and I've been to Auschwitz. I know what the Nazis did so I'll be giving short shrift to any attempts to defend them or to whitewash what actually happened.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How what is? Can you be more specific? Otherwise you’re just shouting holocaust denial like a crazy person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

If somebody is randomly reducing the Holocaust numbers, not providing any proof and start claiming Zionist control is covering up the real lower numbers. Fair to call that Holocaust denial. Strangely enough @purifol0 has disappeared since I asked for sources and the number they believe is the real number…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭prunudo

Absolutely in that case. I'm just fearful of a time where a very broad definition gets bandied about and is used to label or quell a discussion of what happened.

So basically you're objecting to something that isn't actually happening. The people who get shutdown as Holocaust deniers are those who simply are making up shite or using completely dodgy sources, if any at all. Reducing numbers by millions is pretty textbook denial.

Nobody is getting shutdown.

What Holocaust deniers want is to peddle their poison without being called out on it. This is what is meant by terms like "PC gone mad", "woke" and "cancel culture".

Again, the posts I was referring to were not holocaust denial 🤷‍♂️.

Asking why other groups are not remembered in the same way as Jewish people is a fair question.

Shout Holocaust denial all you want, it’s not.

Yep poor choice of words, they get challenged to backup their claims. And if they provide them, they're generally very dodgy…

• Advertisement

They're actively reducing the number by millions so they're denying millions of deaths and attributing the accepted number to a Jewish conspiracy. It's textbook denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Prunudo I think you and I have a lot in common when it comes to certain topics, but that poster is absolutely trying to downplay the holocaust and what happened to Jews in Europe.

They as good as claimed the numbers were as a result of torture of Nuremberg defendants, which would lead one to believe they would have pity for SS and others standing trial for the holocaust and other German/Nazi war crimes.

Then they started having a go about CIA involvement and Israeli Jews just looking for extra reparations from Germany.

The reason I posted on this initially was I saw this poster and Galwayguy being accused of being deniers.

I had seen Galwayguys posts, but not the original offending posts by this poster.

The fact they have doubled down on the shyte is even worse.

I would be seen as right wing by lot of posters around here, but as WWII is one of my pet interests I only know too well what Germany and others did.

BTW the others include Romania together with the German collaborators and puppet regimes across Europe.

Stand up France, Slovakia, Croatia and a few others and admit it.

That is the type of right wing that I want to prevent and the idiots on the left and centre are playing into their hand.

And we don't need others trying to rewrite the 30s and 40s.

I am not allowed discuss …

Very much respectfully I’ve no idea what you’re talking about because I haven’t read any other posts, I was never interested in any other posts. Someone asked why is it is only Jewish people that are remembered. And why was the word holocaust only used to include jewish people.

I too am interested to learn why. And I agreed it wa as good question.

What they’ve written before hand, I really don’t care.

Im not denying anything, the posts I referred to were not denying anything.

I thought it was a fair question but yet some people (not you) are losing their **** 😂

I’m out, as I said, I came her to discuss Gript.

I don’t do riddles, what is that supposed to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I donated to Gript last November,like I did each November for the previous two years

Won't be renewing this coming November however, McGuirks position on Israel is not something I can in conscience have any part of

He's clearly courting American investors

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is the standard tactic to run away from a discussion, with the usual sly insult thrown in with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is your brain on Gript 🙄 (or in her own words "did ye not seeeee de Gript)

Post edited by For Forks Sake on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭moonage

Regarding the so-called Holocaust, there's an interesting and well researched video by a priest that I'm pleasantly surprised is still up on YouTube.

It might upset some truth deniers:

Mod

Warned and thread banned.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,808 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Dumping a Holocaust denial video over half an hour long. Pass.

The Catholic Church has a long, rich history of collaborating with tyrants and genocide. That's not the seal of authenticity you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Sunjava

I would make no comment about the holocaust because I am uninformed and therefore in no place state any facts or debunk any myths. All I will say is that the term/label holocaust denial/denier tends to be used in the same way other terms are used. It's effective because it's so poorly defined, similar to xenophobia, sexist, transphobic, anti-Semitic. These are blanket terms and tend to be used incorrectly. I'll probably be called a holocaust denier now, my point proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

In this particular case it was explicitly highlighted what constituted holocaust denial. There was absolutely zero ambigouity.

A scummy person claimed that the nmbers of Jews killed in the holocaust was significantly inflated to gain sympathy for Zionists.

I despise Zionists but that is no excuse for trying to rewrite history and downplay both the extent and intent of Nazi crimes.

The "I'm a victim because someone disagrees with me" trope is particularly odious in the context of holocaust denial, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It shouldn't be controversial to claim that the **** Nazis were the very worst that humanity has to offer. They systematically attempted to wipe out millions of Jewish men women and children along with eugenics aimed at eliminating black, polish, gay, disabled and Roma people from all their controlled territories.

The uniformed Nazis were pure unadulterated scum, and their willing collaborators in the 30s and 40s were little better, and anyone who thinks the passage of 80 years means it's ok to be a Nazi sympathiser today, is depraved.

• Advertisement

We're heading back there though. And fast. The mainstream right in many countries including the UK, the USA, Germany and France, added and abetted by Grift and others, are committed to this. Here in the UK, an actual holocaust survivor called out then Home Secretary Suella Braverman on her rhetoric:

Even on this thread, there are people peddling holocaust denial and trying to shut down criticism of this. The dehumanisation efforts my the mainstream media have been underway for some time. This is only going to get worse.

Advertisement