Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyone know if there are any bricks and mortar stores in Dublin city centre which sell vegetarian rennet? Or normal rennet if no vegetarian option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

I think it'll probably be easier to get the vegetarian version. At least when I was buying it (online) that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Big bake day last weekend ! 14 pies

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mpeter92

Those look nice. Can you what toppings you used? Looking for some ideas to change it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Pizza day tomorrow, bulk proofed for 2 days, the balls will be in the fridge overnight and a 3-4 hour final proof tomorrow in the kitchen. My last batch were my best so far so fingers crossed these turn out as well.

• Advertisement

Some lovely pizzas today from the koda 12 in the rain. I set it up just by the back door so I was standing in the kitchen while cooking outside. Maybe not the best I've ever done but still tasted better than most takeaways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I had my first ooni experience today, very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭maximo31

Nice! What would each dough ball have weighed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement

I generally use Pizza app if I can proof for more than a few days.

If I need a quicker dough I use Vitos polish recipe but drop to 63/65% hydration

Red onions, sun dried tomatoes, pesto, fresh red chillies, tesco pizza mozzarella, mutti pizza sauce, fresh basil…nothing too fancy

Dried basil and sliced garlic for marinara

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, I rang Sheridan's to see if they stocked any (figuring they wouldn't buy that they might be able to tell me if they knew of anywhere which stocks it); the lady I was talking to suggested ordering online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭hotshots85

Is this LIDL's first gas pizza oven? I know they have had pellet stoves and BBQ top ones. I wonder how well it would perform.

https://www.lidl.ie/p/milano-gas-pizza-oven/p10026112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I've certainly never seen Lidl or Aldi do this style pizza over before, and I've already shared it with a couple of friends, so thanks for sharing. I'm guessing the quality might not be as good as some of the premium brands, but they're not exactly complicated designs so I'm sure these will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If it gets to 400c it should work fine.

I actually find the Ooni gets too hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

hmm, that might be a good starter option before moving to ooni or grozny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

The Lidl milano wood pellet model which was available in UK last summer at similar price £79 had shocking reviews as shown from below YT review. cant reach or retain temps needed as fuel basket too small. maybe the gas model might be bit better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭hotshots85

seems one French review available on it ( has subtitles),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

French lad had trouble reaching much more than 300c.....but people in comments had no issue getting to 400 and above. Gonna grab one tomorrow and see....price is unreal TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

400 degrees isn't hot enough for Neopolitan pizza and looking at the pictures of the pizzas with the Lidl ad it shows. If you want something else it will probably be fine.

Not quite hot enough but close enough when price is entered into the equation IMO. Expectations are realistic, but I'm sure it could bang out a reasonable pizza. Might not be an exact Neapolitan but 90euro! Time will tell I suppose.

€89 u get a pizza whats in the picture..i think it will be similar to home oven..but do keep us posted how it does😃😃 . We may have a Ooni competitor 🫡🫡 if it goes to 400 in 15 mins

I doubt they were cooked in that oven...but time will indeed tell....hardly an Ooni competitor, it 89 euro from Lidl.... probably available for a few weeks per year at best.

If it actually reaches 400C or above I'd call that a fair bit better than what a home oven can achieve. Well mine anyway.

Other than the actual temp this oven may or may not reachmy other reservations are mainly the strange gas outlet positioning, 2 either side of a seemingly tight space may prove tricky, also the 1cm stone will likely require a bit more time than is ideal if wanting to cook a few pizzas back to back...

I still reckon for the money its worth a punt...if it's crap I'll return it.

Edit...picked up this morning. Burner is on 3 sides of oven not 2 as I anticipated.

Post edited by M00lers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Let the competition begin! 😎

I was curious about this - the French youtube review went into a lot of detail on some things (like checking for gas leaks etc), and very little on others - like showing the actual inside of the oven while it's on. Are you saying there's flames on the three sides? I'm guessing that will mean less turning. Very interested to hear how you get on - especially with reaching temperature, and turning - it looks small, so with flames on three sides I wonder will it be easy to burn the crusts?

My thoughts exactly. Yes, burner is on left back and right side...u shaped single continuous assembly. Burning crusts is a concern of mine also.....maybe turn down flames after launching?

Had to buy a different gas regulator, supplied one was for butane I think....have a Patio gas cylinder I was hoping to use....so the 90 euro is now 105 euro.

Propane burns hotter so maybe you'll be able to get yours up to the 450 degree mark? Keep us posted!

• Advertisement

I know with the ooni, you can't just swap the regulator and gas bottle from one gas to the other so be careful. I'm not sure why or what difference it makes but ooni say it's a big no no.

Post edited by .red. on

Advertisement