Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

If all the people granted permission to remain moved out of their DP accommodation there'd be no need for any newly arrived IP applicants to be staying in tents along the canal or anywhere else.

Your direct provision normally ends if the Department of Justice gives you a refugee, or subsidiary protection declaration or permission to remain, but sometimes you can stay in direct provision temporarily while you are looking for your own place to live.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/services-for-asylum-seekers-in-ireland/direct-provision/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Okay

That doesn’t change the fact that they still need to live somewhere when they do get out of direct provision though

When there’s a huge shortage of places to live and there are thousands of these chancers that by rights shouldn’t be here, of course people (who are also paying for this) are going to get pissed off. Surely you understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I'm sorry you find it annoying but if you were merely discussing why we are late to implement Danish-style solutions then that is largely irrelevant in the context of the thread. We are where we are and must now seek solutions.

I agree partly with your point that internal domestic policies can only go so far but I think this, too, is forgetting the context of the discussion, which was what Ireland should do. If other countries (Belgium, Denmark etc.) and non-EU countries like the UK are implementing policies that make them unattractive to IPAs then, surely Ireland must act rather than wait for EU-wide measures. In fact, the need to act is greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Of course, but I think people getting pissed off about 20% of the migrants into the country, is a bit strange, when they don't take the other 80% of migrants who need housing into account. You surely see the discrimination?

It’s not strange at all, that other 80% have things to offer the country, have come through proper channels fully legally and contribute. They pay taxes too so also have a stake in how their money is spent.

Versus the 20% that are mostly seen to be here by dishonest means and are simply looking to extract from the country while offering nothing. I don’t believe you genuinely don’t understand the distinction.

It’s a shame that the genuine cases get lumped in with these but again that’s testament to how badly the government have bungled this

• Advertisement

Well that's not true.

First, UK citizens can come here and claim social welfare exactly the same as Irish citizens.

Secondly, EU citizens have the same rights as Irish citizens, once they have been here a certain amount of time. They can claim social welfare for a certain amount of time. If the are injured/sick they are entitled to go on disability. And there are plenty that do.

Retired people are also entitled to come and live here, so not paying so much tax.

not to mention the returning Irish, who can also claim social welfare and straight into housing lists.

The 20% are not all here by dishonest means, unless you think all asylum seekers are frauds?

So, yeah it's strange to blame 20% of immigrants for a housing crisis that they have little to do with.

Yep. And what do all those people have in common? They have a RIGHT to those things. Yes anyone can claim asylum, but people that are here having destroyed their documents etc are more than likely not genuine I.e. they have NO RIGHT to be here or to any of our free things on offer

A large portion of them are here by dishonest means. As I said it’s unfortunate that the genuine cases get lumped in but that wouldn’t be an issue now if the government had demonstrated even a modicum of spine in dealing with the chancers.

Finally for the one hundred thousandth time, people are not BLAMING asylum seekers for causing the housing crisis. Nobody says that apart from people like you that try to obfuscate and argue in bad faith and muddy the waters. They are not the cause of the crisis, but they DO exacerbate it - I will not engage any more on the matter, it’s been spelled out umpteen times on this thread, if not directly to you. Just drop it as a “point”, you’re not fooling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Afaik arrivals in the UK have gone up despite it's deterrent policies. The Rwanda policy has been exposed as a farce.

Very little evidence behind the reports that people were arriving in Ireland because of it.

What deterrent policies were implemented in Belgium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Versus the 20% that are mostly seen to be here by dishonest means and are simply looking to extract from the country while offering nothing

Best available evidence, ie the ESRI reports shared earlier in the thread, shows the majority of asylum seekers working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

True there is no pressure to accommodate asylum seekers .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement

Im not sure why you seem to be annoyed at me/my posts.

Yes, those people have a right by law to be here. But so do asylum seekers. By law.

People with no documents, were approx 4000 or so last year, barely a drop in housing crisis, that they don't add to, because they are in DP centres

And for the 'hundredth thousand time ' all the posts blaming asylum seekers for adding to the housing crisis, are not blaming asylum seekers? Really? You must be reading a different thread to me!

If you believe that asylum seekers, who live in DP centres, are exacerbating the housing crisis, then the other 80% of migrants must be exacerbating it more, don't you think?

Why would I drop facts, as a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Not specifically called a deterrent but:

Asylum applications fall in Belgium following ban on reception for single men

The number of asylum applications to Belgium processed by federal authorities fell 11% in September, while in neighbouring countries applications are on the rise, Het Laatste Nieuws reports.

Post edited by Emblematic on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

The Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission has taken a case against the State over its failure to provide accommodation to newly arrived asylum seekers. If other countries are providing tents why aren't they having cases taken against them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0530/1452162-ihrec-high-court/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Scar001

I suspect our views on migration are poles apart.

But why we are focusing on 30,000 asylum seekers out of 5 million people is beyond me when 20% of the population is non Irish born. I cant understand how we don't have an immigration system that says we need x amount of builders, nurses, hotel workers etc. You get a work visa for 5 years and after that good luck. No passport or citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

Now youre talkin ..

Listen hi c'mere to me .. im not too far up the road frm ye at all. Probly shared an ex or 2 !) .. anyway lets get together .. Kerry's the right place for it all to kick off too .. great people .. solid salt earth folk .. perfect setting

I know a few lads in Castleisland be up for defending the kingdom. Doesnt Healy Rae have a lad also handy with the fisties .. if we can rope him in, 1/2 Kerry would follow ..

One problem we'll run against is a lot of Irish people are out working to pay for their new guests. But hey if a guest has to make his own coffee on the day we're all out marching .. well, tough.

So great thinking there .. start small .. we take back Kerry .. let the rest do as they want

Any deportees Kerry have will be cast off in the Blaskets. Blasket cases. Those islands need inhabiting anyway.

Ok lets get rollin .. your move

I don't know if we do, but we do have a work visa system. plus we allow EU and UK citizens to live here automatically. Also, Irish people can be foreign born.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

We still have a shortage of housing. It still doesn’t matter who is causing it. It still doesn’t matter who you blame. We do not have enough houses in this country for the people living here today. . If people keep coming here into whatever centre or hotel they will still never get housed. We have 500,000 young people living with their parents because they can’t get accommodation or can’t afford it. This will only get worse…….We cannot keep increasing the population at the rate we are and expect to solve this issue. But whose fault is it ? That’s the main question?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

There are historic reasons for our arrangement with the UK and it is reciprocal, as is our arrangement with the EU. We don't 'allow' them. We have agreements with them and we get the same benefits in return as we give to them.

"Irish people can be foreign born."

A person can be born of Irish ancestry and thus entitled to an Irish passport and citizenship, but that doesn't make them an Irish person. Steve Coogan is Irish for example, parents from Mayo. Would I call him Irish? No, he's English, as are Noel and Liam Gallagher and a whole rake of others.

Olivia Headon of whom we hear and see so much these days has a transatlantic accent, uses an Irish form of her name sometimes and calls herself a migrant. I don't know what she means by that exactly. Does she mean her parents are Irish and moved to Canada/USA when she was a child, or does she mean that she was born in Canada/USA and came here recently? Is she Irish or is she Irish-American? Irish-Americans generally have little in common culturally with Irish people. Nature, nurture, genes - funny old mix isn't it?

Someone born to Irish parents are Irish, it really doesn't matter what you call them.

Those particular people you mention are also English as they were born before 1983.

Do you think everyone born in Ireland is Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes, better to surround yourself only with those opinions that align with yours. It's much easier that way.

• Advertisement

What a strange remark. Why would you feel the need to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

I posted few pages back the list of MEPs and the votes in EU which they voted against to prevent migration from being resolved at eu level

It was the usual gang of Clare, Mick, Ming and Greens

Remember that come the elections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Isn't it obvious? I have never put anyone on Ignore. If that's your solution to people that don't agree with you, fire ahead. Get those blinkers on good and tight now...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The old international obligations line again. The only real obligations we have are to the people of this country.

I didn't direct my comment to you . Why do you feel the need to intervene?

But i think another smart remark reply such as above wouldn't make me think that debating your opinion in an appropriate fashion is something you are looking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

It's like the learner driver who keeps failing their driving test but is allowed drive home as if he had.

Fair enough but I don't think anyone should be advising other posters to ignore a particular poster. I personally have never felt the need to use the Ignore feature but even if I did, I would never go around telling other people to ignore a particular poster. There is no honour in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

I have done the same, when it's spam it's directed to the spam folder.

Advertisement