Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Acolyte - Disney+ - (***Spoilers***)

Options
  • 19-03-2024 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,649 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts June 4th.

"In an age of light, a darkness rises." The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that takes us to a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the Star Wars High Republic era. A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I know it might be obvious to most BUT to say it anyway:

WHERE - Streaming on Disney Plus.

WHEN - Starts June 4th 2024.

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I think you’ll find it’s 2024 lol

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Looks bad…. But least there is another season of Andor… and I assumed that was going to be awful so maybe the Acolyte will be good….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Failed to finish Asokha, just wasn't doing it for me.

Not sure if I'll give this any of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,649 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭fran38

The SW universe had reached saturation point ages ago. Apart from Andor, everything else was such a bore. I won't be watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

First time hearing of this today. I will give it a watch. It could be good like Andor or it could be rubbish like The Mandolorian.

Hoping it's good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly the franchise is so moribund it'd have to take breathless hype for me to tune in. Child Pixelburp would be baffled how Grown Up me would have so much Star Wars yet utterly apathetic to the majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Out stateside today (Tuesday). I believe it drops on Disney Plus at 2 in the morning here, for any insomniacs/SW Ultras out there…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it. It was OK. Not as good as Andor but better than Ashoka. Sone of the acting especially the bit at the end with the two supposedly jedi watching Mae was terrible and some of the editing is terrible too. Some OK Aorld Building but nothing amazing yet.

Some of it does not make sense like why would a Jedi readily drink poison? Not like he was forced to. Either he really hated his life or he must be very stupid. All that meditating for nothing.

Anyway they really should have had Mae. They messed up big time there.

Anyway I will watch a few more episodes when they are out in the hope it might get better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

neither according to the IT

It isn’t terrible – but nothing about it ranks above average. Decades after the original George Lucas movies, Star Wars has unlocked a new Jedi mind trick: the power of mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The acting and dialog is dirt. Real bad.

The David Bowie make up padawans. Also dirt. 180 million budget. C'mon

Green Shrek and kill off Carrie - Ann Moss? Roles reversed maybe.

Second episode not too bad. Mae is just a rehash of Reva.

Jedi Wookie - 10/10

Show 5/10 so far.

EDIT: 0/10

Post edited by 0ph0rce0 on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was disappointed after sticking the knife in her she didn't say "Dodge this!" And I thought Trinity as a jedi would be overpowered.

Don't even know why Sol brought the other 2. Jecki seems to be just there for exposition and for Yord I wouldn't be surprised to hear "Shut up Wesley Yord!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's getting a good doing on IMDB with the usual collection of 10 out of 10s saying it's better than excellent.

The two episodes were a bit meh and didn't deserve any more a 4/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jecki is meant to be half human so that's why she's looks like she just got her face painted, but it's still a design choice on their part so regardless of whatever "lore" they create for it.

Also she's X-23 (baby wolverine) from the wolverine movie and she's a lot shorted than I though she'd be so going to look tiny between Jackman and Reynolds if she's in that.

The green jedi does look weird.

How they play Yord is kinda dumb too, and those other jedi in the second episode look like they grabbed random people dressed up for comic con (their dialogue not much better)

It took a good bit of the day to watch the 2 episode, jumping on and off. If it'd been all dropped I probably could get through it over the next week but I'm probably not going to bother until it's all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,649 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not a fan of the bait and switch trailers just for the shock value of one scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Currently sitting at 93% Critics score on Rotten Tomatoes - and 35% Audience score, which is quite the gap.

I get the sense that most of these Star Wars/MCU TV shows start of as film scripts and are then reconstituted as TV scripts. The plot seems to move very slowly and there seems to be a lot of padding. There are exceptions (Andor, Wandavision), but I feel like the same criticisms of the other shows (poor SFX, bad dialogue, poor acting) also apply here.

Quite amazing that they managed to turn a massive budget into something so visually dull.

• Advertisement

I was a major SW fan back in the day. Now I don't think I'm the target market.

I enjoyed most of The Mandalorian, perhaps a 7/10 at most.

Obi Wan maybe a 5/10

Boba Fett, terrible, 3/10, and because of that I lost interest in watching anything else. I heard people say Andor was good and gave it a go. Back up to 7/10.

Then started Ashoka, watched 3 episodes and got no further, just couldn't muster the interest.

Won't be starting this new series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was a major SW fan back in the day. Now I don't think I'm the target market.

I'm not even sure DIsney know what its target market is anymore; if it were all skewing younger we'd be seeing more definitively kid-centric or kid-toned shows (Skeleton Crew seems that way inclined?), yet instead all the live action shows have felt like they're trying to curry favour with the ageing, legacy fandom like yourself or myself. While Andor was the most mature Star Wars output ever made, treading adult themes and concepts.

I think the comment about these being rejigged movie scripts might be on the money: there's a stench of something cinematic in the narratives, then pulled out into 6 or 8 episodes "TV Show" structures, without any kind of proper serialised sstructure or material to maintain interest. And it doesn't help that nobody competent has been hired to produce these things - again the obvious exception being Tony Gilroy, possibly the highest calibre of talent to direct or write for Star Wars. And I do believe Dave Filoni is gonna strangle the entire franchise's appeal with his toybox obsession with "lore"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

watched 2 episodes and thought it was really bad - won’t continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Completely medicore at best. The main character is OK to be fair to her and her little pocket droid is cool but absolutely nothing else about it stands out or even manages to be anything beyond weak.

My main issue with all these shows apart from Andor and Mandalorian S1 (maybe S2, can't remember) is that despite staggering budgets they universally (mostly) look so hammy and cheap, with poor action choreography, some awful sets, weak direction, stilted acting, etc.

Not to say there aren't good individual scenes because there definitely are, but they're drowned out by the complete chaff.

It's almost like they are directly trying to uniformly emulate the worst elements of the prequel trilogy in this regard and I really don't get it.

The other aspect is that they feel like they're aimed at specifically young kids and almost trying for a cartoon feel as opposed to them being intent on making something that works for people of all ages.

When Lucas made Star Wars he made something that was incredible for kids but also tapped into the sense of nostalgic wonderment for adults. No different to the approach taken by say, Toy Story or Shrek - works for everyone very successfully on different levels.

The vast majority of these new Star Wars shows seem to be tailored solely for kids and just kinda assume and/or hope adults will like it too and be willing to overlook the collossal level of nonsense plots, ridiculous contrivences to drive said plots, bad acting, lazy scripts, half-baked action scenes, etc.

I don't expect every Star Wars show to be Andor level in terms of tone and drama obviously, but I completely fail to see why everything else in that show - the acting, the direction, the cinematography, virtually everything is head and shoulders above all of the other shows and seemingly can't be replicated. Really baffling.

Anyway, The Acolyte. Absolutely no different whatsoever to Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Mandalorian S3. Whatever you thought of those shows you'll think exactly the same of this I would imagine.

I'm sure some will love it. Personally I'd give it a 4/10. Not unwatchable but not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure after the first episode. Some potential to be good but also can see the potential to get really annoying like that now completely overdone Japanese cinema fighting style or the "comedy" bits.

The real bonus though is the characters are not (as far as I'm aware) from older movies or Filoni attempting to show horny in useless cartoon characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Another 2 episodes in like Ahsoka and wont be continuing. This is awful. I love Star Wars but i just wish it would go into hibernation for a few years at this stage.

I thought it was watchable. My expectations were extremely low. The fight scenes were shot well with some good camera work. The lead character has charisma. And the show is moving along at a decent pace.

LAst few posts have made my mind up, won't be wasting any time on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭paulbok

Watched the first two episodes last night, and fell asleep halfway through the second one.

Really feels like a high budget fan made film, awful acting apart from perhaps the lead character, and the Jedi Yord, oh for christ sake, never wanted a Sith Lord to turn up and cut someone in half as much.

I thought this show may have been an interesting new angle on Star Wars, I had it in my head it was set hundreds of year before the Skywalker years. Alas it's just really bad, poor script, characters and acting. I'll probably give it until the third episode but not holding out much hope.

• Advertisement

you will watch all of it like the rest of us….search your feelings you know it to be true

Advertisement