Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Sending your best ten to another province would be quite the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who would be willing to move to Connacht? I can't see any of our out half's leaving to go west. It's a no win situation for Connacht if it's a loan and the player leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

How Is it no win for Connacht if the player goes for a year and leaves.

Jj hanrahan is injured and as a result they badly need an out half.

Is a one year deal for synman or a 6 month deal for barrett a no win situation for Leinster? as its basically the same situation.

A player coming for 1 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

For Connacht it's an internationally capped player (or U20 player) whilst they await their out-half to recover with no commitment to keep them long-term or jam them up with out-halves post JJ return.

And realistically, if Harry (as an example) is told that this year Ross is #1, Sam is #2 and Frawley will cover after that, it's a win for Harry (given that situation) to get game time at Connacht and show Leinster that he deserves to be starting. And it's a win for Leinster that their fourth choice out-half is getting minutes.

It's a hard to see how it's a loss for Connacht or Harry(?) in that situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Harry goes he isn't coming back - albeit he might not stay at Connacht. But ultimately Connacht need a fly half for half a season at least and the more competent the better for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a big win for connacht as they desperately need an out half. They only have Carty and the Academy lad. They need cover and Prendergast is a decent option for them.

Don't worry about connacht. Prendergast would be a decent solution to their problem for next year while JJ recovers.

But it seems Leinster has agreed to give Prendergast more responsibility as evidenced by starting him against Connacht. The person questioning his role must be Harry Byrne (and Charlie Tector). If Prendergast gets decent game time next year and gets leapfroged, I wouldn't resent Harry leaving to get first team games elsewhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tector basically has to move to Connacht or Ulster or give up on pro rugby, but I haven't heard a peep about him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

His options are not only Connacht ulster or give up on pro rugby. Loads of Pro options he could take if not top level urc, prem but us, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

personally I’d love to see HB at Connacht for a season. Playing week in week out would improve his game and answer a lot of questions about him. He should bite their hand off for the opportunity. At Leinster it will be more of the same, the odd game here and there but never having a chance to grow into the team and establish himself, even half a season of regular starts in Galway would be time far better spent.

• Advertisement

The rumour floating around was that Harry Byrne's extension was only one year, which wouldn't bode well. No idea the strength of said rumour mind.

To be fair, HB started 10 games for Leinster so far this season (albeit I suspect that number not to change). All eyes on the selection for this Saturday…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's fair , but he almost certainly needs to leave Leinster if he wants to have a meaningful Pro career.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

At this point, all four options in Leinster can legitimately say they still harbour realistic ambitions of being the Leinster outhalf. They've each had enough game time or big minutes to believe that. With that in mind, it's going to be exceptionally difficult to convince one of them to leave for another province.

Ross Byrne is the de facto first choice option.

Harry Byrne has had significant game time this season including big games in Europe where he has performed well leading to playing for Ireland in the 6N.

Ciarán Frawley has benched at outhalf, had a few starts there and generally been ok when given the opportunity. He has the added bonus that the Irish set up supposedly sees him as someone that can cover outhalf for them also.

Sam Prendergast is a highly rated youngster who has made 15 appearances this season having only turned 21 this spring. Also was brought into the Irish squad in a development role.

So there's plenty to convince all of the above players that things are going very well for them currently. Their roles don't appear to be holding them back. The first three guys have all played for Ireland this season. The last has been brought into the set up.

I think the recent contract retentions has bought Leinster a little bit of time to further assess but they will need to make a decision in the next 8 months. The rumours have been that HB signed his deal some time ago but Leinster are happy to let him move on after it or even before it if an agreement is reached as they're turning their focus to Prendergast. If they've been unambiguous in their discussions with him, he might consider the loan move to Connacht….but then again, why would he?

Connacht are in a very bad place, their squad is arguably set to become weaker next season. At best, no change in standard. Guys like Blade, Aki, Bealham, Heffernan and Carty are all the wrong side of 30. Their coaching team has no been a success. There's very little to attract any of the Leinster outhalves (even including Tector, I'd suggest as he'd potentially be just a squad player there with very little game time).

One of the worrying things for them must be that Mack Hansen's contract is up next summer and there's no way in hell the other provinces aren't circling….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭clsmooth

This season was Harry’s chance to nail down the 10 jersey after Ross’ injury, Frawley being required to cover 15 and Prendergast still being a bit green for this level. He did ok but when push came to shove, they backed Ross once he was back fit. He’s not played particularly well since and it’ll be harder for him to find minutes next year.

I think it’s in his best (sporting) interests to move on and also in Leinster and the IRFU’s best interests. A space has opened up at Connacht and I’d love to see him stay in Ireland and get regular time as a starter which he won’t get at Leinster rather than head abroad. Play well for Connacht and you’re still in the international picture and can leapfrog Ross who Farrell doesn’t appear to be a big fan of.

There's a place in Connacht but I don't think Dan Carter would look like a test player there right now. I don't think any peripheral player is well served by being in Connacht these days. Cian Prendergast was playing incredible stuff for them this season but still didn't make the Irish squad for the 6N and was only called up into a development spot after an injury to Ahern.

I just don't see any attraction for a player to move to Connacht right now. Will Connors said upon his renewal that he sees that the best place for him to push back into test contention is at Leinster. There's a strong case for that but, regardless, I think the worst place right now to try and get noticed by the Irish set up is in Connacht especially if you're an outhalf playing behind a pack getting beaten around the place regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Too right, other provinces fans just want to see Leinster weakened. Most don't even rate Harry Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Will Connors is a good example of a player not wanting to move to Connacht also.

Apparently when he was in the academy he had some agreement (verbal or otherwise) with Connacht that he'd go there if Leinster didn't pick him up.

Leinster offered him a 1 year dev contract which he took. Connachts legal team swooped in trying to say he'd reneged on his agreement and it got a bit ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Hansen will go onto a central contract so he can play with whoever he wants at that stage, if he decides to move to another province I can't see Connacht been able to stop him.

In terms of the 10 situation, this is the same every season I can remember, pick a player and the press/media head off on a rampage about "he has to move", of course pushed by fans online who have no interest in the player just see it as a way to reduce Leinsters squad.

Leinster have 3 10's, Ross, Harry and Predergast. You would have to expect at least 1 of them will be in all irish squads going forward. In reality either Ross or Harry.

An injury to either of Ross/Harry and you are down to one senior starting 10 and a young player who is just finding his way at this stage, yes getting minutes but would he be able to hold a team together against a top French side in Europe? I think he might struggle

You then have Frawley who was a 10, was moved many years ago from 10 and got into an Ireland squad as a centre to travel to NZ. Down to an injury he was played at 10 on that tour and the noise since has been fairly over the top. Would we have the same if Harry didn't get injured on that tour?

Also the media is strange, I have only heard the Molecast pick out the issues that Leinster might see him playing at 10 have, every other media with Jackman certainly leading the chorus seem to have found no faults whatsoever with him as a 10. It's just strange to me? you have multiple coach's now at Leinster and all of them don't seem to want to play him a 10, why is that?

He is a good player, don't get me wrong, but the coverage is odd.

Frawley to me, said it all the time, is a 12/15 who can cover 10 from the bench if they want a 6/2 spilt. Just my opinion.

To me I don't see why anyone needs to move, the pressure to move which is coming mostly from Jackman is because he is saying Frawley has to start at 10 and that means they have 4 10's.

Ah I can totally understand the feeling that one of them should move. I share it. No other province has 3 dedicated senior outhalves along with one that is well able to play there if required in Frawley (and I'd agree that he is more of a 12 than an outhalf).

Provinces generally have an established outhalf (who may/may not be in the Irish set up and is usually capped), a solid second option and then a younger option to come through who can have game time or a utility player who can cover 10. That's not normally counting guys in the academy.

Carty - Hanrahan - Hawkshaw (utility)

Crowley - Carbery - Scannell (utility)/Butler (academy)

Burns - Flannery/Lowry/Doak (all utility)

Those don't tally with Leinster who have three fully fledged outhalves in their senior squad in Byrne x 2 and Prendergast. Frawley is a utility back but I'd back him as an outhalf right now more than Hawkshaw, Scannell, Butler, Flannery, Doak or Lowry.

That puts Leinster in a position of far greater strength at 10 than the other provinces. Three of them have played at outhalf for Ireland even if for a limited time. Prendergast may be capped in autumn against Fiji. I can't recall such a lopsided situation previously. Injuries provided opportunities this season with Ross Byrne missing 4 months. But if he had been fit, that would have seen Harry Byrne and Frawley gain very few minutes in the Champion's Cup.

If there aren't injuries next season (and Ross Byrne might not even be in the 23), game time for someone like Harry Byrne is going to be very limited, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The situation was only really tolerable this year because Prendergast was the 3rd rung on the ladder and he is only 21, he is not under any pressure career wise and isn't really in a position to complain.

But next year, if the Harry Byrne and Prendergast roles reverse could you say the same about Harry Byrne being the 3rd rung on the ladder? I don't think so.

Maybe he'll stick around this year in the belief he can keep Prendergast at bay, but if Prendergast does take the opportunity to become Leinster's 2nd 10 then Harry Byrne will have to move next summer, or else accept that his career is going to be the rugby equivalent of a fluffer, paid to look after the main men (by giving them a rest) rather than being one of the main men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Harry Byrne would be a win for connacht. He's good enough now to help there.

Tector on loan would be pointless except as a warm body. He's a development project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Personally, I'd like to see Harry Byrne backed to start for the remainder of the season. It's a more attacking pick. I think it's necessary too, looking at how the attack has been going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Harry Byrne isn't remotely as bad as people like to make out. The whole situation, whilst I disagree with how its played out, looks a lot more reasonable when you take into account Leinster don't see Frawley as a 10. So you have 2 established 10s in Ross and Harry and a young 10 in Prendergast.

Sure, but we can't pretend that he doesn't take up the bench 10 minutes in the most important games.

Also I don't think Harry Byrne is bad at all. I was super happy with him this year, though I think when Ross was parachuted back in over him and with Sam coming up behind him the writing is on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harry is better than Ross imo, and the coaches made the wrong choice in putting Ross back in over him for the run in. Ross should be moved on and have Harry as 1 and Sam backing him up. It would also allow Tector to get some time, if he's worth the punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

I guess the Leinster coaches value RB's consistency, Harry has been hot and cold and has disappeared when the heat is on. I can see why they like knowing what they're getting and I'd say Frawley is closer to that consistency without making headlines kind of ten than HB, but losing all those finals raises questions about the Leinster coach's judgement on selection generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Harry at his best has never come near Ross at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Obviously the coaches see the players in training, but I'd lay a bit of the blame for Harry's inconsistentcy this year on them. He was in good form prior to Ross coming back, which they could have built on. Instead they dumped him, and we are back to square one basically.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was super happy with Harry while Ross was injured and would have been happy enough for him to start the QF. But I don't really think there is any coming back from being dropped like a stone from thereon in though.

Advertisement