Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Financial Rules Discussion - including Man City Charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I have slightly more hope that City might actually end up paying a price for their cheating than I did 48hrs ago.

That plan to sue the PL and the wording about getting the rules backdated points to them perhaps knowing that those 115 charges are coming in to land.

They know they can't legitimately get out of this so the tactic now is to change the rules. Seems like a final throw of the dice from someone who knows their number is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yeah, that's the way i am thinking. Seems like a desperate enough last throw of the dice.

Obviously City have better legal minds than me but i just cant see how a rule stating that deals have to be fair market value, that the clubs have voted in at least twice, in a democratic league, can be deemed illegal. Does that mean every single rule that the premier league have brought in could now be challenged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The case is about the fair market value aspect thought isn't it?

Lets say that they win and sponsors could pay whatever they wanted and it's backdated.

There are no charges in the 115 over fmv?

The issue is still city said the sponsor was paying whatever, but the reality is they were paying a fraction and city were paying the rest. That's still fraud. Still against the rules.

What is the obvious thing I'm missing?

City were hiding the source of the funds because they were paying themselves as owners to inflate it and then call it the market value?

Should those rules be changed then that will remove the need for them to hide the source of the funds no? Like is there enough of a separation for it to work?
    Then they no longer have to work with a FMV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

De Bruyne talking about playing in Saudi, rumours of Pep leaving leaving in summer 2025. Man City trying to counter an investigation with a counter-case.

Do Pep & KDB know the jig is up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

but what happens to their ill gotten gains? Do Liverpool, Arsenal, Utd get 2 titles each? A fine isn’t worth squat to a bottomless money pit.

For KDB he's just at that age to be honest.

Pep on the other hand - unless he's heading off for a rest I can't see any reason he would leave the City setup other than him knowing the game is up.

There is no other club in world football that can offer him that kind of setup and control whilst also keeping his family in jobs at other football clubs… Pep is in deep. For him to walk is big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But say fmv wasn't a thing. Their sponsors still weren't going to pay them what they said.

Its ownership funding you are talking about. Doing away with fmv rules still doesn't allow them to funnel money through a sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

he said he’d leave if the club lied to him about the cheating, says the man with 5 different Abu Dhabi bank accounts 😂

If they win this case surely the collective TV agreement will have to be ripped up. That would be anti competitive to the likes of United and Liverpool.

Would city be able to play in Europe as UEFA rules go by the market rate for sponsorship and not the made up numbers city will come out with.

They’ve opened some can of worms here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's the PL league City are suing. Even if they win that case they'd still have to comply with UEFA FFP rules so maybe it wont be the financial free for all we think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they need to get rid of the PL charges. if they are proven, you would expect relegation to league 2 and like a 5 year transfer ban + stripped of titles (as an aside, i dont think any titles should be redistributed).

that'll **** them as equally in the uefa competitions.

i'm hoping this is the last roll of the dice from them, and a futile one at that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think that's a very optimistic expectation of their punishment, even if they get found guilty of all charges.

I'd love it to be the case, but I suspect it'll be far less severe.

A thread on the financial growth of PL clubs over the last few years. One striking set of numbers was this;

Of course this rise is all down to Man City's "world class commercial team" and nothing to do with Ethiad pumping them full of money via inflated 'sponsorship' deals whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City Football Group keep their stake in Girona at 47%, as to not go over the 50%, that would mean that they couldn't play in CL, so they keep it at 47%, and then they use Pep's brother to hold more of the stake in club. In reality of course the hold more than 50%, but it's what they do to cheat the system.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

United, Nice and City, Gerona have all been given permission to compete in the same competition next season as a once off by UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Who decides on the cases here? Is it an independent panel or does it actually go to court to be decided by a judge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i honestly feel like this is all a bit mental. The football world is being taken for a bunch of absolute fools.

it's plain as day what has been happening. I saw a stat earlier that said the rest of the top 6's commercial revenue went up between 100% and 200% from 2009 until 2019. City's went up by over 1100%.

but we're supposed to believe it is all down to their brilliant commercial team.

And this is all while they have been purposely delaying the process, while trying to tell the fans (with a straight face) that they want this done as quickly as possible.

it's absolutely astounding that this has been allowed to go on so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The fact that City are seeking damages if this arbitration decision goes in their favour results in a situation where the Premier League will be forced to give Manchester City money that the Premier Leagues rules prohibited Etihad Airways and other Abu Dhabi based companies from siphoning into Manchester City.

In effect, Abu Dhabi never incurred any material loss, but will be expecting the Premier League to pay money of equal value to what they wanted to move from one of their own bank accounts to another.

If that happens we may say goodbye to football once and for all, the only suitable reaction should be a mass boycott of games and subscriptions until those crooks are forced out.

Every player and manager and tea lady at Manchester City is culpable in this as well, that end of season review with Al Mubarak was stomach churning in the extreme. The fans have to assume some of the blame as well, some of the cope being posted on Blue moon is mental gymnastics of Olympic standards.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I have slightly less hope. I say a deal could be struck, and I'd imagine that's what City's angle is. This lawsuit could financially cripple the PL depending on how is goes. I'd imagine in the background both sets of lawyers are like, we'll drop the lawsuit if you can reduce some of the 115 charges. Pay the fines on the misdemeanour ones and move on with our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not before the lawyers build up the billable hours of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Of course, poor buggers trying to make ends meet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

And that just proves what an absolute disaster state ownership is in football.

They expect everything to happen on their terms because they have far more money than anyone. The whole way of thinking seems to be sign up to whatever the rules are, do whatever you want and by the time anyone complains, you’re either in a position of influence to change the rules or you just pay the fine. Either way you always get what you want.

With the Premier League though, that doesn’t really work. The value comes from the competition itself. Any team could get relegated and the competition would still be wildly popular. Decisions are taken with a 2/3 majority. No one clubs interests are more important than the others. I think Abu Dhabi miscalculated here, and likely thought that by spending enough money, City would be considered critical to the PL brand and punishing them would have serious effects on the overall value of the league.

Obviously that’s not true, and now City are stuck in a democratic system that they signed up to and can’t buy their way out of. To them, the idea that they may have to compete with other clubs is so intolerable, it’s preferable to cripple the foundations of the league and reshape it into a plutocracy where the word competition isn’t even paid lip service.

This should be a lesson to any league or sport looking for investment from nation states. They have no interest in working with you. As soon as they’re in, you work for them or they’ll burn the house down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I know it's happened in other leagues but has an English team ever been relegated for financial misdemeanors? Points deductions, sure. Not sure there's really a comparable English case with City though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nail on the head here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Absolutely brilliant piece in todays Times.

Hypocritical Man City’s only goal was sportswashing but league let them in

Panicking powerbrokers now realise the scale of their error – unless these cuckoo owners are expelled from the nest, English football’s whole ecosystem faces collapse

Did they suppose the document would never leak? Did they not count on the brilliant investigative reporters at Times Sport, the best in the business? Did they hope that their perversion of the words of John Stuart Mill, in his wonderful tome On Liberty, would never see the light of day? Or do they no longer care about how they look, knowing that a proportion of Manchester City fans will take to social media to defend the indefensible, turning tribal allegiance into an advanced form of cognitive dissonance?

“The tyranny of the majority” is the breathtaking claim of City. They argue that their freedom to make money has been limited by the Premier League’s rules on sponsorship deals, which forbid related companies (such as Etihad Airways sponsoring a team backed by Abu Dhabi) from offering cash above the commercial rate determined by an independent assessor. They say they are being persecuted, held back by a cartel of legacy clubs that want to monopolise success at their expense.

I am guessing that all fans will see through this comedy gold. City have won the past four Premier League titles and more than 57 per cent of the available domestic trophies over the past seven years. According to my former colleague Tony Evans, this makes them the most dominant side in top-flight history: more dominant than Liverpool in the Seventies and Eighties (41 per cent), more dominant than Manchester United in the Nineties (33 per cent).

Indeed, they are almost as dominant as the emirate of Abu Dhabi, which understands the concept of tyranny quite well having engaged in human rights abuses of a kind that led Amnesty International to question its treatment of immigrant workers and to condemn the arbitrary detention of 26 prisoners of conscience.

But dominance is, as Einstein might have said, a relative term. City want more money than they have at present, more dominance than they enjoy now, more freedom to spend on players (their bench is worth more than the first teams of most of their rivals) so that they can win, what, 40 league titles in a row? That would indeed turn the Premier League from what many regard as a fairly enjoyable competition into a tyranny of the minority.

And this is why the story revealed by my colleague Matt Lawton will cause the scales to fall from the eyes of all but the most biased of observers. The motive of City’s owners is not principally about football, the Premier League or, indeed, Manchester. As many warned from the outset, this was always a scheme of sportswashing, a strategy of furthering the interests of a microstate in the Middle East. It is in effect leveraging the soft power of football, its cultural cachet, to launder its reputation. This is why it is furious about quaint rules on spending limits thwarting the kind of power that, back home, is untrammelled.

And let us be clear about what all this means. An emirate, whose government is autocratic and therefore not subject to the full rule of law, is paying for a squad of eye-wateringly expensive lawyers to pursue a case in British courts that directly violates British interests. For whatever one thinks about what the Premier League has become, there is no doubt that its success has benefited the UK, not just in terms of the estimated contribution to the economy of £8billion in 2021-22, but also through a tax contribution of £4.2billion and thousands of jobs.

Yet what would happen if the spending taps were allowed to be turned full tilt by removing restraints related to “associated partners”? That’s right: what remains of competitive balance would be destroyed, decimating the league’s prestige and appeal.

Remember a few years ago when leaked emails showed that Khaldoon al-Mubarak, the City chairman, “would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them for the next ten years”. Isn’t it funny that such people love the rule of law abroad — seeing it as a vehicle for outspending counterparties on expensive litigation — almost as much as they fear it at home? It’s as though City have ditched any pretence to care about anything except the geopolitical interests of their owners. What’s certain is that the Premier League can no longer cope with multiple City lawsuits and has had to hire outside help. In this case, as in so many others, the rule of law is morphing into something quite different: the rule of lawyers.

In some ways you almost feel like saying to football’s now panicking powerbrokers: it serves you right. These people welcomed Roman Abramovich, then stood wide-eyed while state actors entered the game too. They surely cannot be too surprised that the logical endpoint for this greed and connivance is that the blue-ribband event of English football is now fighting for its survival. When you sup with Mephistopheles, you can’t complain when the old fella returns to claim his side of the bargain.

But the dominant sense today is the shameless hypocrisy of the owners of City. They said that they were investing in City because they cared about regenerating the area. They now say that unless they get their own way, they are likely to stop community funding. They said that the commercial deals were within the rules; they now say that the rules are illegal. They said that competitive balance was important for English football; they now want to destroy it. They said they were happy with the democratic ethos of Premier League decision-making; now they hilariously say it’s oppressive.

I suspect at least some City fans are uncomfortable with this brazenness and may even be belatedly reassessing the true motives of the club’s owners. What’s now clear is that cuckoos have been let into the Premier League nest. Unless they are properly confronted or ejected, they could now threaten the whole ecosystem of English football.

The chickens are truly coming home to roost and Citys mask has finally slipped. Its unconscionable that they will get away with it.

Not in the premier league era anyway. I dont understand this relegating them. The PL has no control over the EFL they're seperate bodies I assume they have no juristiction to send them down the ladder. I know they'll probably throw cash at the EFL to take them but I can't see it happening.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The journalistic shackles are well and truly off

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

it’s probably a matter now of how strongly 16/17 PL clubs feel about City’s threats over the last few days. Could they circle the wagons and threaten a breakaway league? City then wouldn’t be expelled, just excluded from a breakaway. Obviously there would be ramifications for those clubs in terms of legal ties to current PL, but might be something they could be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think it's telling that even the City fans online are really only falling into 2 general camps.

There is one section of them who are now just claiming that they are tired of all of this, and just want to be allowed to enjoy their success without having to worry about financials; that they are the victims in this, and merely just want to enjoy football.

Then there is another section who are blindly screaming that this is their chance to destroy the Premier League and expose it for being run by a cartel of traditional big clubs.

There is very little attempt in their fanbase to actually address what has happened, apart from merely saying 'we trust the club'.

Sportswashing in plain sight, and they don't even know it's happened to them, or they know it, and simply do not care, thus proving that sportwashing is a very effective thing.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

By financial misdemeanors do you mean bribes?

Rangers went out of business because of their unpaid tax bill, the club was liquidated. A new club was formed that had to apply to join the Scottish football league. In Italy, Parma went out of business due to financial collapse, like Rangers they joined the bottom tier of the league as a new entity.

Clubs have been relegated for being found guilty of corruption:

Juventus and Fiorentina were caught trying to influence the appointment of referees for their games.

Marseille were found guilty of match fixing to secure the league title.

In Portugal, Boavista were relegated for match fixing and bribing match officials.

There has been no suggestion that Man City have influenced match officials, if they were then it would be game over for the club. However, it's not hard to imagine that there may be an investigation into the Premier League match officials that freelance in the UAE and Saudi Arabia but that could open another kettle of fish.

@Talisman mentioned about paying Mancini off the books in another thread, via leaked mails published by Der Speigel. This picture shows more leaked mails regarding the source of funding and how Man City's owners were going to gift Ethiad some money to then send onto Man City as 'sponsorship' money, in heavily inflated on the record amounts.

Thanks for that. The powers that be deleted the post in the other thread.

For those that haven't read Der Spiegel's article from 2022, here's the link.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Reading through some of the details of City's lawsuit is actually staggering. The absolute hypocrisy from them, and sheer audacity to try this. Then to be backed up by other clubs. Fuckin hell.

Perez and Agnelli licking their lips at the thought of a break up in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Everton might finally get some European football

I'm not sure if it's relevant or not but if memory serves me correctly, Mansour own an awful lot of land and property in Manchester and were sold that land (from Manchester City council) on the preface that they built social & affordable homes for working class people on that land. Does all that come into consideration now too?

When Man City are threatening to withdraw funding from the women's team and their community projects, what else will they withdraw funding from? Maybe they are sound people though and will keep that housing etc separate to their interest in the singular football club and won't be related at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rules and polices are not law, but in the spirit of the game you obey the rules and polices of the competition you're playing in. You don't challenge the lawfulness of them, I'm sure lawfully, a business can use their employees for tasks when they please, then can send 10 employees off to a job, while in PL you can only use 5 subs , I'm sure in ''law'' you could challenge that, and win , but it's not in the spirit of the game to do that. It's basically what City are doing, challenging the spirit of the game, in a court of law , simply because they want to be able to do as they please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's disgraceful behaviour to treat an entire community like a play toy and threaten to withdraw funds because they can't get their way. I think the gloves are off with the journalists now the past few days though, there's been a significant shift from oh look over there! to directly reporting on City's dirty laundry. Hopefully the Times keep at it and unearth some more juicy stuff.

• Advertisement

Your right there Toby I'd say. Eg in Australia sports have a hard cap. Every club has $X to spend on wages across the board. It's the same amount for everyone (there's extra like 3rd parties but u get the gist). It's well known that if it was challenged in court players would win and it would be a free for all but they don't challenge it. There's a bit more to it but it's the closest comparison I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭ronjo

It does seem that the analogy with Lance Armstrong is becoming even better.

Didnt he try and get is sueing in first before he was stripped of his Tour De France wins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Obvious answer down the road (in 5+ years) would be, that to play in the PL, clubs have to be majority owned (51%) and controlled by supporters.

And in other things that will never happen...

Keith Wyness, former CEO of Everton:

"Given the time this is taking, the Premier League will be fully prepared.

I think what we’re seeing is City going to these extreme lengths because they fear expulsion is really an option if they’re found guilty of these 115 charges. They’re throwing everything they possibly can at this.

I would ask City fans to look beyond blind club loyalty and really think about this. Put pressure on your club, because this is going down the wrong road for football."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Will never happen. There's essentially no history or culture of fan ownership in England football. In fact, it's going the other way, one person owning multiple clubs rather than one club owned by multiple people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Absolutely agree.

You would hope that eventually there'll be a breakaway league that insist upon it, given the dissatisfaction amongst local support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hard to see any meaningful changes when stuff like this isn’t seriously looked into from an article behind a paywall.

https://twitter.com/david_ornstein/status/1798839486144733666?s=46

https://twitter.com/david_ornstein/status/1798839486144733666?s=46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

uefa dont allow those types of transactions for their FFP calculations. maybe chelsea dont care now as they are in the conference league. have uefa sanctioned any club recently for FFP breaches?

but its mad how the clubs kept that loophole open.

they are all far too self-serving which makes me inclined to support the appointment of an independent regulator.

Yeah UEFA don't allow that, and are stricter on the FFP losses too.

Chelsea paid a fine for breaches recently, so this would be their 2nd breach. A few clubs have had 1 breach but I can't think of any off-hand who have had 2 close together.

Obviously all the podcasts, talksport etc are full of the Man City story this week and the likes of Kieran Maguire and Stefan Borson are doing the rounds which is good. However not one that I can find have had a sports lawyer on to try and get some sense of the chances City might have of winning this lawsuit. I find that odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement