Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

THe thing is, any one of us could be the victim of a dog attack, whether we own one of not.

In my time I have walked past pit bulls out on their own.

I have walked past pit bulls out for a walk on a least but not muzzled. If that dog wants to get away from the owner and attack me , nothing is stopping it. Not me, not the leash, not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It's very strange alright, but TBF he wasn't standing there filming. It was his ring-camera that took it.

Why he sent it is frankly bizarre though. Unless… could he have been a neighbour who was terrified of the dogs and had been dismissed by the family for saying they were dangerous? I don't mean that would excuse him sending graphic footage to them, but if he was drunk or whatever at the time it might help explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

The owners of these dogs seem to all have something in common.

Ignorance.

They are ignorant to the fact the dog doesn't know he's a pet, ignorant to how strong he is, ignorant to how aggressive he can be ignorant to how an attack can very easily kill, ignorant to the dogs nature etc.

They just go on with 'ah me lovely babba' nonsense on facebook.

You said it. Completely delusional.

Sad that people's ignorance and arrogance gets them killed.

Faith it seems is cruel and unyielding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

unfortunately there’s a lot of people out there who don’t believe that

What town is that do you mind be asking? Can't be that bad? Sounds like a mix of Mad Max and the Purge you are describing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It said it was "high tech CCTV" which to me, does not mean a ring doorbell but maybe. I assumed that the person may have been a partner or ex-partner of the woman killed and that was why he had access to the CCTV at the home. I didn't realise at the time that the attack happened in the garden, I thought it was in the house. He sent the video to the family member while under the influence of drugs so not exactly thinking straight but at least he called emergency services immediately first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

LOL a Ring camera system IS high tech to me, so maybe that's why I assumed that's what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My local rural walk takes me past a house where there are three large German Shepards, securely kept from the public by 1.5m metal fence. They run up to fence barking away anytime anyone walks past. Makes me a bit nervous every time as I'd estimate they could clear the fence with ease if they had a mind to.

An added detail is that it was the womans 23rd birthday she died on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I firmly believe that anyone who keeps a dangerous dog is mentally challenged in some way. They are definitely not paying with a full deck.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A German shepherd could easily jump that fence if it wanted to, it wouldn't require effort. Their athleticism is a big reason why they are used by police and military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

from St Marys park, living with 4 dangerous dogs in the Limerick country side, with Hi tech security system on the house. Throw in someone with access to the footage sharing it, while possibly on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭boardlady

Have you kids? It's the same thing. People want to nurture and love something. Simply put.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Those XL Bullys are like Dog Sharks

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

It's an interesting point. Love and nurture a different species? Don't know. A pet doesn't understand he or she is a pet so really is it love? A 'pet' seems to be only placated when they are very well fed and well looked after but is it love or domestication?

Suppose some would argue how can you truly love something if you take away it's freewill. Like I said a pet doesn't know he's a pet.

Anyway maybe the poster questioning pet ownership is this fella from honest ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

A friend of mine is absolutely terrified of dogs due to being traumatised by an attack as a child. A pitbull being walked by a woman who just wasn't strong enough to control it and it went for him. He carries around a penknife on his keyring purely in case a dog attacks him. The fact that it just became normal for him to do that is pretty sad but I guess it comes down to that childhood trauma plus of course the very valid point you make that if one of these dogs decides to go for you for whatever reason, few owners would be able to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Look at the amount of attacks in the past few years in the UK, even after the ban a quick Google found multiple attacks by XL Bullys this week alone. Have a quick search for a video of one of these yokes running rampage in public (quite a few were recorded in UK towns recently). Add in that 95% of the people that own them seem to be scrotes. A great combination of terrible owners and horrible breed that isn't a pet. They need to be banned outright or heavily restricted at the very least. Every turd drug dealer/scummer shouldn't have access to things like this

A penknife won't do much to a XL Bully. Best to try and crush his ribs or strenum that's exposed when they lock down on someone. Easier said than done but to a dog like that it's a fight to the death when they engage. They see it as you or them. People need to get violent with the dog attacking and very fast otherwise you will bleed out in no time.

Like a Terminator these dogs can't be bargained or reasoned with so it alway bizarre when they attack and people are trying to get him off with little slaps that wouldn't even tickle him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, that was my reading of it too, that it was her partner (maybe ex-partner) but they caught the footage on the house cctv. Why they sent it, to anyone, is beyond my comprehension.
    She ran out of the house, apparently. Thankfully nobody else was injured or worse.

May she rest in peace. A truly terrible and needless death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Completely agreed.

Those dogs may not have been abused in the conventional sense but having such large, powerful breeds & not spending the time, money & effort to train & social them properly is a recipe for disaster. I would also bet the farm that those dogs were displaying red flags all over the place prior to the incident. Even things like climbing onto the couch without being invited needs to corrected with a dominant breed.

It's not just scumbags owning these types of dogs that's an issue, it's people with little or no dog experience, little or no knowledge on how to read a dogs body language. A dog baring it's teeth is not necessarily aggressive & a dog wagging it's tall is not necessarily friendly.

Dogs are not human, they don't want to be hugged & they don't want to be kissed & they are not there for our amusement. A laid back dog might tolerate this treatment but a less tolerant one will eventually react.

I personally don't believe banning any breed will work as another will come along to fill the void. I think a special license should be needed to own any breed over a certain weight & that license should need renewing yearly after a temperament test on the dog & an elevation on the owner. But that would be too much like hard work for the powers that be & would not soothe those who just want the dogs destroyed so I guess that will never happen & the cycle is destined to be repeated, just a different decade & a different breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Banning and enforcement of the ban would be a good start as the authorities could act on reports and take away the dogs. As for another agressive new dog breed being introduced it too could be banned.

• Advertisement

The people who own these dogs would never bother with yearly licenses.

Anyone who needs an extremely muscular aggressive looking dog very clearly has insecurities and they think oh this dog will command respect or make me 'respected' when it's the opposite is the case.

People will see them as drug dealers or rough riff raff and not want to be near them.

Maybe these people need psychotherapy more than anything.

A therapist could help them with reality and reality testing making them see a big huge dog isn't going to benefit them in fact could very well hinder them or worse kill them.

As others have said the big problem with these dog owners is they are delusional. They see a XL bully as a passive little angel, butter wouldn't melt.

It's these people's ignorance sadly will lead to more deaths as they will have these dogs around children etc.

Nothing will ever get through to them it seems. Outright ban? Hmmmmmm

These people will then move onto Rottweilers or Dobermans instead.

Pitbulls were banned in England in 1991, 33 years later there are still Pitbulls in England nothing much changed other than Pitbulls were just upgraded to XL Bullies... rinse & repeat.

Nor will they care if the dogs are banned, sieze their dog, they will get another, no skin off their nose.

Or the exact same so why not try something different?

How could it be the same unless there is no enforcement at all?

What would something different look like anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well Governments have the ability to enforce laws, its whether they have the will. Its the same with everything.

How about your dog kills someone , you get life in prison? That might deter plenty of owners.

It mauls someone and leaves them with life changing injuries? You get 10-15 years. I would sign that petition.

There's an enforced ban in England (aswell a certain states in America) that hasn't worked in 33 years, if anything it made things worse with the subsequent introduction of XL Bullies, a bigger more powerful version of a Pitbull.

I've made a suggestion of something different above, something that doesn't just apply to Restricted Breed owners but dog owners across the board.

Exactly, targeting the dog is getting us no where, target the person we might see something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm not sure at all, it's owners parents came and took it away (owner was on holidays and I knew the girl minding it). It was 11 months old apparently and they said it never did anything like that before.

She works from home so minds dogs for cash but I think she's got decent custom from less than decent people with less than decent dogs, she takes these mad yokes in. Many other dog owners wouldn't .

It probably has bitten since.

Advertisement